Cameron toll

GinRummy

1 minute ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

I found it really unfunny, but other people I know loved it.  Maybe I’m just an old grump 👍😊😍😷❤️

Some of it was just vulgar because he runs out of ideas but other bits were pretty funny.  

rudiatemyhamster
Just now, GinRummy said:

Some of it was just vulgar because he runs out of ideas but other bits were pretty funny.  

Was talking to someone the other day about Cameron Toll - mind when it flooded.  Being the one of the few Mall style shopping centres it was big news.  I grew up nr Wester Hailes Shopping Centre not been back since I was a kid but the wee market bit I used to love 👍

2 minutes ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Was talking to someone the other day about Cameron Toll - mind when it flooded.  Being the one of the few Mall style shopping centres it was big news.  I grew up nr Wester Hailes Shopping Centre not been back since I was a kid but the wee market bit I used to love 👍

Used to work in Presto at wester hailes centre 😂. Remember the market bit as well. Not too familiar with Cameron Toll tbh but the sing could be about any shit shopping centre. 

Edited by GinRummy

rudiatemyhamster

The Presto bought Safeway and I was like wtf that shit whole of a place can take over another company.

Being a wee gadgey I knew nothing of corporate takeovers 👍

been here before
2 minutes ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

I grew up nr Wester Hailes Shopping Centre not been back since I was a kid but the wee market bit I used to love 👍

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Used to work in Presto at wester hailes 😂. Remember the market bit as well. 

The Forum.

Which for some bizarre reason was officially opened by Lewis Collins of The Professionals fame.

been here before
1 minute ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

The Presto bought Safeway and I was like wtf that shit whole of a place can take over another company.

Being a wee gadgey I knew nothing of corporate takeovers 👍

The Presto used to be called Ailsa and had both the upstairs and the downstairs bit that became Lewis Collins favourite indoor marketplace.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

The Forum.

Which for some bizarre reason was officially opened by Lewis Collins of The Professionals fame.

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

The Presto used to be called Ailsa and had both the upstairs and the downstairs bit that became Lewis Collins favourite indoor marketplace.

When I worked there they had a store detective called Glenn who was the most obvious store detective imaginable but thought he was deep, deep undercover. I was a daft teenager but even I wouldn’t have pinched anything with him around. 

Edited by GinRummy

Samuel Camazzola

Funny but would have been better if shortened a touch. 

Some old school references to Fourbouys (sp), InterSport, Fosters, Our Price, Safeway, Dixons, Clydesdale etc would have been fitting with video. 

54 minutes ago, Tott said:

Driven by it a million times,but had never ventured  into till last year.

Like Livi  centre in 1982...minus the punks.

Now packed with Goths.

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Was it always called Cameron Toll, I've only ever been in a handful of times but always referd to it as The Sava?

It was called Savacentre when it opened if I remember correctly, I was at high school at the time so it was a while ago.

Montgomery Brewster
7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was called Savacentre when it opened if I remember correctly, I was at high school at the time so it was a while ago.

Savacentre was a joint venture between Sainsbury’s and Bhs. Basically selling food from Sainsbury’s and clothes and home furnishings etc from bhs.

sainsburys eventually bought out bhs and savacentre was renamed to sainsburys where they did exist .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SavaCentre

2 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Savacentre was a joint venture between Sainsbury’s and Bhs. Basically selling food from Sainsbury’s and clothes and home furnishings etc from bhs.

sainsburys eventually bought out bhs and savacentre was renamed to sainsburys where they did exist .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SavaCentre

👍

Remember going there as a kid and doing the weekly shop in Sainsbury’s. Looking back we must have been posh back then. Firmly an Aldi shopper now 😂

Used to work there in Forbouys (no idea how it was spelled).

One of my co workers was a guy called Garry who was a massive Jambo.

Is he on here I wonder? Would be in his 50’s now?

Won European Shopping Centre of the year in 1984 but looks quite tired and  outdated these days.

The Aberdeen FC of the shopping mall world I guess.

Still, fond memories of browsing Our Price records whilst my mum shopped at Savacentre, and then getting a Spud-U-Like up at the Terrace.

I used to stay at my Gran's in Prestonfield.  Save my 50p pocket money and then walk to Savacentre and Our Price to but the budget ZX Spectrum games for £1.99.

How we lived back in the day...lol.

Forbouys was that not the spelling?

Shanks said no
On 19/09/2020 at 21:41, Lord BJ said:

****ing Presto that a blast from the past.

worked there for a month in 81 until confirmation came through that I had a Ferranti apprenticeship. First experience of a jobsworth boss who took pleasure in bullying junior staff. Only job I have ever told the boss where to stick it and walked out.

Highlight was being the dairy stacker, hidden away from customers in a big fridge and loading everything from behind the scenes. Never scoffed so many yogurts in my life. 

On 19/09/2020 at 23:20, Alex said:

Was it always called Cameron Toll, I've only ever been in a handful of times but always referd to it as The Sava?

It wasn't til I worked with a couple of people from that side of town a few years back that I heard Savacentre. Went over my head completely until I finally got where they meant.

Just like Fort Kinnaird getting called 'The Fort'. Until I started seeing my ex who lived in Niddrie, The Fort to me was a housing scheme. Sadly that's mostly gone and I've spent most of my time since living relatively close to Fort Kinnaird, so even find myself calling it The Fort out of habit.

On 20/09/2020 at 11:50, jonesy said:

We live nearby. Somehow my wife manages to spend the same amount in Aldi as she did in Sainsbury's thus avoiding any savings to be made by shopping in a cheaper supermarket :(

Haha

Thought it was very decent, not laugh out loud uncontrollably decent, but quite funny, and let's face it, who else is going to mention cameron toll, ever again. 

23 hours ago, Costanza said:

Won European Shopping Centre of the year in 1984 but looks quite tired and  outdated these days.

The Aberdeen FC of the shopping mall world I guess.

Still, fond memories of browsing Our Price records whilst my mum shopped at Savacentre, and then getting a Spud-U-Like up at the Terrace.

Nipped in there for a coffee just before lockdown as I waited on my car being fixed. Makes Wester Hailes Centre look like Harrods. 😛

Its a shame in all honesty. At one time they were decent places. The Forum(mentioned earlier) in Wester Hailes was a place you could actually go and get yer football strips,( I’m talking back in the 80s) it had decent shops at one time.  Now the best it gets in there is a Greggs.

As part of my nostalgia trip at Christmas around the area, I actually drop in at the Wester Hailes Centre Card Factory shop just to pick up bits and pieces. Otherwise you blank the place as you walk through.  

Edited by Debut 4