Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

πŸ€ͺπŸ‘

I do actually go along with your pie on a roll recommendation thoughπŸ˜‹

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I do actually go along with your pie on a roll recommendation thoughπŸ˜‹

You're obviously a man of sophisticated and exquisite taste too, you'll be on the lasagna rolls before you know it, the "pie roll" is mearly the "gateway" roll into the harder more "bourgeois" Italian fillings!

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

You're obviously a man of sophisticated and exquisite taste too, you'll be on the lasagna rolls before you know it, the "pie roll" is mearly the "gateway" roll into the harder more "bourgeois" Italian fillings!

:rofl:Β no chance I’m trying the lasagna roll.
Β 

I’ve got a wee favourite of mine that would give some the boak. A chicken curry from a chinese takeaway...the next day coldπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:rofl:Β no chance I’m trying the lasagna roll.
Β 

I’ve got a wee favourite of mine that would give some the boak. A chicken curry from a chinese takeaway...the next day coldπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

I can appreciate that........on a roll?!

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Where's the best one people have tasted come from?

I think the best one I've ever had was from a butchers in Thornhill.

Bain’s at Stenhouse cross takes a bit of beatingπŸ˜‹

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Β Toning wrong with that Bob, good honest food. Though I’ve just realised I’ve not had a bridie in ages, a situation I’ll need to sort as soon as possible.Β 

Β 

Bridie's - love them. Couldn't get one the other day in our local shop so plumped for a Cornish pasty, absolute shite. It was all tatties and onion.

13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Β 

Chip shop in Kirkcaldy today we're selling lasagna pies, wtf is that all about?

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can appreciate that........on a roll?!

:rofl:Β Will give that a tryΒ 

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Bain’s at Stenhouse cross takes a bit of beatingπŸ˜‹

They’re immense, but you could easily eat half a dozen rapid and still want more.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Β 

Chip shop in Kirkcaldy today we're selling lasagna pies, wtf is that all about?

Wtaf is that all about🀯

58 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

87D.gif

giphy (3).gif

:rofl::rofl::rofl: you really do make me laugh DR

Weakened Offender

Stephens do a grand Scotch Pie.Β 

Β 

Baynes onion brides are quality too.Β 

Β 

Scotmid sell Stuarts Scotch Pies- very decent.Β 

Β 

The best Scotch pie I've tasted was from a wee butcher shop in Aviemore. Class.Β 

Looking back a long time ago. Days of being Lord of the Manor. Afternoon shift in Niddrie. Piece time around five, over to Tonys back to Wauchope Avenue police box 30, kettle switched on. Lord of the Manor takes his dining seat on the desk feet on the stool, the wrappers are unwrapped and the pie supper served for dining.Β  Sit at the masters table looking out the dark tinted windows at the minions doffing their hats to the Lord who is enjoying another bite out of his delicate meal,greasy fingers, cold chips but Buckingham Palace couldn't be more regal. I was the man, and I ate like the God, a deep fried pie and chips, manna from heaven.

The roll place, at Shandon Bridge? Β Used to beΒ called Malones?

Β 

Can’tΒ remember it’s new name but, we had a pie from there in January this year and it was delish. πŸ‘

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:rofl:Β Will give that a tryΒ 

They’re immense, but you could easily eat half a dozen rapid and still want more.

It’s the gravy too..πŸ˜‹wee things of gorgeousness

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I had a Polish friend drop in unexpectedly recently and I served him an impromptu lunch of Scotch meat pie, piled high with Heinz baked beans.

Β 

He cleared the lot without hardly lifting his head, and said that it was the tastiest thing he'd ever eaten. Probably an exaggeration, but still.

A man after my own heart, the food of champions.Β 

Β 

When I was in Estonia I discovered the meat pancake. Basically just the same questionable 'meat' wrapped in a pancake. Absolutely superb... but might not work with beans.Β 

18 minutes ago, EastOfTheRiver said:

Scotch pie is decent, go to these days steak and haggis pie,Β well fired roll,Β brownΒ sauce, sorted πŸ‘πŸ»Β 

Kilmarnock away, always looked forward to their steak and haggis pie. No more sadly they are on the black list now.

JM Quality Meats (formerly JC Douglas) in St Boswells has an excellent pie.Β  Get one pretty much every fortnight on my way down to Jedburgh. Saying that , this week he seems to haven't forgotten to add salt. :nah:

Β 

When it comes to steak bridies, Cameron's in Forfar is second to none.Β  Usually get one for myself (I try, I really do ... to eat it there and then) and another two to bring home for the family's tea.Β  At 2.60 a pop they're no cheap but you'll struggle to finish it.Β  Proper chunks of prime beef in a stupendous gravy and proper light but substantial pastry. A total winner. :sweeet:

1 hour ago, Gone said:

Used to love a scotch pie but put off by too many greasy ones.Β 

Β 

Steak pie clan here

Get yourself to Bain's. You don't even have to ask for 'Scotch pie' or 'mince pie'. Just ask for a pie.

1 hour ago, Gone said:

Used to love a scotch pie but put off by too many greasy ones.Β 

Β 

Steak pie clan here

At school when I went home for lunch,Β  sometimes it was a Scotch Pie from Greggs after my mum had gone into town. If you left it long enough in the bag, the grease would melt through*

God, they were great.

Β 

As an aside as they were mentioned elsewhere in this thread; macaroni pies remain one of the biggest disappointments in my life.

Β 

Β 

Β 

*maybe not 100% trueΒ 

32 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

JM Quality Meats (formerly JC Douglas) in St Boswells has an excellent pie.Β  Get one pretty much every fortnight on my way down to Jedburgh. Saying that , this week he seems to haven't forgotten to add salt. :nah:

Β 

When it comes to steak bridies, Cameron's in Forfar is second to none.Β  Usually get one for myself (I try, I really do ... to eat it there and then) and another two to bring home for the family's tea.Β  At 2.60 a pop they're no cheap but you'll struggle to finish it.Β  Proper chunks of prime beef in a stupendous gravy and proper light but substantial pastry. A total winner. :sweeet:

Salivating here.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s the gravy too..πŸ˜‹wee things of gorgeousness

Think they put quite a lot of pepper in too, got a very slight kick to them. Laaavly little fingsπŸ₯°πŸ˜‹

8 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Β 

You had me till fruit pudding! Who wants fruit in their fry up? Deviant behaviour!

Β 

It's the same as these weirdo's who like orange chocolate. Why ruin your chocolate with fruit!

Β 

Β 

It's still Mince Pie supper if you get it from the chippy

Do you have tomato in your fry? That's a fruit.Β 

13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I stopped in at Lockerbie on my way home today and went to "The Butchery" and stocked up on Scotch Pies, Macaroni Pies, Bridies, Slice Sausage and Fruit Pudding. Living in England a Scotch Pie is hard to come by but it has to be The King of Pies, truly lovely, even onΒ a roll!

Have you tried you nearest Morrisons? Ours (Berkshire) has a passable effort atΒ a proper pieΒ occasionally.

1 hour ago, CostaJambo said:

Have you tried you nearest Morrisons? Ours (Berkshire) has a passable effort atΒ a proper pieΒ occasionally.

Β 

Their pies are decent, for a supermarket. Nice crisp pastry, which is my number 1 ask for a good pie.

14 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Β 

You had me till fruit pudding! Who wants fruit in their fry up? Deviant behaviour!

Β 

It's the same as these weirdo's who like orange chocolate. Why ruin your chocolate with fruit!

Β 

Β 

It's still Mince Pie supper if you get it from the chippy

Here, leave chocolate orange alone 😑

Β 

I’ll give you fruit pudding in a fry up though :D

Β 

Prefer my mince pie cold with some Lea & Perrins

Β 

Bains pies have a soggy base in my opinion. My mate is friendly with John the manager of Bain's (a Hibby) and when he told him what I had said he just said "Jambo *******"

Β 

Mark McGill's pies are excellent as are his sausage rolls.

Β 

Forsyth's in Peebles are excellent to - had one and a half with tips for my tea last night.

9 hours ago, obua said:

Kilmarnock away, always looked forward to their steak and haggis pie. No more sadly they are on the black list now.

Works around the corner from Brownings, so can still indulge without the deep seated feeling of shame

Π‘Π°Π»Π°Ρ‚Π½Ρ‹Π΅ ΠΏΠ°Π»ΠΎΡ‡ΠΊΠΈ
38 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Works around the corner from Brownings, so can still indulge without the deep seated feeling of shame

Β 

Brownings mince pies :sweeet:

Filled to the brim with mince, just the right amount of spice, not too greasy.Β 

Β 

Fired on a buttery morning roll with brown sauce.Β 

9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Get yourself to Bain's. You don't even have to ask for 'Scotch pie' or 'mince pie'. Just ask for a pie.

Β 

Think I've had one but it's a bit of a treck. They're pretty nippy ain't they? Quite enjoyed it

10 hours ago, obua said:

Β 

Aldi do some of them. Never seen a steak and haggis one though

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

There was a definite time when it became a scotch pie. Most of my life it was just a mince pie then it all changed.Β 

Always a mince pie to me. I only call it Scotch if I feel it's going to avoid confusion.

Β 

In Tynie a few years back, I asked for a mince pie and got the response 'we only have steak and scotch'. I just stared back at the boy until he figured it out.

Carl Fredrickson

My name is Carl and I am a pie addict.Β  Mince pie, steak pie, macaroni pie, currie pie, bean bake, steak pie......any port in a storm.Β 

Β 

The butchers at Craigentinny (Learmonths?) is my go to place for all my pie and pastry needs. Most days I would stop on my way home from work or pop in at lunchtime. They make some strange combos that I dont mind trying and my favorite combo was the mince and curry sauce. Taste sensation.Β 

Β 

They also do awesome steak pies.Β 

Β 

Fortunately for my heart I have only been once since lockdown but boy I would love one (or two) right now.Β 

15 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Where's the best one people have tasted come from?

I think the best one I've ever had was from a butchers in Thornhill.

If you ever find yourself in the Borders then Camerons in Selkirk has the best. The butcher across the street supplies the meat, so the pies are freshly made every morning.

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

The roll place, at Shandon Bridge? Β Used to beΒ called Malones?

Β 

Can’tΒ remember it’s new name but, we had a pie from there in January this year and it was delish. πŸ‘

Β 

McGill's.

Β 

I'm glad he bought it after Malones closed (guy retired I think). That wee strip with the pubs/snooker halls etc would be prime student flat location. Had Malones laid empty I think it might've been the start of more gentrification.

Β 

17 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I stopped in at Lockerbie on my way home today and went to "The Butchery" and stocked up on Scotch Pies, Macaroni Pies, Bridies, Slice Sausage and Fruit Pudding. Living in England a Scotch Pie is hard to come by but it has to be The King of Pies, truly lovely, even onΒ a roll!

Β 

Moved down south around 18 years ago. When I first moved down, I popped in the bakers for half a dozen morning rolls. All I got was a look as if to say "what the feck is a morning roll?" :laugh:Β Β I miss a bridie and a scotch pie too. Iceland sells frozen sliced sausage so occasionally pop in there. fruit pudding and macaroni pies can GTF however, hate them, and don't ever offer me black pudding, hate them too.Β Β 

jambos are go!
11 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Bains and McGills pies are excellent but they are not Scotch Pies . They are mince and gravy pies. Different species.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Β 

McGill's.

Β 

I'm glad he bought it after Malones closed (guy retired I think). That wee strip with the pubs/snooker halls etc would be prime student flat location. Had Malones laid empty I think it might've been the start of more gentrification.

Β 

McGill’s! Β 

Β 

That’s it - thanks. Β 

Β 

I think, if I’ve got the right place, weΒ got the last two seats on a bus to Ibrox from the Hearts club that was ran from the snooker placeΒ you mention. Β I think it was an upstairs place?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Screenshot_20200919-113051_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9a523457a1e5e8f6bead019a0bb0761d.jpg

That looks amazing!

Β 

As much as I love black pudding, I feel it would spoilΒ this delicious looking pie though.

Β 

I’d still eat it like. Β :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

McGill’s! Β 

Β 

That’s it - thanks. Β 

Β 

I think, if I’ve got the right place, weΒ got the last two seats on a bus to Ibrox from the Hearts club that was ran from the snooker placeΒ you mention. Β I think it was an upstairs place?

Β 

The Locarno. The Shandon hasΒ more snooker tables though and I think there's a walkway between the two upstairs, unless I dreamt doing that once.

Β 

Governor Tarkin
14 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Β 

The best Scotch pie I've tasted was from a wee butcher shop in Aviemore. Class.Β 

Β 

If it's Mackinnons of Speyside on the main dragΒ his black pudding and haggis are also top notch.Β