• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Perfection 

The old Tynie goals as well

Loved those totally unique goal stantions 😊

10 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Good photo - unusual in that it looks like he's the scorer (assuming it's a goal, and a Hearts goal). 

Some great photos on this thread. 

I saw a picture once of the Edinburgh Royal mint which I think was down the Canongate and on the wall of a building was I think a heart with Heart of Mid-lothian on it. I was really intrigued if it was maybe the dance-hall our name was taken from. 

Would love to see it again if anyone knows where it is (might be on the Edinburgh history thread but could be on any of the hundreds of pages!). 

Was the dancehall not in west crosscausway?  Might be wrong but I thought that street had played a prominent part in our beginnings.  

I'd love to know where that dancehall was.  There should be a plaque or something where it was.  

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

I found out earlier thanks to a very helpful private message that the Heart of Mid-Lothian dance club was an association of people rather that a physical place. 

As such, it was like a members club who assembled at various  locations so you could well be right that they met in West Cross-causeway. 

It might've been the place were they met to decide to start a team up.   

I mind reading that it had a prominent place in our history and it might be that.  That or used as a clubhouse when we first played at the meadows. 

9 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Was the dancehall not in west crosscausway?  Might be wrong but I thought that street had played a prominent part in our beginnings.  

I'd love to know where that dancehall was.  There should be a plaque or something where it was.  

My understanding is that the clubs first changing rooms were above a pub (Ma Anderson's) in West Crosscauseway when they played at the Meadows.  The club was formed by a group of young men who attended a dance hall in the Canongate.

On 28/08/2021 at 09:01, PortyBeach said:

Great set of images. Shows how restricted Tynecastle was/is by being so effectively hemmed-in by the distillery.
The ground has been redeveloped and it’s a redundant argument now, but I always felt we should have relocated. 

I always thought that I was the only one who felt this Porty. Tynecastle is a wonderful stadium but is too small with little scope for expansion. Jamie Bryant who was the brains behind the FOH had plans to demolish the stadium and align the pitch east/west rather than north/south as it is now. According to Jamie this would have allowed for a bigger pitch as well as a capacity in excess of 30,000. His plan was to use the FOH funds to rebuild the stadium. 

21 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I always thought that I was the only one who felt this Porty. Tynecastle is a wonderful stadium but is too small with little scope for expansion. Jamie Bryant who was the brains behind the FOH had plans to demolish the stadium and align the pitch east/west rather than north/south as it is now. According to Jamie this would have allowed for a bigger pitch as well as a capacity in excess of 30,000. His plan was to use the FOH funds to rebuild the stadium. 

You could do this initially by just demolishing the wheatfield. Build a new west stand (with corners) behind the goals and do the rest as and when. 

Thankyou 😉

12 minutes ago, mre said:

You could do this initially by just demolishing the wheatfield. Build a new west stand (with corners) behind the goals and do the rest as and when. 

Thankyou 😉

I'm not an architect but it seems to me that the current capacity at Tynecastle is too small to allow the club to develop to its full potential. It was interesting a few years ago when we played at Murrayfield that we had 26,000 against Aberdeen and 36,000 against Rangers. I'm sure we also had over 20,000 when we played Kilmarnock. And that was a poor Hearts side. Imagine if we were challenging at the top of the league. Smaller attendance means less revenue. 

iwasthere1954
52 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I'm not an architect but it seems to me that the current capacity at Tynecastle is too small to allow the club to develop to its full potential. It was interesting a few years ago when we played at Murrayfield that we had 26,000 against Aberdeen and 36,000 against Rangers. I'm sure we also had over 20,000 when we played Kilmarnock. And that was a poor Hearts side. Imagine if we were challenging at the top of the league. Smaller attendance means less revenue. 

8 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I found out earlier thanks to a very helpful private message that the Heart of Mid-Lothian dance club was an association of people rather that a physical place. 

As such, it was like a members club who assembled at various  locations so you could well be right that they met in West Cross-causeway. 

I'm really enjoying this thread, not only for the photographs but the amount of interest in our history. I think that social media has on this occasion helped so many fans that want to know the real history of the club. As an older guy it saddens me that in the past interest seemed to be limited to to a small amount of fans, some of them i knew. So carry on exploring the history and putting it on kickback. Even at my age I want to know more. 

8 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

It might've been the place were they met to decide to start a team up.   

I mind reading that it had a prominent place in our history and it might be that.  That or used as a clubhouse when we first played at the meadows. 

You should do one of the Hearts historical tours, if and when they restart. Very interesting and enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, Libertarian said:

My understanding is that the clubs first changing rooms were above a pub (Ma Anderson's) in West Crosscauseway when they played at the Meadows.  The club was formed by a group of young men who attended a dance hall in the Canongate.

That’s my understanding as well. 

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You should do one of the Hearts historical tours, if and when they restart. Very interesting and enjoyable. 

Brilliant suggestions.  Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I've always thought that too, just under 20k is too small, we prob needed a 28/30k capacity, but suppose be happy with what we got.

5 hours ago, Libertarian said:

With the granting of a safety certificate for the old grandstand becoming more uncertain each year, we might not have had much choice but to bite the bullet and rebuild on the existing site? I don’t know.
I think you make a good point about the club’s potential. The club directors seem to have understood this point in the 1930s with their mooted plans to relocate and the success years in the 1950s surely reinforced the point.

Unfortunately, successive boards in those decades proved lacking in terms of vision and ambition (I appreciate there was the slight distraction of an existential war in between 😊). The sales of Dave Mackay and Alex Young underline this, I feel.
As you say, Tynecastle is a decent arena but I think we’ve missed the opportunity to play in an even better one that would allow growth and possibly generate more corporate income.

Edited by PortyBeach

On 03/09/2021 at 11:12, BarneyBattles said:

Good photo - unusual in that it looks like he's the scorer (assuming it's a goal, and a Hearts goal). 

Some great photos on this thread. 

I saw a picture once of the Edinburgh Royal mint which I think was down the Canongate and on the wall of a building was I think a heart with Heart of Mid-lothian on it. I was really intrigued if it was maybe the dance-hall our name was taken from. 

Would love to see it again if anyone knows where it is (might be on the Edinburgh history thread but could be on any of the hundreds of pages!). 

I think that’s a save by the Celtic goalie.

I seem to remember the photo from perhaps Albert Mackie’s book, “The Hearts”, which my Dad bought me when I was a youngster.

On 03/09/2021 at 07:55, dannymack said:

Happy Anniversary 

FB_IMG_1432507226672.jpg

Great photo. I remember that game vividly -the old ground was rocking!

As someone mentions elsewhere, it’s also great to see the old arced goal stanchions again! Look also at how much space behind the goal area we’ve given up with redevelopment.

PS - I like your picture of Bobby Walker wearing the Scotland jersey with Lord Rosebery’s colours.

Edited by PortyBeach

peebles jambo
On 07/10/2020 at 09:19, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Jimmy Bone scores the 3rd in a 3-2 win over Hibs in September 1983.  An 18 year Robbo also scored the first of his 27 goals against Hibs in this game.

bone.jpg

First game i took my oldest son to, he's been hooked ever since

15 minutes ago, farin said:

Yep, it’s actually at page 145 in mackie’s book saying Beattie puts it out for a corner in the 1956 cup final. 

C2C32DE8-0F25-4FFC-B3D4-0ABD54B7F32F.thumb.jpeg.7abed20c6b9cab2309a82b036356a8dc.jpeg

That’s spooky, farin. I just dug out my now fragile copy of the book and confirmed my suspicions about the photo when your post pinged in 😱
Bauld mentioned as the “Menace in Maroon” 🇱🇻

2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Thanks PB. Love the old photos / stories. 

There are some great photos in the pub I occasionally frequent showing hearts players on loan at Newtongrange star, including King Willie. My house is roughly in one of the penalty boxes on the old star ground.

You’re welcome, BB! See post from “farin” above re King Willie’s 1956 cup final photo.

I liked your comment about your house being in a penalty box!
I’ve always thought it would be great to live in Logie Green Road which is on the site of the 1896 cup final ground. 

5981CF2C-FA2C-4354-954C-4567D0C93E0F.jpeg

Edited by PortyBeach

1 hour ago, farin said:

Yep, it’s actually at page 145 in mackie’s book saying Beattie puts it out for a corner in the 1956 cup final. 

C2C32DE8-0F25-4FFC-B3D4-0ABD54B7F32F.thumb.jpeg.7abed20c6b9cab2309a82b036356a8dc.jpeg

One of the best posters on JKB is back!

55 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I’ve always thought it would be great to live in Logie Green Road which is on the site of the 1896 cup final ground. 

5981CF2C-FA2C-4354-954C-4567D0C93E0F.jpeg

Old pitch markings :lol:

Would love to see the rule book back then.

Edited by Tommy Brown

9 hours ago, chefjambo said:

We’re you in the kilted pig last night ??

Don’t know if you’re asking me or Tommy the question mate, but no, I wasn’t in the “Pig” last night.

I haven’t been there in years! Nice pub, I recall 😊.

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Rule 1. Penalty to Rangers...

🤣 At least, some things haven’t changed.

Rule 2 - if Rangers go bust, award the new club all the previous trophies won.

11 hours ago, farin said:

It’s a framed photo that my late dad had and is now in my Hearts room in my house . I’m guessing there must be a few of them as there was another similar style one posted earlier , but it’s great to get some info on it . Never thought of checking the book though 🙈

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

It’s a framed photo that my late dad had and is now in my Hearts room in my house . I’m guessing there must be a few of them as there was another similar style one posted earlier , but it’s great to get some info on it . Never thought of checking the book though 🙈

A Hearts room. 😎

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A Hearts room. 😎

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Impressive. 

Not overly impressive , when I say a room it’s a bloody small room , just a few things that’s been squired over the years 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not overly impressive , when I say a room it’s a bloody small room , just a few things that’s been squired over the years 👍🏻

👍

Maroon Sailor

The days when the club could just charge what they want for certain games !

I instantly think of the pieman 🤣

I know Mercer was still in control when this match was played

20210905_130155.thumb.jpg.7de27d28b9d184264d262fe35e9af252.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

49 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think Slavia were/are Rudi Skacel’s boyhood team.

Preferred Sparta in their Maroon myself 😊

23 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Great photo. I remember that game vividly -the old ground was rocking!

As someone mentions elsewhere, it’s also great to see the old arced goal stanchions again! Look also at how much space behind the goal area we’ve given up with redevelopment.

PS - I like your picture of Bobby Walker wearing the Scotland jersey with Lord Rosebery’s colours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Colour-Football-Print-Bobby-Walker-Scotland-Hearts-1901-A4-/254702139915?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

FB_IMG_1599455169275 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20201216-003810_Facebook.jpg

Bobby%20Walker%20Scotland.jpg

Charles%20Thomson.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, farin said:

Cheap compared to today. Great night & result. 

7B6F59C1-117B-48F5-AD8C-B11FAEF7BE90.thumb.jpeg.ec45e863ba942149b4feb80935b5aa1a.jpeg

Was in the Gorgie Road End that night. It was strange to be in the traditional home end again.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1930 kick of time, I wonder when 1945 became the norm? 

The moment our hearts sank, the moment we had to change, the moment Rangers knew they could step up, after only 5 minutes on the clock this young man's quest to lead Hearts up the steps as winners ended. 

Despite the thread title staying nostalgic this image definitely doesn't fall into that category, more of a poignant photo of what if ? 

I'm certainly not glorifying this incident, far from it but IF Gary had avoided injury that day I still maintain our future Hearts timeline would have changed.

Regardless of what you think of him the laddie would have went on to be another Hearts legend on the turf... fan, player, captain,coach, manager ambassador!

image.jpg

Manager Jim Jeffries clinched the club's first silverware in 36 years with 2-1 win over Rangers in the 1998 Scottish Cup Final-.jpg

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

The moment our hearts sank, the moment we had to change, the moment Rangers knew they could step up, after only 5 minutes on the clock this young man's quest to lead Hearts up the steps as winners ended. 

Despite the thread title staying nostalgic this image definitely doesn't fall into that category, more of a poignant photo of what if ? 

I'm certainly not glorifying this incident, far from it but IF Gary had avoided injury that day I still maintain our future Hearts timeline would have changed.

Regardless of what you think of him the laddie would have went on to be another Hearts legend on the turf... fan, player, captain,coach, manager ambassador!

image.jpg

Manager Jim Jeffries clinched the club's first silverware in 36 years with 2-1 win over Rangers in the 1998 Scottish Cup Final-.jpg

We were awful that day, worst I’ve seen us in a cup final. I don’t think the Locke injury changed the outcome but then again we will never know!!

However the hurt that day, followed by the joy when Robbo scored in ‘96 LC Final together with Jeffries leadership set us up for the greatest ever day when we won the cup in 1998 ♥️ 🏆 ♥️ 

Not the Hearts players but the Hearts supporters leaving on the Merchiston Hearts bus to Wembley , sadly not sure of the year . 
It’s either Orwell Terrace or Place where the club started that the bus is leaving from . 

883E9D0B-6644-4F3E-9E6B-C26D3F1FFD3E.jpeg

F4D21F28-3C03-41EB-B3D5-7A2075FA1612.jpeg

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not the Hearts players but the Hearts supporters leaving on the Merchiston Hearts bus to Wembley , sadly not sure of the year . 
It’s either Orwell Terrace or Place where the club started that the bus is leaving from . 

883E9D0B-6644-4F3E-9E6B-C26D3F1FFD3E.jpeg

F4D21F28-3C03-41EB-B3D5-7A2075FA1612.jpeg

Place    Dalry house

Think the piper could be my late dad, We lived in Caledonian Crescent  he was a member of the club ,as I am today.

He was not going to the game as he did not go to Wembley until he went with me in 1969. Think the club moved to Gorgie Road in 1957/58

7 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Interesting - if painful 😖 

Despite the lack of quality in the images they're pretty haunting, I can still remember quite clearly the events from that day.

There's an image there of fans charging onto the pitch at full time and if you remember when Dundee (their fans) came onto the pitch to celebrate a lot of ours went on from the open terracing too , makes me wonder how the modern day Hearts fan woukd react to such an awful event, im guessing they'd want to exchange scarves and hug the Dee fans as a sign of good sportsmanship 😖😏