Paul Heaton ....not just a great song writer !

Midloth_Iain

I P Knightley

I think he writes excellent songs and uses his harmonic foil brilliantly. 7 inch singles is a great song; as good as the best Beautiful South songs from all those years ago. 

Why is he 'trending'?

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

Three posts in. FFS :kirklol:

Still, would now like to know how. And how did it come up?

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Was it from the Online Dating thread? 😄

I can't remember, a poster shagged a lassie then a very pished singer turned up at the door. IIRC the poster didn't want to confirm who it was, but did acknowledge that they were indeed A Perfect 10

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I think he writes excellent songs and uses his harmonic foil brilliantly. 7 inch singles is a great song; as good as the best Beautiful South songs from all those years ago. 

Why is he 'trending'?

He's a funny one, as a musician I can appreciate the genuine quality of his song writing, but his stuff still bores the utter tits off me. Probably just not enough rhythm section I reckon.

Anyway, check the link in the OP, seems he gave a substantial sum to Q magazine to share among their staff when they closed.

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I can't remember, a poster shagged a lassie then a very pished singer turned up at the door. IIRC the poster didn't want to confirm who it was, but did acknowledge that they were indeed A Perfect 10

Another minor detail - the bursd was Canadian too I seem to recall.

Samuel Camazzola
44 minutes ago, Smithee said:

😄 I think I got involved with that chat. Guessing of the girl's name was involved. Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa, Sue... 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

😄 I think I got involved with that chat. Guessing of the girl's name was involved. Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa, Sue... 

:laugh:

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

She sounds like fun, fun, fun

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

He's a funny one, as a musician I can appreciate the genuine quality of his song writing, but his stuff still bores the utter tits off me. Probably just not enough rhythm section I reckon.

Anyway, check the link in the OP, seems he gave a substantial sum to Q magazine to share among their staff when they closed.

Same with me.  I once popped into a tent he played at T in the Park for a solo gig with a mate and left after a few songs.  Musically it just didn't do it for me.

Genuinely nice gesture from him with the Q magazine staff, though.

Not a massive fan, they're okay etc., but Heaton's always came across as a good, down to earth bloke. 

Always loved Brianna Corrigan's voice on that need a little time track (I know it was the other bloke that sang it with her). She's cute, too. 

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

My mate calls their stuff family pop. Catchy stuff a family of four can put on for a car journey and sing along to, without anyone getting too offended, but it's not really going to inspire or challenge anyone. 

46 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

My mate calls their stuff family pop. Catchy stuff a family of four can put on for a car journey and sing along to, without anyone getting too offended, but it's not really going to inspire or challenge anyone. 

I’m not sure the non radio version of Don’t Marry Her is family friendly. 

He's written some car journey tunes but also quite a political animal, involved in the miners strike iirc.

Some songs on What Have We Become aren't really bubblegum pop. Banned album cover (Welcome To The BS ) wasn't too family friendly either.

Seems like a decent bloke and an underrated lyricist imo.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Good guy. Beautiful South for me fall into that group of bands like Status Quo and even, get the sick bucket ready, Coldplay - smart songs, melodic, musically tight, totally inoffensive good songs - but none of the them are "cool" enough for most people to really latch on to. 

3 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Good guy. Beautiful South for me fall into that group of bands like Status Quo and even, get the sick bucket ready, Coldplay - smart songs, melodic, musically tight, totally inoffensive good songs - but none of the them are "cool" enough for most people to really latch on to. 

If Status Quo ever played a "smart", "melodic", "inoffensive", or "good" song in their entire career, I must've missed it.   :ermm:

3 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

If Status Quo ever played a "smart", "melodic", "inoffensive", or "good" song in their entire career, I must've missed it.   :ermm:

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Atypical, to say the least, but had a bit more to it than the endless variations-on-a-three-chord that they churned out later, I'll give you that.

The guy writes cracking pop tunes that  have the feel good factor. 

Hard to dislike him in these depressing time. 

She, Jacqui compliments the songs superbly. 

4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

****ing tune

4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Atypical, to say the least, but had a bit more to it than the endless variations-on-a-three-chord that they churned out later, I'll give you that.

Early Quo ruled, I used to cover pictures of matchstick men in an old band, epic.

Also,

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Early Quo ruled, I used to cover pictures of matchstick men in an old band, epic.

Also,

:troll:

20 hours ago, felix said:

He's written some car journey tunes but also quite a political animal, involved in the miners strike iirc.

Some songs on What Have We Become aren't really bubblegum pop. Banned album cover (Welcome To The BS ) wasn't too family friendly either.

Seems like a decent bloke and an underrated lyricist imo.

Oh, I know he's actually quite political and some of his stuff does have a wee bit of punch (Happy Hour having a pop at the "toxic masculinity" in the yuppie/office culture of the 80s).

But the songs themselves just come across as very "Forth One" if you get my drift. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Met him in the chacaig inn in glencoe, seen our scooters and came over showing pics of his scooters. Not my type of music but seemed a good sort👍

14 hours ago, Smithee said:

Also,

"Yeah... yeah... well Quo, Sabbath, Tull, y'know..."

image.jpeg.6c6d431fd74364a6ad0110b603f107ba.jpeg

Anyway, Paul Heaton: seems like a good guy, with his heart in the right place, and not up his own erchie like so many of them are. Writes a clever / barbed / sweet-and-sour lyric. Can quite happily listen to The Housemartins and The Beautiful South (for a while) but haven't ever actually bought anything by either.

14 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

"Yeah... yeah... well Quo, Sabbath, Tull, y'know..."

image.jpeg.6c6d431fd74364a6ad0110b603f107ba.jpeg

Anyway, Paul Heaton: seems like a good guy, with his heart in the right place, and not up his own erchie like so many of them are. Writes a clever / barbed / sweet-and-sour lyric. Can quite happily listen to The Housemartins and The Beautiful South (for a while) but haven't ever actually bought anything by either.

Who's that playing bass?? Who is it??