Players To Move Directly From Hearts to Hibs

Tasavallan

9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Alan Rough never won an Edinburgh derby 

I’ve been  led to believe Andy Watson never lost one . 

A look at the stats shows that the feat was also achieved (for those who appeared >=5 times against the Hobos, 1st match post 1950) by Sandy Jardine (won 9, drew 6), Roddy Macdonald (won 5, drew 8), Derek Ferguson (won 5, drew 6), Ian Black (won 8, drew 3), Scott Crabbe (won 7, drew 5), Gary Locke (won 5, drew 6), George Cowie (won 5, drew 4), Ian Baird (won 2, drew 5), George Wright (won 4, drew 3), Stephen Elliott (won 5, drew 1), Jimmy Bone (won 3, drew 4), Gary Glen (won 6, drew 3), Ismael Bouzid (won 3, drew 3), Dave Bowman (won 2, drew 3), Willie Duff (won 4, drew 1), Alex MacDonald (won 3, drew 3), Graeme Hogg (won 2, drew 3), Graham Weir (won 2, drew 3), Iain Ferguson (won 3, drew 2), Ian Ferguson (won 3, drew 2), Suso Santana (won 5, drew 1).

I hope I'm reading that chart correctly!

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/tea/hibernian.html

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Tasavallan

• Pasquale for King

• 3fingersreid

3fingersreid
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A look at the stats shows that the feat was also achieved (for those who appeared >=5 times against the Hobos, 1st match post 1950) by Sandy Jardine (won 9, drew 6), Roddy Macdonald (won 5, drew 8), Derek Ferguson (won 5, drew 6), Ian Black (won 8, drew 3), Scott Crabbe (won 7, drew 5), Gary Locke (won 5, drew 6), George Cowie (won 5, drew 4), Ian Baird (won 2, drew 5), George Wright (won 4, drew 3), Stephen Elliott (won 5, drew 1), Jimmy Bone (won 3, drew 4), Gary Glen (won 6, drew 3), Ismael Bouzid (won 3, drew 3), Dave Bowman (won 2, drew 3), Willie Duff (won 4, drew 1), Alex MacDonald (won 3, drew 3), Graeme Hogg (won 2, drew 3), Graham Weir (won 2, drew 3), Iain Ferguson (won 3, drew 2), Ian Ferguson (won 3, drew 2), Suso Santana (won 5, drew 1).

I hope I'm reading that chart correctly!

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/tea/hibernian.html

Elliott’s and Suso’s , were they written in the stars 🤔😀

Just now, 3fingersreid said:

Elliott’s and Suso’s , were they written in the stars 🤔😀

Indeed. I had a good chuckle when I saw those stats. :)

3fingersreid
5 minutes ago, Willie Hamilton genius said:

Genius

Just how good was Willie Hamilton ( genius) , he certainly must’ve had something as both sets of fans wax lyrical about him . I gather he had his off field troubles but playing wise comparable to who ? 

58 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Just how good was Willie Hamilton ( genius) , he certainly must’ve had something as both sets of fans wax lyrical about him . I gather he had his off field troubles but playing wise comparable to who ? 

I don’t know any details but I suspect he was more George Best than David Beckham .......

I can only remember one game he played in... at Easter Road and Hearts winning  1-3 (checked it was 1968) and he was brilliant (I thought he’d scored but have checked and he didn’t) after match I remember marching up Easter Road and  along London Road with the non stop chant of;

“Willie Willie Hamilton

Willie Willie Hamilton

Willie Willie Hamilton 

Willie Willie Hamilton

.................... ..............”

PS I was only a wee boy

Edited by Jambo-Fox

5 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I’m almost certain Andy Watson joined Hibs for £30k  the day before a derby match.

That is how highly we rated him......

You are correct.

I watched CSS vs Hibs down at Gypsy Brae and Alex Miller came into the bar after the game.

Me & my mate were talking about Dave McPherson and Miller just plonked himself down beside us with a beer to tell us the he had mentored big Dave at Ibrox. Anyway, I couldn't help but ask him if the rumours about Hibs wanting Watson were true? "Wee Doddie thinks I just want him in before the derby but I actually want to build the midfield around him".

To say we were delighted would be an understatement as Watson was hopeless.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Cheers , for such a poor player that’s not a bad record 

Andy Watson is a total mystery of a footballer. On paper he had a brilliant career: Aberdeen, Leeds Utd and Hearts, with the only blip being Hibs, with a Premier league title and Scottish Cup and Cup Winners Cup winners medals, plus he was part of the squad that nearly got the double in 85/86. But he was rubbish for us (his name basically became shorthand for "rubbish footballer") and he only seems to have played 220 or so games in total in his career, despite earning moves to two decent clubs (and Hibs).

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I’m almost certain Andy Watson joined Hibs for £30k  the day before a derby match.

That is how highly we rated him......

Wrong, we made them wait until the Monday after the derby which was quite funny. He was shit. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, iainmac said:

You are correct.

I watched CSS vs Hibs down at Gypsy Brae and Alex Miller came into the bar after the game.

Me & my mate were talking about Dave McPherson and Miller just plonked himself down beside us with a beer to tell us the he had mentored big Dave at Ibrox. Anyway, I couldn't help but ask him if the rumours about Hibs wanting Watson were true? "Wee Doddie thinks I just want him in before the derby but I actually want to build the midfield around him".

To say we were delighted would be an understatement as Watson was hopeless.

He’s not, you’re memory is playing tricks. We kept him to the Monday so he couldn’t play against us hahahahaha 😆

Pasquale for King

Ralph Callachan ended up at Hibs after leaving us to go to Newcastle, Hibs *****. A bit like that little fat ***** Danny Swanson. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not, you’re memory is playing tricks. We kept him to the Monday so he couldn’t play against us hahahahaha 😆

The CSS game was midweek before the derby. 

I was at a stag night in Falkirk on the Saturday and I boarded the coach with the headline in The Pink "Watson Signs For Hibs"  stuck to my napper just to let all the Hibbies on the bus know what was coming.  We should have let him play in the Derby -  hopeless! 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ralph Callachan ended up at Hibs after leaving us to go to Newcastle, Hibs *****. A bit like that little fat ***** Danny Swanson. 

Good lad Ralphie.  Used to drink in Olivers in Rose St. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, iainmac said:

The CSS game was midweek before the derby. 

I was at a stag night in Falkirk on the Saturday and I boarded the coach with the headline in The Pink "Watson Signs For Hibs"  stuck to my napper just to let all the Hibbies on the bus know what was coming.  We should have let him play in the Derby -  hopeless! 

That was why it was funny that we held it back so he couldn’t play. You’ve successfully passed the Alzheimer’s test, hows my old hairdresser doing these days I’ve not seen him for ages?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Probably the first Hibby I can remember despising 😆

Pasquale for King

Jason Cumming. Oli Shaw and now Josh Doig have done well for them after leaving us. Made a bit of money off the first two and might make some more off Doig unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

That was why it was funny that we held it back so he couldn’t play. You’ve successfully passed the Alzheimer’s test, hows my old hairdresser doing these days I’ve not seen him for ages?

Comnutes back & forth to Australia these days,  or so it seems! 

14 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

More I’m afraid. London Hearts has the fee at £260k but I think it was set by tribunal at £275k. 

He played 33 games for us. 

And scored the goal that kept us up if I recall correctly?

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybury played for them too after leaving us, love our cast offs. 

Especially when they get sent off. In a Derby. At Tynecastle. 😆

7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I don’t know any details but I suspect he was more George Best than David Beckham .......

I can only remember one game he played in... at Easter Road and Hearts winning  1-3 (checked it was 1968) and he was brilliant (I thought he’d scored but have checked and he didn’t) after match I remember marching up Easter Road and  along London Road with the non stop chant of;

“Willie Willie Hamilton

Willie Willie Hamilton

Willie Willie Hamilton 

Willie Willie Hamilton

.................... ..............”

PS I was only a wee boy

Cheers, he certainly comes across as a maverick , the sort of player who would get that coached out of him by the majority of managers/coaches these days . 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Andy Watson is a total mystery of a footballer. On paper he had a brilliant career: Aberdeen, Leeds Utd and Hearts, with the only blip being Hibs, with a Premier league title and Scottish Cup and Cup Winners Cup winners medals, plus he was part of the squad that nearly got the double in 85/86. But he was rubbish for us (his name basically became shorthand for "rubbish footballer") and he only seems to have played 220 or so games in total in his career, despite earning moves to two decent clubs (and Hibs).

Absolutely , so few games in his career  but played at decent sized clubs and then his medal collection is one that far greater players would love to have . I’m sure Fergie said something about him that was very complimentary ( buggered if I can remember it exactly) whilst at aberdeen . 
I certainly wasn’t upset when he left and thought it funny when we got money for him from that mob , suppose they got more than their own back with Brian hamilton , maybe wee hamster cheeks thought he was signing the afore mentioned Willie Hamilton 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, iainmac said:

Comnutes back & forth to Australia these days,  or so it seems! 

I was thinking that might be the case, tell him I said hello if you get the chance. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Mister T said:

I had forgot about that 😆

2 hours ago, Mister T said:

Added to the (relegation) party atmosphere that day.

Willie Hamilton genius
11 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

That's really hard to say. The game was entirely different then, fewer tactics, more individuality, more attacking.

Willie though was unique.

He could turn on a sixpence, shoot powerfully, beat players with a feint, and dribble like nobody else.

Jock Stein said he was the best player he'd ever seen.

Think Baxter,Best,Eusebio.

Sadly never reached those heights for long.

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Stewart, Eckersley and Keatings I'm sure were released first so technically a free agent before signing for the other.

Rejected 👍👍

10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Stewart, Eckersley and Keatings I'm sure were released first so technically a free agent before signing for the other.

As said previously, Stewart was only on loan at Hearts from Man Ud.  Both Eckersley and Keatings were released at the end of their contracts before finding a gig at ER.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Andy Watson benefitted from Ferguson's genius in managing to squeeze every last drop out of even average players and knowing when they couldn't go further. That list is hundreds of players long and many clubs have entered up with perceived duds after taking one of his players. 

1 hour ago, benny said:

What was Watsons derby record for Hibs.

You'd probably have to ask the Hobo statisticians or ask London Hearts to do a database search. As it happens, Hibs won the first derby after he moved over there.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14259124.andy-watson-on-the-edinburgh-derby-you-can-t-tell-hibs-or-hearts-fans-that-their-game-somehow-isn-t-as-big-as-the-old-firm/

52 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure Alan Combe was registered as a player at both and moved directly from us to their hovel. 

That is a very good call. He doesn't appear on the London Hearts site, probably because he never played a first team game for us (he didn't play one for Hibs either).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Combe

On 09/10/2020 at 17:13, Cheile said:

Alan Gordon ?

No.   He left us to emigrate to S.Africa around 1966.  Things didn't work out for him there, and he moved back to Scotland - contacted Hearts in the hope of getting signed again - Hearts said no, for some strange reason - and Dundee Utd of all people signed him. I think he scored a good few goals for them before Hibs signed him -  much to our embarrassment since he helped destroy us in THAT game.    Sometimes it really hurts to be a Hearts supporter. 

19 hours ago, iainmac said:

At the time Dave Clunie was manager ?

On 09/10/2020 at 16:51, Smith's right boot said:

Hamilton direct from hibs to us. 

£200k....😭😭

My first ever derby I went to was in 1995 and we won 2-1.  Hamilton was playing and some of our support booed him when he touched the ball.   Had to ask my dad why?😂

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, redjambo said:

That is a very good call. He doesn't appear on the London Hearts site, probably because he never played a first team game for us (he didn't play one for Hibs either).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Combe

I think he may have occupied the bench on an occasion or two. 

When we had the 2013/14 transfer embargo, I believe we tried to give up his place in the squad to allow for Rudi to come back again but the SPFL blocked it. 

On 09/10/2020 at 22:40, 3fingersreid said:

Alan Rough never won an Edinburgh derby 

I’ve been  led to believe Andy Watson never lost one . 

On 09/10/2020 at 22:49, redjambo said:

Andy Watson never lost an Edinburgh derby full stop. 

By that I mean he was unbeaten at Hibs as well but that was only a few games. 

59 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

That’s what redjambo and myself pointed out . For a guy who was so limited at football he did okay for himself 

Edited by 3fingersreid

6 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Ah I thought you guys were only talking about derbies for Hearts. Fair enough. 👍

Watson must have been one of these players managers liked , I remember a chant from the shed "You've got Watson you've got Watson ,We've no we've no. Summed up what most Hearts fans thought.

Brian Hamilton fell out with Hibz and  was quoted in the press saying " I'd rather lick stamps than play for Hibs " scored for us against them in his first game ,average after that.

8 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Personally speaking, I had no idea about that, Silvery_Moon. I was coming at it purely from a "playing for Hearts" perspective.

That's quite some record.