Striker required

NB GIN

Start Wighton v Raith. Need to give him a chance. If he's not going to do the business then at least we can say, we gave him a chance and he's not taken it. 🤷

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• busby1985

• jr ewing

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, it's a shit word. 

The reason was a corrupt vote. 

Correct, stats won't sort it out, Boyce and Naismith will along with Robbie and Co. 

Pining for guys like Nisbet, Shankland and qpr strikers certainly won't. 

I thought you might have learned something after the last 5 years but obviously not. 

11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

If anything, imo a ch is needed. 

Definitely. No guarantees Christophe will be back anytime soon. Going into the season with 2 CHs gives me the fear. Mikey Smith is an option but that means Brandon playing. That doesn’t bare thinking about in the bigger games. 

6 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Definitely. No guarantees Christophe will be back anytime soon. Going into the season with 2 CHs gives me the fear. Mikey Smith is an option but that means Brandon playing. That doesn’t bare thinking about in the bigger games. 

We have Kingsley and Haring aswell who can play there

16 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

You haven't tried to justify it, im open to hear the facts you have to present. We offered a contract, he accepted it. Unless you see him train, how can you state that he is a money grabber? Does he sit on the side with a Cuban while everyone does sprints?

I don't know the guy, I've no idea how he trains, yes he hasn't been a great signing but blanket terms like 'money grabber' are just a nonsense. 

Anyway, on topic...yes, we definitely need  striker!!

Craig Levein gave him a four year deal just in the same way we gave Maluray Martin a four year deal. Both players happen to be French and they appear to have a similar attitude in that they are content to sit there without bothering if they play in the first team or not.

You could argue that this is CL's fault for signing them in the first place however I have yet to see any signs of Damour being eager to claim a place in Robbie's starting 11.

I watched the training videos the club released and although they are relatively short Damour looked the least interested of those that I saw much like his few performances last season where he was totally inept.

As far as I am aware he is claiming an injury at the moment so that will have hampered his fitness making him unlikley to be included anytime soon.

Robbie I am sure would have been happy to move him on as he did the likes of Sean Clare, Uche etc who were all much better players and triers for the club than Damour but for some reason he is still with us.

I don't  know just like everyone else who posts on here the real reason for that but given his attitude so far I would suggest that it is because he knows he is on a good thing with a further three years still to run on his contract and nobody else was prepared to take a chance on signing him.

I honestly can't believe that Robbie really wants to keep him it was more he could get rid.

On the striker topic maybe Robbie should sign another CB and play Halkett as his No9, he's shouting about him in the media today.

Edited by wavydavy

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

It could also mean Haring dropping back assuming he is anywhere near fit enough.

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Kingsley can also play CH according to RN.

For those on here  with "contacts" - are we actively inviting free agent strikers in for a week or 2 to see if any of them might be worth a gamble ?    If we aren't, why not ? What have we got to lose by looking (unless it comes down to budget) ?

11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

For those on here  with "contacts" - are we actively inviting free agent strikers in for a week or 2 to see if any of them might be worth a gamble ?    If we aren't, why not ? What have we got to lose by looking (unless it comes down to budget) ?

Wont be until next week. Virtually no training this week due to games Tuesday,sat,tues, sat.  Quarantine requirements also making things difficult. 

Presumably anyone invited to join the Hearts bubble for a trial would have to have been in isolation for a period and have taken a couple of tests?

Jambof3tornado
12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Start Wighton v Raith. Need to give him a chance. If he's not going to do the business then at least we can say, we gave him a chance and he's not taken it. 🤷

Do you not think he's had enough of a chance and failed to prove his worth? Not sure how many games he has had but I've yet to watch him and really think, yes, we've got a real talent here. I keep wanting him to get on the score sheet and keep coming away disappointed.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, bazman said:

We have Kingsley and Haring aswell who can play there

If Haring is playing at Cb then we have a big issue. 

If Smith and Kingsley can cover we might be OK until Berra is back. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Do you not think he's had enough of a chance and failed to prove his worth? Not sure how many games he has had but I've yet to watch him and really think, yes, we've got a real talent here. I keep wanting him to get on the score sheet and keep coming away disappointed.

2 games under a new manager is not a chance. 

Everyone has a claim. 

He will likely end up beyond Boyce and Naismith for the Dundee game so unsure why there is so much pant wetting on here about him Tbh. 

Berra's back running again, EEN. 

Just got to get prematch fit now.  We're OK with halket+popescu for now.  No worries. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-star-gets-covid-test-after-sore-throat-robbie-neilson-gives-christophe-berra-injury-and-harry-cochrane-loan-update-3000993

There's a hint Harry cochrane might get gametime tonight. 

Edited by HMFC01

9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

He has had chances but I think he's got another chance in the CF position to prove his worth under RN.

Although if he plays tonight and plays poorly, I wouldn't give him another starting opportunity tbh, he'd have to make an impact from the bench if he gets a chance in the future. 

There is only so many times we can play him if he isn't doing the business. 

Jambof3tornado
22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

2 games under a new manager is not a chance. 

Everyone has a claim. 

He will likely end up beyond Boyce and Naismith for the Dundee game so unsure why there is so much pant wetting on here about him Tbh. 

Maybe the pant wetting comes from the fact he looks no better now than he has done previously and there is a huge gulf in class between him and our no1 striker??

Do you think he could get 10 goals plus in the coming season?

Jambof3tornado
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He has had chances but I think he's got another chance in the CF position to prove his worth under RN.

Although if he plays tonight and plays poorly, I wouldn't give him another starting opportunity tbh, he'd have to make an impact from the bench if he gets a chance in the future. 

Thats about where I'm at. Boyce is away and Wighton has a chance to shine and as much as we failed to give him much service in methil he didnt exactly look to come deep to influence the game in the way that other forwards do when things arent happening for them.

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Maybe the pant wetting comes from the fact he looks no better now than he has done previously and there is a huge gulf in class between him and our no1 striker??

Do you think he could get 10 goals plus in the coming season?

I'm Comfortable with him for what I feel is the 3rd strikers berth. 

I can't think of anyone who can guarantee us 10 goals, never mind someone who is happy, at least initially to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to other strikers to a team  in championship. 

He scored 3 in 6 for Arbroath last season so could score 10 for us over a season, but on that he would need to play around 20 games to do that which imo he is unlikely to play. 

If he stays and plays, Meh, if we get someone else- great. 

I'm not too concerned either was tbh

My biggest concern is honestly the survival of Hearts, the season getting mothballed and/ or no promotion. 

Our squad as it is will win the championship imo. 

Hopefully Wighton can add a bit more. And give healthy competition to Boyce and Naismith, but if not we'll replace next season. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I can't think of anyone who can guarantee us 10 goals, never mind someone who is happy, at least initially to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to other strikers to a team  in championship. 

He scored 3 in 6 for Arbroath last season so could score 10 for us over a season, but on that he would need to play around 20 games to do that which imo he is unlikely to play. 

My biggest concern is honestly the survival of Hearts, the season getting mothballed and/ or no promotion. 

Hopefully Wighton can add a bit more. And give healthy competition to Boyce and Naismith, but if not we'll replace next season. 

Try someone else. Try anyone else. 

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Try someone else. Try anyone else. 

It's the JKB solution to everything. 

Not worked yet I don't think. 

Anyone but cathro/ CL. 

Anyone but x player. 

Been that way since Robbie on here. 

Will Likley be again in a few weeks. 

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I would echo this. For his sake I want it to work out for him as long as he wears a Hearts top. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's the JKB solution to everything. 

Not worked yet I don't think. 

Anyone but cathro/ CL. 

Anyone but x player. 

Been that way since Robbie on here. 

Will Likley be again in a few weeks. 

Bit of imagination and courage required. Let's see what happens. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

You're comfortable with a guy that's never looked like scoring for us as a backup striker?

Well, I'm not. We need to get out of this division at the first time of asking and we don't have time for projects / passengers or however you want to define Craig Wighton.

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, iainmac said:

You're comfortable with a guy that's never looked like scoring for us as a backup striker?

Well, I'm not. We need to get out of this division at the first time of asking and we don't have time for projects / passengers or however you want to define Craig Wighton.

We'll get promoted, easily with Wighton or with another imo. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Bit of imagination and courage required. Let's see what happens. 

**** imagination, we tried that with cathro. 

Pragmatic approach required! 

4 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Let's remember that he is not the only player yet to find their feet.  One penalty against ITC and one header by Halkett on Saturday doesn't cover our other attackers with glory.  Give the guy a chance and some support both on and off the pitch.  

Guest ToqueJambo
53 minutes ago, iainmac said:

We also don't have money for 3 or 4 top level players for each position. We have Boyce and Naismith who are both a considerable distance ahead of any other strikers in the division in terms of their quality. Going by his efforts at Arbroath last season, Wighton seems about the level of other teams if he can get that first goal.

10 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Let's remember that he is not the only player yet to find their feet.  One penalty against ITC and one header by Halkett on Saturday doesn't cover our other attackers with glory.  Give the guy a chance and some support both on and off the pitch.  

Defo should get a chance at the moment. Maybe just needs a goal and he'll start scoring regularly but if he gets a few chances to score and he doesn't take them then that's it for him tbh. 

34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

**** imagination, we tried that with cathro. 

Pragmatic approach required! 

A goalscorer would be better. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

A goalscorer would be better. 

We have 2, Boyce and Naismith. 

3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

We also don't have money for 3 or 4 top level players for each position. We have Boyce and Naismith who are both a considerable distance ahead of any other strikers in the division in terms of their quality. Going by his efforts at Arbroath last season, Wighton seems about the level of other teams if he can get that first goal.

You are right unless a knight in shining armour is waiting in the wings.  If we get terribly stuck we may be forced to bring in a youth player as we did many years ago when we were virtually forced to play youngsters  Gary Mackay, Dave Bowman and a wee guy called John Robertson.  That didn't turn out too badly.

Edited by JamboAl

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, chrystaf said:

He will get that. Clearly putting a shift in tonight with 2 tidy penalty finishes.

On 09/10/2020 at 19:15, DH1986 said:

It doesn’t matter if Boyce is injury prone or not.....to not have an adequate replacement for him is just stupid.

On 09/10/2020 at 20:19, Greedy Jambo said:

Another year, another manager not signing a decent striker, it's all a bit predictable. 

On 09/10/2020 at 20:37, Greedy Jambo said:

1 would be nice. 

Wighton is a laugh

Naismith now seems to be a midfielder at the end of his career

Roberts is not a striker

It's pretty much all down to Boyce now and he didn't want the #9 jersey. 

:lol:

Skacelesque goal that one at the end. Reminds me a bit of one of his from a few years ago. Might have been v St Mirren at Tynie as part of his hat trick. 

4 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Skacelesque goal that one at the end. Reminds me a bit of one of his from a few years ago. Might have been v St Mirren at Tynie as part of his hat trick. 

Wtf is Skacel!? get with the times man! WIGHTO WIGHTO WIGHTO

Robbie saying that's Kingsleys first 90 minutes since about February, wonder if he'll only be on the bench on Friday

On 12/10/2020 at 16:25, busby1985 said:

Do you live in Texas bud, genuine question. If Hibs win the cup there is absolutely no chance in hell it’ll be “swatted away”. Sorry mate but that’s miles off it. 

No I was born there.  Long story.  We can settle our disagreement after the cup tie if we lose.  Hopefully that won't be the case.  

4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

No I was born there.  Long story.  We can settle our disagreement after the cup tie if we lose.  Hopefully that won't be the case.  

Haha fair play lad! If we win I’ll be on here telling anyone that’ll listen that I called it and Robbie is a saint, such is football 😂😂