The Scotch Pie.

Dawnrazor

I stopped in at Lockerbie on my way home today and went to "The Butchery" and stocked up on Scotch Pies, Macaroni Pies, Bridies, Slice Sausage and Fruit Pudding. Living in England a Scotch Pie is hard to come by but it has to be The King of Pies, truly lovely, even on a roll!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

There was a definite time when it became a scotch pie. Most of my life it was just a mince pie then it all changed. 

it is still a mince pie to me. People probably got confused about that thing that is sold at christmas masquerading as a pie

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it is still a mince pie to me. People probably got confused about that thing that is sold at christmas masquerading as a pie

Aye, I'm not sure when I started calling them that??

Our large supermarket has Scotch pies, they are exactly what in the old days I was served when I had a pie and chips. As a new bachelor I have had to learn food purchasing and preparing,  a pie twice in about ten days is one of my staples. I am actually no bad wi a plate o mince, and just checked my wifes recipe box and made an excellent stew. I am reverting to the days when my mother was the family cook, and pies and bridies were fairly regular.

38 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I stopped in at Lockerbie on my way home today and went to "The Butchery" and stocked up on Scotch Pies, Macaroni Pies, Bridies, Slice Sausage and Fruit Pudding. Living in England a Scotch Pie is hard to come by but it has to be The King of Pies, truly lovely, even on a roll!

You had me till fruit pudding! Who wants fruit in their fry up? Deviant behaviour!

It's the same as these weirdo's who like orange chocolate. Why ruin your chocolate with fruit!

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There was a definite time when it became a scotch pie. Most of my life it was just a mince pie then it all changed. 

It's still Mince Pie supper if you get it from the chippy

13 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

You had me till fruit pudding! Who wants fruit in their fry up? Deviant behaviour!

Part of my "5 a Day"!!

With some brown sauce, best thing.

If pished, a gravy rich steak bake would be my choice but I'd also buy a Scotch pie to wash down the steak bake.

Edited by kila

Daughter when she is visiting 'home' always takes back down South, some Tattie pies & sliced sausage as she can't get them down in West Sussex.

been here before
53 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Mince Pie, Steak Mince Pie and a Steak Pie are the only 3 valid pies.

Other pies are available such as haggis or Macaroni etc but thats just stuff in a pie case.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Fat bassa

54 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Our large supermarket has Scotch pies, they are exactly what in the old days I was served when I had a pie and chips. As a new bachelor I have had to learn food purchasing and preparing,  a pie twice in about ten days is one of my staples. I am actually no bad wi a plate o mince, and just checked my wifes recipe box and made an excellent stew. I am reverting to the days when my mother was the family cook, and pies and bridies were fairly regular.

Toning wrong with that Bob, good honest food. Though I’ve just realised I’ve not had a bridie in ages, a situation I’ll need to sort as soon as possible. 

Edited by Tazio

54 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

They're lovley cold on a roll Bob!!!

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Fat bassa

Will be after that lot😏, asked for a mince pie at tynecastle, not that long ago and got a funny look.

Eh sorry a scotch pie please, 

J.T.F.Robertson
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

They're lovley cold on a roll Bob!!!

They're "buns" in Bob's neck of the woods.

Where's the best one people have tasted come from?

I think the best one I've ever had was from a butchers in Thornhill.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Back in the day the best pies in Edinburgh were Mason’s at Newhaven by a country mile. Bains are top notch nowadays. 

been here before
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Bakers at Parkead for all your savoury needs is hard to beat. Far superior than the much lauded Baynes.

Bestest pies anywhere though are from Anderson the butchers in North Berwick.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Sounds like you’re adapting well. Stovies  are another easily made staple from my mother’s cooking. As a recently turned veggie I was thankfully surprised at how many options of pies and pastry there are in supermarkets, really helped me adapt at first. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, been here before said:

Bakers at Parkead for all your savoury needs is hard to beat. Far superior than the much lauded Baynes.

My mate Ryan his wife Moya will be glad to hear it, makes them in his house. I think they’re just doing deliveries just now. 

19 minutes ago, been here before said:

Baynes aren’t very good at all.

Bains however...

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Back in the day the best pies in Edinburgh were Mason’s at Newhaven by a country mile. Bains are top notch nowadays. 

Mark McGill makes wonderful pies, he’s got the Butchers in Currie and the bakers at Slateford. He also supplies numerous pubs like the Diggers, big Hun but a hard working and lovely guy nonetheless. 

luckyBatistuta
39 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've not ate them all tonight!!!

Still a fat bassa😁

34 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Will be after that lot😏, asked for a mince pie at tynecastle, not that long ago and got a funny look.

Eh sorry a scotch pie please, 

I always ask for a mince pie too

been here before
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

My mate Ryan his wife Moya will be glad to hear it, makes them in his house. I think they’re just doing deliveries just now. 

Isnt it owned by ex snooker player Murdo McLeod? The pies always seem to be made in the bakers when Im in, theres usually trolleys of them in various states of being madeness.

Pasquale for King
Just now, been here before said:

Isnt it owned by ex snooker player Murdo McLeod? The pies always seem to be made in the bakers when Im in, theres usually trolleys of them in various states of being madeness.

Sorry I meant the Butchers in North Berwick, didn’t make that clear. 

Pasquale for King

The pies are a bit dry at Tynecastle, always have been. The pie machine in the Diggers has a little tray for water, keeps the pies from drying out unless they’ve been in for hours of course. 

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Still a fat bassa😁

I always ask for a mince pie too

Like if you go to the chippie, its a mince pie supper, not a scotch pie supper.

I had a Polish friend drop in unexpectedly recently and I served him an impromptu lunch of Scotch meat pie, piled high with Heinz baked beans.

He cleared the lot without hardly lifting his head, and said that it was the tastiest thing he'd ever eaten. Probably an exaggeration, but still.

been here before
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry I meant the Butchers in North Berwick, didn’t make that clear. 

Ahhh I thought maybe Murdo McLeod had changed his name and now lived in a bakers  😀

The Andersons pies are magic though. Both the steak and the chicken and ham are out this world. Probably last meal on death row stuff...

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The pies are a bit dry at Tynecastle, always have been. The pie machine in the Diggers has a little tray for water, keeps the pies from drying out unless they’ve been in for hours of course. 

The pies at Tynecastle are truly awful. Amongst the worst I think Ive ever had. Its a shite day when I end up having to get one.

Edited by been here before

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Like if you go to the chippie, its a mince pie supper, not a scotch pie supper.

Haha, a scotch pie supper, what numptie would ask for that

been here before
20 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Its "Pukka" pies down here when we to to the rugby, terrible things.

Had them a few times when I was down in Leicester.

You're right, they're pish.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ahhh I thought maybe Murdo McLeod had changed his name and now lived in a bakers  😀

The Andersons pies are magic though. Both the steak and the chicken and ham are out this world. Probably last meal on death row stuff...

The pies at Tynecastle are truly awful. Amongst the worst I think Ive ever had. Its a shite day when I end up having to get one.

The family know their stuff, no doubt about that. 
I actually liked the cheeseburgers, the dried out nature of them appeared for some reason, brown sauce and off we go. 

I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to make my own. Anyone ever had a go?

I see you can even buy the cases online, although they’re ridiculously expensive.

Just now, leginten said:

I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to make my own. Anyone ever had a go?

I see you can even buy the cases online, although they’re ridiculously expensive.

We did some Macaroni Pies with bought cases, worth it, they were great. I'd be interested in your mice filling recipe if yiu have one?

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

We did some Macaroni Pies with bought cases, worth it, they were great. I'd be interested in your mice filling recipe if yiu have one?

I haven’t got that far yet. Just a pie-pedream at the moment. But I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Edited by leginten

I lived in the south-east of England and had to put up with what they call "chippies".

Your choices were:

Steak Pie

Saveloy

Cod or Haddock

That was it.
6 long years I served time in that home counties shitehole until I was able to return to proper Edinburgh chippy food.

3 minutes ago, leginten said:

I haven’t got that far yet. Just a pie-pedream at the moment. But I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Ta👍

The ones I got today were an 8/10, a wee bit more spice and they'd be a god 9, I'd give a mince pie a go if I had a good recipe. 

12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I’m pretty sure it’s mutton, you’d need a lot of mice for just one pie. 

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Why am I not surprised, take it that’s to wash down your white pudding supper:lol:

😅 ya cheeky f****r😅

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’m pretty sure it’s mutton, you’d need a lot of mice for just one pie. 

I think that's right, I'd like to get that authentic grey and congealed look too!