Is Naismith finished?

kimosavi

16 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

When did he last play well?

Get what you're saying.

When was he last fully fit?

He's been unlucky with injuries. His experience is invaluable around the team, dressing room and young players. If fit, he'll absolutely stroll this league.

I don't think he's finished just yet!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• CloustonHMFC

• Last Laff

• kimosavi

Apparently he was taken off at HT as a precaution.  Gives me the fear that we haven’t recruited a striker, as it’s looking like another bit part season for Naismith.  Precaution by our medical definition usually means two months out rather than six months out. 

Aye he's finished.

Apart from the fact that Robbie is desperate to play him in our team and the national manager is keen to get him back in the Scotland team, aye he's finished.

MarkDevriesScores4

I thought he done a lot of good work in the previous game. Annoyed the hell out of defenders and midfielders, won more than his fair share of 50/50s and headers. That stuff doesn’t get the appreciation from fans but is important.

didnt see him do very much yesterday.

”Finished” is a bit strong in my opinion. He does need to up his game. I think working with Boyce will be better for him. 

we definitely need another striker. That much is obvious. The fact we don’t have a no.9 suggests a deal maybe fell through.

35 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Apparently he was taken off at HT as a precaution.  Gives me the fear that we haven’t recruited a striker, as it’s looking like another bit part season for Naismith.  Precaution by our medical definition usually means two months out rather than six months out. 

It was his calf earlier now his back. He is at that age where one niggle follows another. Him and Berra will be lucky to play 50% of any games we play.

Bazzas right boot

Howling thread, but anyway. 

He needs to improve, but after the injuries and no football he'll need a few games to get match fit. 

I feel in this team we'll see the best of him in the bigger games, starting with Dundee and then hibs. 

He's a nippy wee ******* and really brings the team together In the big games. I also feel he's the type to work off the crowd, but he'll need to adapt. Shitty players get nervous and reverse in front of big crowds and I think this no crowd deal will favour our opposition every so slightly than us over the course, but Naismith and the team need to adapt. 

Value for money, unsure time wil tell but I don't think any footballer getting over a 3 figure salary is value for money, but that's modern football. 

He's also better up top or the slighter deeper of a front 2, he's not that creative or mobile to be our number 9/ attacking midfielder. He's also never been a poacher type. 

He's what I'd call a defensive forward, somone who closes down defenders, comes deep to lay the ball off and then gets into the box for crosses / second balls. 

In the championship with us that type of forward won't be needed as much as we’ll dominate the ball.

However, in the cup game v hibs and the final v Celtic hiis style, quality and mentality is hopefully the difference to us winning v losing. 

No he isn't finished. Been poor in the first two games but I think once we are 5/6 games in he will be much closer to his old self.

3 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

No he isn't finished. Been poor in the first two games but I think once we are 5/6 games in he will be much closer to his old self.

By then he will have his obligatory injury followed by 3 months on the sidelines 

6 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

By then he will have his obligatory injury followed by 3 months on the sidelines 

Will he, aye? Thanks Professor X, great to have that insight. 👍

Diadora Van Basten

He looks like he has lost a yard of pace.

I was up for him playing up front with Walker in behind but he’s too slow.

I think now that he can only play 10 and Walker can only play 10. 

A_A wehatethehibs

It seems like a long time ago he was playing well and influencing every game. 

For me, he needs to convert his game a bit. Just sit in the penalty box and focus on finishing. He knows where the back of the net is, and goals are what we need from him. Other players can do more of the running. 

15 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Will he, aye? Thanks Professor X, great to have that insight. 👍

It was a joke. Your welcome all the same.. Tit

On 11/10/2020 at 10:48, livi said:

Playing him on plastic pitches is the 1st mistake Robbie is making. Anybody wo has any knee fitness issues is never going to give anything like 100% as they will be looking after themselves.all the time.  The same goes for Haring.  Keep them to grass until the get themselves up to speed fitness wise. 

Robbie Nielsen, back room staff and physio's knowledge & experience over a nobody on a messageboard (as we all are BTW).....

its a tough call, but think I'll nail my colours on the former....

Once Naismith is fully fit we can judge. The guy is on catch up re: match fitness

On 11/10/2020 at 12:42, wavydavy said:

It was his calf earlier now his back. He is at that age where one niggle follows another. Him and Berra will be lucky to play 50% of any games we play.

Future coaching team.......?

bigsuperslim1874
On 10/10/2020 at 19:42, Bob Loblaw said:

He's not been great, but he's also getting older, not had a full pre season and had 2 competitive appearances in 7 months.  He could easily just be needing time to build up a bit fitness and confidence, I'd be amazed if he wasn't a very important player this season.

:spoton:

The Treasurer

I know we should expect (demand) 100% every time, but Naismith is a big game player and an empty park with one stand and a plastic pitch is never going to inspire any player.

I'm sure when a performance is needed, Naismith (and others) will step up to the plate

On 11/10/2020 at 19:10, Smith's right boot said:

Howling thread, but anyway. 

He needs to improve, but after the injuries and no football he'll need a few games to get match fit. 

I feel in this team we'll see the best of him in the bigger games, starting with Dundee and then hibs. 

He's a nippy wee ******* and really brings the team together In the big games. I also feel he's the type to work off the crowd, but he'll need to adapt. Shitty players get nervous and reverse in front of big crowds and I think this no crowd deal will favour our opposition every so slightly than us over the course, but Naismith and the team need to adapt. 

Value for money, unsure time wil tell but I don't think any footballer getting over a 3 figure salary is value for money, but that's modern football. 

He's also better up top or the slighter deeper of a front 2, he's not that creative or mobile to be our number 9/ attacking midfielder. He's also never been a poacher type. 

He's what I'd call a defensive forward, somone who closes down defenders, comes deep to lay the ball off and then gets into the box for crosses / second balls. 

In the championship with us that type of forward won't be needed as much as we’ll dominate the ball.

However, in the cup game v hibs and the final v Celtic hiis style, quality and mentality is hopefully the difference to us winning v losing. 

Your post is correct as to what we expect from Naismith. We need him to be nippy, pressing from the front etc but the trouble is that we haven’t seen that from him in a while now and I’m not just talking about this season. The last game against St Mirren, his performance was brutal and spent more time pointing at others than actually playing. 

The worry is that he can’t get back to that level we expect from him and to be fair, easier said than done when 34 years old. 

I hope he can up his game but for me, he’s not a starter at the moment. 

7 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

He's taking a good wage and not offering enough in return imo. 

You could argue that the whole squad are doing that. 

16 minutes ago, Mort said:

Your post is correct as to what we expect from Naismith. We need him to be nippy, pressing from the front etc but the trouble is that we haven’t seen that from him in a while now and I’m not just talking about this season. The last game against St Mirren, his performance was brutal and spent more time pointing at others than actually playing. 

The worry is that he can’t get back to that level we expect from him and to be fair, easier said than done when 34 years old. 

I hope he can up his game but for me, he’s not a starter at the moment. 

I think apart from his lack of fitness his game is affected by his constant desire  to tell everyone what they should and shouldn't be doing.

Yes he is an experienced player and it's great talking to players especially the young ones to help guide them through a game.

I feel with Naismith that he is so busy telling others what to do that he is less focussed on hsi own game and his play suffers as a result.

It is difficult for him to change because that is just in his nature but I bet there are times when some of the players just feel like telling him to **** off.

He should be playing up front and allow Jamie Walker to be in the number 10 when Boyce is not available.

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

You could argue that the whole squad are doing that. 

Yes. This thread is about naismith though. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Put it this way, if Naismith signed for Dundee tomorrow, would you be worried? I would. He's got the talent and experience we need, and can make a good contribution even when not fully fit.

The guy is class, his game has changed now from his goal scoring days. When Naismith is at his best you barely notice him, he is constantly moving the ball quickly and dragging opposition out of position. 

Neilson is still tinkering with his first 11 and like others when settled you will see players play their best football.  For me based on what I've seen it would be Boyce with walker cutting in from left, Naismith central and Ginnelly on the right.

7 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

The guy is class, his game has changed now from his goal scoring days. When Naismith is at his best you barely notice him, he is constantly moving the ball quickly and dragging opposition out of position. 

Neilson is still tinkering with his first 11 and like others when settled you will see players play their best football.  For me based on what I've seen it would be Boyce with walker cutting in from left, Naismith central and Ginnelly on the right.

All of the above plus the fact that he’s a couple of weeks or so behind everyone else is really all there is to it imo.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:03, gashauskis9 said:

Taken off as a precaution...

How many times have we heard that now. Sick to the back teeth of Naismith.  

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m trying to remember the last good game he played for us. I’m struggling and thinking possibly McPhee victory over St.Mirren.

DS dropped him for the victory at Easter Road, think that was due to an extended period of poor form.

I remember him playing quite well under Stendel with a couple of goals and assists, even though Stendel played him in odd positions a couple of times. Played well in two wins over Rangers and quite well in the draws vs St J and Hamilton, although the whole team was declining fast, including him and he missed some good chances along with others. He wasn't helped by Stendel's habit of piling on forwards for the last 15 mins or so and everyone was getting in each other's way.

8 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Robbie Nielsen, back room staff and physio's knowledge & experience over a nobody on a messageboard (as we all are BTW).....

its a tough call, but think I'll nail my colours on the former....

Once Naismith is fully fit we can judge. The guy is on catch up re: match fitness

We seem to say that rather a lot.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Lord BJ said:

As I say I’m struggling, probably because we were so bad last season Your probably right about the Rangers game.

Just don’t think he been particularly good fo a long time, he’s been a hugely disappointing signing for me. Hopefully he proves me wrong, I do feel the excuses are running out a bit around him though.

I think we expect a lot of him, rightly. He can't carry a whole team though. I remember Walker and Djoum suffered when expected to do that. As part of a more balanced squad and team I think he'll be very important this season. Would rather we have him than one of our rivals that's for sure.