Calum Paterson signs for SWFC ( updated )

Thomaso

Just now, DH1986 said:

We weren’t even entitled to any sell on percentage.....we had no room for negotiation.

He was our best most valuable player. Our shining light from what has been an almost fruitless academy.  Why were we not negotiating his contract a year before, meaning any team coming in did not get him for the price of a lucky bag and we could set the t's and c's. We should have given CP that juicy carrot he could not refuse. Instead we gave that carrot to duds like Oshinawa and Loic D'amour.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• i8hibsh

• Neil Dongcaster

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He was our best most valuable player. Our shining light from what has been an almost fruitless academy.  Why were we not negotiating his contract a year before, meaning any team coming in did not get him for the price of a lucky bag and we could set the t's and c's. We should have given CP that juicy carrot he could not refuse. Instead we gave that carrot to duds like Oshinawa and Loic D'amour.

We were negotiating.......he didn’t want to sign an extension.

Back to sleep.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

We weren’t even entitled to any sell on percentage.....we had no room for negotiation.

Calum wasn’t a free agent. We had no role in any negotiation 

incredible to hear that he has tried to get money to us in each of his moves since leaving us. 

Top work

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

We were negotiating.......he didn’t want to sign an extension.

Back to sleep.

As I said, the carrot we dangled was not juicy enough.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Calum wasn’t a free agent. We had no role in any negotiation 

incredible to hear that he has tried to get money to us in each of his moves since leaving us. 

Top work

Only hearsay, but West Ham were ready to come in with £1m+ only for him to get injured v. Killie.

And in true daft CP style, it was unfortunate but a little self inflicted.  (lunged into a tackle from behind, with his 'wrong' left leg and banged his left knee)

Edited by DETTY29

3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I know.

Imo, we should have pushed the boat out on CP. Regardless if he wanted to or not. We should have given him an offer he simply could not refuse. That to me would have been good business practice. Looking after your prized asset is prudent.  Not jizzing money away on Malaury Martin, Juwon and shite like that. We COULD have done it but we never. We would certainly have yielded more than 75k on our investment.

10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Imo, we should have pushed the boat out on CP. Regardless if he wanted to or not. We should have given him an offer he simply could not refuse. That to me would have been good business practice. Looking after your prized asset is prudent.  Not jizzing money away on Malaury Martin, Juwon and shite like that. We COULD have done it but we never. We would certainly have yielded more than 75k on our investment.

Have you forgotten the 5 year contracts we dished out to the jobby squad under Vlad!? 

Calum Paterson was injured when he left and was out for 8 months! I’m willing to bet that if we had given him a 7k p/w contract you would have been griping about given out long expensive contracts to injury prone players.

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Have you forgotten the 5 year contracts we dished out to the jobby squad under Vlad!? 

Calum Paterson was injured when he left and was out for 8 months! I’m willing to bet that if we had given him a 7k p/w contract you would have been griping about given out long expensive contracts to injury prone players.

Saved me posting the exact same thing.  Wasting your time with that one though. We are winning games so it needs something to be negative about.

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Given Paterson's injury history with us, maybe giveing a massive deal on huge money to someone who had spent the best part of the season in the treatment room was deemed to be a risk?

Edited by Bunny Munro

Broxburn Jambo
12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

yes it would have been great to keep CP but what you are saying would have destroyed any wage structure, what do you think we should have offered him to make him stay?

25K per week? I don't think even that would have stopped him wanting to play at a higher level.

And then how do you balance the rest of the squad? pay them basic wage? 

3 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

yes it would have been great to keep CP but what you are saying would have destroyed any wage structure, what do you think we should have offered him to make him stay?

25K per week? I don't think even that would have stopped him wanting to play at a higher level.

And then how do you balance the rest of the squad? pay them basic wage? 

Obviously I am not talking 25k. He was probs on 2k a week tops. We triple it.

23 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Tbh.....

I’ve been reading your opinions in here for years and they aren’t worth shit.

42 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He should have been offered a 5 year deal he couldn't refuse the moment we came out of Admin (2014).  It was obvious then he was our best player and could make us a few million.

51 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You are telling us Hearts should've tried to outbid a Championship club with parachute payment seeking promotion back into the EPL for a player who we already had and had signalled he wanted to leave. Sorry but that is insane.

The money wasted on Martin, Juwon etc is another debate entirely.

44 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You are telling us Hearts should've tried to outbid a Championship club with parachute payment seeking promotion back into the EPL for a player who we already had and had signalled he wanted to leave. Sorry but that is insane.

The money wasted on Martin, Juwon etc is another debate entirely.

No that is not what I am saying. We should've secured his signature before Cardiff or anyone came a calling.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

No that is not what I am saying. We should've secured his signature before Cardiff or anyone came a calling.

IF (big if) the rumours that we offered him a derisory increase are true then you have a point, as it was simply the Jamie Walker mistake repeated (IF) that rumour was also true...

These silly offers would've made me think "screw you I'm off" too no matter what my feelings for the club or what my footballing ambitions were..

Byyy The Light
7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

He's not going to tie himself to £6k a week for 3 years when he could pocket a significant signing on fee and £12k a week down south by letting his contract run down.  He did his loyalty bit by putting the sell on clause in the contract.

Like it or not we can't compete with a player who has ambition even to play in the English championship. It's shite, but its the reality of being a club in Scotland.

Pasquale for King

Looks like Pullis is the next manager to replace Monk who surely won’t get another job as manager, the halving of their points deduction from 12 to 6 will hopefully help them stay up and give a nice wee bonus next summer. 

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Pulis suggests he might a slightly different position for Callum (who isn't in squad for Scotland tonight). 

I've always thought right back is his best position despite Neil Warnock stating the opposite.

Need to be far more technical to be a number 10. Never looks natural as a striker. Not skillful/tricky enough to be a wide midfielder or winger.

As a full back he is strong in the air, athletic getting up and down the pitch, strong in the tackle, a good crosser and good at bombing forward.

He's not perfect defensively but if he stuck to that position he would develop this further and it wasn't often he was skinned at Hearts.

The constant position changing hasn't been good for his career at all. He has some fantastic physical attributes but his technical and mental side just hasn't developed. He plays like someone who doesn't have a position 

16 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I've always thought right back is his best position despite Neil Warnock stating the opposite.

Need to be far more technical to be a number 10. Never looks natural as a striker. Not skillful/tricky enough to be a wide midfielder or winger.

As a full back he is strong in the air, athletic getting up and down the pitch, strong in the tackle, a good crosser and good at bombing forward.

He's not perfect defensively but if he stuck to that position he would develop this further and it wasn't often he was skinned at Hearts.

TBH he could cross well, but he couldn't pass water.

Diadora Van Basten
17 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I would say his best position is 10 he gets the ball knocks the ball wide then gets in the box to attack the cross.

18 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Thing about him is you could make a great argument for him in about 5 positions!

I get what you're saying and that was always my position on him - better with the game infront of him, if that makes sense?

But I don't think you're necessarily right about what a number 10, or winger needs to be.

Calum totally has it in his locker to play wide mid in a 442 or a 343.  He's a good crosser and is more than happy to knock the ball past someone and run.  It wouldn't work for a team who control possession and build side to side, but for a team who want someone to exploit space in behind out wide.  Also if the winger or fullback on he left is hanging balls to the back post, how many left backs are there beating CPatz to that header??  I'd suggest roughly zero!

Similar thoughts at no 10.  Actually better than striker I think as the ball goes wide and he is running on to the ball in to the box.  Also if the no 9 is a good hold up player, Calum is perfect for getting on layoffs and scraps.

There's been a tendency within football - pundits, coaches, fans - to think football has to played the "right way".  I hate that shit.  The right way to me only means effective.  Oor Calum is that.  And I actually think a team getting balls in the box and physically dominating can be just as exciting at tippy tappy pretty stuff - in fact often more so.

He's a superb squad player - I actually think he'd be great for a much bigger team.  Mid prem type like West Ham or Newcastle could do with a guy like him in tight games or when chasing something.  

Blackford Hearts
On 10/11/2020 at 07:47, i8hibsh said:

That unfortunately has been the way for as long as I remember. A succession (but not all) of average players nobody had heard of getting the big deals that homegrown players, from all over Scotland do not get. We could have been getting up and coming players from Motherwell and Hamilton who pay low wages but have excellent academies. Greedy agents have a lot to do with that?

On 10/11/2020 at 09:59, DETTY29 said:

Only hearsay, but West Ham were ready to come in with £1m+ only for him to get injured v. Killie.

And in true daft CP style, it was unfortunate but a little self inflicted.  (lunged into a tackle from behind, with his 'wrong' left leg and banged his left knee)

Yes..... silly and needless tackle in the Killie half in the manner you describe.   It was very disappointing after Hearts looked after his rehab that he still  refused a new contract.   Maybe it had something to do with Cathro still being there ?  If he's insisted on Hearts getting a percentage of  subsequent transfer moves, then fair play to him.    And despite that bad injury, he's turned in to an effective (if unconventional)  footballer at a high level. 

Bazzas right boot
On 10/11/2020 at 11:51, i8hibsh said:

Tripling would still not be close to what he was offered. 

Neil Dongcaster
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Starts in Tony Pulis' first team as new manager. 

Of course he does. If ever there was a player for a Pulis team it’s CP.

The new Delap.

Paterson started playing as a sort of number 10 linking the midfield with our striker, but ended up leading the line after our striker was sent off early on. Did OK but he was always going to be ploughing a lonely furrow at the top of a ten-man Tony Pulis side.

Wish the fee could have been larger to give you a nice bonus but the EFL would have a heart attack if we paid any big sums just now. Think the intention when we brought him in was for him to replace Steven Fletcher but Pulis seems to have a slightly different role for him in mind moving forward.

Good luck for this season, hope you walk the Championship. Last football game I went to in person was Rangers in the cup so at least Hearts allowed me to end on something of a high note before this accursed pandemic set in.

1 hour ago, mickycameron98 said:

He was groped yesterday by a Preston player, like properly groped and never blinked an eye. Strange

Video I saw shows him appearing to look towards the officials.  I guess he could hardly lamp the boy as they'd already had Windass sent off.

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Video I saw shows him appearing to look towards the officials.  I guess he could hardly lamp the boy as they'd already had Windass sent off.

Players seem to like Dr Funk & his Junk

On 22/11/2020 at 13:37, mickycameron98 said:

He was groped yesterday by a Preston player, like properly groped and never blinked an eye. Strange

Bizarre 

20201123_134947.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Back in team today under new manager Darren Moore.

Sheffield Wednesday are in trouble. 

He played on Wednesday in the home defeat to Rotherham 

• 5 weeks later...
rambothejambo

Just scored a rasper v Cardiff, The Owls cruising at 3-0 up. Someone who would certainly put some of our so called players to shame.

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's really not looking good for Sheffield Wednesday though doing better today

His first time finishing is really good.