Daily Record today

djf

Was it just me that thought they have completely misjudged the feelings of Scottish football fans.

They seemed to be implying that Burley was a staggering appointment and Souness should have been a huge favourite.

But the vast majority of people I spoke to seemed to be supporting either Burley or McGhee.

Reading through the obvious agenda they were taking, I don't think the West Coast bias has ever been quite so obvious.

Was it just me that thought they have completely misjudged the feelings of Scottish football fans.

They seemed to be implying that Burley was a staggering appointment and Souness should have been a huge favourite.

But the vast majority of people I spoke to seemed to be supporting either Burley or McGhee.

Reading through the obvious agenda they were taking, I don't think the West Coast bias has ever been quite so obvious.

aye, they wanted a hun or a tim ...... TB or GS to carry on the tradition

Dr Ian Malcolm

When you look at all 4 "candidates" (I include Tommy Burns loosely) then Burley was the best option in terms of results on the pitch. Pormotion and Europe with Ipswich, got an unfancied Derby side in to the play-offs and an excellent but brief stint with us.

McGhee - several mediocre years in England before a good few months with Motherwell.

Souness - Delivered the expected with masses to spend about 15 years ago. Underacheived since then with the exception of Blackburn.

Burns - ????

Daily Ranger is just astonished that Jim Traynor's preferred manager has been overlooked by the SFA. He pinned the job onto Souness early doors in his column.

Are the SFA growing a backbone with the media now? Everyone knows that the press appoint the Scotland manager FFS (well they did with the last two) and seemingly Peat & Smith were ready for a square go with the press today.

Just a shame that the SFA are NOT prepared to look into matters on the pitch unless the media build up a huge story. Look at the TV evidence against Ned Bazza at the Aberdeen game, but no big story in the press so no case to answer as far as the SFA are concerned.

MURDER MCLEOD ex hobo only wants someone in green GTF

YA TIM..:mad:

I saw part of the press conference today and to say it was highly embarrassing is an understatement. Burley looked uncomfortable sitting between George Peat and Gordon Smith as the journalists bickered and asked the most stupid of questions with regards to the interviewing process, he must be wondering already why he has taken the job.

It was so obvious that the journos were annoyed that a non old firm man got the job and you can't but help thinking that he will get hounded if results don't go the right way.

It will be very interesting to see how the SFA now react to these journalists in the future, as both Smith and Peat were extremely annoyed, could this be a turning point?

The more I think about it the more I see that Burley was the only candidate for the job.

We need a manager who can get the best out of above average players and play a direct, counter attacking game.

I saw part of the press conference today and to say it was highly embarrassing is an understatement. Burley looked uncomfortable sitting between George Peat and Gordon Smith as the journalists bickered and asked the most stupid of questions with regards to the interviewing process, he must be wondering already why he has taken the job.

It was so obvious that the journos were annoyed that a non old firm man got the job and you can't but help thinking that he will get hounded if results don't go the right way.

It will be very interesting to see how the SFA now react to these journalists in the future, as both Smith and Peat were extremely annoyed, could this be a turning point?

This was the point that the macleaod was making, that if he did not get the right results in his first couple of games, he would be out on his ear ! FFS !

Get a grip hacks !

btw, will souness ever get another job ?

This was the point that the macleaod was making, that if he did not get the right results in his first couple of games, he would be out on his ear ! FFS !

Get a grip hacks !

btw, will souness ever get another job ?

I havent seen the article that djf was referring to, but after seeing the way the journos were acting today then it sounds like he is spot on. The knifes are out already and his arse hasn't even warmed the seat, only in the **** filled weegie media would this be possible. :confused:

Commander Harris

I think the majority of the daily record's readership, i.e. Rangers fans, were wanting Souness appointed. Keith Jackson even went as far as to suggest that if Tommy Burns got the job it would be because the SFA were appointing a Roman Catholic to appease RCs after Gordon Smith's comments about RC Schools.

The Glasgow press has been quite embarrassing and very predicatable throughout the whole Scotland manager process; in the Evening Times Derek Johnstone stating that Souness was "the only man for the job" with Tosh McKinlay backing Tommy Burns, funny that.

I am delighted that George Burley has got the job, the best candidate of the bunch on reflection. I hope he can stick it up to the weegie big two in his first few results like he did so well when with Hearts.

john brownlee
I think the majority of the daily record's readership, i.e. Rangers fans, were wanting Souness appointed. Keith Jackson even went as far as to suggest that if Tommy Burns got the job it would be because the SFA were appointing a Roman Catholic to appease RCs after Gordon Smith's comments about RC Schools.

whats burley then

Commander Harris
whats burley then

If you're talking about religion then I don't know and I'm not really fussed. Footballing wise, I think he was a Rangers man in his younger days.

perhaps the SFA are going for a non-old firm appointment?

john brownlee
The Glasgow press has been quite embarrassing and very predicatable throughout the whole Scotland manager process; in the Evening Times Derek Johnstone stating that Souness was "the only man for the job" with Tosh McKinlay backing Tommy Burns, funny that.

I am delighted that George Burley has got the job, the best candidate of the bunch on reflection. I hope he can stick it up to the weegie big two in his first few results like he did so well when with Hearts.

on what basis, he has had ten games with a scottish theme (and most of his players were non scottish)

what else does he know of any scottish player, has he any at his club, has he signed any. The only info he has on scottish players is through his sultana cousin and by god thats limited to guess what, the squirm. BTW the weegie big two are not international teams as far as I know.

I'm glad that the GFA select job has been filled because now, if Mr Romanov does decide to appiont a scottish man then as far as concerned the best men (apart from burns) didn't get the job come on Graham, we want you.

on what basis, he has had ten games with a scottish theme (and most of his players were non scottish)

what else does he know of any scottish player, has he any at his club, has he signed any. The only info he has on scottish players is through his sultana cousin and by god thats limited to guess what, the squirm. BTW the weegie big two are not international teams as far as I know.

I'm glad that the GFA select job has been filled because now, if Mr Romanov does decide to appiont a scottish man then as far as concerned the best men (apart from burns) didn't get the job come on Graham, we want you.

GB was in charge of Hearts for 12 competetive games and in that time there was never a majority of non-Scots in the playing squad. The only time he ever had less than 5 in the starting line-up was at Parkhead when CG was suspended.

Considering some of these players (e.g. Jamie Mac) had been pilloried on here the previous season and Burley had them top of the league I'd say he's the ideal man for the Scotland job. He certainly was for the Hearts job.

Archived