been here before
21 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Barney Battles jnr ??

Correct.

Presumably here-

0_buildings_-_barnie_beatles_pub.jpg.b533109e81544f2fdae05b92e3931767.jpg

Das Viertel Hearts
On 22/04/2021 at 21:14, EH11_2NL said:

My first derby. Didn't we also beat Sevco in the league cup the same week?

Mine also ... Robertson's beautiful chip over Rough the equal if not better than Eder's -v- Scotland at the 82 World Cup !! : )   Time stood still !!!  : ) 

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

Guess who in 1961 

barney-battles-ex-hearts-centre-forward-player-now-owns-a-pub-at-newhaven-where-he-is-pictured-here-box-0616-20072015-00007a-jpg-shutterstock-editorial-4930494a.jpg

Screenshot_20210513-081211_Chrome (4).jpg

I thought it might be you, danny?

😉😆

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

What was the Judas Milligan about ?

Did he support the move to Murrayfield?

3fingersreid
20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Did he support the move to Murrayfield?

I honestly can’t remember , but it probably would be that 

• 3 months later...
MoncurMacdonaldMercer
On 06/05/2021 at 11:14, martoon said:

I wasn't there myself, MS. Only 10/11 years old and not allowed to attend derbies then.

My dad was, though, and told me about it. 

police horse Grand National at the top of Easter road - lifetime memories of utter madness following hearts :)

So many great photographs and stories.

I'll start with my Dad, his first game was a friendly between Hearts and Chelsea in 1947, he was 12 and said he was visiting relatives who stayed in Ardmillan, he was bored so went for a walk and followed the crowd into the game on his own, he remembers a policeman asking him if he was okay and then pointing to the pitch and saying "See that man there? That's Tommy Walker, mind and tell your grandkids you saw Tommy Walker playing for Hearts", Tommy played one half for Hearts one for Chelsea. His last game at Tynecastle was in 2003 I think, I got him a ticket for his birthday, as luck would have it the half-time hero was a certain Dave Mackay, Dad's all-time favourite player. The last time he went to a Hearts game was the 2006 semi-fina so he went out on a high, he passed in 2011, I wore his last replica top to the 2012 final.

I reckon Sunday saw me start my 54th season as a Hearts supporter though the first few years were a bit hit and miss regarding attendance due to us moving from Ratho Station to Inverness in '73. My earliest memories are waiting outside the Roseburn where my Dad had a part-time job and met his mates before a game, then walking down Russell Rd and McLeod Street to either go in the stand or into the terrace at the school end, sitting on the wall at the side of the pitch watching Cruickshanks, Jeffries, Anderson and my hero Donald Ford. So many memories, my only regret was the Bayern game when my Dad was in the Gorgie end but I was behind the goal at the school end, wish we had been side by side. My Dad knew Bobby Parker so as a treat before we left for Inverness Dad organised for us to be met by Mr. Parker, then the club chairman, before a game and I was then taken in to the dressing room and met all the players. My youngest son and I had season tickets until a couple of years ago, hope to be getting a season book next year with him.

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

police horse Grand National at the top of Easter road - lifetime memories of utter madness following hearts :)

Aye, MMM.

Witnessed the madness of the early/mid 80s and even joined in at times.

Great time to be a young Hearts supporter.

The 90 mins of football in between was often a downer but still...😊

2 hours ago, Macros said:

So many great photographs and stories.

I'll start with my Dad, his first game was a friendly between Hearts and Chelsea in 1947, he was 12 and said he was visiting relatives who stayed in Ardmillan, he was bored so went for a walk and followed the crowd into the game on his own, he remembers a policeman asking him if he was okay and then pointing to the pitch and saying "See that man there? That's Tommy Walker, mind and tell your grandkids you saw Tommy Walker playing for Hearts", Tommy played one half for Hearts one for Chelsea. His last game at Tynecastle was in 2003 I think, I got him a ticket for his birthday, as luck would have it the half-time hero was a certain Dave Mackay, Dad's all-time favourite player. The last time he went to a Hearts game was the 2006 semi-fina so he went out on a high, he passed in 2011, I wore his last replica top to the 2012 final.

I reckon Sunday saw me start my 54th season as a Hearts supporter though the first few years were a bit hit and miss regarding attendance due to us moving from Ratho Station to Inverness in '73. My earliest memories are waiting outside the Roseburn where my Dad had a part-time job and met his mates before a game, then walking down Russell Rd and McLeod Street to either go in the stand or into the terrace at the school end, sitting on the wall at the side of the pitch watching Cruickshanks, Jeffries, Anderson and my hero Donald Ford. So many memories, my only regret was the Bayern game when my Dad was in the Gorgie end but I was behind the goal at the school end, wish we had been side by side. My Dad knew Bobby Parker so as a treat before we left for Inverness Dad organised for us to be met by Mr. Parker, then the club chairman, before a game and I was then taken in to the dressing room and met all the players. My youngest son and I had season tickets until a couple of years ago, hope to be getting a season book next year with him.

Nice story. 👍

Despite the result I still remember that day quite freshly however I'm still adamant Hearts played alright on the day, 2 glorious 1st half chances, Berry hits the bar with a stonewall penalty denied in the 2nd half.

gettyimages-89115530-1024x1024.jpg

33ddyx.jpg

02_Untitled-6copy_rdax_80.jpg

5662e1881d3dda475b2c2b37904cf3c9.jpg

913468-1-1024x707.jpg

12_Untitled-5copy_rdax_80.jpg

scf 1986 3.jpg

scf 1986 2.jpg

scf 1986 1.jpg

John Findlay
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

willie-bauld-footballer-with-a-black-eye-box-710-41710168-a-jpg-shutterstock-editorial-9005340a.jpg

john-cumming-heart-of-midlothian-f-c-footballer-and-his-wife-jane-box-556-shutterstock-editorial-4752021a.jpg

freddie-glidden-heart-of-midlothian-f-c-footballer-box-553-shutterstock-editorial-4725384a.jpg

EoTMqoUXIAAnd4l.jpg

Proper football players. Who would have been embarrassed to go down and feign injury.

Scott Brown wouldn't have lasted 30 seconds with any of them bar one.

John Cummings he wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds.

John Findlay
13 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

BCEBA642-4-AE3-4-CF5-9-BE8-35-DE694-C64-

A6781-BB5-A1-D0-4-CB8-9-B43-579-BA3-CC30

Kenny Aird getting carried off upper photo.

Busby and Willie Gibson up the Gorgie End.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Kenny Aird getting carried off upper photo.

Busby and Willie Gibson up the Gorgie End.

I think that might be Ian Smith. A bit to much hair for Willie, as I recall.

Smith was one of Willie Ormond's signings for our attempt to get promotion at the first attempt. I seem to remember him scoring a couple early on but can't recall why he never stuck around. Maybe wanting to study somewhere away from Edinburgh? We also had the lad Johnson, or Johnston, who gave up football to concentrate on rugby, where he earned international caps.

11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Proper football players. Who would have been embarrassed to go down and feign injury.

Scott Brown wouldn't have lasted 30 seconds with any of them bar one.

John Cummings he wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds.

I honestly hate being a pedant but this is one of my pet hates . Our most decorated player does not have an S at the end of his surname John . Sorry 

On 05/10/2020 at 19:56, Wilson said:

And a rare pic of Cruickie as a very young lad at Queen's Park...

1571E84E-C92D-4364-A2BE-C8D46BDB8943.jpeg

Think I saw this pic in another thread on this site. Someone pointed out this was a Scottish Cup tie for Hearts against a Borders team. 

On 17/02/2021 at 19:47, Rizla said:

FS if it wasn’t for Hearts painted on the sheet you’d think that was Huns on tour.

Difficult to challenge the “Huns without the bus fares” jibe with sights like this, eh?

39 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Think I saw this pic in another thread on this site. Someone pointed out this was a Scottish Cup tie for Hearts against a Borders team. 

1571E84E-C92D-4364-A2BE-C8D46BDB8943.jpeg.256f82e2b571582fc445e0245e37070a.jpeg.391dafe332f9a0508926377f8e9d21d4.jpeg

"Hey son, who won the 3.15 at Musselburgh?"

On 21/01/2021 at 21:31, Libertarian said:

I'm sure that they are the colours of the Earl of Roseberry who was a patron of the Hearts 

The primrose & yellow hoops were indeed the racing colours of Earl Rosebery who was at one time honorary President of HMFC - as well as the SFA. The Scotland team occasionally wore Rosebery’s colours as a result. Rosebery also established a charity cup competition in which Edinburgh and East of Scotland football clubs participated for many years. There was a nod to this history by Hearts in 2016-17 with a Rosebery-inspired away strip. It wasn’t a good version, in my view ☹️

9 hours ago, cookieboy said:

I honestly hate being a pedant but this is one of my pet hates . Our most decorated player does not have an S at the end of his surname John . Sorry 

Sir Cliff Richards !!!! 

My mum goes mental at that 🤣

9 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Vale of Leithen SC tie in 1962

Hearts won 5-0.

I travelled down to Innerleithen on the train from Portobello Station. 

I was with a pal just the two of us we were 11yo.

Kids had much more freedom back then. 

Nowadays the club wouldn't even sell us a ticket without our parents. 

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Hearts won 5-0.

Freedoms aside, isn’t it amazing that two little lads could get themselves with relative ease from Porty to the Scottish Borders!! Progress, eh?

9 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Difficult to challenge the “Huns without the bus fares” jibe with sights like this, eh?

It’s difficult to challenge anything on sites like this.

14 hours ago, dannymack said:

Yep, sure is. 

hope you don't mind if I share it with their family 

14 hours ago, dannymack said:

Sir Cliff Richards !!!! 

My mum goes mental at that 🤣

mines as well haha 

Lone Striker
On 25/08/2021 at 12:03, SectionDJambo said:

I think that might be Ian Smith. A bit to much hair for Willie, as I recall.

Smith was one of Willie Ormond's signings for our attempt to get promotion at the first attempt. I seem to remember him scoring a couple early on but can't recall why he never stuck around. Maybe wanting to study somewhere away from Edinburgh? We also had the lad Johnson, or Johnston, who gave up football to concentrate on rugby, where he earned international caps.

Could be Smith - although I don't remember him.  I thought it might be Pat McShane. 

It was mostly an embarrassing era, being relegated for the first time ever .... and then again 2 years later.    I felt sorry for Busby & Gibson who had proved themselves to be good players at the top level, but  having to carry a poor squad at god-forsaken places like Methil, Greenock  & Alloa.

58 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

hope you don't mind if I share it with their family 

mines as well haha 

Bash on, not my copyright mate 👍

On 03/03/2021 at 06:30, dannymack said:

Part of The North British Distillery

711c9c9c32dec852a33b2642dce90926.jpg

20201216_163829.jpg

20201216_163701.jpg

20201216_163647.jpg

Hearts new signings 1957-58, Kelly, McIntosh, Clark, Cunning.jpg

Hibernian 1.1.1959 (Div 1) 1-3 (H) Alex Young scores Hearts'.jpg

FB_IMG_1486681096470.jpg

IMG_20181204_211510.jpg

FB_IMG_1510586160428.jpg

Great set of images. Shows how restricted Tynecastle was/is by being so effectively hemmed-in by the distillery.
The ground has been redeveloped and it’s a redundant argument now, but I always felt we should have relocated. 

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

Great set of images. Shows how restricted Tynecastle was/is by being so effectively hemmed-in by the distillery.
The ground has been redeveloped and it’s a redundant argument now, but I always felt we should have relocated. 

I totally get what you're saying. Imagine if we did build a new stadium as was planned just before the outbreak of ww2. Pretty sure the plans were for a 100000 stadium around saughton area.

On 04/03/2021 at 00:33, dannymack said:

Fantastic footage of Tynecastle Parks open terracing with that large building in the background. 

Great clip. Another occasion when that great Hibs side (didn’t they win the title that year?) failed in the Scottish Cup. 
I know the rule applied to everyone, but surely it was obvious back then that not allowing a substitute when a team loses a player to injury is crazy. 

Watching Hearts triumph in 1956 must have been a sickener! 

1 hour ago, superjack said:

I totally get what you're saying. Imagine if we did build a new stadium as was planned just before the outbreak of ww2. Pretty sure the plans were for a 100000 stadium around saughton area.

Yes, I think sites at both Saughton and Sighthill were mooted and you’re correct about the projected ground capacity. A move to Murrayfield was also an idea they toyed with. 
I know it’s easy for me to sit here and say, but I do think these were missed opportunities for the club’s growth and development. What’s that saying: “Build it and they will come”?

been here before
2 hours ago, superjack said:

sighthill.thumb.jpg.199aab898d95147eea7336bef0f4280f.jpg

1938/39 plans for a new ground at Saughton Mains, around Saughton Road North and Saughton Mains Street area.  10k main stand and 10k in an enclosure just in front. Another 80ish thousand could be fitted around the pitch.

Training pitch top left and 2 car parks for up to 2750 cars. The training pitch doubled as one of the car parks.

Edited by been here before

On 26/08/2021 at 08:29, luckydug said:

Hearts won 5-0.

Brilliant memory.