**** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****

Perth to Paisley

7 hours ago, ecky92 said:

Aye cause he’s left back, and he’s not better than tierney or Robertson, yet. 

If you honestly think an 18/19 year old laddie who has excelled since day dot, described by management at Hearts as not knowing his strongest side/foot & now performing at the highest level week in week out, is to only be considered in one position only, then you haven't watched much football over the years....the boy can potentially play anywhere at the back or even midfield, Phillip Lahm stylie (positional, not standard.....yet 😉

Bizarre thoughts from you tbh 🤪🧐

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

6 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

Pretty much agree with most of this, unless there is a couple of injuries to Robertson/Tierney then he just isn't going to get a game, however he will eventually get in the squad. Right now there is no rush for it to happen.

Yup.

6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Clarke is no mug.  Keep going like this and he'll be in the WC qualifiers.   Out wide on either side.  Full back or midfield.

Because of his versatility, he may grow into a bigger star than Robertson or Tierney.

And he took the piss out of Celtic un a Cup Final when he was 16.

Levein deserves credit for that at least.

It will get to a point in 3-4 years where Robertson and Tierney are at their peak, Patterson is playing in the EPL, Calvin Ramsey is 2nd choice RB and Hickey is playing for AC Milan or something. He will be too good to ignore but there's still nae danger he's getting ahead of AR or KT, so I do imagine he will end up at LCM for Scotland, which allows us to play all 3 of them.

10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Well done Aaron cracking goal 

His goal last night was a peach. This probably added an extra mill to his sell on value. He's the highest scoring Scot ever in Serie A. 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

If it's an EPL club it'll be a decent amount. It does sound like a Hibs valuation though. The OF can get these fees though which is the annoying thing.

Villa very keen to sign him. 

8 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not sure on this but I believe we receive a % of his transfer from any future fee he goes for, even after he leaves Bologna?

I heard its was a fixed 6 figure fee. Unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not sure on this but I believe we receive a % of his transfer from any future fee he goes for, even after he leaves Bologna?

We'll receive a percentage of anything Bologna get, Celtic will get a percentage of anything we get.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We'll receive a percentage of anything Bologna get, Celtic will get a percentage of anything we get.

Celtic already got their sell on fee when we sold to Bologna. It's not perpetual surely? 

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not sure this is correct.

Ann was asked about this recently and she confirmed it’s a six figure fee (we have to therefore assume it’s fixed and not a %) and that Celtic are not due any monies.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Ann was asked about this recently and she confirmed it’s a six figure fee (we have to therefore assume it’s fixed and not a %) and that Celtic are not due any monies.

That’s looking like a shite piece of business then if true!  Ffs are we never going to get a decent fee for any of our players?!

23 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

Celtic already got their sell on fee when we sold to Bologna. It's not perpetual surely? 

As I understand it Celtic will get 30% of anything we get in relation to Hickey's transfer, whether that's the initial fee or future add ons. We'll get a percentage of anything Bologna get in relation to Hickey's transfer in the same way.

19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Celtic had a 30% sell on clause, Levein confirmed it when he left IIRC

On 30/11/2021 at 10:15, TurboT said:

Apologies for the delay - here are the last 5 questions.

1.       How are the woman’s team doing?

AM - We brought in a new manager from Spain and she and all the players are working extremely hard and we’re now starting to see the benefits and have won the last couple of games and have improved in the league table.

2.       There’s been a few issues getting into Tynecastle lately and what can we do to improve the matchday experience?

AM - We’re looking at digital ticketing with this becoming the norm long term. With regards to Covid passports we implemented the guidelines that were set and were left to get on with it, at the last game we checked 5000 passports.

The queues at the Wheatfield were due to a miscommunication for one game where you couldn’t enter the Wheatfield via the Gorgie stand and this shouldn’t be an issue going forward.  The game against Dundee United was the biggest crowd at a Hearts home game outwith the old firm and Hibs for 30 years.

3.       What do you think about certain clubs restricting their attendances?

AM - We’re talking about Aberdeen and I think it’s just sticking two fingers up to the Government, it’s not something we would ever do or could do as it would cost us money and annoy fans.

4.       What are the benefactors motivations for getting involved with Hearts?

AB - We’ve always had a number of benefactors and as we all now know James Anderson is the principle benefactor.  He got involved with Hearts as he believed in what we do in the community.  He gives back to the community and lots of other charities as well as Big Hearts and the club, he’s also given to the whole of Scottish Football.  We asked him to join the board but he didn’t have the time, now that he’s retired and has more time he’s now joined the board.  His motivation?  He’s a philanthropist and gives to lots of charities and thinks Big Hearts so an amazing job

5.       How much is Hickey’s sell on fee and do Celtic get a share?

AM - It’s a six figure sum and no Celtic don’t get anything

On 30/11/2021 at 10:41, Ari Gold said:

Very disappointing. Thought it would have been % based rather than an agreed fee. 

On 30/11/2021 at 10:47, Stendelnator said:

She’s maybe said that based on an assumption of what they would sell him for. 

On 30/11/2021 at 11:05, broxburnjambo said:

I said this weeks ago and very few believed it. 

12 hours ago, Boab said:

Stay where you are, Aaron. Do not even think of coming back here. 

In fact, get that citizenship form in now, you're good enough for the Azzurri, son !

👍

This, in spades.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Don’t know? Assume it was a typo.

There were some references to AM and some to AB.  Was that a shareholders meeting?  Confirmed my thoughts that Cormack keeping the crowds under 10k was a bit of pathetic political gesturing!

16 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

In case anyone wants to see it again

Who ever thought we'd see a lad go from Hearts to first pick and banging them in for a Serie A team?

How good will this make us look for youngsters?

10 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Feels like limited thinking if his club are willing  to push him into more advanced positions. Do you ignore finishing  like that on an apparent!y weaker foot? Our current incumbents in midfield would not even attempt s shot on their weaker foot: McGinn, MacGregor, Gilmour, McTominay.

Thing is it's not his weaker foot I don't think.  He's properly two-footed.  No difference either side.

10 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

The fact is Clarke had not even taken the opportunity to work with Hickey. If he did this then he could see how Hickey compares with O'Donnell or Patterson or anybody in the squad. If it's a case of trust with certain players and having worked with O'Donnell, it's not enough.

That's my point here - why not have the kid in the squad?  Why not take a close look at him?  I know he was in 21s and pulled out - but get him in the senior squad, look at him on both sides of the pitch.

End of the day, I want all our best players in the squad.  Hickey is easily a top 20 Scottish player.  You work it out.  I can 100% guarantee he's a better RWB than O'Donnell.  The big fella is honest and likeable and has done himself proud, but he's like a sore thumb tecnhically and our play constantly stops at him - you can see the difference Patterson makes to our attacking when he plays in comparison.  Hickey would be a good best of both worlds between those two - can defend AND attack.

We're so shite at fasttracking our elite players in this country.  The fact that Gilmour was thrown in against England how he was is actually disgraceful.  The kid handled it, but should have been in and around that squad for a long time previous to that (know he had injury but there were still opportunities for a lad who from the age of, what, 14, everyone knew was going to be a star).

I remember back to Stuart Armstrong.  When he was 21s captain, and at Dundee United, he was miles above his peers, best player on the pitch every time he played for the 21s.  How many caps did he have by age 24??  Can't be arsed looking but I htink it may have been zero!  He should have had caps aged 20, but then when we NEEDED him, he was thrown in.  We never prepare players - we ALWAYS throw them in at the point we actually require them!!!

Rant.  But I'm a TA kinda guy and this stuff drives me daft!!!!!!

14 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even if it is a myth, it's just great seeing a young Hearts player look like he could reach the top in terms of being potentially world-class. There are only two other Hearts players I've seen who played with us as teenagers who I consider world class level, ie would play for any International team - Craig Gordon and Craig Levein (who would have got to the very top). Alan MacLaren had that potential but never really showed it after leaving us.

To be fair he was great for Rangers and Scotland after he left us but was injured and had to retire when still relatively young at 27.

7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Thing is it's not his weaker foot I don't think.  He's properly two-footed.  No difference either side.

That's my point here - why not have the kid in the squad?  Why not take a close look at him?  I know he was in 21s and pulled out - but get him in the senior squad, look at him on both sides of the pitch.

End of the day, I want all our best players in the squad.  Hickey is easily a top 20 Scottish player.  You work it out.  I can 100% guarantee he's a better RWB than O'Donnell.  The big fella is honest and likeable and has done himself proud, but he's like a sore thumb tecnhically and our play constantly stops at him - you can see the difference Patterson makes to our attacking when he plays in comparison.  Hickey would be a good best of both worlds between those two - can defend AND attack.

We're so shite at fasttracking our elite players in this country.  The fact that Gilmour was thrown in against England how he was is actually disgraceful.  The kid handled it, but should have been in and around that squad for a long time previous to that (know he had injury but there were still opportunities for a lad who from the age of, what, 14, everyone knew was going to be a star).

I remember back to Stuart Armstrong.  When he was 21s captain, and at Dundee United, he was miles above his peers, best player on the pitch every time he played for the 21s.  How many caps did he have by age 24??  Can't be arsed looking but I htink it may have been zero!  He should have had caps aged 20, but then when we NEEDED him, he was thrown in.  We never prepare players - we ALWAYS throw them in at the point we actually require them!!!

It's a fair point, his ability's been obvious from day dot. It's mental that he's second top scorer in the Italian league and never seen a Scotland squad.

Just now, Smithee said:

It's a fair point, his ability's been obvious from day dot. It's mental that he's second top scorer in the Italian league and never seen a Scotland squad.

Especially with his two footedness as that would make him versatile. Can play left back, right back and iirc midfield. He is also scoring goals. Integrate him into the squad and watch him make one of the positions his own

Just now, milky_26 said:

Especially with his two footedness as that would make him versatile. Can play left back, right back and iirc midfield. He is also scoring goals. Integrate him into the squad and watch him make one of the positions his own

It's actually getting exciting being a Scotland supporter!

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Nowhere near second top scorer.

Not even in top 15.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Second top scorer ?

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Celtic had a 30% sell on clause, Levein confirmed it when he left IIRC

They got 30% when we sold him to Bologna. They get no further sell on % when Bologna sell him.

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

Exactly, you have a 22 man squad, you're telling me there's no space to have an elite 19 yearold in there, no matter his position??  As I say, same with Gilmour a year or two ago.  Why wasn't he in squads?  There are loads throughout the years, loads.

Never mind the other positiions Aaron can play, the glaring one is Taylor from Celtic.  Not a bad player, Taylor, but no way is he better than Hickey, who also can play a number of positions and you'd have to be mental not to think is going to go on to bigger things than Taylor will.  So why if you have a spare LB, not have Hickey in there.

Our last couple of games when Ralston had to come on at LB cos Robertson and Tierney both came off shows how much a versalite player can be useful too.

But my first paragraph is the real point.  It's about readying our eilite youngsters.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I misread something earlier then, my bad

Aye think it's 2nd top defender to score (and he's playing almost midfield/wing!) but still a great achievement.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Aye think it's 2nd top defender to score (and he's playing almost midfield/wing!) but still a great achievement.

Ah it's early, I can still taste toothpaste

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Only 4 Scottish players have ever scored in Serie A. Law Jordan Souness and Hickey. Hickey has 4 so far. All the others scored more but not that many more. He could potentially get past all of them, which is a hell of an achievement  

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Only 4 Scottish players have ever scored in Serie A. Law Jordan Souness and Hickey. Hickey has 4 so far. All the others scored more but not that many more. He could potentially get past all of them, which is a hell of an achievement  

Jordan only scored 3 in Serie A.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Is that right? Bloody hell!

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Exactly, you have a 22 man squad, you're telling me there's no space to have an elite 19 yearold in there, no matter his position??  As I say, same with Gilmour a year or two ago.  Why wasn't he in squads?  There are loads throughout the years, loads.

Never mind the other positiions Aaron can play, the glaring one is Taylor from Celtic.  Not a bad player, Taylor, but no way is he better than Hickey, who also can play a number of positions and you'd have to be mental not to think is going to go on to bigger things than Taylor will.  So why if you have a spare LB, not have Hickey in there.

Our last couple of games when Ralston had to come on at LB cos Robertson and Tierney both came off shows how much a versalite player can be useful too.

But my first paragraph is the real point.  It's about readying our eilite youngsters.

The reason Gilmour wasn’t in squads was understandable -  he wasn’t playing first team football.

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Jordan only scored 3 in Serie A.

True dat. I tend to forget that Milan were relegated when he was there 

Edited by JimmyCant

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Stunningly bad business if we put a fixed fee clause in if he was sold on.

Appreciate it takes two people to make an agreement though.

But I have never heard of fixed fee sell one - only % based ones. Yes fixed additional fees if they get to a certain number of appearances, win the league etc….

Anyway. No doubt we will find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed - I've always thought that we've been too dependent on "grizzly seasoned campaigners". What I'm looking forward to is Italy calling Hickey up for a first team squad and the cat thus being proverbially thrown among the pigeons. He deserves to be fought over, not treated as an afterthought like he currently is with Scotland.

17 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It's unfortunate that we have two of the best LB's in the world. He'll get his chance one day.

He has the ability to play more than one position and he didn't look as if he was anywhere near the left back position for that strike, an what a strike it was, timed and placed perfectly. 

I wonder what he's worth now? I'm guessing after a strike of that quality he'll be getting some very serious attention from clubs all round Europe.

Fozzyonthefence
29 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But I have never heard of fixed fee sell one - only % based ones. Yes fixed additional fees if they get to a certain number of appearances, win the league etc….

Yep, safe to say he is going to get sold for a lot more money than Calum Paterson.

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The reason Gilmour wasn’t in squads was understandable -  he wasn’t playing first team football.

Not sure how relevant that is.  He was getting a wee bit of game time in cups, and was on the bench every week at Chelsea.  I'm saying the lad was and is quite clearly the future of our midfield and in fact, whole team.  Fast track him and get him in the squad, let him get used to that environment and starting building bonds.

53 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Fixed fees stop foreign clubs playing silly games on transfer fees. Bologna could sell him to Milan for 10m and we get say 10% ie 1m.  On the other hand they could sell him to Milan for 1m plus a fee for 9m for marketing rights or some other nonsense. We would get 100k. Different rules in different countries re transfer fees and ways to avoid sell-ones, tax etc. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Fixed fees stop foreign clubs playing silly games on transfer fees. Bologna could sell him to Milan for 10m and we get say 10% ie 1m.  On the other hand they could sell him to Milan for 1m plus a fee for 9m for marketing rights or some other nonsense. We would get 100k. Different rules in different countries re transfer fees and ways to avoid sell-ones, tax etc. 

All valid points but I can't get my head round the risk the buying club is taking of the player turns out to be terrible or has a bad injury and ends up getting punted. In such a situation they would have no option other than to let the contract expire and release the player, even if another club wanted to buy him for less than the sell-on fee. 

6 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

All valid points but I can't get my head round the risk the buying club is taking of the player turns out to be terrible or has a bad injury and ends up getting punted. In such a situation they would have no option other than to let the contract expire and release the player, even if another club wanted to buy him for less than the sell-on fee. 

All transfers are a risk when you are paying out millions in fees and wages. 

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Agreed - I've always thought that we've been too dependent on "grizzly seasoned campaigners". What I'm looking forward to is Italy calling Hickey up for a first team squad and the cat thus being proverbially thrown among the pigeons. He deserves to be fought over, not treated as an afterthought like he currently is with Scotland.

I maybe should know, but how does Hickey qualify for Italy? Would he not need to stay for years to be eligible for them.

29 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

All transfers are a risk when you are paying out millions in fees and wages. 

Agreed, which makes it even more bewildering why the buying club would want to add an additional risk on top of the unavoidable ones that all transfers attract.

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****