The Scotch Pie.

Dawnrazor

18 hours ago, Bozi said:

I used to love going to Anderson's baker, just along from the ODEON at about 4am after walking home from Lothain road, they would open up the back shutter and sell fresh pies right out of the oven. Would fuel you for the walk back to Niddrie 

Same with the wee bakery on Morrison Street, opposite what is now Thomson's Bar. In truth, the pies were probably not all that wonderful, but they certainly tasted it after a hard day's night in the pub! Malone's on Slateford Road too.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke
On 23/09/2020 at 18:59, GinRummy said:

I need to put a mention in for Quinsters bakers pies at Stoneybank Musselburgh.  Lovely pies. 

They are actually. Steak ones are loovleh😋

19 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Wallace's Pehs, fae Dundeh...

Ex-inlaws introduced these to me, amazing...

And twa puffy toots. 

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

A swollen minge?

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Gok Wans saxophone?

To be honest, neither of these answers surprise me.

On 25/09/2020 at 19:59, Victorian said:

Bains pies are not even just the best,  they make all other non-Bains pies obsolete.    They should have national fame for them.

Bains pies are ok..pepper overload.

But travel around our wonderful country.

You realize how shit they are,watery mince  with shitloads of  spice in  a brick hard casing.

A Mutton pie in Aberdeenshire,wherever you get it is usually very good and the best Scotland has to offer.

Boghall so called world pie champion is my local,but isnt very nice at all.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A cream cake, I think. 

👍

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

new wan to me.

Me too, Harold.  🤓

20 hours ago, Tott said:

Bains pies are ok..pepper overload.

But travel around our wonderful country.

You realize how shit they are,watery mince  with shitloads of  spice in  a brick hard casing.

A Mutton pie in Aberdeenshire,wherever you get it is usually very good and the best Scotland has to offer.

Boghall so called world pie champion is my local,but isnt very nice at all.

I got a steak pie from Boghall couple of weeks back and have to say it was bloody lovely but didn't try the scotch pie

Got my pies when out shopping on Saturday. Was going to have them today but got my wifes electric grill out yesterday, experimented and made a grilled cheese sandwich,  perfect, so today I have defrosted a chicken breast she had frozen, so I have made a marinate, and that is happening just now and I will try grilling the chicken for dinner.  Life is full of nothing ventured nothing gained moments. If I am successful I am sure she will be looking down and saying as she often did, I am proud of you. But I'm no really all that brave the pie is there in case of disaster.

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Got my pies when out shopping on Saturday. Was going to have them today but got my wifes electric grill out yesterday, experimented and made a grilled cheese sandwich,  perfect, so today I have defrosted a chicken breast she had frozen, so I have made a marinate, and that is happening just now and I will try grilling the chicken for dinner.  Life is full of nothing ventured nothing gained moments. If I am successful I am sure she will be looking down and saying as she often did, I am proud of you. But I'm no really all that brave the pie is there in case of disaster.

Sounds like you are coping pretty well, Bob?

How are things going, in general?

44 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Sounds like you are coping pretty well, Bob?

How are things going, in general?

Thanks Morgan, like all things time helps heal wounds. I had wondered why I was having such a hard time dealing with this. I have always in times of difficulty seemed to handle myself pretty well. I realised today for the first time that the difficulty is the loss of the person who supported me through sixty two years  of my life, and now its all my own responsibility, so its time to square the shoulders, say f...it and get on and do it. I hope I am man enough to manage that. I do use the words Esther I love you a lot.

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Thanks Morgan, like all things time helps heal wounds. I had wondered why I was having such a hard time dealing with this. I have always in times of difficulty seemed to handle myself pretty well. I realised today for the first time that the difficulty is the loss of the person who supported me through sixty two years  of my life, and now its all my own responsibility, so its time to square the shoulders, say f...it and get on and do it. I hope I am man enough to manage that. I do use the words Esther I love you a lot.

The bit in bold should be everyone's motto. :)

If I can get away with it, big hug for you, Bob.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The bit in bold should be everyone's motto. :)

If I can get away with it, big hug for you, Bob.

I welcome any hug  I get, apart from our son only one neighbour has offered any conversation. No one has called me just to ask how I am, the strongest support I have had is from right here on JKB. I am lonely and still very sad, but so far in my life I have not seen one arse that I would kiss to get anything from them, so its off to bed soon, and tomorrow will be another day of learning something new, and making my wife proud. Thats what is important to me ,

just too old to be fussed by people.

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I welcome any hug  I get, apart from our son only one neighbour has offered any conversation. No one has called me just to ask how I am, the strongest support I have had is from right here on JKB. I am lonely and still very sad, but so far in my life I have not seen one arse that I would kiss to get anything from them, so its off to bed soon, and tomorrow will be another day of learning something new, and making my wife proud. Thats what is important to me ,

:thumb: Nice one, Bob.

J.T.F.Robertson
12 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Your last eight words are spot on. Really glad to hear you're getting by reasonably well.

Stick in!

Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

I made this bad boy.....put it next to the can so you get a context of its size.....it was awesome 

20657A3E-BE86-4210-B246-361EAA520AE7.thumb.jpeg.af3dc5204a0cac4313a7a76c5f0542f8.jpeg

What's in the filling? Looks braw mind👍

highlandjambo3

Good quality minced lamb....lots of seasoning and cooked before it went into the pie, the mould was a mini deep quiche mould.

Edited by highlandjambo3

8 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Good quality minced lamb....lots of seasoning and cooked before it went into the pie, the mould was a mini deep quiche mould.

Cheers, I'm going to give that a try.

22 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

On a similar note.......what should a pie not contain?

For me it’s macaroni, I mean WTF is that all about eh.

I was lucky enough to be in the vicinity of stenhouse today so nipped into Bains for a pie or 4, steak mince pie was lovely but was still hot and lost some on my jeans...that's what I get for being greedy and eating it straight away 

Had to get a macaroni pie for my vegetarian missus though, no I don't get it either 

1 minute ago, Bozi said:

I was lucky enough to be in the vicinity of stenhouse today so nipped into Bains for a pie or 4, steak mince pie was lovely but was still hot and lost some on my jeans...that's what I get for being greedy and eating it straight away 

Had to get a macaroni pie for my vegetarian missus though, no I don't get it either 

Oh God, no!!!

Not a macaroni pie?

My wife likes them too.  :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Oh God, no!!!

Not a macaroni pie?

My wife likes them too.  :facepalm:

I love a macaroni pie ya fecking philistine. 

19 minutes ago, Bozi said:

I know man, I know

18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I love a macaroni pie ya fecking philistine. 

Aye, but your first name is Dawn.

A macaroni pie is a woman’s pie.  :wink:

I love macaroni pies. Kudos to the deviant who first came up with the ridiculous idea of putting macaroni into a Scotch pie case.

So I decide I am homesick and want some old fashioned Scottish meals. Off the plane at Turnhouse right off to a pie shop get a pie put it in the oven, sit down to eat it and find its Macaroni,  replace pie with heid in the oven. Of course will find that its an electric oven, not a good day.🥴

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So I decide I am homesick and want some old fashioned Scottish meals. Off the plane at Turnhouse right off to a pie shop get a pie put it in the oven, sit down to eat it and find its Macaroni,  replace pie with heid in the oven. Of course will find that its an electric oven, not a good day.🥴

Name change required me thinks.....

bluntie should suffice 

17 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I made this bad boy.....put it next to the can so you get a context of its size.....it was awesome 

20657A3E-BE86-4210-B246-361EAA520AE7.thumb.jpeg.af3dc5204a0cac4313a7a76c5f0542f8.jpeg

Did you make the pastry yourself? If so, is it a basic short crust recipe?