Zo shi khan, Old Edinburgh Judo club 1960s'

muldoon74

My Dad went to the Zo shi Khan (spelling may be wrong but phonetically correct) Judo club in the 50s'/60s'.. (he used to write the name in Japanese on the lower leg of my kits as a kid and my mum would embroider over it.. felt very karate kiddish..)

He passed in 1992 and now I'm 46 am getting nostalgic trying to find out more about the club he went to. He carried on with the judo into his army career, winning several Army and Interservice medals as well as representing Scotland at one stage. 

I've tried googling all different potential spellings of the club name, Old Edinburgh etc but can not find anything on it. I even emailed George Kerr (any judo people on here will know that name) a few years ago but received no response. 

Anyone who attended the club would probably be in there 60s' or 70s' now so maybe not a regular on here. 

Did your father/mother/uncle/auntie/grandad/grandma do Judo in the 60s' in Edinburgh? maybe they'll have info...

I'm looking for any photos, anecdotes, maps, news clippings etc of the club as I didn't get the chance to ask my Dad. 

Failing photos etc, does anyone know of websites I can research to try and find what I'm looking for. 

Also the correct name and spelling of the club would be great. I only ever heard it spoken or saw it written in Japanese. 

the only judo club I went to was in the old Gorgie primary school next to Telephone House but not sure of the name as I was about 9

Shanks said no

Mid 70s I went to a Judo club in Rose St, think it had something to do with the post office. That’s about all that I can remember apart from it was the first time my nose was broken (thrown while my arms were pinned) 

I went to Janice at Sighthill Community Centre at Sighthill flats. I believe she was still doing classes recently for the price of 20p per session per child.

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I went to Janice at Sighthill Community Centre at Sighthill flats. I believe she was still doing classes recently for the price of 20p per session per child.

Inflation knocked that on the head. 

An outrageous 25p now. Paused for the foreseeable though due to lockdown. 

7 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Inflation knocked that on the head. 

An outrageous 25p now. Paused for the foreseeable though due to lockdown. 

Scamming bitch.

On 09/10/2020 at 22:11, muldoon74 said:

My Dad went to the Zo shi Khan (spelling may be wrong but phonetically correct) Judo club in the 50s'/60s'.. (he used to write the name in Japanese on the lower leg of my kits as a kid and my mum would embroider over it.. felt very karate kiddish..)

He passed in 1992 and now I'm 46 am getting nostalgic trying to find out more about the club he went to. He carried on with the judo into his army career, winning several Army and Interservice medals as well as representing Scotland at one stage. 

I've tried googling all different potential spellings of the club name, Old Edinburgh etc but can not find anything on it. I even emailed George Kerr (any judo people on here will know that name) a few years ago but received no response. 

Anyone who attended the club would probably be in there 60s' or 70s' now so maybe not a regular on here. 

Did your father/mother/uncle/auntie/grandad/grandma do Judo in the 60s' in Edinburgh? maybe they'll have info...

I'm looking for any photos, anecdotes, maps, news clippings etc of the club as I didn't get the chance to ask my Dad. 

Failing photos etc, does anyone know of websites I can research to try and find what I'm looking for. 

Also the correct name and spelling of the club would be great. I only ever heard it spoken or saw it written in Japanese. 

Zoshikan is a likely spelling. 

Edit:

quick google...

here’s a mention of that club (last guy)...

http://www.skif.co.uk/Group Instructors.htm

and another...

https://www.invitationtohealth.co.uk/profile

Edited by gjcc

13 hours ago, gjcc said:

Zoshikan is a likely spelling. 

Edit:

quick google...

here’s a mention of that club (last guy)...

http://www.skif.co.uk/Group Instructors.htm

and another...

https://www.invitationtohealth.co.uk/profile

Cheers for that, I'm going to try contact the two who trained there and see if I can get more info on it from them.. 👍

• 2 years later...
On 11/10/2020 at 04:10, Shanks said no said:

Mid 70s I went to a Judo club in Rose St, think it had something to do with the post office. That’s about all that I can remember apart from it was the first time my nose was broken (thrown while my arms were pinned) 

I went there too although my memories are pretty vague. I think it was called ETESA Kwai and was something like Edinburgh Telephone ES Area Judo Club. It was in Rose Street and we used to visit the many pubs after a heavy night on the mat. I recall the grading were at the newly built Meadowbank Stadium.