• Angel eyes

• dannymack

• Maroon Sailor

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ford donald
On 02/01/2022 at 09:37, Commander lovemuscle said:

That young lad with is a very young commander   where did you find the pic m8 ? i lost my copy years ago 

Behind,Dunlop,fraser,robertson and brown i think?

On 11/01/2022 at 20:29, Lone Striker said:

These are fab photos, Danny.  I've only ever seen a small handful of them before.  Tremendous archive.

Is that Douglas Park on the left ?

image.webp

As for this one ...... Donald might have had a few questions to answer if his wife saw this !!  😉

FB_IMG_1588203594037.jpg

Who’s the dude sitting with Donald Ford ?

5 hours ago, ford donald said:

Did you join Toronto' finest?

No because I moved to Vancouver. I went to their office thinking twelve year Edinburgh policeman, only to be told I was too old spent two years of complete misery then some police friends told me about a new Federal force to police all the major ports. I got in easily, my new boss thinking he had won the Jackpot getting a former Guards sergeant and British policeman. I was promoted to sergeant basically on appointment, and retired as Chief Superintendent with a seat on the Board of Directors at the Port of Vancouver.

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, chazza74 said:

Maybe a bit before your time, but the dude beside Donald was for many years the most well-known playboy footballer in England, having  (allegedly) slept with hundreds of beautiful women, while his glittering football career at Man Utd in the 70s began  a downward slide  through heavy drinking, being fined for missing training,  and eventually joining Hibs.    

That give you a clue ?      I could tell you his name, but      b e s t       to let you figure it out.  :whistling::smile:

ford donald
8 hours ago, Sharpie said:

No because I moved to Vancouver. I went to their office thinking twelve year Edinburgh policeman, only to be told I was too old spent two years of complete misery then some police friends told me about a new Federal force to police all the major ports. I got in easily, my new boss thinking he had won the Jackpot getting a former Guards sergeant and British policeman. I was promoted to sergeant basically on appointment, and retired as Chief Superintendent with a seat on the Board of Directors at the Port of Vancouver.

Glad to see you had a good career,my brother was with the Toronto police, he retired as deputy chief,then become a circuit judge.

1 hour ago, ford donald said:

Glad to see you had a good career,my brother was with the Toronto police, he retired as deputy chief,then become a circuit judge.

He sure done well. I have to admit I was quite proud of my own achievements, my wife and I worked hard at my career, she watched the kids while I done night school and improved my post secondary education, and again looked after everything while I was at courses in Canada and the United States. It paid off with my retirement at fifty six and good pensions. Life was gooood.

58 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

He sure done well. I have to admit I was quite proud of my own achievements, my wife and I worked hard at my career, she watched the kids while I done night school and improved my post secondary education, and again looked after everything while I was at courses in Canada and the United States. It paid off with my retirement at fifty six and good pensions. Life was gooood.

i love you 

Jambo_jim2001

Must have been some atmosphere in the auld times" I don't mean to be cheeky"just looking at the crowds back then,if I had a time machine I would go back to watch the greatest of the famous ❤️❤️

13 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Must have been some atmosphere in the auld times" I don't mean to be cheeky"just looking at the crowds back then,if I had a time machine I would go back to watch the greatest of the famous ❤️❤️

A game watched from the terracing or the enclosures could be a blast, sometimes you were compressed together shoulder to shoulder, and if you were halfway down and something happened the people at the back would push and the whole crowd would move down a couple of steps towards the pitch, the polis would be pulling the smaller kids out of the crowd let them sit in front of  the wee wall at the track. When a big goal was scored the roar was deafening and again with a crowd would surge, no seperation of fans and fights would start, a bad decision by a ref and bottles would fly. I went to games when home on leave, got in at the boys gate, and always shown respect for our uniform, but being guardsmen we were all tall so sometime you would hear a shout, away back to Buckingham Palace ya big *******s so us wee men can see the f...ng game. It was an experience, then to become a polis and work those very crowds but from a whole different perspective. Y'know if I were to die tomorrow and meet my maker I would say thank you sir, my life had its ups and downs but by god it has been a blast.

Jambo_jim2001

A blast and a half,the atmosphere is great just now,but back then must make the hairs on your arms and neck tingle just thinking about it😀

On 07/01/2022 at 15:50, dannymack said:

Tynecastle Park, Whestfield Entrance, Gerrards Yard 👍

tynecastle@btinternet.com_06903322-1.jpg

Gordon Smith fans on pitch 1960.jpg

I always wondered why an additional fence was erected 3/4 of the way up the Terrace in the Gorgie Road End. Anyone know why. 

avhudtheteeshirt
4 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

I always wondered why an additional fence was erected 3/4 of the way up the Terrace in the Gorgie Road End. Anyone know why. 

The young fan on the far right looks like Ryan Porteous?

Could it be the first time he had something to laugh about???

avhudtheteeshirt
1 minute ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Gordon Smith fans on pitch 1960.jpg

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Can't be, he's not rolling about pretending to have a head knock 

On 11/03/2022 at 14:26, chazza74 said:

Och, nobody really.

Just a mediocre Irish footballer (there’s a poster on here who doesn’t like Irish footballers 🤷🏿‍♂️).

He was reasonably skilful, had an eye for the ladies, and was known to have the odd sweet sherry every now and then.

Sadly, his career plummeted and he joined the Scum team from Leith.

2 hours ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

It can’t be him though, he’s not launching tumblers across a car park outside a Miners club.

Fair resemblance otherwise. 👍

Percival King
7 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

My recollection from the time is that part of the terracing wasn't deemed safe enough to remain open. I could be wrong but I thought that the rear of that terracing was on supports/stilts rather than bring built on a solid banking.

41 minutes ago, Percival King said:

My recollection from the time is that part of the terracing wasn't deemed safe enough to remain open. I could be wrong but I thought that the rear of that terracing was on supports/stilts rather than bring built on a solid banking.

Thanks for this. Sounds about right tbf. 

3 hours ago, Percival King said:

I don't think these images show the precise detail as to how the extended banking of the Wheatfield Terracing/Distillery were raised onto but definitely girders and stilts supported the terracing just like the Gorgie Road End at the entrance/exit. In most areas the terracing was extended onto the actual Distillery walls but from Gerrards right around to the Gorgie Road turnstiles it was extended onto supports.

5sgk42.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-174110_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-173716_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-173508_Chrome.jpg

FB_IMG_1510586036546.jpg

20201209_132026.jpg

FB_IMG_1539801970029.jpg

Screenshot_20220108-232107_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-230630_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20210726-151939_Twitter.jpg

20201216_163906.jpg

D8Y_DQUWwAEd4jz.jpg

20201209_132109.jpg

IMG_20181204_211510.jpg

FB_IMG_1482966894793.jpg

FB_IMG_1482966904312.jpg

Edited by dannymack

Percival King
4 hours ago, dannymack said:

I don't think these images show the precise detail as to how the extended banking of the Wheatfield Terracing/Distillery were raised onto but definitely girders and stilts supported the terracing just like the Gorgie Road End at the entrance/exit. In most areas the terracing was extended onto the actual Distillery walls but from Gerrards right around to the Gorgie Road turnstiles it was extended onto supports.

5sgk42.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-174110_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-173716_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-173508_Chrome.jpg

FB_IMG_1510586036546.jpg

20201209_132026.jpg

FB_IMG_1539801970029.jpg

Screenshot_20220108-232107_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-230630_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20210726-151939_Twitter.jpg

20201216_163906.jpg

D8Y_DQUWwAEd4jz.jpg

20201209_132109.jpg

IMG_20181204_211510.jpg

FB_IMG_1482966894793.jpg

FB_IMG_1482966904312.jpg

Some great photos there. Re.the last two of the Wheatfield being built, I remember wandering into Tynecastle one evening with my pal (the site wasn't secure) and there was a group of laddies having a kick about on the pitch - didn't know whether to shoo them off or join them......so we did neither. Probably my only chance of playing on the pitch and I blew it!

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Percival King said:

Correct 

SectionDJambo

Seeing the painted notice that "money won't be refunded under any circumstances" brings back memories of us chanting to demand our money back if a game was abandoned shortly after it started. I seem to recall some made up assumption that the club used a measure of after 20 minutes play, they kept the gate money.

I remember a friendly against Gornik in the early 70s, which should never have started, due to heavy rain and a waterlogged pitch. Sure enough, after about 20 minutes the referee abandons the match, and despite our demands for our 2/6 back, we had to trudge off home without any refunds.

At least we saw the great Lubanski splashing around for a wee while for our dosh.

On 13/03/2022 at 13:32, SectionDJambo said:

Seeing the painted notice that "money won't be refunded under any circumstances" brings back memories of us chanting to demand our money back if a game was abandoned shortly after it started. I seem to recall some made up assumption that the club used a measure of after 20 minutes play, they kept the gate money.

I remember a friendly against Gornik in the early 70s, which should never have started, due to heavy rain and a waterlogged pitch. Sure enough, after about 20 minutes the referee abandons the match, and despite our demands for our 2/6 back, we had to trudge off home without any refunds.

At least we saw the great Lubanski splashing around for a wee while for our dosh.

D8Y_DQUWwAEd4jz.jpg

FB_IMG_1510587018796.jpg

20180314_124350.jpg

On 13/03/2022 at 11:54, dannymack said:

Hearts v Celtic Cup tie 1966, just under 47k.

3-3 draw?

Tommy Walker

In the first of Football Scotland's series of how Scottish stadiums have changed throughout the years, we look at the evolution of the stadium that is regularly hailed as having the best atmosphere in the country.

Tynecastle is often the first pick when other SPFL clubs are asked to name the stadium they enjoy visiting the most.

With its steep stands in close proximity to the pitch, Hearts' home can be an intimidating place to play - and that can go for home players as well as the visitors.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/hearts-tynecastle-pictures-how-jambos-23447829

5 hours ago, Tommy Walker said:

In the first of Football Scotland's series of how Scottish stadiums have changed throughout the years, we look at the evolution of the stadium that is regularly hailed as having the best atmosphere in the country.

Tynecastle is often the first pick when other SPFL clubs are asked to name the stadium they enjoy visiting the most.

With its steep stands in close proximity to the pitch, Hearts' home can be an intimidating place to play - and that can go for home players as well as the visitors.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/hearts-tynecastle-pictures-how-jambos-23447829

Tynecastle became the first all concrete stadium in the UK in 1954?

Not having that. Must have been Easter Road. Hibs are first at everything that doesn't matter. 🤪

• 3 weeks later...
The Bannon Flick

Willie Bauld was a handsome bugger eh?

Too young to have seen him play - would give anything to go back in time to watch the 57-58 team at a packed Tynecastle. 

20 minutes ago, The Bannon Flick said:

Willie Bauld was a handsome bugger eh?

Too young to have seen him play - would give anything to go back in time to watch the 57-58 team at a packed Tynecastle. 

The one thing I still can't grasp is the fact that he passed away at such a young age, 49 years. 

The Bannon Flick
13 minutes ago, dannymack said:

The one thing I still can't grasp is the fact that he passed away at such a young age, 49 years. 

Tragic 

Just had a closer look at his stats again.

Pretty incredible.

Only 3 caps though - appreciate that there were fewer internationals then but that still seems harsh. Think Scotland squads were picked by committee back in those times. 

On 21/03/2022 at 14:19, martoon said:

Tynecastle became the first all concrete stadium in the UK in 1954?

Not having that. Must have been Easter Road. Hibs are first at everything that doesn't matter. 🤪

Hibs will be spewing they weren't the first 🤣

On 13/03/2022 at 11:54, dannymack said:

Hearts v Celtic Cup tie 1966, just under 47k.

That's a bit unsettling, danny.

It looks like an ancient old pic from the 20's/30's; not a photo that was taken just 2 years before I was born.

Feck, I am...gulp...old. 🤪😄

Edited by martoon

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This came up on a random Twitter site asking people to name which ground it is. A few thought it was Valley Parade (until they noticed the Castle). Thought I’d share it as it’s an unusual shot - not a picture of Tynecastle I’ve seen before. 

890BBB88-7C3A-4C8F-9512-BC241F703CEC.jpeg

been here before
25 minutes ago, Heart&soul said:

This came up on a random Twitter site asking people to name which ground it is. A few thought it was Valley Parade (until they noticed the Castle). Thought I’d share it as it’s an unusual shot - not a picture of Tynecastle I’ve seen before. 

Presumably taken from up on one of the floodlights at the Gorgie Road end.

Percival King
20 minutes ago, Heart&soul said:

Probably folk just trying to think of a team that play in yellow and red, they could just as easily have guessed Cliftonhill (until they noticed that, just like Bradford, Coatbridge doesn't have a castle).

53 minutes ago, Heart&soul said:

Another couple of nostalgic pictures - 1st one is from our very first match of the season after WW2 ended. 

F50CACED-D17A-45BF-AF91-29FC17C89F8D.jpeg

45EB1C94-B655-421F-A387-E23AB1532E70.jpeg

I like those black socks with maroon/white tops! 
There’s a photo earlier in the thread showing Willie Bauld in this kit. Looks like Cathkin Park to me.