Accountancy Help

Tasavallan

As many may know my son is employed part-time as a coach at Hearts Academy. In parallel, he is looking to branch out with his own coaching school for the 8 - 12 age group but has no idea how to go about starting a business and keeping accounts/books.  My son has his brains in his feet.

Can anyone recommend a simple guidebook that he can follow or software like QuickBooks?

Any help would be gratefully received.  He is based in Armadale/Livingston 

Edited by Tasavallan

I am self employed also, but leave everything to my accountant. It depends how much you value your own time, but a couple hours a week on average, unpaid, doing your own books, expenses, VAT returns, wage slips etc. is not for me, and so I pay someone else to do it (works out at about £1,500 per year all in ( I get a wage slip each month, VAT bill every 3 months, tax return calculated and corporation tax sorted).

I use tax link (Bathgate) as they have an office near to me. 

I did try doing some stuff on my own, but was too much hassle so maybe something to consider “outsourcing”

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

My wife has just started training to become an accountant. She's Chinese. They do maths (and bat soup). Give me a PM and your son could be her first client.

Or, he should give Business Gateway a shout. I met their West Lothian rep a few months back through a college course. Seemed very keen to help folk. Not sure what BG's current provision is like due to CV19, though.

3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

As many may know my son is employed part-time as a coach at Hearts Academy. In parallel, he is looking to branch out with his own coaching school for the 8 - 12 age group but has no idea how to go about starting a business and keeping accounts/books.  My son has his brains in his feet.

Can anyone recommend a simple guidebook that he can follow or software like QuickBooks?

Any help would be gratefully received.  He is based in Armadale/Livingston 

100% speak with business Gateway - 

They give free advice and training to start-ups.. Doesn't matter if you plan to build cars or walk dogs its all useful.  They will put him on free courses for bookkeeping, marketing, how to write a business plan, how to use Facebook and Google to get new customers.  Brilliant service. 

I would recommend that he opens a separate business account - I use Starling bank business - it was so easy to set up and so easy to use.  They have ties to different accounting software that you can sign up to.  but 100% get a separate account as you don't want to mix his own and business money.

Good luck to the lad - 

https://www.bgateway.com/

Edited by Bigsmak

I'm sure there's someone on here who set up their own Youth coaching school. I have no idea who but fkr some reason @BRY rings a bell? Or maybe @Fraggle?

I could be way off 🤣

Not me dude, that seems way to complicated for a wage slave like me 😄. Leave all that nonsense to the employers HR department.

Edited by Fraggle

On 08/10/2020 at 20:43, hughesie27 said:

I'm sure there's someone on here who set up their own Youth coaching school. I have no idea who but fkr some reason @BRY rings a bell? Or maybe @Fraggle?

I could be way off 🤣

Deffo not me!

Sorry