Job interviews on Microsoft Teams /Zoom

muldoon74

I've had 3 interviews in last 2 months but just can't get hang of video interviews. 

I'm old fashioned and believe in eye contact, feeding off of reactions, and body language but I find with video style I can't do that. I find myself watching the person on the screen as opposed to looking straight at camera and have realised this might make me look disinterested but I can't help it. 

Then of course, there's the ever present video of me in the corner, speaking when I speak and I can hear it, thinking how awful my voice is!. 

Another dilemma is dress. I've worn shirt and tie to show effort but my interviewers, have all been very casual, Im wonder if that's the way yo go if I get another. Does it look more honest than shirt, tie and unseen joggy bottoms? 

What's other people's experiences. 

If this is the future I'm going to need an awful lot of help to pass one and may end up stuck where I am if I can't get these new interview skills down. 

Not sure what the answers are but I can tell you that it's just as weird for the interviewer. My Mrs was interviewing people for her new team in this manner and a good couple of months after they were appointed she's still not met them face to face. 

Definitely dress for an interview though!

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I feel your pain. Done a few telephone interviews in the past for jobs in various countries (before Skype was the go-to for this kind of thing) and absolutely hated it. Much harder to feel confident as you cannot see the interviewer. 

While video calls make a small difference, they don't solve the problem. Nothing wrong with looking at them rather than the camera. In fact, you could make small talk about it at the start and ask what they'd prefer.

Re dress: you cannot be overdressed for a job interview. 

(Once did a Skype interview with an American - his doorbell rang during the interview and he asked if we minded him answering in case it was important. He had what looked like a suit on, but was just wearing shorts underneath - as revealed when he went to the door!)

Shorts😂, could not make it up.

Heartsmad1874

A video interview with another person is better than a video interview of you just talking into your camera :lol:. Applied for two jobs within same company, first was a pre recorded video to do yourself which i absolutely bombed. They offered me the same type of interview for the second job. Didn't do it as the whole thing is so awkward.

Captain Sausage
10 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

A video interview with another person is better than a video interview of you just talking into your camera :lol:. Applied for two jobs within same company, first was a pre recorded video to do yourself which i absolutely bombed. They offered me the same type of interview for the second job. Didn't do it as the whole thing is so awkward.

Had one of them and it was an absolute car crash. Terrible method of interview. 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Captain Sausage said:

Had one of them and it was an absolute car crash. Terrible method of interview. 

Practiced as much as possible but that lack of human interaction which you can feed off sometimes makes it difficult to speak and give clear concise answers.

Riddley Walker

It's difficult. I have meetings every day on Teams and even them I find difficult, never mind interviews. I hate seeing myself in the corner too, you could always cover it with a bit of card? 

Don't worry about looking in the camera too much, as long as you're not looking down it should be fine, and give the odd glance up to the camera. Definitely dress up in the same way as you would as a normal interview. In real life interviewers don't generally get smarted up so don't worry about what they're wearing.

Try and have a practice with family or friends over video and predict the answers you're going to be asked . Use the benefits  of the video, such as being able to have notes pinned up behind the camera or beside you. 

Edited by Riddley Walker

33 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Also had one of those, like you complete train wreck! 

Blanked out on one, question so it was, a full 90 seconds of me umming and erring and awwing! 😂 

You can always tell when you've ballsed it... 

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Also had one of those, like you complete train wreck! 

Blanked out on one, question so it was, a full 90 seconds of me umming and erring and awwing! 😂 

You can always tell when you've ballsed it... 

I got an email the other day saying it wasn't successful :lol: I knew that the moment i panicked and hit stop half way through the question.

Was tempted to do the one for the second job and learn from mistakes but just never got round to it.

Only had one interview like that and it was coming up on 8 years ago, phone interview laying in bed in just my pants followed by a skype interview sat on the couch with shirt and tie on (no trousers), got the job!

I suppose I'll just have to get used to them, I'm actually thankful to get interviews at least I know it's more in my hands if I balls it up. 

I've done them on my phone but might use wife's tablet in future as its bigger and easier to prop up (I don't have a webcam on pc..). 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

How's the male stripper industry been affected by Covid?

Was going great while it took you over an hour to stand in the supermarket queue's just to get a pint of milk and Mrs Jones had an abundance of spare cash, now we're limited to two zoom sessions a week

Unknown user
3 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

I suppose I'll just have to get used to them, I'm actually thankful to get interviews at least I know it's more in my hands if I balls it up. 

I've done them on my phone but might use wife's tablet in future as its bigger and easier to prop up (I don't have a webcam on pc..). 

They're shite, I hate them, but TBF face to face interviews are shite and I hate them too.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They're shite, I hate them, but TBF face to face interviews are shite and I hate them too.

At least f2f I can feed off of body language or look for things on desks/walls, etc to try find a common bond.. (club, former regimental crest, a reference to scuba diving or whatever). If nothing else they can help break the ice but I find video interviews very awkward, particularly at the outset because there's no handshake or ability to convey personality... 

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Sitting there wearing a shirt and tie, and a pair of piss stained boxer shorts. 

Not just piss... 🙄🙄🙄

11 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I had one of those made worst by it being a strength based interview rather than the usual competency/STAR questions.  I think even if it had a picture of someone to talk to, that would be better.