Home Cooking

Greedy Jambo

Thread for the scran. 

I'm a bit lazy but Furlough has got me cooking again,

I'm not into the whole Vegan thing, but i must admit, i have created a lovely big pan of rice and veg, heavy on the mushrooms. Fry the onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and spinach, add a wee bit soy sauce , big splash of water out the kettle, rice and seasoning, cover the pan in tin foil and let simmir for about 15 minutes, add your choice of stir fry sauce (cheating here) turn it into rissoto 

All the Kickback gastronomes are currently adding their thoughts to the Baked Beans thread. Might need to wait for that debate to cool before you get many more recipe replies 🙂

12 minutes ago, RobboM said:

All the Kickback gastronomes are currently adding their thoughts to the Baked Beans thread. Might need to wait for that debate to cool before you get many more recipe replies 🙂

Ha, Aye, it seems this thread is a bit of a dead dog. MOD DELETE. 

12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

How can you turn normal rice into risotto? 🤔 

Are you Little Nicky? 

It's a bit like putting a Z in the word Laser, It's pretty much the same but pricks will still moan about it. 

Being a new self prepared meals man I would love to see some simple recipes. I am a pretty simple mince and stew man just now, and having been banned from the kitchen for many years I am actually using the methods I watched my mother use when I was just a wee boy in South Oxford Street. Where all life was in the kitchen which was also the living room it was hard not to watch and see and remember some of the moves.I participated in the pie thread because pies have been a part of my staple diet again for years. So come on guys give it a go, give us your recipes for one or two people.

Wife's doing slimming world, I'm not but we gave this Pancake recipe a go and it really is very nice. Made them a few times now, even got a waffle maker as the batter is the same for both. 

Blitz the oats to a powder

Mix it up to a smooth consistency and leave for ten minutes, then you're good to go. 

For the sweetener we use candarel. 

Instead of cooking spray (I believe it ruins your pans...) we use wee drop of olive oil brushed around pan. 

Measurements, are for 1, gives, 2 decent sized Waffles or pancakes. 

Screenshot_20200928_235427_com.whatsapp.jpg

9 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Wife's doing slimming world, I'm not but we gave this Pancake recipe a go and it really is very nice. Made them a few times now, even got a waffle maker as the batter is the same for both. 

Blitz the oats to a powder

Mix it up to a smooth consistency and leave for ten minutes, then you're good to go. 

For the sweetener we use candarel. 

Instead of cooking spray (I believe it ruins your pans...) we use wee drop of olive oil brushed around pan. 

Measurements, are for 1, gives, 2 decent sized Waffles or pancakes. 

Screenshot_20200928_235427_com.whatsapp.jpg

That's how my partner does hers. She is with slimming world too.

11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Thread for the scran. 

I'm not into the whole Vegan thing, but i must admit, i have created a lovely big pan of rice and veg, heavy on the mushrooms. Fry the onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and spinach, add a wee bit soy sauce , big splash of water out the kettle, rice and seasoning, cover the pan in tin foil and let simmir for about 15 minutes, add your choice of stir fry sauce (cheating here) turn it into rissoto 

Sounds lovely.i love soya sauce.

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, RobboM said:

They’ll be in here with their “bung in some curry powder, it’s braw” etiquette shortly.

12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Thread for the scran. 

What's with the tin foil? Have you no got any lids for your pots? ::troll::

I make a fried rice concoction. Stir frying meat and veg, adding pre-cooked rice and heating it through with a good belt of soy and some Chinese Five Spice. Usually served with some Yeung's curry sauce.

45 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

What's with the tin foil? Have you no got any lids for your pots? ::troll::

I make a fried rice concoction. Stir frying meat and veg, adding pre-cooked rice and heating it through with a good belt of soy and some Chinese Five Spice. Usually served with some Yeung's curry sauce.

It's a large frying pan i use, no lid

You wouldn't want to completey Cover it anyway, unless you prefer soup. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

We've been using Simply Cook for the last couple of months. Pick your recipes and they send you the herbs / spices / stock you need, along with a recipe card and you just pick up the meat / veg / pasta / rice. We've had about 8 recipes so far (standard service is to send you 4 recipes per month) and all have been tasty. We went for the 4 person package and there is enough to freeze the leftovers for another night too. Lots of gluten free options too if needed.

Free trial here - https://simplycook.com/invite/3N9558?via=app - but remember to cancel unless you want to continue receiving. For the avoidance of doubt, I also receive a free box if you sign up.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye in the fancy container, lovely.

I bought it as they never had any normal dark soy one time.  What a difference it made to a stir fry.

Only ever buy that now.

4 hours ago, Bigyan said:

We've been using Simply Cook for the last couple of months. Pick your recipes and they send you the herbs / spices / stock you need, along with a recipe card and you just pick up the meat / veg / pasta / rice. We've had about 8 recipes so far (standard service is to send you 4 recipes per month) and all have been tasty. We went for the 4 person package and there is enough to freeze the leftovers for another night too. Lots of gluten free options too if needed.

Free trial here - https://simplycook.com/invite/3N9558?via=app - but remember to cancel unless you want to continue receiving. For the avoidance of doubt, I also receive a free box if you sign up.

Likewise. They are superb. Had one tonight chicken makhani, a favourite of mine along with the Japanese seared steak 🤤

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I bought it as they never had any normal dark soy one time.  What a difference it made to a stir fry.

Only ever buy that now.

Not tried that yet, but seen it get good reviews. 

Anything by Amoy is usually good, especially their rice noodles, they last for donkeys in the cupboard to. 

https://www.amoy.co.uk/products

9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Not tried that yet, but seen it get good reviews. 

Anything by Amoy is usually good, especially their rice noodles, they last for donkeys in the cupboard to. 

https://www.amoy.co.uk/products

Yeah.  I've always got at least 4 packs of their ready to wok noodles in the fridge.  Loads of stirfry sauces too.  Their tinned bamboo shoots are decent too.

A bit more effort than having a pot noodle, but they still only take about 5 mins to make.  

Add a big splash of Kikkomans and some sesame oil.  Bang!  dinner sorted.    You don't even need to add any meat.

9 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  I've always got at least 4 packs of their ready to wok noodles in the fridge.  Loads of stirfry sauces too.  Their tinned bamboo shoots are decent too.

A bit more effort than having a pot noodle, but they still only take about 5 mins to make.  

Add a big splash of Kikkomans and some sesame oil.  Bang!  dinner sorted.    You don't even need to add any meat.

Yeah, i've been doing the same, the quicker and easier the better, plus, the last 2 times i bought chicken i didn't enjoy it, so i've just been replacing it with mushrooms and don't miss it at all. 

Very simple homemade stuff I have fairly regular:

Carbonara - gently fry some cut up pancetta/smokey bacon in fry pan. Cook spaghetti in pan of boiling water.  Crack a few eggs in a bowl and mix with fork.  When spaghetti is cooked, lift it out direct into the frying pan (bit of the pasta water helps the sauce) and take pan of the heat. Chuck in the eggs, the heat of the pan will cook, but not scramble, them.  Grate on paremsan. (Garlic clove or puree can go with the pancetta if desired).

Stir fry - an easy one is just kale, cashew nuts with the noodles.  Season witb soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Meat or mushrooms could be added if desired. (Eggs can be chucked in at the end too)

Tbh you can't beat a steak, or a nice roast chicken, if you want something delicious and without much effort.  Worth learning how to do these things well.

My final culinary piece of wisdom is, learn a few good authentic pasta recipes. Amazing how good a flavour you get from just a few well cooked ingredients.

Great to read about what you guys get up to in the kitchen.    In a similar vein to the soy sauce tip above, my vote for the  "Unexpectedly Brilliant Ingredient of the Year"  award goes to Tesco Finest Beef Stock.      Lovely taste and versatile too - Mrs Striker made a lovely soup with it, and its ideal for slow cooking beef or mince in too.

Did any of you see a feature on the One Show about 3 years ago about how Sticky Toffee Pudding first made it  on to British restaurant and hotel menus ?      The guy who did the item was a chef and he tracked the origins down to the Sharrow Bay hotel on Windermere. The chef there wouldn't give him the recipe, but he worked it out for himself and published the recipe and method on the One Show website for a few weeks.    I gave it a go .... a fair bit of effort required .......but it was unbelievably superb.  So much so that  the only supermarket ready made one  which comes close is Sainsbury's Taste the Difference one. All others as rubbish.  Even some I've had in restaurants are disappointing compared to "mine".    :smugger:

If you're sick of bread, you can't beat a simple Omelette for brunch either (never up early enough for breakfast these days)

3-4 eggs whisked with salt and pepper, 

Fry onions and mushrooms

Pour eggs on top

Let the eggs set

Fold over

Cook on a low/medium heat for about 2 mins, flips over and do the same. 

Dare i say it, a skoosh of Ketchup on the side.

Bob's yer gran. 

26 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If you're sick of bread, you can't beat a simple Omelette for brunch either (never up early enough for breakfast these days)

Fry onions and mushrooms

Pour eggs on top

Let the eggs set

Fold over

Bob's yer gran. 

👍 ...... with some grated mature cheese laid on the egg as it's setting. 

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍 ...... with some grated mature cheese laid on the egg as it's setting. 

I've not tried doing it that way, but i've grated cheese into the whisked eggs before cooking and it was too rich for me, struggled to get it all down! 

38 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Fry onions and mushrooms

Pour eggs on top

Let the eggs set

Fold over

Bob's yer gran. 

Make it in a slightly smaller pan than normal, cook a bit more slowly and don’t fold it. Then finish it off under the grill and turn it onto a plate and you’ve got a nice Spanish tortilla. I’d also add some boiled and chopped potato to it for the full Spanish effect. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Make it in a slightly smaller pan than normal, cook a bit more slowly and don’t fold it. Then finish it off under the grill and turn it onto a plate and you’ve got a nice Spanish tortilla. I’d also add some boiled and chopped potato to it for the full Spanish effect. 

I can see me needing to invest in a new set of pans the way this thread is going, I've only got 2 frying pans and they're both massive. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

I can see me needing to invest in a new set of pans the way this thread is going, I've only got 2 frying pans and they're both massive. 

It’s worth it for a tortilla. The best thing is if you get it right you can save some in the fridge and cut it into wedges and eat cold later with a salad. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s worth it for a tortilla. The best thing is if you get it right you can save some in the fridge and cut it into wedges and eat cold later with a salad. 

Oaft, i like the sound of that, what sort of salad dressing are we talking about? Extra Virgin olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar?

Some marinated olives and sun dried tomatoes? I'm absolutely starving now haha. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Oaft, i like the sound of that, what sort of salad dressing are we talking about? Extra Virgin olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar?

I’d add some sweet chilli sauce and lemon juice to it as well. No mustard though, can’t stand the stuff. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’d add some sweet chilli sauce and lemon juice to it as well. No mustard though, can’t stand the stuff. 

Ah see, you've thrown me off now, not a big fan of sweet chilli sauce. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Carbonara - gently fry some cut up pancetta/smokey bacon in fry pan. Cook spaghetti in pan of boiling water.  Crack a few eggs in a bowl and mix with fork.  When spaghetti is cooked, lift it out direct into the frying pan (bit of the pasta water helps the sauce) and take pan of the heat. Chuck in the eggs, the heat of the pan will cook, but not scramble, them.  Grate on paremsan. 

Add a splash of white wine, half an onion and garlic to the bacon and this is a great and easy dish. The egg coats and fluffs the pasta and holds all the flavour in. Great shout. 

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Likewise. They are superb. Had one tonight chicken makhani, a favourite of mine along with the Japanese seared steak 🤤

One of the first we tried and loved it too!

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Cheers. Will give this a go for the freebie. A family friend recently forgot to cancel their recurring order and ended up giving us a whole box for free with a similar company. Didn't follow any of the recipes, but played around and cooked some decent food. Cheers.

Enjoy! The recipe cards and app are good as they give recommendations as to swapping meats or using different types of veg. 

scott herbertson

Pasta arrabiata is dead easy

tin of tomatoes

bag of penne pasta (use about 400g)

One large onion - chopped small

couple of cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped 

Basil - dried will do but  a pot of fresh better and also I use oregano

one (or two if you are me) red chilis or a teaspoon of chili flakes, to taste

gently fry the onions till soft and follow up with the garlic for  a a few more minutes 

in with the tin of chopped tomatoes and the chili  and gently simmer for 5 -10 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste and add the herbs

at the same time cooked the pasta as per the packet instructions

When cooked drain the pasta thoroughly and add it to  the tomato mixture,

serve and add parmesan or grated mature cheese to taste

Eat with crusty sourdough bread to mop up anything left on the plates so you don't have to wash them much!"

Every now and again, I make a large batch of pesto (I bought a cheap basil plant in april, already had 2 massive batches out of it).

It's amazing how a spoonful or 2 of pesto can transform any paste dish or pizza.

On 28/09/2020 at 22:09, Greedy Jambo said:

Thread for the scran. 

Turn it into risotto :notsure:

Right into Thai street food just now.

Make all my own pastes and freeze until cooking.

Can make Tom Yung soup with pork, chicken or prawns.

Red, yellow or green curries. 
Satay dishes.

Also Chinese dishes. 

All of your take away favourites.

We have a Mediterranean Tapas restaurant close by so I have now started copying their dishes.

Im now able to cook all the dishes we would order from them only cook them better at home. Saves a fortune!

Gambas Pil

Potatas Bravas

Beef Pepe

Fried Haloumi

Mediterranean grilled chicken in lime and lemon marmalade 

Meatballs in tomato sauce

Paella

Love cooking and for someone who did very little just over a year ago I’m pretty handy in the kitchen.

I am a bit of a foodie, I love cooking, the wife doesn't so I do most of the meals in my house. I did a bit of chefing in my younger days, in a North African and Mediterranean restaurant initially but love making Indian food, pastas, etc.

I can give you an easy recipe for carbonara, damn tasty but super simple.

highlandjambo3
16 minutes ago, Bozi said:

I am a bit of a foodie, I love cooking, the wife doesn't so I do most of the meals in my house. I did a bit of chefing in my younger days, in a North African and Mediterranean restaurant initially but love making Indian food, pastas, etc.

I can give you an easy recipe for carbonara, damn tasty but super simple.

I did a cooking course in Goa a few years ago......love doing injun curries and other food from scratch 

12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Fry onions and mushrooms

Pour eggs on top

Let the eggs set

Fold over

Bob's yer gran. 

Facebook memories popped up the other day to remind me it was this time last year we were in Florida so made an Ihop inspired omelette for dinner last night, similar to the above but with peppers, cheese and cooked chicken added to the filling with pulled brisket and salsa over the top!

Edited by Ribble

11 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Add a splash of white wine, half an onion and garlic to the bacon and this is a great and easy dish. The egg coats and fluffs the pasta and holds all the flavour in. Great shout. 

Haven't made it with onion or wine, but will do next time I have the gear in.

15 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Very simple homemade stuff I have fairly regular:

Carbonara - gently fry some cut up pancetta/smokey bacon in fry pan. Cook spaghetti in pan of boiling water.  Crack a few eggs in a bowl and mix with fork.  When spaghetti is cooked, lift it out direct into the frying pan (bit of the pasta water helps the sauce) and take pan of the heat. Chuck in the eggs, the heat of the pan will cook, but not scramble, them.  Grate on paremsan. (Garlic clove or puree can go with the pancetta if desired).

With Carbonara the real secret is in using egg yolks only and mixing it with the parmesan and some black pepper,you can add some cream to make it more luxuriant and rich.

That's how I was taught it anyway 

@Bozi sounds nice.  Will give that recipe a bash as well.

Another simple spaghetti dish.  Very gntly fry some fennel (sliced up like an onion), add some lemon zest after 6/7 mins. Once spaghetti is cooked, take fennel pan off the heat and put in creme fraiche to make the sauce, lemon juice if you like. Grate parmesan, black pepper. Eat

3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I use simply cook too. The wild mushroom penne is superb as is the bokkeumbap. Cuban prawn pasta, chicken tinga, king prawn jalfrezi, spanish cod and chorizo hash, tamil black pepper chicken, Sicilian roast chicken all really good. 

There's no way I'd buy the herbs and spices required to make all of these from scratch so this is ideal and means you can try a large variety of differing cuisines.  

I’m really impressed with them. I forgot to pick my meals a month or two ago and got two salmon dishes in my box, I’m not overly keen on salmon (or so I thought) they were great and would have again. Ancho glazed salmon was one of them. 

also had the Sicilian chicken and wild mushroom penne 👌

Edited by Irufushi