Only 3 subs

Clerry Jambo

What a joke 

Scottish Championship clubs have rejected the five substitutes rule for this season. They will stick to three. Prem, League 1 & League 2 teams agree to allow up to five subs. Betfred & Challenge Cup also five subs allowed. All play-off ties only three subs.
Edited by Clerry Jambo

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• David Black

• Beni

• five wan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rules should be consistent across all the spfl leagues, and not specific to just one league, there should have been a vote by all 42 clubs and not just by each league.

why are there now different rules for different leagues and different competitions?

You can’t make this up!

corrupt to the core

Edited by five wan
Clarification

jamboinglasgow

Another petty decision made to stop Hearts from getting an unintended advantage. 

I just expected it to be one rule for the whole of SPFL not each league deciding what they want.

What’s the point in having the SFA and SPFL? Just a fragmented mess of self interest with no leadership. This pandemic has highlighted it more than ever before. 

As long as the suits get their salaries who gives a ****. 

We're the only league to have it right IMO. 5 subs is a joke. But to have it different across different competitions is nonsensical 

Edited by Poseidon

18Jambo_dave74

Absolute tinpot. 

What next? When you play Hearts you can play 'any man in' or how about making Hearts players play with blindfolds? 

Absolutely no problem with Celtic and Rangers having every sporting advantage possible, but Hearts? Nah, we can't be having that. 

Leagues 1 and 2 have voted to introduce the 5 subs rule, so the Championship is the only division in the SPFL where the maximum of 3 is in place.

Clearly done to stop us getting an advantage, but I don't think we'll need it.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think it works in our favour tbh, less chance for diddies to bring on fresh legs while we are making them work. 

Fresh legs are not much use when it’s a plumber you’re bringing on, it would be an advantage to Hearts as our fresh legs will be professional players. It’s a farce but if you allow clubs votes on this stuff, farce is what you get. 

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Leagues 1 and 2 have voted to introduce the 5 subs rule, so the Championship is the only division in the SPFL where the maximum of 3 is in place.

Clearly done to stop us getting an advantage, but I don't think we'll need it.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Fresh legs are not much use when it’s a plumber you’re bringing on, it would be an advantage to Hearts as our fresh legs will be professional players. It’s a farce but if you allow clubs votes on this stuff, farce is what you get. 

Overall its an advantage to Hearts. I think we'll be fine. 

Who needs subs anyway. 

Edited by Mikey1874

jamboinglasgow

According to the Sun it may not be vindictiveness against us but incompetence in the Championship. They said only 3 clubs in the Championship gave a response by the end of the 28 day deadline, as they require 8 teams to vote on it for the rule change to go through, the motion failed.

Just incrediable. 

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Mind it's also a plumber who is  starting the game against ft professionals, we will be attacking more often than not so it works in our favour. 

I'm sure the amount of subs was something rugby were looking at reducing to stop teams replacing tired defenders with fresh legs. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

Neil Dongcaster

From the prospective of bringing through youth this is a shame. Would have been nice for the young lads to have potential had more minutes.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

According to the Sun it may not be vindictiveness against us but incompetence in the Championship. They said only 3 clubs in the Championship gave a response by the end of the 28 day deadline, as they require 8 teams to vote on it for the rule change to go through, the motion failed.

Just incrediable. 

Aye, seems that way to me. 3 subs is fine by me anyway.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Just incrediable. 

Ah.

The old I forgot to vote, which is a no, but I don't get called out for it muse.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just incrediable. 

points deduction for all clubs that failed to respond seems fair imo

jamboinglasgow

reading the SPFL release it gets weirder. Only 3 Championship clubs voted for the change in Championship but 4 voted for change of rule in the play off.

Acutally its not clear from the SPFL release if that only 3 clubs responded or just 3 responded postively to the motion.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

points deduction for all clubs that failed to respond seems fair imo

We can remind them when they have problems in games. Or injuries. 

1 minute ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

From the prospective of bringing through youth this is a shame. Would have been nice for the young lads to have potential had more minutes.

And with our injury record it would have been good to ease the likes of Haring back in with the safety net of extra subs if required. 

The more I think of this the more I think it actually suits us,.

to have midfielders, wingers strikers running at part time players who are not as fit as us in the last 20-30 mins of a game they will end up just throwing out a leg to stop one of our players, yellow/red cards and penalties should be there. If they are allowed 5 subs a defender gets a yellow they can just sub him off, they haven’t thought this through.

plays into our hands

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just incrediable. 

I think the Sun are just getting mixed up. The SPFL press release only tells us the number of "returns approving the change". 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-use-of-five-subs

In the table they've called it "Number of returns actually received in favour, within the 28-day period ". They're reporting it this way rather than votes "for" and "against" for obvious reasons.

Spoiler

Heart of Darkness

Will not make any difference to how Hearts will trounce the teams we will play but it does look a bit iffy & pretty transparent that they are trying to hinder our demolition of the league!!

Always Hearts!! ♥️

Yet another example of the utter stupidity of those running most of our clubs and the SFA/SPFL in general. The sooner a lot of these clubs go to the wall the better and our game may, just may progress. This is where that cretin Doncaster's lack of leadership is shown up whereby the same rules should apply throughout all leagues. He should be imposing that. 

6 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

This is something that I have been going on about for a few years, would like to see the number of subs increased to 5 but you have to start with let’s say 2 under 21 players and must have 2 under 21 players on at all times, then half way through a game you will not be able to take off a young player and replace him with an experienced player.

fans will find it harder to criticise the young players or manager as their hands will be tied with having to always play young players

Just now, David Black said:

Yet another example of the utter stupidity of those running most of our clubs and the SFA/SPFL in general. The sooner a lot of these clubs go to the wall the better and our game may, just may progress. This is where that cretin Doncaster's lack of leadership is shown up whereby the same rules should apply throughout all leagues. He should be imposing that. 

Exactly! Why did this even make it to a vote?!

Also, why didn't the 7 missing votes get a courtesy call from dungaster prior to the deadline?  🙄 What a joke Scottish football really is!

Dagger Is Back
14 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just incrediable. 

You mean there were no phone calls to chase missing votes?

Glamorgan Jambo

Utterly farcical as per usual. Interesting that a least one championship club actively wants 5 subs for play off games but only 3 subs for league games.

Its mostly going to affect our youngsters who are knocking on the door of the 1st team. Cruising 3-0 with half an hour to go would be an ideal time to introduce a youngster who has shown up well in training or reserve matches. It will most likely result in a few more players going on loan to get the competitive minutes they need to kick on.

Personally, I think it should only be 3 subs. Clearly 5 subs gives yet another advantage to bigger clubs, in particular rangers and celtic. Most championship clubs will be running with very small squads this year so they'd get little benefit of the extra two subs and clearly ourselves and Dundee would, hardly surprising they voted against it. Not a great look for the spfl to have such inconsistency though.

Ach...when I started going Tynie in the early 80s, clubs only had two subs anyway. Then they made it three to include a goalie. It went to five and then seven. It can be an advantage, an example would maybe be if a club is holding out for a 1-1 draw against us they can't waste time making substitutions. The disadvantage though is for players like Haring. Hearts will need fully fit subs so reducing the chance of Haring getting say the last fifteen/twenty minutes to build his fitness level up. Also, the last time Neilson was in charge he was well known for making changes in the last few minutes to waste time and hold on to what we had, it'll stop him doing that. It cost us a lot of points with the amount of goals we lost late in games. It just means that we'll have to put out the strongest team we can on the day, not bringing the likes of Naismith for example on with twenty to go and making sure he points are in the bag early.

I take it five are still allowed in Cup competitions?