Calum Paterson signs for SWFC ( updated )

Thomaso

Neil Dongcaster
33 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, it's because although I like you think he's technically quite poor he's very versatile and effective. 

He's also very good on the air.  He is. Unfortunately for CP, direct long balls are somewhat a thing of the last in the PL. To put this into context, only around 13% of goals in the PL are headers. Considering most teams in the PL average more than 9 corners per match. Joelinton won 176 headers last season and scored 2 goals.

He's also cheap and imo may be more than happy as a bench player at most epl sides. You’ve just described 99.9% of professional footballers. I don’t see this as an argument for why he could be playing for a mid tier EPL side.

He's the kind of guy that if you are losing you can bomb up front to give an extra striker and with his ability in the air a challenge to any defender. Or a PL club could go spend the average transfer fee in the PL of £16m and sign someone who should have a better record than 5 goals in 36 games in the division below.

He's also a out ball on the right if for some reason you need to go more direct. In the PL you need players that can do something with the ball to act as an outplay. CP has 1 assist in 36 games for the league below. I don’t think premiership teams would consider this a valid reason to sign a player.

And if winning you can stick him on as a out ball as you sit deeper or fire him  in the defence as he'll get stuck in. He was barely adequate in the Scottish premier league in defence. His tackling is appalling.

Shef utd were in the top ten last season,, not all of their squad are superstars or great players, would be a good option for a team from the bench imo. Sheffield United spent £65m on transfers last season.

Not all epl players are superstars. They aren’t. This isn’t an argument on CP being good enough for a premier league team though.

However, for first team football the championship is maybe his level and maybe that's what he wants., not to sit on the bench? 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• i8hibsh

• Neil Dongcaster

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

You clearly  know sfa about football thinking he would make bench for a epl side.

He's done more than that. CP has played 27 times in the EPL for an EPL side and scored 4 goals.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

He's done more than that. CP has played 27 times in the EPL for an EPL side and scored 4 goals.

Has indeed, then and now are two different times am afraid, just don't see it, not a great Cardiff side and cannot get in it, he is a decent championship midtable player.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Lfhearts said:

Has indeed, then and now are two different times am afraid, just don't see it, not a great Cardiff side and cannot get in it, he is a decent championship midtable player.

He was top scorer and YPOTY for a top of the table Championship side.

Always thought he had a bit pace not so sure he still has that, it's all about opinions, am surprised rangers don't take a gamble on him as they need bodies, not good enough to get in first 11 but useful to fill in.

10 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

He played his fair share of games last season and was often picked ahead of the big money signing Glatzel. Harris obviously doesn’t fancy him so he’s going to a team that will probably finally develop him in a set position. Warnock played to his strengths and Harris obviously didn’t want to persist with him this season.

I watched him live last season against Huddersfield where he played up top and linked up really well with Tomlin and bagged himself a tap in in a 3-0 win for Cardiff. He’s far better than what you’re making out and given better coaching, which I’m sure Monk will do, he’s still got plenty years ahead of him to improve. 

You’re also forgetting about the numerous injuries he’s picked up over the last few years which has also seemed to hamper him when he was kicking on, i.e. I’m sure he picked one up playing for Scotland a couple of years back.

Generally, I don’t get the obsession on jkb with writing/slagging players off. Must be cool or something. 

Edited by ecjambo

Glamorgan Jambo

I do believe there may be another payment due from Wednesday to Cardiff (and hence us) if they manage to avoid relegation this season.

The handful of Cardiff fans I speak to aren't at all happy about this move although are unsure whether to blame the manager or the board who are pointing fingers at each other (he's hugely popular because we all know why).

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

He's already played 27 times for a team in the EPL. 

I think he would be a great utility/sub player for a lot of teams. 

You don't. 

I guess time will tell if he ever plays in the epl (again). 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ecjambo said:

He played his fair share of games last season and was often picked ahead of the big money signing Glatzel. Harris obviously doesn’t fancy him so he’s going to a team that will probably finally develop him in a set position. Warnock played to his strengths and Harris obviously didn’t want to persist with him this season.

I watched him live last season against Huddersfield where he played up top and linked up really well with Tomlin and bagged himself a tap in in a 3-0 win for Cardiff. He’s far better than what you’re making out and given better coaching, which I’m sure Monk will do, he’s still got plenty years ahead of him to improve. 

You’re also forgetting about the numerous injuries he’s picked up over the last few years which has also seemed to hamper him when he was kicking on, i.e. I’m sure he picked one up playing for Scotland a couple of years back.

Generally, I don’t get the obsession on jkb with writing/slagging players off. Must be cool or something. 

Your last paragraph is spot on. 

Many go out their way to do this--actually make an effort to make the players look worse. 

Strange. 

Neil Dongcaster
43 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's already played 27 times for a team in the EPL. 

I think he would be a great utility/sub player for a lot of teams. 

You don't. 

I guess time will tell if he ever plays in the epl (again). 

He did. The team got relegated so probably backs up my argument more than yours.

Your opinion is just a throw away comment based on very little evidence. The crux of the matter is that if was good enough for the PL he wouldn’t be signing for a team amongst the favourites to be relegated from the championship. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If the 'save relegation' payment is correct, the deal is £1,890,000 with around £300,000 to Hearts. 

Slightly better but still peanuts down there. 

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Slightly better but still peanuts down there. 

Goes a long way in our tinpot league though

bigsuperslim1874
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If the 'save relegation' payment is correct, the deal is £1,890,000 with around £300,000 to Hearts. 

Sorry if I am being thick but what is the ‘save relegation payment’?

7 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Sorry if I am being thick but what is the ‘save relegation payment’?

a wild stab in the dark would suggest that if he contributes on the pitch to Sheff Weds avoiding relegation, then the fee is increased.

bigsuperslim1874
4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

a wild stab in the dark would suggest that if he contributes on the pitch to Sheff Weds avoiding relegation, then the fee is increased.

Ahh - fair doos. 👍

39 minutes ago, bmxweeman said:

£600k apparently on Sheffield’s twitter thread, £90k to Hearts if it’s 15% and my woeful math is actually correct 

Your maths is spot on!

Calling it "math" however...😠

36 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

In that case:

Come On Ye Owls.

My other half's brother and his lad are SWFC fans so I'll be listening out for reports on CP.

44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Only hearts! (And Sheffield Wednesday)

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Where is this being reported?

Good luck CP! Bang goes the £10m transfer.

How can McKenna go to another club in the same league for more than quadruple. 🤣

Edited by Last Laff

NaturalOrder74
32 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sheffield Wednesday are a good club. Decent squad. 

Could still get into play offs even with points deduction handicap. 

Must have been under a rock but did they go into admin or something ? 

2 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Must have been under a rock but did they go into admin or something ? 

I had no idea either. What happened there?

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
46 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hope there is 17% on Hickey. 

Yorkshire a better place than Wales, not a bad life move

And Sheffield's the best bit to live in. (But I would say that, having been here 40 years).

My son, a committed Hearts and Blades fan, isn't pleased about this signing though.

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Reported to be £75k we're getting, although there is an old article somewhere suggesting that a 400k development fee was agreed if he was ever sold. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Reported to be £75k we're getting, although there is an old article somewhere suggesting that a 400k development fee was agreed if he was ever sold. 

The £400k is the development fee we received when he joined Cardiff. We also negotiated a sell-on fee, which is the £75k.

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

The £400k is the development fee we received when he joined Cardiff. We also negotiated a sell-on fee, which is the £75k.

Ah right. That'll be long gone then. 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

We didn’t negotiate a sell on fee, Paterson asked for one to be inserted in the contract. 

Heard it rumoured if they stay up Cardiff will receive an exempts million pound or something. Would we be entitled to a cut of that as well?

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Yeah, I remember that.

It was good of him, he didn’t need to do that. Now we’re getting a wee boost from it, hope they stay up. 

36 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Heard it rumoured if they stay up Cardiff will receive an exempts million pound or something. Would we be entitled to a cut of that as well?

Depends what is in the contract but usually we would be entitled to a percentage of that too.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Imagine if he scored to relegate Cardiff on the final day...