Nostalgic Pictures of Hearts FC.

maroonlegions

John Findlay

The memories just come flooding back.

I've been fortunate to have seen and played football in some magnificent places in this world, but there isint and never will be anywhere that can beat Gorgie and Tynecastle Park.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel eyes

• dannymack

• Maroon Sailor

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Wilson said:

And a rare pic of Cruickie as a very young lad at Queen's Park...

1571E84E-C92D-4364-A2BE-C8D46BDB8943.jpeg

That’s actually Cruickie playing for Hearts in a cup tie at Vale of Leithen in 1962

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

I can't remember changing ends, but I remember paying in at McLeod street in my first derby and being surprised to see it was hibs fans behind the goals and having to walk past them all.  It was that 1-1 game when I think it was McLeod who got a 98th minute equaliser... 

I missed the frankie says o'connor derby and never saw us best them until the 3-2 robbos first goals against them.  I even remember in 79 walking up London road two weeks in a row after getting best 2-1 both times.  One a Scottish cup quarter final.  

League game was 1 -1

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

"What won the 3.40 at Ascot, pal?"

“Skacels brace at 5/1 Mister”

”Can I have your autograph”?  

:notworthy:

46 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

That’s actually Cruickie playing for Hearts in a cup tie at Vale of Leithen in 1962

So it would seem. It was sent to me by a Queen's supporting mate.  Still a cracking pic!

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Iconic? 

6C951863-D59B-4747-9D57-304D4A296881.jpeg

You bet your sweet arse. The story goes Wullie Johnston had done it before Tommy Murray nothing said. Tommy does it against them at Ibrox which leads to Donald Ford scoring in a 0-1 victory and the GFA ban the doing of it.

Lone Striker
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Busby scored a header against Leipzeig at the school end, I think it's that goal in the picture above. Drew was a very fine headerer of the ball. I remember him scoring a cracking diving header against Killie at the Gorgie Road end too.

Drew scored a header like that at  Cup replay against Killie in 1977 - we won 2-0 - it was the game in which Hearts invited Willie Bauld back to Tynecastle after the fall-out from his testimonial in 1962 when they made him pay for the ball.   I think he died later that year.

I'm just glad that they repaired the damage with Willie that night - he got several rousing choruses of "One Willie Bauld" at the game.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

You bet your sweet arse. The story goes Wullie Johnston had done it before Tommy Murray nothing said. Tommy does it against them at Ibrox which leads to Donald Ford scoring in a 0-1 victory and the GFA ban the doing of it.

Previous season johnstonsat on the ball   they won6-0

21 hours ago, farin said:

E174D9E6-FA62-41C2-B87A-B56C8CC0F932.thumb.jpeg.54ae483cf2b15998d29f3511dfb9418a.jpeg

4C0A6489-1446-4BE2-98DD-FB5C7F7553AC.thumb.jpeg.78fea903a04fe282c6a86e4c892cbb72.jpeg

2E380792-DD14-46A6-863B-A2F5FE8B71C7.thumb.jpeg.05aee5ac4d4daf38b60388ad1f5f9465.jpeg

Great photos, but I fear I would receive my first kickback ban, if I added my comment of the to photo.

:rofl:

The poses and moustaches. Omg.

16 hours ago, j1964m said:

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Busby scored a header against Leipzeig at the school end, I think it's that goal in the picture above. Drew was a very fine headerer of the ball. I remember him scoring a cracking diving header against Killie at the Gorgie Road end too.

Correct John.

A night our age group and above will never forget.

4th goal by the Buzzbomb.

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Correct John.

A night our age group and above will never forget.

4th goal by the Buzzbomb.

To this day. Still one of the best performances by a Hearts team I've ever witnessed.

3 hours ago, Sherbet said:

League game was 1 -1

One of the two games in a row at Easter road was 1-1?  I must've been gutted at not beating them out felt like a loss.  That and my memory not good as it was.  

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Previous season johnstonsat on the ball   they won6-0

Correct!  At both games and thought the same about the football authorities then as I do now.

millerjames398
17 hours ago, brux said:

Still miss the shed.

20201006_014825.jpg

Those steps at the 1st crash gate, is where i used to stand as a kid😥, until i ventured along to the shed😆, great views of JC rippin the piss on the wing👍🏼🇱🇻

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

E2-CF98-B8-9219-42-F3-A80-F-4-DA25-D44-C

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Seen onto the breast pocket of your Wrangler jacket.

Or your heavily weighted scarf!

8CA1B619-2D47-4C2C-9A76-90EAC2EF7915.jpeg

Lone Striker

This is a brilliant thread . Big thanks to everyone who has posted stuff, many of them I've never seen before.   👍👏

A wee co-incidence story from a few hours ago -        After looking through all these photos this afternoon, I took the dogs out at 5pm for a walk up to the canal here.             We bumped into an old couple with 2 terrier dogs.   After a brief chat and a bout of dog-sniffing, the lady told me the names of her 2 dogs - Alfie and Zico.   Hmmmm, interesting I thought.      The lady said the dogs belonged to her son who  had given the dogs these names. Then unprompted, she said he's a Hearts supporter - but she had no idea why these names were chosen.    With great pride, I explained the significance to her.     All you see around here are Bigot Brother tops, so it was a heart-warming way to end  the dog walk.

:smugger:

Edited by Lone Striker

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

When I was but a young lad I used to have a poster on my bedroom wall of the 1968 cup final squad. I’m pretty sure it was taken just before the final in black and white on ‘shiny’ paper and was likely produced by the Evening News.  Anyone remember this or has a copy they could post up? I remember It also included the Lord Provost ( Herbert Brechin ) as I was quite fascinated by his name. You didn’t get many Herberts in Bonnyrigg, at that time.

I might have one in the loft - decluttering over next few weeks, if I find it I’ll post on here!

Just found one of my favourite shirts ...

22A8A034-8208-409F-B94C-4C5E0E427448.jpeg

Edited by Jambo-Fox

Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

I might have one in the loft - decluttering over next few weeks, if I find it I’ll post on here!

Just one of my favourite shirts ...

Lovely shirt. 👍

Montgomery Brewster
12 minutes ago, farin said:

I know, different era etc 😄 I love these old team pics tbh. 

7163067D-964F-4FF7-8521-156EB0064472.thumb.jpeg.3f171ae0f64076be09ca57531a347f87.jpeg

A classic. 

Bobby Blackwood was a great player by all accounts however he couldn’t lace his brothers boots - Eric.

Sadly he never made it as didn’t have that wee bit heart. RIP Eric 

Lone Striker
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Wow ... what era is that from ?  When did shirts start carrying the sportwear company name ?   I've always associated Bukta with the Lochend mob... not us !!

Lone Striker
20 minutes ago, farin said:

I know, different era etc 😄 I love these old team pics tbh. 

7163067D-964F-4FF7-8521-156EB0064472.thumb.jpeg.3f171ae0f64076be09ca57531a347f87.jpeg

Fabulous - a real collectors item, with autographs too !!    👍   I hadn't realised that Johnny Harvey's time at the club started that far back -  I was in the same class as his daughter Elaine at primary school,

been here before
16 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow ... what era is that from ?  When did shirts start carrying the sportwear company name ?   I've always associated Bukta with the Lochend mob... not us !!

88-90

Lone Striker
11 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

8A9FF4C8-42EF-4160-A8B9-16378EABF2A9.jpeg

Beautiful - King Willie slips another past the keeper, leaving George Young and Eric Caldow helpless !! 

32 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Played against Bayern München in the UEFA Cup QF 2nd leg in that strip.

Always love it.

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Played against Bayern München in the UEFA Cup QF 2nd leg in that strip.

Always love it.

The "JC dribble and miss" game ?   Must admit I didn't note the strip they wore that night.     Nice jersey indeed,  👍

Man that is quite a thread, I have been told quite often recently remember the good times and memories. Well doing that for the second time in recent months with this thread has almost brought back more tears. What a part Heart of Midlothian played in my life. never any doubt who I would follow, the old man must have seen blood when he was young and decided I am going to follow a team that wears those colors for the rest of my life. In 1944 I was nine, the air raids had pretty well stopped and  I was finally taken to a seat in the stand to see my first game I loved it the atmosphere, mainly older men playing but at my age anyone over sixteen was really old. Can't remember the teams, but I loved Hearts and had a taste for Partick and Queens Park.  

As I got older went to games with my pals, and when at Boroughmuir skipped school a couple of time s for Wednesday afternoon games, another skipper was a good school friend Willie Duff. Looking at some of the old pictures Bobby Parker, Tam Mackenzie, had a shop when he retired at the Duddingston train station, I knew him when I was in the polis, good defenceman, no such a nice shopkeeper. A wee bit older 1954 on the Suez Canal Zone, listened to Armed Forces Radio as Hearts won their league cup. Later that year December was in Caley Station met my old bud Willie Duff, told him how lucky he was playing for Hearts, he was still an apprentice and hadn't done his NS yet, he saw my two stripes, and said I was the lucky one, I was well on the way into my service, knew where I was going and he had no idea if he was going to be staying with Hearts or somewhere else, as it turned out thats how it happened.

Into the Polis, saw my father and was with him for what I think was the happiest day of his life. 1956, got on a bus with the Braid Place Police, his main ambition seeing his son in the police, and even going in a bus with them to see Hearts win the Scottish Cup.  

Time as it does went on now had the service that when working games always got detailed to walking around the pitch, again the old man enjoyed getting off his seat and waving to his polis son, I guess playing for Hearts would have been the only thing better. If not working was at the games so didn't miss many home games, got the old man into travelling to games ent with a bus with some guys from the Fair Exchange pub, The old man enjoyed that also. Had got to an age where I knew some of the players form my younger days and others from  just contact for one thing or another, Remember waiting outside Tynecastle for duty, and Freddy Glidden and Jimmy Milne passed, after a few words Glidden nodded at me and asked Milne how would you like to have to face a centre that size every game.  

I have loved Hearts now in absentia for about seventy six years, have my souvenirs and memories, its like another level of family, like families the present got older, and now the present is so young that the generational gap is as wide as the distance between Edinburgh and Kelowna, but the love is just as deep.

'

J.T.F.Robertson
43 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Man that is quite a thread, I have been told quite often recently remember the good times and memories. Well doing that for the second time in recent months with this thread has almost brought back more tears. What a part Heart of Midlothian played in my life. never any doubt who I would follow, the old man must have seen blood when he was young and decided I am going to follow a team that wears those colors for the rest of my life. In 1944 I was nine, the air raids had pretty well stopped and  I was finally taken to a seat in the stand to see my first game I loved it the atmosphere, mainly older men playing but at my age anyone over sixteen was really old. Can't remember the teams, but I loved Hearts and had a taste for Partick and Queens Park.  

As I got older went to games with my pals, and when at Boroughmuir skipped school a couple of time s for Wednesday afternoon games, another skipper was a good school friend Willie Duff. Looking at some of the old pictures Bobby Parker, Tam Mackenzie, had a shop when he retired at the Duddingston train station, I knew him when I was in the polis, good defenceman, no such a nice shopkeeper. A wee bit older 1954 on the Suez Canal Zone, listened to Armed Forces Radio as Hearts won their league cup. Later that year December was in Caley Station met my old bud Willie Duff, told him how lucky he was playing for Hearts, he was still an apprentice and hadn't done his NS yet, he saw my two stripes, and said I was the lucky one, I was well on the way into my service, knew where I was going and he had no idea if he was going to be staying with Hearts or somewhere else, as it turned out thats how it happened.

Into the Polis, saw my father and was with him for what I think was the happiest day of his life. 1956, got on a bus with the Braid Place Police, his main ambition seeing his son in the police, and even going in a bus with them to see Hearts win the Scottish Cup.  

Time as it does went on now had the service that when working games always got detailed to walking around the pitch, again the old man enjoyed getting off his seat and waving to his polis son, I guess playing for Hearts would have been the only thing better. If not working was at the games so didn't miss many home games, got the old man into travelling to games ent with a bus with some guys from the Fair Exchange pub, The old man enjoyed that also. Had got to an age where I knew some of the players form my younger days and others from  just contact for one thing or another, Remember waiting outside Tynecastle for duty, and Freddy Glidden and Jimmy Milne passed, after a few words Glidden nodded at me and asked Milne how would you like to have to face a centre that size every game.  

I have loved Hearts now in absentia for about seventy six years, have my souvenirs and memories, its like another level of family, like families the present got older, and now the present is so young that the generational gap is as wide as the distance between Edinburgh and Kelowna, but the love is just as deep.

'

Bob, some of your reminisces are priceless, and that's another one.

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

This one was 1989/90 ....

millerjames398
4 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Superb top, my 1st full away kit as well, with number 7 on the the back 😍🤣

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

Great image. I remember  watching most of the gazza likes a hankie game from the 1st roof of that pie stand

That was a brilliant game, think fozzy scored a good goal that night as well🇱🇻

5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

'

Yet another great post, just love reading heart felt post like this.

John Findlay

What a great post from Bob Sharp.

My absentia was 1979-2005(lived in Portsmouth). I made the odd game when on leave before I got married or when my ship was in Rosyth, Faslane, Aberdeen or Dundee.

1985 travelled down on the train for Derby game against Hibs. Hearts won 2-1. Was with my dad, we had a pint pre- match in the Green tree. It was the first time I had seen Hearts beat Hibs in the flesh at Tynecastle since September 8th 1973. Twelve bloody years!.

April 5th 1986. Cup semi final against Dundee United and the John Colquhoun cracker to win it. I wasnt there, as I was with my then wife at St Mary's maternity hospital in Portsmouth as she was giving birth to our daughter Rebecca.

What a day. Becoming a dad for the first time and Hearts reaching the Scottish cup final.

November 89. Ship is in Aberdeen and again I get the train down as Hearts are at home to Dundee. The only top flight game getting played that Saturday as I believe Scotland were playing.

Hearts 6 Dundee 3. Great journey back to Aberdeen on the train after that one.

Listening to the UEFA Cup quarter final both legs on the BBC world service whilst out on Armilla patrol in the Persian Gulf. Going absolute tonto in the MCO(Main Communications Office) when Ian Ferguson scored his howitzer free kick at Tynecastle to beat the German giants Bayern Munich.

Totally crestfallen in the same place two weeks later as Bayern scraped through by the skin of the teeth or the width of the woodwork.

My dad sending out the video of both legs to me, and despite knowing the outcome, me watching it proud as punch, as Heart of Midlothian were the last British team in Europe that season.

I wouldnt swop these memories for anything.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Jimmy Bone scores the 3rd in a 3-2 win over Hibs in September 1983.  An 18 year Robbo also scored the first of his 27 goals against Hibs in this game.

bone.jpg

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

TyphoonJambo
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

What a great post from Bob Sharp.

My absentia was 1979-2005(lived in Portsmouth). I made the odd game when on leave before I got married or when my ship was in Rosyth, Faslane, Aberdeen or Dundee.

1985 travelled down on the train for Derby game against Hibs. Hearts won 2-1. Was with my dad, we had a pint pre- match in the Green tree. It was the first time I had seen Hearts beat Hibs in the flesh at Tynecastle since September 8th 1973. Twelve bloody years!.

April 5th 1986. Cup semi final against Dundee United and the John Colquhoun cracker to win it. I wasnt there, as I was with my then wife at St Mary's maternity hospital in Portsmouth as she was giving birth to our daughter Rebecca.

What a day. Becoming a dad for the first time and Hearts reaching the Scottish cup final.

November 89. Ship is in Aberdeen and again I get the train down as Hearts are at home to Dundee. The only top flight game getting played that Saturday as I believe Scotland were playing.

Hearts 6 Dundee 3. Great journey back to Aberdeen on the train after that one.

Listening to the UEFA Cup quarter final both legs on the BBC world service whilst out on Armilla patrol in the Persian Gulf. Going absolute tonto in the MCO(Main Communications Office) when Ian Ferguson scored his howitzer free kick at Tynecastle to beat the German giants Bayern Munich.

Totally crestfallen in the same place two weeks later as Bayern scraped through by the skin of the teeth or the width of the woodwork.

My dad sending out the video of both legs to me, and despite knowing the outcome, me watching it proud as punch, as Heart of Midlothian were the last British team in Europe that season.

I wouldnt swop these memories for anything.

The game in munich i was recovering a harrier that had had a birdstrike on some remote German army base. I was going mental whilst the locals in the barjust stared. I think we suprised a lot of people 

36 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Jimmy Bone scores the 3rd in a 3-2 win over Hibs in September 1983.  An 18 year Robbo also scored the first of his 27 goals against Hibs in this game.

bone.jpg

The start of a great period after the yo-yo years.

Just had a look at Jimmy Bone's career stats. He had a strange career, after winning 2 caps in 1972, and spending a season at Celtic he was at Arbroath for 3 years in his prime.

It's a testament to Alex MacDonald that he got so much out of him in the twilight of his career.

Screenshot_20201007-095529~2.png