Rishi Sunak's Re-trainometer

hughesie27

9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I think we should start our own business. 

Schoolboys R Us? :D 

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Did anyone else do "Jigcal" at school?

It was a computer program (this was 1986 so you imagine how advanced it was!) that gave you guidance on careers, what a load o' pish😅😅

Sadly I was working for either the Governments Manpower Services Agency at that time part of which was the Training Agency I think.  They had their  Scottish HQ in St Andrews Square, the office building above the wee Sainsbury's outlet that is on the corner now. 

If my memory serves me right which unfortunately these days is few and far between this organisation was responsible the co-ordination of job training and employment and in that maze of many meaningless programmes and strategies was the development and maintenance of Jiigcal.  Jobs Ideas and Information Generator.  Good link here from a guy from Selkirk High School who went through the process.   My role was to understand the programme, installation, training in it's use and it's promotion thereof in schools and youth training organisations.  I seem to recall getting a lot of verbal's from folk who had been, for years used to doing everything manually.   It sticks in my mind that those that were responsible for change in young adults and kid's lives could not handle change themselves.  Did it work?  I think it was one of these " it is part of a range of tools that I need in my toolkit to do my job" type programmes.

https://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2005/12/06/my-jiig-cal-results-from-1985/

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Did anyone else do "Jigcal" at school?

It was a computer program (this was 1986 so you imagine how advanced it was!) that gave you guidance on careers, what a load o' pish😅😅

That might have been the thing that predicted I would be a shepherd!

I have been a Software Developer for more years than I care to remember.

These programs are basically what is known as "Expert Systems".  They are artificial intelligence systems that model the decision making of a human expert.  As the saying goes in IT - Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Edited by frankblack

46 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Jiigcal.  Jobs Ideas and Information Generator.  Good link here from a guy from Selkirk High School who went through the process.   My role was to understand the programme, installation, training in it's use and it's promotion thereof in schools and youth training organisations.  I seem to recall getting a lot of verbal's from folk who had been, for years used to doing everything manually.   It sticks in my mind that those that were responsible for change in young adults and kid's lives could not handle change themselves.  Did it work?  I think it was one of these " it is part of a range of tools that I need in my toolkit to do my job" type programmes.

https://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2005/12/06/my-jiig-cal-results-from-1985/

The assistant prison govenor puts me in mind of my friend' son who, in some modern equivalent, got assistant dog walker seemed a bit harsh not just to have put dog walker.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Alex said:

The assistant prison govenor puts me in mind of my friend' son who, in some modern equivalent, got assistant dog walker seemed a bit harsh not just to have put dog walker.

Maybe a dog walker is responsible for the walking of the dogs and an assistant dog walker's role is following on behind picking up the sh.....  😃😃😃

Two roles with two different wage levels and qualification requirements😃😃😃

31 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Maybe a dog walker is responsible for the walking of the dogs and an assistant dog walker's role is following on behind picking up the sh.....  😃😃😃

He just seemed too young to be ruled out of one day working his way up to progress to being allowed to actually walk the dogs......

20 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Maybe they should invent an a assistant Horse walker job. 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bsipv8bq8vip97p3t5o