Season ticket holders - what is your preferred option for streamed games?

kila

Season ticket holders - what is your preferred option for streamed games?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Season ticket holders - what is your preferred option for streamed games?

• Streamed games to count as a season ticket attendance
    • £8 per stream (with season ticket games rolling over to next season)
    • £12 per stream (with season ticket games rolling over to next season)
    • £15+ per stream (with season ticket games rolling over to next season)

The club are going to count streamed games as season ticket attendances. However while this may save the club some cash later on (e.g. next summer by having renewals earlier/fewer rolled over games), it doesn't bring any additional cash in right now.

So would you rather: have streamed games count as a season ticket attendance, or have the games rolled over to next season and instead buy a stream for each game? How much would you spend per stream/game?

I hope Hearts still try and do the match day raffle online. Enticing those buying streams to buy a raffle ticket at the same time will help give the club even more cash.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• davemclaren

• been here before

• kila

I think costing under a tenner it'd be a no brainer for most folk. Anything over and some may start picking which games.

And even if only 2000 bought a stream at £8 it's still an additional £16k per game.

5 minutes ago, kila said:

The club are going to count streamed games as season ticket attendances. However while this may save the club some cash later on (e.g. next summer by having renewals earlier/fewer rolled over games), it doesn't bring any additional cash in right now.

So would you rather: have streamed games count as a season ticket attendance, or have the games rolled over to next season and instead buy a stream for each game? How much would you spend per stream/game?

I hope Hearts still try and do the match day raffle online. Enticing those buying streams to buy a raffle ticket at the same time will help give the club even more cash.

I don’t think your economics makes much sense as we will lose A lot of income next season as folk won’t need to renew their season ticket if it rolls over. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

I don’t think your economics makes much sense as we will lose A lot of income next season as folk won’t need to renew their season ticket if it rolls over. 

Well how many games would roll over? If the whole of this season is behind closed doors, how many top flight clubs will survive never mind those in the Championship? It wouldn't get finished I don't think.

So assuming more crowds are able to come back early next year, how many home games would roll over?  Up to 8? Season ticket holders would still need to renew their seat to secure the remaining game 10 games the following season (assuming we get promoted!).

9 minutes ago, kila said:

Well how many games would roll over? If the whole of this season is behind closed doors, how many top flight clubs will survive never mind those in the Championship? It wouldn't get finished I don't think.

So assuming more crowds are able to come back early next year, how many home games would roll over?  Up to 8? Season ticket holders would still need to renew their seat to secure the remaining game 10 games the following season (assuming we get promoted!).

Season tickets bring in, say, £200K per game so you can see why Hearts don’t want to replace that with a model bringing in a tenth of that per game. 

But that chat is  for another thread. 

I don't like the thought of losing half or all a season for my £450, so I've voted a £12 stream. My only worry, however, is that it wouldn't make that much cash for the club as I know me and 2 or 3 mates would likely watch the game together so that would only be one fee between 3 or 4 ST holders. 

Tough call to be fair.

Fitba' broke my Heart

Surely there is a greater audience for games than just season ticket holders?

Hearts can sell access to the stream to away fans too.

Plus casual viewers abroad.

This is a poll about the preference of individuals which is fair enough!

But let’s not pretend it’s got anything to do with the financial well being of Hearts. In the middle of a pandemic crisis and a potential Hearts financial crisis surely everybody realises that Hearts need season ticket money this season, next season and every season beyond. Even one season (this one or next) without ST income would be disastrous for the club in its current format!

There are too many unknowns to make any kind of an informed decision. It's crazy talking about next season's finances when this season hasn't, and might never, start. I'm happy to leave the financial stuff to the club as they've been pretty tight on financial control up till now. (Not to be confused with not agreeing what the club spend the money on). My son and I bought our ST's and 'secured our seats' way back in May and look forward to the day we can sit in them again, but until then a stream to my laptop is all the club can offer and will do us fine. I'll be sitting at home watching the games with my laddie instead of sitting beside him at the stadium so I really don't see the problem with streaming under the circumstances and certainly don't see the logic in creating a financial black hole for next season. 

Season ticket money is gone as far as I'm concerned but I don't really want to pay again. Happy for it to count my 18 games on TV.  Next season might not even happen. At my age, next year might not even happen. 

I accept that the streaming will count as a ST game but I really didnt like the way hearts went about announcing it. 

I worry about how many people won't renew next season out of protest/sense of being ripped off.

I'm happy to count the streaming as part of my ST. 

Doesn't alter my view that the announcement was clumsy in the extreme.

Perhaps a good idea to offer refunds to people who are determined enough to ask as there shouldn't be too many who are prepared to damage the club financially. 

joondalupjambo

This is where I am at as well. I bought my ST knowing that chances of going to a live game were slim and could afford it.   I appreciate a lot of people are in a different boat though and the club may need to be clever here and offer refunds to those that want them.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
54 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Some folk won’t take it but aye, it should be an option.  

All good if they don't but only fair to offer it

Similar result to the how much do you care poll on Twitter. Most votes seem to reflect an acceptance that the club would suffer any other way. A bit of a ‘don’t like it, but recognise there’s no real alternative’ feel to it. Maybe Hearts will surprise us all by coming up with some way to make it more palatable to to folk?

14 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I would say anyone paying 450 quid gets a rebate 

I suggested offering hospitality options or something similar to season ticket holders on a first-come first served basis when attending live football is possible.

18 hours ago, luckydug said:

I'm happy to count the streaming as part of my ST. 

Doesn't alter my view that the announcement was clumsy in the extreme.

Perhaps a good idea to offer refunds to people who are determined enough to ask as there shouldn't be too many who are prepared to damage the club financially. 

Agree... I'm happy for my season ticket to be counted for streaming. Even if they came out and guaranteed 8/9 games next season as a cap (ie. half price ST next season)... I'd be happy.

I do think Hearts should be doing more for supporters that bought more than one ST, however.

2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

It really is miss sold and hearts could be liable for this.

Take them to the cleaners, mate. Hope you get compensation on top of your money back... all that mental anguish they have caused you. You deserve it mate. No mercy.

I'll probably get pelters on here for it but I'm not paying £1000 to stream games online.

Works out at over £50 a game if there's 18 or over £80 a month if you assume it's over a year.

£1000 is what my two adult and one child platinum tickets cost. I even thought I'd help out the club by upgrading to platinum and buying my grandson a ticket. I figured it would help the club now and I'd still get in to see the games when we were allowed back in, because of their guarantee. 

Never thought for a minute they'd try to pull the wool over my eyes. It's been done to death about the wording and how we should all suck it up and support the club - "what else can they do".

I've supported the club financially over the years. I still pay in to FOH and I'll consider paying for a streaming service to help the club if the offer is clear (don't trust them anymore).

This morning I've received an email holding reply to my refund request saying my request has been shared with the relevant people and they'll  send me a more substantive response in the next few days. Sounds like they're considering how to communicate this time.

Sorry if that upsets some but I'm not a charity. Well done to those who are happy and able to pay and let the streamed games count instead of access to the seat they paid for. 

Edited by Jack Torrance

20 hours ago, kila said:

I think costing under a tenner it'd be a no brainer for most folk. Anything over and some may start picking which games.

And even if only 2000 bought a stream at £8 it's still an additional £16k per game.

Good luck running a professional club on the income of an average home crowd of 500!!

19 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I accept that the streaming will count as a ST game but I really didnt like the way hearts went about announcing it. 

I worry about how many people won't renew next season out of protest/sense of being ripped off.

Protesting about not getting to watch Hearts in person by not going to watch Hearts in person!!

Edited by David McCaig

Happy for my st to count towards the 18 games. Initially not over the moon about the prospect but its hearts and I will just be happy to see games again if they actually happen 

5 minutes ago, gov said:

Happy for my st to count towards the 18 games. Initially not over the moon about the prospect but its hearts and I will just be happy to see games again if they actually happen 

totally agree with that, i would also be happy for the Gorgie Suite to used my season ticket number to show the games on the big screens (as long as i get invited lol) and we can have a shed load of people in watching if permitted. No doubt SPFL/SFA will say that you can't do that on home match days barstewards.

40 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Good luck running a professional club on the income of an average home crowd of 500!!

I think we'd sell more than 2000 streams at £8 a pop though!

This is more if there is only a few games to be streamed. If the entire season has to be BCD there are much bigger issues than this!

Just now, kila said:

This is more if there is only a few games to be streamed. If the entire season has to be BCD there are much bigger issues than this!

His point is still valid.  Your model doesn't allow the club to be financially viable.

8 minutes ago, kila said:

So income of £16k v over £200k per streamed match. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So income of £16k v over £200k per streamed match. 

How much income from FoH per month?

Come on... the streaming cost is just to get some cash now and save the fall out from angry season ticket holders in multiple households.

We are not a poor club ffs!

10 minutes ago, kila said:

Come on... the streaming cost is just to get some cash now and save the fall out from angry season ticket holders in multiple households.

We're not a poor club, but gate revenue is our lifeblood, not a tiny cherry on top of a giant cake!!

10 minutes ago, kila said:

We are not poor but we live within our means and no club or person has had to live through a time like this. I certainly don't think it would of been in the finance forecast. It doesn't help that we are not in the top flight so the tv money and fact we are still not playing has had a big effect as well. 

14 minutes ago, kila said:

We will be, if we survive at all, if we follow your proposal (ffs). 

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Protesting about not getting to watch Hearts in person by not going to watch Hearts in person!!

Not necessarily. Could be that some folks will simply pIck & choose rather than fork out up-front for a ST.

This is a difficult one.

As fans, we want to keep the club going so as to compete with our nearest rivals (in other words, any team outside the OF, being realistic).

As members of FoH, most on here including me have an additional stake.

But we are also customers who were told that we were buying something that now turns out to be something else. An impressive number of people in this poll are prepared to accept this, for the good of the club.

We have to bear in mind that many fans will have made significant sacrifices to buy their ST, and that most fans are paid considerably less than many of the employees of HMFC whom they are subsidising (even where players have accepted a reduction in pay).

Why should hard-up people subsidise the lifestyles of others who are much better off?

And there is a basic unfairness that people are paying different amounts of money for the same product; people who have paid for more expensive seats, or families who have paid for multiple seats but will view the streamed games on a single device.

I want Hearts to survive and thrive. But I also feel misled, and if Hearts were any other kind of business than 'my team' I'd be raging.

I'm inclined to grin and bear it, and treat this season as a one-off. But something grates.

And I'd like to ask the SFA/SPFL, what reward will there be for us, the fans, who have kept your show on the road in spite of every piece of nonsense you throw at us? Do you think we will meekly revert back to normal service, where Scottish football has to be a two-horse race and the rest of us make up the numbers, whilst paying your salaries?

It's time for change.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

As a season ticket holder you should be getting access to HeartsTV anyway imo.

If you live in the uk you don’t get live video of matches anyway ( in normal times ). 

My fear the streaming option if it was pay per game would be open to 'abuse'.

How many pericopes feeds would we get? People streaming the game and sharing it between their mates so only one out of five have to pay. How many dogey IPTV feeds etc would there be?

1 hour ago, kila said:

Hopefully non season ticket holders will pay per match and bring a little extra cash in. But it will be insignificant compared to ST money.

Hearts need season ticket money this season (20/21), next season (21/22) and every season thereafter. Even one season with no ST money at all (as suggested) would be a financial disaster that would need major cuts in all areas of expenditure especially jobs / wages. Hearts are in the middle of a crisis, get real!

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Protesting about paying to watch hearts in person after receiving a guarantee from the club that they'd get games in person (whenever that becomes viable) but receiving a stream instead without any acknowledgement to the aforementioned guarantee. 

I can see people withholding ST money next year off the back of the way this has been handled. 

Edited by Carl Weathers

51 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Free for season ticket holders and season ticket rolls over to next season or whenever fans are allowed back in

:locke:

😳

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

If you live in the uk you don’t get live video of matches anyway ( in normal times ). 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I meant in general.....

Just now, DH1986 said:

I meant in general.....

Ok, sorry. Not sure what it costs in the UK but I had it for a while a few years back but didn't think it was up to much. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

This is where I am at right now. I had HW for years when living abroad but came back to UK a couple of years ago (south of England) so just have the UK version now which doesn't seem to have any live video now, even the games that were on sky or BT sport or whatever that used to be available. I am considering getting a season ticket to watch the streams but it is not clear what will happen if/when all fans are allowed back in the ground, i.e. presumably they would then stop streaming them for ST holders? There is no danger I can get up to Edinburgh due to family commitments. Also wish they would hurry up and announce the ppv cost so I can decide on the ST or not. One other thing that hasn't been discussed yet (I don't think) is this - what happens if crowds are reintroduced on a limited capacity scale? This place will be in meltdown if say only 1000 are allowed in at first and then the number gradually ramps up considering the number of STs we have!!!

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Hopefully non season ticket holders will pay per match and bring a little extra cash in. But it will be insignificant compared to ST money.

Hearts need season ticket money this season (20/21), next season (21/22) and every season thereafter. Even one season with no ST money at all (as suggested) would be a financial disaster that would need major cuts in all areas of expenditure especially jobs / wages. Hearts are in the middle of a crisis, get real!

Indeed but I'd happily pay my 21/22 renewal earlier if the club needed the cash. There's ways to massage/kick the streaming costs down the line to when things aren't so bad.

As for the bit in bold - I didn't suggest one season with no ST money. I'm talking a handful of games rolling over to next season's ticket book. Because face it, if half the season or more ends up BCD, the league will crash - and if that happened then it wouldn't really matter if we lost games off our ST or not as Scottish football would be in a major crisis.