Players To Move Directly From Hearts to Hibs

Tasavallan

21 hours ago, farin said:

Alan became an accountant after playing & was my wife’s boss for a while, nice guy despite that derby result. 😄 

Nice comment.  I've read a few other similar comments from folk who knew him, and he seems to have been a regular attender at Hearts dinners until the year before his death. 

His success as a fine goalscorer at the top level was even more remarkable because he  attended a rugby-playing school  - Heriots. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Tasavallan

• Pasquale for King

• 3fingersreid

I started this thread on players that moved directly from Hearts to Hibs but quite happy for it to diverge into players that went directly from Hibs to Hearts.

Anyway, I believe I am correct that Andy Watson was the last player to move directly from Hearts to Hibs without a period inbetween.

Samuel Camazzola
15 hours ago, dav1e said:

Watson must have been one of these players managers liked , I remember a chant from the shed "You've got Watson you've got Watson ,We've no we've no. Summed up what most Hearts fans thought.

Brian Hamilton fell out with Hibz and  was quoted in the press saying " I'd rather lick stamps than play for Hibs " scored for us against them in his first game ,average after that.

I'm sure his first game was v Motherwell (where he also scored). I can't recall Hamilton scoring v Hibs. 

Best Hibs to Hearts player was  Gordon Smith. Hibs thought he was finished so he came to us for two years and won his only cup (League Cup), plus of course the league in 1960. Then we thought he was finished and he went to Dundee, winning the league for his third different (all non Glasgow) team. 

Apart from all that, he was friends with Brigitte Bardot, which is something George Best might have liked!

40 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Best Hibs to Hearts player was  Gordon Smith. Hibs thought he was finished so he came to us for two years and won his only cup (League Cup), plus of course the league in 1960. Then we thought he was finished and he went to Dundee, winning the league for his third different (all non Glasgow) team. 

Apart from all that, he was friends with Brigitte Bardot, which is something George Best might have liked!

My late father reckoned Gordon Smith was the best footballer he ever saw live. That includes seeing Sir Stanley Matthew's and Sir Tom Finney.

Seaside jambo
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

My late father reckoned Gordon Smith was the best footballer he ever saw live. That includes seeing Sir Stanley Matthew's and Sir Tom Finney.

My late dad thought the same , said he was just magic to watch 

but saying that king willie was his favourite by a mile 

8 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

My late dad thought the same , said he was just magic to watch 

but saying that king willie was his favourite by a mile 

Dave MacKay was my dad's favourite.

13 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I started this thread on players that moved directly from Hearts to Hibs but quite happy for it to diverge into players that went directly from Hibs to Hearts.

Anyway, I believe I am correct that Andy Watson was the last player to move directly from Hearts to Hibs without a period inbetween.

It was Eamonn Bannon. :)

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/club/hibernian.html

Or Alan Combe if you include players who never actually played for either team.

Have you not been reading the thread, Tas? ;)

roy barry

eric stevenson

chris shevlane

not sure if they went direct to hibs, shevlane was at celtic at some point, all before my time

23 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I had a feeling he did as well but he didn't according to London Hearts. He missed a penalty for them against us (think it was the one Henry said he read an article written by Hamilton in the match programme disclosing where he liked to put penalties)😀

I also remember him smacking a post with a great shot in a derby, but think he was playing for hibs.

Yeah he scored against Motherwell on his debut but missed a great chance to score against Hibs a few days later. 

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

It was Eamonn Bannon. :)

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/club/hibernian.html

Or Alan Combe if you include players who never actually played for either team.

Have you not been reading the thread, Tas? ;)

It is not often that I am wrong but I am wrong again.

I only saw Bannon moving as a coach and did not check his vast playing career in green.

And to my shame I did not read this thread too closely.  Consider me chastised.

1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

It is not often that I am wrong but I am wrong again.

I only saw Bannon moving as a coach and did not check his vast playing career in green.

And to my shame I did not read this thread too closely.  Consider me chastised.

:biggrin2: No worries.

On 11/10/2020 at 16:22, redjambo said:

Personally speaking, I had no idea about that, Silvery_Moon. I was coming at it purely from a "playing for Hearts" perspective.

That's quite some record.

Cheers mate. That was how I had interpreted what you guys were saying. 

I actually met Andy Watson in a pub once when he was the assistant manager at Hibs and he was a decent bloke - spoke about his time at Hearts with affection.