Nostalgic Pictures of Hearts FC.

maroonlegions

8 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I think you’re correct - good spot!

I’m intrigued by the terracing in the background - what ground is this? Any thoughts?

Tynecastle Park, Whestfield Entrance, Gerrards Yard 👍

tynecastle@btinternet.com_06903322-1.jpg

Gordon Smith fans on pitch 1960.jpg

Edited by dannymack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel eyes

• dannymack

• Maroon Sailor

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Tynecastle Park, Whestfield Entrance, Gerrards Yard 👍

tynecastle@btinternet.com_06903322-1.jpg

Must have been a right bunch of hooligans if a sergeant is getting involved 🤣

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Must have been a right bunch of hooligans if a sergeant is getting involved 🤣

Its probably Bob Sharp.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Its probably Bob Sharp.

Nah never made it that high in the Edinburgh ranks, was an Acting Sergeant occasionally, George Urquhart who took me under his care right from the start of my career, and even visited and told my boss in Canada how to handle me, once commented nobody done a better job of acting part of being a sergeant. He meant the acting in the theatrical sense. Those wee boys were below my level of taking action at a football game

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

The guy second from the left on the back row looks a bit like Alan Anderson. The fifth one in looks like Willie Wallace. Also looks like Johnny Hamilton standing behind John Cummings.

I think you're right on all counts, davy.

Tbh, when I first viewed the pic, I assumed Alan Gordon was the guest and all the others were regulars of the supporters/skittles club.

I was looking for an older/late relative who may have been present rather than other Hearts players.

Before my time, btw (b.1968).

Ally Alexander
34 minutes ago, martoon said:

Tbh, when I first viewed the pic, I assumed Alan Gordon was the guest and all the others were regulars of the supporters/skittles club.

I was looking for an older/late relative who may have been present rather than other Hearts players.

Danny Paton on the far left and I think it may be Danny Ferguson on the left of Willie Wallace.

Montgomery Brewster
14 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I think you’re correct - good spot!

I’m intrigued by the terracing in the background - what ground is this? Any thoughts?

Tynecastle 

4 hours ago, farin said:

7B37C4CF-2F6D-493D-BEF2-F5BC3FBD3D01.thumb.jpeg.9b75ed768db5b0e52d5c010aeb9f0ca8.jpeg

An oldie from 1935. 

Thats the strip they wore when I saw my first game in 1944, the maroon shirts got me, but my favorite part was the black stockings with the maroon and white rings aound the top.

3 hours ago, martoon said:

It looks like only the footballers were wearing ties. 👍

2 hours ago, Ally Alexander said:

Danny Paton on the far left and I think it may be Danny Ferguson on the left of Willie Wallace.

I recognised them but couldn't remember their names, you may well be correct.

I also wondered if Willie Polland might be another in there.

Edited by wavydavy

50 minutes ago, farin said:

He does look like chuck. 😀

This is the team you’d have seen back then. Some great players in there. 

7E77F64C-BC24-4E90-8C12-48FE5E826D60.thumb.jpeg.bdd3e6f0c4457719f6d18a669c4b1690.jpeg

That group came a bit later, the old memory is going but I think Mackenzie, Macspadyen,Baxter, no doubts the one and only Jimmy Brown, no idea, Charlie Cox, Sloan, Conn,Kelly probably before he smashed his shoulder and the goal post, Alex McRae, Jimmy Wardhaugh.

5 hours ago, Ally Alexander said:

Before my time, Ally, but aware of Danny Paton and his ER hat-trick in the early 60's and Danny Ferguson.

That Willie Wallace lad won a League Cup winners medal with The Hearts. 

Feck knows what happened to him after he left. 🤪

9 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Tynecastle 

Yes, I see it now. I didn’t recognise the buildings behind the terraces. I always thought that terrace was bigger somehow. 
Mind you, I rarely watched a match from the old stand side of the ground.

maroonsgotop
On 07/01/2022 at 06:43, dannymack said:

You see him ?😉 

TOPPSFOOTBALL197576SCOTTISH-73.jpg

brilliant pic. Great to see the smiles on the young fans. such innocent times

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

brilliant pic. Great to see the smiles on the young fans. such innocent times

Sergeant Spoilsport is having none of it

On 07/01/2022 at 01:43, dannymack said:

You see him ?😉 

TOPPSFOOTBALL197576SCOTTISH-73.jpg

Are you saying Roy Kay is in that picture as a kid. 

8 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

Are you saying Roy Kay is in that picture as a kid. 

Yep, the wee kid with the big cheeser, facing the cameraman with the light shorts on. 

15 hours ago, dannymack said:

Yep, the wee kid with the big cheeser, facing the cameraman with the light shorts on. 

That is quite the thing. To think that I stood in the background of that picture, years latter, while I watched a pitch invasion by a bunch of over the moon kids after a game where, the goal he had scored, had set up that night to be so special for those that were there. What a game. What a night. Thanks for that and every other contribution you have made to this thread. Wonderful.  😍  

These are fab photos, Danny.  I've only ever seen a small handful of them before.  Tremendous archive.

Is that Douglas Park on the left ?

image.webp

As for this one ...... Donald might have had a few questions to answer if his wife saw this !!  😉

FB_IMG_1588203594037.jpg

jambos are go!
On 07/01/2022 at 19:49, martoon said:

The guy between Paton and Ferguson looks like Alan Anderson but also a bit like Tommy White.

On 06/01/2022 at 23:04, Wilson said:

These photos are brilliant! Just before my time, but the top one Gordon Smith?

The top photo with Gordon Smith is brilliant. The look of utter joy on the faces of the youngsters is wonderful. What year was this taken and what was the occasion? The sergeant looks as though he is an extra from Oor Willie

Footballfirst

Can anyone identify the players in this photo from 1966?

According to the EEN, the player on the left is Jim Bremner.  Eddie Thomson on the right? 

1170189729_1966Training.JPG.89eee719911213e78c7a9aa6cbef8bf9.JPG

Edited by Footballfirst

I was member of the Churchill branch and I'm in the photo at the back below what was probably a wall heater,  the players I recognize are Alan Gordon, Danny Paton, Tommy White, Danny Ferguson,  Willie Wallace, Johnny Hamilton, John Cumming. some of the member's faces are familiar but don't ask me their names after all it has been nearly 58 years since the photo was taken. The guy in front of me partly hiding my face his name was Tom Bull and lived beside me in Oxgangs.

• 1 month later...
On 18/01/2022 at 13:14, Footballfirst said:

Can anyone identify the players in this photo from 1966?

According to the EEN, the player on the left is Jim Bremner.  Eddie Thomson on the right? 

1170189729_1966Training.JPG.89eee719911213e78c7a9aa6cbef8bf9.JPG

Yes, it is Eddie Thomson on the far right of the photo. To his immediate right is Jim Cook, who left Hearts for Kilmarnock where he had a fair bit of success. To Jim Cook's right is Roy Turnbull.

On 18/01/2022 at 23:54, canjim said:

I was member of the Churchill branch and I'm in the photo at the back below what was probably a wall heater,  the players I recognize are Alan Gordon, Danny Paton, Tommy White, Danny Ferguson,  Willie Wallace, Johnny Hamilton, John Cumming. some of the member's faces are familiar but don't ask me their names after all it has been nearly 58 years since the photo was taken. The guy in front of me partly hiding my face his name was Tom Bull and lived beside me in Oxgangs.

What picture are you referring to Canjim ? 

5 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

BB0-AF53-F-0-E08-42-F6-93-A7-7-ABA9-D327

4 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

5-FDC2362-D01-F-4260-B0-F1-0-A29-D9-F8-F 

What's the background with these images ?

28 minutes ago, dannymack said:

What's the background with these images ?

Iirc, danny, the top photo appeared earlier in the thread. It was taken, apparently, before a preseason friendly in the North East in 1981. 

Blyth Spartans, Whitley Bay...?

• 2 weeks later...
ford donald
On 07/01/2022 at 19:04, Sharpie said:

Nah never made it that high in the Edinburgh ranks, was an Acting Sergeant occasionally, George Urquhart who took me under his care right from the start of my career, and even visited and told my boss in Canada how to handle me, once commented nobody done a better job of acting part of being a sergeant. He meant the acting in the theatrical sense. Those wee boys were below my level of taking action at a football game

Did you join Toronto' finest?