The Scotch Pie.

Dawnrazor

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If it's Mackinnons of Speyside on the main drag his black pudding and haggis are also top notch. 

I think it is that one and you are bang on about the black pudding. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, kila said:

McGill's.

I'm glad he bought it after Malones closed (guy retired I think). That wee strip with the pubs/snooker halls etc would be prime student flat location. Had Malones laid empty I think it might've been the start of more gentrification.

Plus the chemist, the garage, chup shoap and a place to squander dosh on the gee gees, on the corner.

8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I'm through in Perth and Murrays baker do a cracking scotch pie. If I ever have either of my parents visiting they go out their way to stock up lol

That's what I do, stock up on pies and slice ect whenever I'm up the road.

13 hours ago, frankblack said:

I had a Bells vegan scotch pie.

It tasted very under-seasoned and needed an extra kick tbh.  Wouldn't bother again in a hurry.

Aye - booted right into the bin!   :muggy:

9 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Screenshot_20200919-113051_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9a523457a1e5e8f6bead019a0bb0761d.jpg

The Lurchmonster?

Boy does a podcast (our used to anyway) with DHB...Doghouse *******s radio show...

Mad as feck,but very popular butcher in Aberdeen apparently.

Early shows had a " Mr angry " Hearts casual whose house number was similar to the shows  skype number and got bombarded with calls meant for them.

Think  there down to a couple of podcasts a year now,but worth a listen if you have feck all to do.

On 18/09/2020 at 17:40, Tazio said:

There was a definite time when it became a scotch pie. Most of my life it was just a mince pie then it all changed. 

Indeed. For me it was just a "pie". If we talked about having a pie, it was taken as being a mince pie, unless otherwise specified.

The Mighty Thor

+1 for Mason's at Newhaven. 

I was doing a job at Newhaven a few weeks ago. Straight in for a scotch pie and a buttered well fired roll. 

Ate it like a labrador with worms. 

been here before
51 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Bells scotch pies are class, also noticed Sainsburys are selling Killie pies, stocked up on a few of them aswell!

The games all about opinions but fckin hell man they are obscene.

Hoofs, eyeballs, tails, arseholes and god knows what else caked in flavouring and spices to give it taste.

A meat content of about 20%.

They shouldnt even be mentioned on this thread next to some of the glorious meat savouries suggested here.

Ive a mind to report you, ye deviant.

Edited by been here before

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Hoofs, eyeballs, tails, arseholes and god knows what else caked in flavouring and spices to give it taste.

They shouldnt even be mentioned on this thread next to some of the glorious meat savouries suggested here.

:lol: Bit of Heinz BBQ and they go down a treat 👍🏻

12 minutes ago, been here before said:

not even 20% listed as 15% beef

1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Bells scotch pies are class, also noticed Sainsburys are selling Killie pies, stocked up on a few of them aswell!

Bell's make some good pies, but their Scotch isn't one of them :lol:

I do have them regularly as a lunch as I work at home.

alwaysthereinspirit

My wife gets the biggest kick out of me eating a mince pie.

I eat it as I have for about 50 years.

Two pies, ketchup poured into one bath tub, brown sauce into the other.

Cut the top circle out and flip it onto the mince. Both ketchup and brown. 

Remove circular pastry and place on plate, sauce side now facing up.

Eat mince with ketchup first. Break side crust away in bite size pieces with fingers (hands washed prior)

Eat bottom pastry and then top pastry last.

Repeat with brown sauce pie.

Delicious.

36 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Bells Mince Rounds are decent. 👍

Their steak and mince pies from the supermarket are tolerable for a shop bought pie. Need HP sauce though to give them a bit of a tang. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Their steak and mince pies from the supermarket are tolerable for a shop bought pie. Need HP sauce though to give them a bit of a tang. 

I think their mince pies are rank. 

The fancy farm shop out by Kirkliston do a mean steak pie. 

44 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Bells Mince Rounds are decent. 👍

I actually buy myself one every couple of months as a dirty treat.

Big plate of mashed tatties and beans to go with it.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Bells mince pies are the worst I have ever had.   

53 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

My wife gets the biggest kick out of me eating a mince pie.

I eat it as I have for about 50 years.

Two pies, ketchup poured into one bath tub, brown sauce into the other.

Cut the top circle out and flip it onto the mince. Both ketchup and brown. 

Remove circular pastry and place on plate, sauce side now facing up.

Eat mince with ketchup first. Break side crust away in bite size pieces with fingers (hands washed prior)

Eat bottom pastry and then top pastry last.

Repeat with brown sauce pie.

Delicious.

Sounds like some kind of ancient Scottish ritual....

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I have one in the freezer for just that sort of behaviour. 👍

been here before
15 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Bells mince pies are the worst I have ever had.   

The ingredients of a Bells Scotch Pie...

Water,

Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin),

Beef (15%),

Margarine (Palm Oil, Rapeseed Oil, Water, Palm Stearin, Salt),

Rusk (contains: Gluten),

Salt,

Glaze (Rapeseed Oil; Milk Proteins; Emulsifiers: Soya Lecithin, Polysorbate 60; Glucose; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrate),

Coriander,

Pepper,

Nutmeg Extract,

Dextrose,

Rapeseed Oil,

Flour Treatment Agent: E920

Polysorbate 60 sounds particularly appetising- 

"Polysorbate-60 can be used as an emulsifier and thickening agent in personal care formulations and finds itself as a dispersant in oral care. This product is also commonly used as an indirect food additive by agrochemical companies to solubilize flavors and emulsify fats".

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

The ingredients of a Bells Scotch Pie...

Water,

Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin),

Beef (15%),

Margarine (Palm Oil, Rapeseed Oil, Water, Palm Stearin, Salt),

Rusk (contains: Gluten),

Salt,

Glaze (Rapeseed Oil; Milk Proteins; Emulsifiers: Soya Lecithin, Polysorbate 60; Glucose; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrate),

Coriander,

Pepper,

Nutmeg Extract,

Dextrose,

Rapeseed Oil,

Flour Treatment Agent: E920

Polysorbate 60 sounds particularly appetising- 

"Polysorbate-60 can be used as an emulsifier and thickening agent in personal care formulations and finds itself as a dispersant in oral care. This product is also commonly used as an indirect food additive by agrochemical companies to solubilize flavors and emulsify fats".

15% Beef should be ****ing illegal.

You can tell they are evil just by looking at them.  They just don't look appetising at all.

Edited by Lovecraft

I actually have a bit of a love affair with a mince (scotch) pie, as I used to get a mince pie supper at every away game while my grandad nipped into the pub after every game.  He would go to the pub to tick the "been there for a pint" while I sat outside eating my mince pie supper.  I think there are only about 3 grounds we never went to.

🙂

I will be honest - I think the majority of places sourced their pies from the same place.  Either that, or deep frying it makes them all taste the same.

Edited by Lovecraft

The Mighty Thor

Bit surprised that Bells claim a 15% meat content. 

Mind you anyone eating a scotch pie expecting anything other than a flavoursome collection of paws, baws & claws isn't doing it right. 

I really enjoy cooking and had a go at making real scotch pies from scratch from a genuine baker's recipe.  The amount of lard in the crust is horrifying.    But...  I guess that's what makes it so tasty.

Not sure about anyone else, but I kinda like a decent amount of liquid fat in my pie.

Edited by Lovecraft

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Bit surprised that Bells claim a 15% meat content. 

Mind you anyone eating a scotch pie expecting anything other than a flavoursome collection of paws, baws & claws isn't doing it right. 

Nips, lips, flaps and sacks.

Edited by Lovecraft

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I really enjoy cooking and had a go at making real scotch pies from scratch from a genuine baker's recipe.  The amount of lard in the crust is horrifying.    But...  I guess that's what makes it so tasty.

Not sure about anyone else, but I kinda like a decent amount of liquid fat in my pie.

the basic pastry is hot water crust and is lard water and flour, you do need to work fast to mould it while it is still hot

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the basic pastry is hot water crust and is lard water and flour, you do need to work fast to mould it while it is still hot

Yeah,  it was just the amount of lard that concerned me while making them.

They turned out ok, but obviously not bakery standard.

I also make huge ones and filled it with chilli.

Edited by Lovecraft

5 hours ago, been here before said:

😂Agreed! 

8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Mince round are the Dug's Bollox. Especially with mash totties and beans. Cheap as, anaw. 

On 20/09/2020 at 04:22, ri Alban said:

Pie supper, steak pie supper. Pizza pie supper. What!? It's just a pizza. Yes, just like it's just a Pie. 

mince pie supper.

Hugh blacks butcher in armadale does a cracking scotch pie. When I'm down visiting my folks, I always stock up. If I have the car in Edinburgh at my aunties in gorgie, I usually take a wander along to bains.

1 hour ago, westbow said:

Off tangent slightly but a wedge of pork pie with hp sauce ...:greggy:

:getout:

For mass produced pies, Brownings Killie pie is excellent - perfect amount of gravy to keep the meat moist but not enough to drip down your chin.    A wee twist of salt & pepper on the top is all you need.    Much better than their steak bake thingy. 

I should just emphasise that their pie is the only good thing to come out of Kilmarnock.   ☺️

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

What if they have chicken or steak pies and you want a Scotch pie?

Reminds me of a piece of travel writing I read years ago. Posh English bloke in a town in the middle of nowhere in Australia went to a pie stall, asked the rough bloke serving what flavours of pie they had. The bloke looked baffled and replied “pie flavour”

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

He just shouts: "That's no' a feckin' pie!" until they hold up the right one...    :whistling:   :mw_rolleyes:    ;)

53 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You ask for a chicken or steak pie, if you want a pie, you as for a pie. Unless you're total pie, who talks out their pie hole. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

You ask for a chicken or steak pie, if you want a pie, you as for a pie. Unless you're total pie, who talks out their pie hole. 

😆

I used to love going to Anderson's baker, just along from the ODEON at about 4am after walking home from Lothain road, they would open up the back shutter and sell fresh pies right out of the oven. Would fuel you for the walk back to Niddrie 

16 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Exactly, then you would be defeated to say mince/scotch.

Down in Derby visiting a lass i had met in Majorca, asked for a fish supper, got a weird look.

No such thing as a supper down there, fish and chips were the norm.

Many years ago while on a course at Creaton near Northampton we went into a chippy and I asked for a steak pie and chips. The steak pies were on display in the bit where they put the stuff after cooking and they were wrapped in cellophane packaging. When the guy took the pie from the wrapping and put it with the chips I asked him why he wasn't deep frying it. He gave me a puzzled look but eventually put the pie in the fryer for a coupe of minutes. Unfortunately he didn't let it drain for long enough and it wasn't ideal. Still ate it though!

The butcher in the main street in North Berwick didn't like it when I asked for a mince pie. Do you mean scotch pie he said!  The pie was good.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

47 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Many years ago while on a course at Creaton near Northampton we went into a chippy and I asked for a steak pie and chips. The steak pies were on display in the bit where they put the stuff after cooking and they were wrapped in cellophane packaging. When the guy took the pie from the wrapping and put it with the chips I asked him why he wasn't deep frying it. He gave me a puzzled look but eventually put the pie in the fryer for a coupe of minutes. Unfortunately he didn't let it drain for long enough and it wasn't ideal. Still ate it though!

The butcher in the main street in North Berwick didn't like it when I asked for a mince pie. Do you mean scotch pie he said!  The pie was good.

That's North Berwick for you  😂

Linton butchers in East Linton pies are excellent as well.