Awards

otterjohn

Who decides on the awards given out for OBEs MBEs etc? I noticed that insufferable Lorraine Kelly has been given one. Someone who does excercises on TV has been given one and some lovely old lady has been given one for walking up and down stairs.

Im maybe missing something but theres nothing at all remarkable in what they have done.Surely theres far more worthy cases than all these cosy wee stories.NHS staff including call centre workers.The Police who daily put there lives on the line for us.The Armed forces lower grades who we take for granted but are the backbone of all the things we take for granted.McMillan Suport workers etc etc etc.Those are the real people who deserve an award and not in my opinion low grade TV presenters who do things to enhance their own brand name.

SORRY Rant over.

highlandjambo3

Every other week it seems like there is some sort of red carpet ceremony for the privileged to walk down and pose....whilst the rest of us scream for a selfie with them........then they sit in their vip centre stage seats making an arse of themselves on camera as they get pissed...makes me puke

From the BBC website

Property tycoon Tony Gallagher was given a knighthood in relation to his service to "land development and the property business".

The Gallagher Estates founder is a friend of former Prime Minister David Cameron and a major donor to the Conservative party.

Andrew Mackenzie, the former chief executive officer of mining giant BHP Billiton, was made a Knight Bachelor for services to business, science, technology and to UK and Australia relations.

Clare Woodman the chief executive officer of Morgan Stanley International was given a CBE for services to finance.

Royal honours.....as meaningful as children's participation awards.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

From the BBC website

Property tycoon Tony Gallagher was given a knighthood in relation to his service to "land development and the property business".

The Gallagher Estates founder is a friend of former Prime Minister David Cameron and a major donor to the Conservative party.

Andrew Mackenzie, the former chief executive officer of mining giant BHP Billiton, was made a Knight Bachelor for services to business, science, technology and to UK and Australia relations.

Clare Woodman the chief executive officer of Morgan Stanley International was given a CBE for services to finance.

:spoton:

Mad Dog Logan

This annoys me too, so called famous people being given awards just for doing their job when there's far more deserving people doing far greater things in the real world, ****ing nonsense......

Here we go again sorry, but what about the shows like Children in Need etc

Good to begin with but now saturated by the me me me presenters and of course lenny F   ing Henry who was never funny let alone how unfunny he is now.Why don't they all donate some of their money to make up the amounts we do and save us watching adverts for keeping them in the limelight. 

Its daft to think not all of the so called stars do not mean well but most are in it for themselves.

7 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Here we go again sorry, but what about the shows like Children in Need etc

Good to begin with but now saturated by the me me me presenters and of course lenny F   ing Henry who was never funny let alone how unfunny he is now.Why don't they all donate some of their money to make up the amounts we do and save us watching adverts for keeping them in the limelight. 

Its daft to think not all of the so called stars do not mean well but most are in it for themselves.

Lenny does Comic relief. Which I don't mind. Things like food banks are a disgrace and government should be strung up for them being used as part of the welfare system. 

Hopefully Royals will soon be a thing of the past.  So no more awards or Lords. Well up here anyway. 

Edited by ri Alban

59 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

And yet you'll still get millions of commoners fawning obsequiously over some prick who has 'Sir' in front of his name.

"Ooooh, Cecilia. Did you hear that Sir Neville is opening the garden fete this year?"

"Oh, stop it, Euphemia - I'm all moist now."

In fact...Sir Alex Ferguson? **** off. To me he's still Fergie the red-beaked moany ******* he always was. Same for the rest of the sport/celebrity/business (i.e.party donors) awards.

Edited by Boof

53 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some of the characters honoured beggars belief.   What a completely discredited heap of shite.

You deserve an award for services to the medical profession judging by your underrated contributions on the Covid fred.

Some truly remarkable hypothesis.

The fitness guy probably deserves it to be fair. He seemed to be a big boost for people in the early days. Captain Tom getting a knighthood is pretty ridiculous but at the same time effectively a decorative honour more than functional that harms nobody.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

You deserve an award for services to the medical profession judging by your underrated contributions on the Covid fred.

Some truly remarkable hypothesis.

Hypotheses,  you daft joogle.

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hypotheses,  you daft joogle.

I'm not the educated medical expert so I'm aloud spelling faux pas.

Up ye. 

graygo have you a spy camera in my house. 2 cups of mik spilled over, cleaned up quickly then a bowl of coco pops that they would have been cleaner picking up and throwing. All good now though.

7 hours ago, graygo said:

Foster kids up early this morning and been pissing on your corn flakes mate? 😁

You're not wrong though. 👍

Back on track now graygo,moaning my face of about Hearts performance or lack of today

cheers👍

I don't think you have to do as much these days to get one. I'd knock it back if offered. Honest just to be in Bowie's company for once

manaliveits105
8 hours ago, Cade said:

Lorraine Kelly has been recognised for "services to tax avoidance"

Can’t wait to see her gushing humbleness on Monday 

15 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'm not the educated medical expert so I'm aloud spelling faux pas.

Up ye. 

Quietly. 

Governor Tarkin
19 hours ago, Cade said:

Lorraine Kelly has been recognised for "services to tax avoidance"

Good on her.

Its an elitist outdated system of " honouring" people considering we have no Empire anymore either. I admire the likes of Albert  Finney, David Bowie and Vanessa Redgrave ( who did accept a CBE but has turned down Damehoods) Alistair Sim , Paul Schofield  who have refused them. 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Its an elitist outdated system of " honouring" people considering we have no Empire anymore either. I admire the likes of Albert  Finney, David Bowie and Vanessa Redgrave ( who did accept a CBE but has turned down Damehoods) Alistair Sim , Paul Schofield  who have refused them. 

The list of refusals is very long and includes a lot of very famous or celebrated people. Just that most don’t publicise that they have turned them down. 

Edited by Tazio

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

The list of refusals is very long and includes a lot of very famous or celebrated people. Just that most don’t publicise that they have turned them down. 

Yes but  i think its right they publicise that they turned it down to evidence how ridiculous and elitist pish it is. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes but  i think its right they publicise that they turned it down to evidence how ridiculous and elitist pish it is. 

This.

All these football players from poor backgrounds being honoured for kicking a ball and doing charity work - Scandalous! 

Sir Paul  Hartley is the obvious exception.

Spoiler

Would I be right in thinking that OBE is an abbreviation for Officer of the Order of the British Empire rather than just Order of the British Empire as we were taught in school?