• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

I can see Hickey playing left midfield for Scotland in the near future. I liked his composure in the Poland game.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I can see Hickey playing left midfield for Scotland in the near future. I liked his composure in the Poland game.

I feel like his composure is taken for granted or played down. That and good technical ability, which he also has, is what you need at International level. See also Gilmour. For too long we've had a bunch of players with limited ability AND little composure or confidence at that level. The more players we have like Gilmour, Hickey, Tierney etc in the team the better, as those players will also play better with more of a similar level of player next to them. Ie, not the likes of Steven O'Donnell who is very limited both in terms of technical ability and composure. Someone like Tierney seems to stroll it no matter who's in the team with him, but players like McTominay and Robertson seem to be more like their club selves with better players around them at international level.

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I feel like his composure is taken for granted or played down. That and good technical ability, which he also has, is what you need at International level. See also Gilmour. For too long we've had a bunch of players with limited ability AND little composure or confidence at that level. The more players we have like Gilmour, Hickey, Tierney etc in the team the better, as those players will also play better with more of a similar level of player next to them. Ie, not the likes of Steven O'Donnell who is very limited both in terms of technical ability and composure. Someone like Tierney seems to stroll it no matter who's in the team with him, but players like McTominay and Robertson seem to be more like their club selves with better players around them at international level.

That's what made him stand out for me right from the start. He looked totally at ease on the ball no matter how much pressure he was put under - and I agree about Tierney and Gilmour. I had no doubt Tierney was the real deal when he first appeared in the Celtic first team.

I'm enjoying this. Commentator says about Hickey though "Very much a left-footed player." Aye, right.

Pasquale for King

You would think it was Bologna who were top of the league, Hickey has started well at RWB which can only add to his value. 
AC Milan in their FOURTH strip 🤦🏽

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

You would think it was Bologna who were top of the league, Hickey has started well at RWB which can only add to his value. 
AC Milan in their FOURTH strip 🤦🏽

Hickey good enough to start RWB against a team challenging for Series A but not good enough to start RWB for Scotland in friendlies against Poland and Austria though....

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm enjoying this. Commentator says about Hickey though "Very much a left-footed player." Aye, right.

Very left footed with 3 of his 4 goals coming from his right foot iirc :lol: 

That must be the third or fourth shot "without power" by Bologna. They could have easily been ahead if they had their shooting boots on.

6 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Milan strip is honking

Hope Aaron refuses to swap with Hernandez 

😁

Makes it look like their shorts are up past their bellies

Edited by kila

11 minutes ago, kila said:

Makes it look like their shorts are up past their bellies

A wonderful bird is the Acmilan. Its shorts can go higher than its belly can.

Hickey very much involved and trusted. 

Covered centre half when Milan broke and one very good header away and a couple of blocks. 

Certainly good enough. 

Perth to Paisley

Trusted is exactly the word.

Facing up to Hernandez and Leao at San Siro is quite an ask.

..but he has acquitted himself very well.

From a calcio/scudetto perspective I hope Milan win though

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Covered centre half when Milan broke and one very good header away and a couple of blocks. 

Certainly good enough. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Cracking game this. Hickey strolling it. He's no Steven O'Donnell though obviously.... Aaron needs to kick Jack Grealish in a game against England and become a meme before he can be considered on the right for Scotland.

Guest ToqueJambo

Watching how confident Hickey is with both feet and his general play you have to think Levein is right to think that he could also play centre/holding mid eventually.

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Subbed off 70 minutes. Picked up knock and misses out on coming up against Ibrahimovic. 

Shame. Had a decent game though.

Out of interest, what's the chat about the ref? The commentators keep referring to some previous controversy.

Edited by redjambo

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Certainly good enough. 

He had a poor second half for me, after being decent in first 

Perth to Paisley
1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

He had a poor second half for me, after being decent in first 

He took a knock and looked less mobile . Race was run .. i noticed he was holding his shoulder again - think it was one he had the operation on last season 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

They all are very confident in position. Scotland hasn't had  that since McAllister and co in the 90s. And this time they are a young team with a lot of time to make an impact. Happy days. Hopefully .

11 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Trusted is exactly the word.

Facing up to Hernandez and Leao at San Siro is quite an ask.

..but he has acquitted himself very well.

From a calcio/scudetto perspective I hope Milan win though

Napoli’s scudetto to lose now IMO.

Milan don’t have that killer instinct.

Couldn’t have met Bologna at a worse time with all the emotion about Sinisa.

The Bologna players played their hearts out. Quite rightly. Bigger things more important for them right now.

Thoughts with him at this time !

Looks like Tierney could be out for a while, could be the access into the  national team just in time to attract a big bid this summer.

Though in saying that i seriously doubt any good, settled  players will be making moves this summer. With the world cup in winter it's too big a risk for Hickey to go to a new team, maybe fail to settle and risk a world cup place 

Perth to Paisley
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Napoli’s scudetto to lose now IMO.

Milan don’t have that killer instinct.

Couldn’t have met Bologna at a worse time with all the emotion about Sinisa.

The Bologna players played their hearts out. Quite rightly. Bigger things more important for them right now.

Thoughts with him at this time !

Would love it to be Napoli but think the 'done it before' factor will tilt in Inters favour.

100% agree about your Bologna/Sinisa comments.

Perth to Paisley
13 hours ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, what's the chat about the ref? The commentators keep referring to some previous controversy.

Think it was because he was relatively inexperienced- they tried to put pressure on him but he did well.

Really enjoyed Serie A this year, much more entertaining now that Juve have lost their stranglehold. Should be some end to the season with Milan, Inter & Napoli all duking it out, hopefully goes right to the wire!

1 hour ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Think it was because he was relatively inexperienced- they tried to put pressure on him but he did well.

Cheers. :thumb:

Malinga the Swinga

Maybe Ukraine will delay the match till Scotland has best players fit and able to play.

After all, they would have been fit for game it has been played on due date.

Still playing RWB it's Hickey's cross that unlocks Sampdoria defence leading to the goal
Bologna 1-0 Sampdoria (live BT Sport 1)

Edited by RobboM

That was a very good match to watch.   Two central defenders sent off.   They had a back three so had one left.   Hickey got a key tackle or two at the end.  Playing right back, wingback still.   Development getting better playing on right and could make Scotland first team if he sticks at it.   

Perth to Paisley

Bologna are quite dull to watch but recently their games have been good. 

In Corriella, Hickey had the best (equal) 'pagelle' of any player who played the full 90 minutes.

Developing nicely.

Factuer Moi

I watched highlights early this morning, Hickey done a good job as a type of right back. Have seen him in other games further up field. He has the engine to go into a Center Mid slot. Way to good to be playing a back role. He looks comfortable, very tactical astute player. 

Edited by Factuer Moi

Hopefully in the summer we see a wee bidding war erupt. Laddie has so much talent and could hold his own for an EPL side no bother. Newcastle with their project and money could be a great move. Would be kinda cool to see a Scottish player playing for Milan too though :D 

According to the BBC today, Hickey has been linked with an £18m move to… Brentford.

OK, we’d still get our slice of the fee. But… Brentford? Really?

CloustonHMFC
1 minute ago, Doc Rob said:

According to the BBC today, Hickey has been linked with an £18m move to… Brentford.

What is our slice of the fee? 10? 15? 20?

Edited by CloustonHMFC

johnking123
Just now, Doc Rob said:

They can bid. Does not mean he is going! Can see him going for £25 million.

3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

They can bid. Does not mean he is going! Can see him going for £25 million.

You'd think the first team to bid may set off a wee bidding war.

If we got a wee £3m or so from Hickey this summer, on top of the other incomings... we could almost afford to bid for him ourselves!!!!  Erm.

Was there not some poster on here earlier in the thread saying it was definitely a flat rate sell on and not a percentage of future transfers 

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You'd think the first team to bid may set off a wee bidding war.

If we got a wee £3m or so from Hickey this summer, on top of the other incomings... we could almost afford to bid for him ourselves!!!!  Erm.

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Was there not some poster on here earlier in the thread saying it was definitely a flat rate sell on and not a percentage of future transfers 

It's the most talked about topic on JKB.  And perhaps the most tedious imo anyway!

I avoid it.  I hope it's 15% but how anyone would know unless the agent, Aaron or one of the clubs told them I duno!

johnking123

Was told it was a percentage. But we don't want it to get out how much we get. Amazing how the price of a player jumps up if they think you have money! 

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****