• Angel eyes

• dannymack

• Maroon Sailor

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

20201005_202520.jpg

A look into the future.......3 of the finest attackers ever in maroon. Their training top numbers add up to Robbo’s goal tally versus Hibs.  

😁

Edited by Debut 4

What a brilliant thread. Even with the not so good Hearts teams its been an honour to support the Jambos and all those fantastic photos have brought home how much I've missed my trips to Tynecastle

Thanks everyone

8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Their training top numbers add up to Robbo’s goal tally versus Hibs.  

😁

Well spotted, D.  👍

3 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Looking at Zico straight through Gary's ears

😊 

Harsh, but funny, FV.

3 hours ago, otterjohn said:

What a brilliant thread. Even with the not so good Hearts teams its been an honour to support the Jambos and all those fantastic photos have brought home how much I've missed my trips to Tynecastle

Thanks everyone

Great post, bud.

millerjames398
4 hours ago, martoon said:

35 years I've wondered what JC was looking at? 

He's been more than accommodating, to any of us, who ask him all sorts of questions on Twitter..if you have Twitter 🤷🏼‍♂️🇱🇻

millerjames398
3 hours ago, George Cowie said:

Two photos from a camera that was until a couple of years ago dumped in my attic - undeveloped !

I'd forgotten what was on it - it was that fateful day - :(

08CBBA49-A038-4699-8D02-804B9E6BA9A7.jpeg

6CF61B03-1005-4972-99D3-9D3F3CB68110.jpeg

Nice pair of diadoras, on the sprinter in the white sweater👍🏼 the big fella with a copper hangin off him, in the denim plimsoles..not so much😖😆

willie wallace

I can remember watching this team but not the keeper.

Any ideas

Dunno what happened with the photo😯

Edited by willie wallace
Add text

SectionDJambo
6 hours ago, martoon said:

V. Hamburg?

More likely Leipzig. We got humped 4-1 at home by Hamburg. Drew Busby didn't score against Hamburg, but I'm fairly sure he did against Leipzig.

6 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

More likely Leipzig. We got humped 4-1 at home by Hamburg. Drew Busby didn't score against Hamburg, but I'm fairly sure he did against Leipzig.

It was Willie Gibson who scored again Hamburg

John Findlay
44 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Busby scored a header against Leipzeig at the school end, I think it's that goal in the picture above. Drew was a very fine headerer of the ball. I remember him scoring a cracking diving header against Killie at the Gorgie Road end too.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Busby scored a header against Leipzeig at the school end, I think it's that goal in the picture above. Drew was a very fine headerer of the ball. I remember him scoring a cracking diving header against Killie at the Gorgie Road end too.

The midweek cup tie? We won 2-0 in front of a big crowd. The game that Willie Bauld finally returned to Tynecastle for.

24 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The midweek cup tie? We won 2-0 in front of a big crowd. The game that Willie Bauld finally returned to Tynecastle for.

Against kilmarnock

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

No. This was a league game and Drew's header was the equaliser in a 1-1 draw.

9 hours ago, brux said:

Still miss the shed.

20201006_014825.jpg

The excitement as a kid going through the McLeod street turnstiles seeing the shed packed and the tv cameras in the gantry was brilliant.  That pic brings it all back.  

15 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Ashamed to say I’m struggling with three of those players

Back row-  Sandy Clark, ?, Roddy McDonald, Brian Whittaker, CL, Neil Berry, Ian Jardine

Middle- Andy Watson, Jimmy Sandison, Henry, ?,?

Front- JC, Gary Mackay, Zico, Kenny Black, Robbo.

Top row is Malcolm Murray

Is the guy next to Henry not George Cowie?

Not sure of the last one. McNaughton?

When I was but a young lad I used to have a poster on my bedroom wall of the 1968 cup final squad. I’m pretty sure it was taken just before the final in black and white on ‘shiny’ paper and was likely produced by the Evening News.  Anyone remember this or has a copy they could post up? I remember It also included the Lord Provost ( Herbert Brechin ) as I was quite fascinated by his name. You didn’t get many Herberts in Bonnyrigg, at that time.

4 hours ago, willie wallace said:

I can remember watching this team but not the keeper.

Any ideas

Dunno what happened with the photo😯

Brian mcginley?

55 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

The excitement as a kid going through the McLeod street turnstiles seeing the shed packed and the tv cameras in the gantry was brilliant.  That pic brings it all back.  

I had forgotten going into the shed and checking if the TV cameras were there. Even back then when only 2 games each weekend were covered the TV companies couldn't see past the uglies so usually they were deserted.

1 minute ago, jimbojambo said:

I had forgotten going into the shed and checking if the TV cameras were there. Even back then when only 2 games each weekend were covered the TV companies couldn't see past the uglies so usually they were deserted.

Also when playing against the ugliest and nearly all of the press photographers changed ends to go behind the hearts goal line.  'You're at the wrong effen end..'

3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

👍

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Also when playing against the ugliest and nearly all of the press photographers changed ends to go behind the hearts goal line.  'You're at the wrong effen end..'

It wasn't just the photographer's changing ends as the fans did too so could get tasty as we passed one another half way round. And looking for someone with a programme to check the half time scores and laughing when they would put up a number then take it down again as it was wrong. All this while being serenaded by Jimmy Shand playing the Bluebell Polka. As someone said it was a different world back then and one that I am glad that I inhabited 😀

It’s kind of a myth that Rangers and Celtic were on all the time, certainly on more than most,  definitely not all the time, certainly nothing like as much as they are on now

I can clearly recall seeing the likes of Ayr v Motherwell , St.Mirren v Falkirk , Hearts v Ayr was highlighted on a few occasions.

It was definitely spread around far more than it is now, the TV companies are only interested in viewing figures now, nothing else matters, what I’m saying is it wasn’t always as obvious as it is now, despite what people will have you believe.

Edited by jbee647

10 hours ago, brux said:

Still miss the shed.

20201006_014825.jpg

Brilliant photo. Gotta be honest, going to the game has never been the same for me since the terracing went, I am just so grateful that I was around in times like this photo.

10 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

It wasn't just the photographer's changing ends as the fans did too so could get tasty as we passed one another half way round. And looking for someone with a programme to check the half time scores and laughing when they would put up a number then take it down again as it was wrong. All this while being serenaded by Jimmy Shand playing the Bluebell Polka. As someone said it was a different world back then and one that I am glad that I inhabited 😀

I can't remember changing ends, but I remember paying in at McLeod street in my first derby and being surprised to see it was hibs fans behind the goals and having to walk past them all.  It was that 1-1 game when I think it was McLeod who got a 98th minute equaliser... 

I missed the frankie says o'connor derby and never saw us best them until the 3-2 robbos first goals against them.  I even remember in 79 walking up London road two weeks in a row after getting best 2-1 both times.  One a Scottish cup quarter final.  

12 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

It’s kind of a myth that Rangers and Celtic were on all the time, certainly on more than most,  definitely not all the time, certainly nothing like as much as they are on now

I can clearly recall seeing the likes of Ayr v Motherwell , St.Mirren v Falkirk , Hearts v Ayr was highlighted on a few occasions.

It was definitely spread around far more than it is now, the TV companies are only interested in viewing figures now, nothing else matters, what I’m saying is it wasn’t always as obvious as it is now, despite what people will have you believe.

I also remember them being there for quite a few games not against the old firm.  The ugliest weren't dominating the game at that time. 

6 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I also remember them being there for quite a few games not against the old firm.  The ugliest weren't dominating the game at that time. 

You are correct, I was making more reference to the 1970’s, during the early 80s Aberdeen and Dundee United were highlighted far more than anyone else, whether it in League or European games, obviously due to the success they achieved at that period in time.

11 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

You are correct, I was making more reference to the 1970’s, during the early 80s Aberdeen and Dundee United were highlighted far more than anyone else, whether it in League or European games, obviously due to the success they achieved at that period in time.

A wee bit off topic.  I know people say that we went to a ten team league in 75ish due to too many meaningless games, but was the fact that Celtic were winning there nine in a row also a factor? 

Sorry for going off topic here. 

Edited by Auldbenches

SectionDJambo
38 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Ah, the Bluebell Polka.

Nostalgia 

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

And the Edinburgh City Brass/Silver band playing before the game. The players running onto the park at two minutes to three for the kick off. No warm up in those days. 

3 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

I agree. I can still remember walking up the stairs at the old family enclosure in 86 to be greeted with the pitch and the shed. The Capital Decorators sign always stuck in my head as a kid. The visual aspect was magnificent but I always remember the smell of the breweries and distillery and knew I was near Tynie when I was little when I got that smell.