Nostalgic Pictures of Hearts FC.

maroonlegions

5 hours ago, dannymack said:

Despite the lack of quality in the images they're pretty haunting, I can still remember quite clearly the events from that day.

There's an image there of fans charging onto the pitch at full time and if you remember when Dundee (their fans) came onto the pitch to celebrate a lot of ours went on from the open terracing too , makes me wonder how the modern day Hearts fan woukd react to such an awful event, im guessing they'd want to exchange scarves and hug the Dee fans as a sign of good sportsmanship 😖😏 

Aye, maybe 🤣

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel eyes

• dannymack

• Maroon Sailor

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, PortyBeach said:

Aye, maybe 🤣

Meant to add, I liked your description of the scenes as “haunting”.

I think all of us who were there will always carry some emotional scars. In fact, I’m sure every Jambo who wasn’t there suffered just as much! We didn’t deserve the pain. 

Das Viertel Hearts
13 hours ago, dannymack said:

One day, a long, long time ago, Hearts travelled to Dens Park...

Screenshot_20210908-080636_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080652_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080714_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080732_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080754_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080820_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080955_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081015_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080904_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080843_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080925_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201006-062452_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201006-062406_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081100_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081116_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081132_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081147_Chrome.jpg

Should be in a museum great pics!! 

The Museum of utter football agony...many others teams could contribute...Schalke comes to mind theirs was particularly agonising also !!! 😬😕

59 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

ffs Danny thanks for that 😔

I've always maintained we should never ever try and put that season into the backs of our minds or allow Hibstic/Celtibs fans to use it as a poking rod, of course it was devastating, of course it hurt like hell but I've never looked back and been so proud of the club for lifting themselves out of the First Division, staying there and then being minutes away from winning the top title. 

Time is a healer they say, not for me, still hurts but the pain isn't as strong as the years have went by. 

I wish there was more of these pictures but of a better quality.

49 minutes ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

Should be in a museum great pics!! 

The Museum of utter football agony...many others teams could contribute...Schalke comes to mind theirs was particularly agonising also !!! 😬😕

The Hearts section, many many examples of agony.

6 minutes ago, dannymack said:

I've always maintained we should never ever try and put that season into the backs of our minds or allow Hibstic/Celtibs fans to use it as a poking rod, of course it was devastating, of course it hurt like hell but I've never looked back and been so proud of the club for lifting themselves out of the First Division, staying there and then being minutes away from winning the top title. 

Time is a healer they say, not for me, still hurts but the pain isn't as strong as the years have went by. 

completely agree mate wasn't having a go . Loved that season . 

21 minutes ago, dannymack said:

You’re right. It was a tremendous effort. It’s just that by going to the wire our failure was that much more excruciating. As you say, the hurt doesn’t go away.

Celtic won by virtue of the rules of the day. I’d argue that if you stood back and looked at the situation overall, Hearts weren’t inferior to Celtic that season. Equal on points, out of the four head-to-head league matches, we won one game and drew three. By how many goals did they “win” the title? Was it three or thereabouts? That makes them worthy champions over Hearts? Really? 
Let’s be clear: we lost the title over the first 5-6 games. Our fault. That doesn’t mean we - and the rest of Scottish football - weren’t entitled to expect every St Mirren player to give an honest and committed performance in their final game v Celtic. 
In a stark contrast, Blackburn Rovers lost their final game v Liverpool but still won the title because West Ham put in a shift (in what for them was a meaningless game) and held Man United to a draw. Only in Scotland.

8 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

You’re right. It was a tremendous effort. It’s just that by going to the wire our failure was that much more excruciating. As you say, the hurt doesn’t go away.

Celtic won by virtue of the rules of the day. I’d argue that if you stood back and looked at the situation overall, Hearts weren’t inferior to Celtic that season. Equal on points, out of the four head-to-head league matches, we won one game and drew three. By how many goals did they “win” the title? Was it three or thereabouts? That makes them worthy champions over Hearts? Really? 
Let’s be clear: we lost the title over the first 5-6 games. Our fault. That doesn’t mean we - and the rest of Scottish football - weren’t entitled to expect every St Mirren player to give an honest and committed performance in their final game v Celtic. 
In a stark contrast, Blackburn Rovers lost their final game v Liverpool but still won the title because West Ham put in a shift (in what for them was a meaningless game) and held Man United to a draw. Only in Scotland.

What a fantastic post👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 , it WAS an incredible season , we’ll never know but I’ve always felt if we’d won the title we’d have gone on to win the cup .

Wee Doddie and Sandy certainly gave us our pride back in the team 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

What a fantastic post👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 , it WAS an incredible season , we’ll never know but I’ve always felt if we’d won the title we’d have gone on to win the cup .

Wee Doddie and Sandy certainly gave us our pride back in the team 

Thanks, mate. I think you’re correct: the momentum from success at Dens would surely have carried us over the line at Hampden. And you’re also right about getting our pride back - that was a real positive.

16 hours ago, cookieboy said:

completely agree mate wasn't having a go . Loved that season . 

Cool mate, didn't take your comment that way 👍  but it's still a 'FFS' moment 😖

15 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Bare in mind celtic beat St.midden only 2-1 at Love Street a month earlier.

The week before Dens when we beat Clydebank 1-0, St.Midden beat Dundee Utd 1-2 at Tannadice, the previous week to that they beat Rangers 2-1, talk about being selective and inconsistent 😑 

Das Viertel Hearts
19 hours ago, dannymack said:

The Hearts section, many many examples of agony.

Ha ha indeed "we are going to need a bigger boat." springs to mind !! 😃

On 10/09/2021 at 07:59, dannymack said:

One day, a long, long time ago, Hearts travelled to Dens Park...

Screenshot_20210908-080636_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080652_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080714_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080732_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080754_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080820_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080955_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081015_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080904_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080843_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-080925_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201006-062452_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201006-062406_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081100_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081116_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081132_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-081147_Chrome.jpg

WHY would any Hearts fan WANT to post such awful memories?? 

Why open HEALED wounds???

Bizarre.   Then PORTY BEACH is all over it???? 

Edited by maroonlegions

39 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Healed? Not for me. Dealt with, maybe, but not, or perhaps never, healed.

But like it or not it's part of our history and has moulded us. That side showed us what was possible and we've been chasing that grail ever since. We've seen 3 Scottish cups since and a couple of tilts at the big one since. It should be used as a spur to finally get it.

50 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

I think you really do these posters a disservice. To me it's obvious from the photos they are personal, taken by someone there, and PBs response is a reflection of events.

Neither need, nor perhaps even want, me to defend them, but to be blunt I think your a bit out of order there.

41 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

42 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Life is all about experiences: some good but some bad. It’s true there are some bad experiences we try to block out. That’s what trauma does to you. 
Psychologists tell us suppressing emotional reactions isn’t healthy for us. I totally agree with you that this is an “awful memory”.

I was there on the day, and I’m still haunted. But I’m still prepared to address the situation and indeed offer my opinion about the good things as well as what we might have done better. 
We can only improve if we recognise where we went wrong, surely?

1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

The wounds are not healed, ML.  They will never be so.  The posted pictures were poignant in the extreme.  A hurtful day, a tearful day, a day we will never forget.

You do seem a little bit paranoid about anyone on here that is not waving a maroon and white flag, putting fth into every post and having any opinion that does not completely match your own.

9 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Why ? The three lettered question that in a lot of cases can go unanswered but in this case, I think I've already explained what 85/86 means to me, I've definitely NOT posted these rare images to open YOUR wounds, I've NOT posted these rare images to resurface what you describe as awful memories, they're posted because it's an event that STILL gets talked about, debated about, fans like to be reminiscent about and why not ? 

Such a glorious season that didn't end well but did I enjoy beating Hibs 3 out of 4 ? Yes, did I enjoy winning at Parkhead, Pittodrie, Ibrox, Hampden and Tannadice YOU BET I did. 

Do you think for one second I enjoyed the full time whistle at Dens and Hampden ? 

Do you honestly think my intentions after 35 years, YES 35 YEARS, was to make Hearts fans unhappy again ? That's a NAW!

24 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Why ? The three lettered question that in a lot of cases can go unanswered but in this case, I think I've already explained what 85/86 means to me, I've definitely NOT posted these rare images to open YOUR wounds, I've NOT posted these rare images to resurface what you describe as awful memories, they're posted because it's an event that STILL gets talked about, debated about, fans like to be reminiscent about and why not ? 

Such a glorious season that didn't end well but did I enjoy beating Hibs 3 out of 4 ? Yes, did I enjoy winning at Parkhead, Pittodrie, Ibrox, Hampden and Tannadice YOU BET I did. 

Do you think for one second I enjoyed the full time whistle at Dens and Hampden ? 

Do you honestly think my intentions after 35 years, YES 35 YEARS, was to make Hearts fans unhappy again ? That's a NAW!

Not that you needed to explain your thinking, but credit to you for a fulsome response.

44 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Well said, danny.

1985/86 will stay with all who lived through it. A poor start, a heartbreaking finish but, feck me, the 7 months in-between were magic. I'll never forget that fantastic season nor would I want to. 

Dens is a part of our history. Nothing to be gained by whitewashing it out.

The Hibby has tried that with 5-1 for a decade now but he'll never succeed.

12 hours ago, dannymack said:

great post

16 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

DONT FOLLOW ME FOLLOW HEARTS

That's a blast from the past @dannymack

Was it car sticker?

Yes, remember getting it from the old club shop ( ticket office ) where Alan Cunningham used to sell off his programmes.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
On 15/09/2021 at 21:46, Boris said:

Healed? Not for me. Dealt with, maybe, but not, or perhaps never, healed.

But like it or not it's part of our history and has moulded us. That side showed us what was possible and we've been chasing that grail ever since. We've seen 3 Scottish cups since and a couple of tilts at the big one since. It should be used as a spur to finally get it.

beatties last minute penalty and what it lead to laid the 1988 semi-final to rest for me

we need to win the league tho - preferably when you, me and the bulk of that magical team are still around to see it

the next 10 Scottish cups or one big league title i’d take the one league title  absolutely no question

On 15/09/2021 at 19:27, Tommy Brown said:

Screenshot_20210915-192416_Facebook.jpg

No.6 George Miller

No.4 Eddie Thomson

The trainer/physio, magic sponge man is the incomparable John Cumming.

Referee is Tiny Wharton.

Can’t make out who the No.8 is though.

I’m guessing it could be from the cup tie against Rangers in 1968, which ended up a 1-1 draw, setting up the Donald Ford only goal replay victory at Tynecastle.

I see the wee blue invalid cars in the background that used to be a regular sight at some grounds.

On 10/09/2021 at 21:11, PortyBeach said:

Aye, maybe 🤣

If that was gers or tic at Dens that day, and similar scoreline e , there would have been a pitch invasion and game abandoned, they wouldn't have allowed the game to finish !    Maybe we should have invaded and got a rematch, maybe we would have got the point then.....

20 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the next 10 Scottish cups or one big league title i’d take the one league title  absolutely no question

this 

Funny as disappointing as that day was that fame and the cup final the following week made me so full of pride at being a Jambo It made 1998 worth waiting for

There's NO other team like Hearts

On 15/09/2021 at 22:40, Morgan said:

The wounds are not healed, ML.  They will never be so.  The posted pictures were poignant in the extreme.  A hurtful day, a tearful day, a day we will never forget.

You do seem a little bit paranoid about anyone on here that is not waving a maroon and white flag, putting fth into every post and having any opinion that does not completely match your own.

Poignant or not i dont want to see them. Personal choice. Its nothing to do with paranoia either. There a lot of interlopers on here, fact. 

No way would pictures of our 5-1 be posted on Hibs.net..

So i say... 

FTH. 

On 16/09/2021 at 06:49, dannymack said:

Still dont want memories of that  day ,i was there were you??

And did you make any Hearts fans unhappy, yip ME..  Its my preference not to be reminded of that insidious day  , no matter that we beat Hibs ect....   We lost the LEAGUE that day..  

And now the cup final loss to Aberdeen that same season..

:jj_facepalm:

8 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Still dont want memories of that  day ,i was there were you??

And did you make any Hearts fans unhappy, yip ME..  Its my preference not to be reminded of that insidious day  , no matter that we beat Hibs ect....   We lost the LEAGUE that day..  

And now the cup final loss to Aberdeen that same season..

:jj_facepalm:

Yeah I was there. 

We didn't lose the league, it wasn't ours in the first place. 

That's right, an incredible day, what a team, what a support.

7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Attendance 48,723. 😱

Great clip, thanks. And what an attendance!
Does anyone else think the Hearts jerseys look a particularly light shade of maroon?

5 hours ago, dannymack said:

Yeah I was there. 

We didn't lose the league, it wasn't ours in the first place. 

That's right, an incredible day, what a team, what a support.

I was there too - still carrying the scars like everyone else.

What a support indeed. Still a cause for pride.

What I think was a greater source of pride was the reception the fans gave the boys at the old Caley Hotel. Difficult to recall without feeling emotional even now.

35 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

What I think was a greater source of pride was the reception the fans gave the boys at the old Caley Hotel. Difficult to recall without feeling emotional even now.

That 'welcome home' was superbly described in the programme 'The Team That Was' , the emotion shown and heard in the voice and expressions of Alex MacDonald was enough to produce a tear.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks strange without The Shed

20210925_090802.thumb.jpg.3cf6e8ad39ffab3998747861ac300bc3.jpg

Despite it not involving Heart of Midlothian this is a great clip of Tynecastle Park from the Main Stand, the terracing on the Distillery side looks smaller than what I remember it being with The Shed covering it. 

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

Despite it not involving Heart of Midlothian this is a great clip of Tynecastle Park from the Main Stand, the terracing on the Distillery side looks smaller than what I remember it being with The Shed covering it. 

Yes, I get the same impression although I it’s obviously an optical illusion.

I’ve said this before but I think the absence of the Shed in the film lays bare just how hemmed-in and restricted Tynecastle was/is.
On reflection, I think the Shed masked the fact that the terracing was so small. 

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

remember it well. I was stood on top of the phone boxes when Gary McKay came onto the steps of the Caley Hotel, the crowd went quiet and he belted out the Hearts song. 

22 minutes ago, dannymack said:

The pitch was just mud !

I  always remember the terracing look that size when the shed was over it - think it's because the terracing went up at both corners.

1 minute ago, maroonsgotop said:

remember it well. I was stood on top of the phone boxes when Gary McKay came onto the steps of the Caley Hotel, the crowd went quiet and he belted out the Hearts song. 

I was there. Remember the police telling everyone to quiten down as Gary wanted to say something. The Hearts song that night broke all our hearts. More than a tear in my eye that night. That's what made winning the cup three times in 14 years all the sweeter.