Nostalgic Pictures of Hearts FC.

maroonlegions

46 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, indeed. Not just in terms of losing points to them either.

We contrived to lose 0-7 to Dundee in ‘64-65 and ultimately lost the title on goal average and in ‘85-86 lost 2-6 at St Mirren when we lost the title on goal difference (by plus three goals, I think).

In ‘85-86, it’s arguable we were “caught cold” in an early season match.

The 0-7 result is more disturbing. I’ve often thought it signalled troubles behind the scenes at Tynecastle. That Hearts team was too good have been capable of capitulating to that extent. It concerns me that poor management and boardroom decisions may have alienated and distracted the players to this extent and cost us the title.

Mind you, I don’t think we can pin those failures on single matches. We lost daft points in other fixtures in both seasons, sadly.

I keep on stressing to Hibs fans who continually go on about hindsight results earlier in both seasons that it didn't matter, its what happened on the last day that counted, win, lose or draw with fractions and decimals in 64/65 with a win or draw in 85/86 on the last day would have seen us Champions. 

I can't for the life if me accept their New Year win in 65 and 0-0 draw in 85 being the sole contributing factors of Hearts losing out.

The Dundee resulting 65 still sticks in the craw for many a fan who were there or there abouts and as you suggest questions were to be asked at board room levels as we all know the club began its decline after that infamous season.

20180531_110532.jpg

FB_IMG_1517685895181.jpg

20180531_110233.jpg

FB_IMG_1517685902151.jpg

mcleod st.jpg

FB_IMG_1527707664828.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel eyes

• dannymack

• Maroon Sailor

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Commander lovemuscle said:

Thanks guys   what a memory you have brought back  my grandson followed that up with this 

5.jpg

Great picture of your Grandson and Captain Marvel however Iain Brines 😡 grrrrrr

7 minutes ago, dannymack said:

I keep on stressing to Hibs fans who continually go on about hindsight results earlier in both seasons that it didn't matter, its what happened on the last day that counted, win, lose or draw with fractions and decimals in 64/65 with a win or draw in 85/86 on the last day would have seen us Champions. 

I can't for the life if me accept their New Year win in 65 and 0-0 draw in 85 being the sole contributing factors of Hearts losing out.

The Dundee resulting 65 still sticks in the craw for many a fan who were there or there abouts and as you suggest questions were to be asked at board room levels as we all know the club began its decline after that infamous season.

That’s just daft Hibbies giving their minds a treat.

They convince themselves that Hibs, and only Hibs, cost Hearts their chances of being Champions.

It’s obviously their comfort blanket.

John Findlay
56 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just checked historical kits

It is Stenhousemuir

So commander was the mascot for a Monday night league cup match.

I went to Ochilview on the Saturday. Hearts won 5-0

We did. I went on the football special to Ochilview that Saturday.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just checked historical kits

It is Stenhousemuir

So commander was the mascot for a Monday night league cup match.

I went to Ochilview on the Saturday. Hearts won 5-0

I was at that game too.  I went through on the Coilnton Mains bus.

After the match, on the way back to the bus, we saw a Hearts ‘fan’ lob a brick through the front window of someone’s house.  A group of Hearts fans got a hold of him and handed him over to the police.

24 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

That’s just daft Hibbies giving their minds a treat.

They convince themselves that Hibs, and only Hibs, cost Hearts their chances of being Champions.

It’s obviously their comfort blanket.

Correct... sometimes I need to take a step back with their feeble attempts to gain one-up-manship with their far fetched scenes of glory.

Hearts failure Hibs Success.

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

We contrived to lose 0-7 to Dundee in ‘64-65 and ultimately lost the title on goal average and in ‘85-86 lost 2-6 at St Mirren when we lost the title on goal difference (by plus three goals, I think).

The 0-7 result is more disturbing. I’ve often thought it signalled troubles behind the scenes at Tynecastle. That Hearts team was too good have been capable of capitulating to that extent. It concerns me that poor management and boardroom decisions may have alienated and distracted the players to this extent and cost us the title.

Mind you, I don’t think we can pin those failures on single matches. We lost daft points in other fixtures in both seasons, sadly.

There was talk of a player revolt over bonuses

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I was at that game too.  I went through on the Coilnton Mains bus.

After the match, on the way back to the bus, we saw a Hearts ‘fan’ lob a brick through the front window of someone’s house.  A group of Hearts fans got a hold of him and handed him over to the police.

I remember the shows at Ochilview that day.

It was my first away match on a supporters bus and most of them were well oiled.

Hearts scored 4 goals in a short period of time and I always remember some diehard Hearts fan telling me it's not like this every week.

How right he was but I enjoyed the 77/78 season.

6 hours ago, dannymack said:

From the same game, you can see the mascot in the background  👍1677607561_HeartsJimJefferies1977b.thumb.jpg.4d521a64953bb6179dee37f72a16b849.jpg

Hearts' Jim Jefferies 1977 a.jpg

Nice strip! 

4 hours ago, Sherbet said:

That is correct. The day before the Dundee game the Board informed the players there would be no additional bonus for winning the league.

4 hours ago, Sherbet said:

There must have been something. 
Aside from the 0-7 game in question, I’ve always questioned why an obviously decent side underperformed so poorly in other phases in season ‘64-65.

Hindsight is great but the New Year games results against Hibs & Dunfermline (one point out of four) were a massive red flag that something was going wrong.
You can’t imagine the Glasgow Uglies or Ferguson’s Aberdeen jeopardising their title chances in this way. 
I can’t envisage either any of those clubs going into the final game of the season at home and losing like we did. What was going on at Tynecastle that we lacked the professionalism to finish the job?

Those in charge at the club at that time have escaped scrutiny. But that was then. Nowadays, somebody like Robbie gets every almost every move scrutinised and debated. 
The “guilty men” in the 1960s Hearts boardroom and management team were lucky they were born when they were, I think.

29 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

There must have been something. 
Aside from the 0-7 game in question, I’ve always questioned why an obviously decent side underperformed so poorly in other phases in season ‘64-65.

Hindsight is great but the New Year games results against Hibs & Dunfermline (one point out of four) were a massive red flag that something was going wrong.
You can’t imagine the Glasgow Uglies or Ferguson’s Aberdeen jeopardising their title chances in this way. 
I can’t envisage either any of those clubs going into the final game of the season at home and losing like we did. What was going on at Tynecastle that we lacked the professionalism to finish the job?

Those in charge at the club at that time have escaped scrutiny. But that was then. Nowadays, somebody like Robbie gets every almost every move scrutinised and debated. 
The “guilty men” in the 1960s Hearts boardroom and management team were lucky they were born when they were, I think.

Was there not also something about shevlane, Barry and white in the hibs game.   Think they were all moved on

22 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Was there not also something about shevlane, Barry and white in the hibs game.   Think they were all moved on

Yes, they were and Roy Barry in particular seemed to sustain a grudge against Hearts. Did he not play against us in the 1968 Scottish Cup final?
We also - stupidly in my view - “lost” both Gordon and Wallace as the board ushered in an era of accepting second-best. But then, the die had surely been cast earlier when we witnessed the board’s willingness to sell diamond assets such as Mackay and Young. And treat Bauld shabbily.

29 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, they were and Roy Barry in particular seemed to sustain a grudge against Hearts. Did he not play against us in the 1968 Scottish Cup final?
We also - stupidly in my view - “lost” both Gordon and Wallace as the board ushered in an era of accepting second-best. But then, the die had surely been cast earlier when we witnessed the board’s willingness to sell diamond assets such as Mackay and Young. And treat Bauld shabbily.

Barry captained Dunfermline in that final.

10 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes he did, he was their captain

Our captain was george miller ex dunfermline

18 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

The score was 1-7, Dundee scored an own goal if I'm not mistaken.

I think the Dundee defeat in 1965 was in fact  1-7.

Dundee did score all the goals that day as our goal was an OG. 

Our fans behind the goal staged a sarcastic pitch invasion to 'celebrate' 😁 our goal. 

That made the score 1-6 at the time. 

Dundee were magnificent that day 

Andy Penman ran riot and scored a hat trick iirc. 

I've not checked London Hearts so could be wrong on some details. 🤔

19 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Nice strip! 

Belter... preferred it with the maroon shorts instead of the all white, some may disagree though. 

Walter Kidd 1977 b.jpg

-1nzinx.jpg

20211020_224108.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-052438_YouTube.jpg

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Belter... preferred it with the maroon shorts instead of the all white, some may disagree though. 

Walter Kidd 1977 b.jpg

-1nzinx.jpg

20211020_224108.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-052438_YouTube.jpg

Smart kit, indeed. 
I’ve always wanted to see us feature sky blue in our home kit.
It’s in the Saltire in our badge, after all, and it’s a colour we’ve used in various away kits over the years including this season.

The White Cockade

Poor quality scans i'm afraid but just found some pics I took at pre season game

at Blyth Spartans

Henry's first game and a great weekend in Whitley Bay had by all !

Funny team made up of newcomers and old timers

Great days even though the team was generally dire

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

6 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Smart kit, indeed. 
I’ve always wanted to see us feature sky blue in our home kit.
It’s in the Saltire in our badge, after all, and it’s a colour we’ve used in various away kits over the years including this season.

After all Heart of Midlothian won the Scottish Cup wearing Light Blue, never had an issue with that colour once we started to introduce alternatives to the traditional and more commonly used White/Maroon or White/Black from further back in the day.

Got to remember our clubs original colour was predominantly white with a red heart (some say maroon), then Red, white and blue then finally maroon. 

The Scottish St Andrews Cross was introduced to our club crest in 1958. 

5 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Poor quality scans i'm afraid but just found some pics I took at pre season game

at Blyth Spartans

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

Fantastic !!!!

these images are the ones that folk have gathering dust in albums and shoe boxes that fans like me absolutely love to see when they are found.

I remember someone found a handful of photos of them travelling to Arbroath on one of the many Supporters clubs that were around back in the 70s, then even more images were found at the same game. 

Thanks for sharing. 

12 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

at Blyth Spartans

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

What's the badge on the shirts ? 

The White Cockade
8 hours ago, dannymack said:

Fantastic !!!!

these images are the ones that folk have gathering dust in albums and shoe boxes that fans like me absolutely love to see when they are found.

I remember someone found a handful of photos of them travelling to Arbroath on one of the many Supporters clubs that were around back in the 70s, then even more images were found at the same game. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Cheers 

Yeah I love seeing pics that take you back 

Found these putting the Xmas stuff back in the loft!

Big Roddie and Wattie Kidd were two of my all time favourites and in that team I was a big fan of Peter Shields and Paddy Byrne and obviously Henry and Broughie

Also thought Paul O’Brien was an exciting player but he didn’t last long with us

1 minute ago, PortyBeach said:

Got to be, surely?

What a monstrosity in the background though. Thankfully the Shed was in place when I started attending Tynecastle - at least that masked it!

Great thread .

Any more pictures of Andy Bowman ?

As a fellow Pittenweemer I would love to see any of Andy in action . 

The White Cockade
On 02/01/2022 at 16:10, dannymack said:

20180531_110532.jpg

FB_IMG_1517685895181.jpg

20180531_110233.jpg

FB_IMG_1517685902151.jpg

mcleod st.jpg

FB_IMG_1527707664828.jpg

lot of decent players there

we should have done so much better in the 60's but I guess the hopeless Boards

we had and their penny pinching attitude to the players played a big part in that

30 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

What a monstrosity in the background though. Thankfully the Shed was in place when I started attending Tynecastle - at least that masked it!

Grim isn't it?

Like you, the roof was in place when I started attending. The seats, I think, were put in shortly after but I don't really recall the days when it was standing room only on the distillery side.

I was young in the mid/late 70's and my dad was very much a Gorgie Road end man. It wasn't until 1979/80, aged 11, when I started going without him that I experienced the school end and shed.

Anyone recall when, indeed, the benches were put in? I rarely, if ever, sat on them, tbh.

1 hour ago, hmfcdaz01 said:

Great thread .

Any more pictures of Andy Bowman ?

As a fellow Pittenweemer I would love to see any of Andy in action . 

Not in action sorry.

Andy Brown - Hearts Football Club

Edited by wavydavy

Maroon Sailor
36 minutes ago, Drew Wallace said:

Had that gem on my Bar Scarf

Best Hearts patch ever imo

Something is in the back of my head that we also had a patch that had wings that resembled the Paras or RAF wings

Drew Wallace
15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Something is in the back of my head that we also had a patch that had wings that resembled the Paras or RAF wings

aye there was a few of them and the one you mention sounds familiar 

53 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It’s on my old scarf.  👍

2AF89976-FA11-45CB-8CB3-2E3137DFDB3F.jpeg

Drew Wallace
32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s on my old scarf.  👍

I absolutely  adored the one on the bottom right

Had it on the back of my Wrangler jacket 

Maroon Sailor
40 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s on my old scarf.  👍

Nice one 👍

Didn't get one myself. I preferred the Gilzean ones at the time

13 minutes ago, Drew Wallace said:

I absolutely  adored the one on the bottom right

Had it on the back of my Wrangler jacket 

My jacket had an... erm.. slightly more controversial (shall we say) image on the back.  😎

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nice one 👍

Didn't get one myself. I preferred the Gilzean ones at the time

9E53BB68-ED6A-4E1F-B328-CA04C0576E1D.jpeg