Stendel interview

Newton51

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

I suggested Warnock at the time, but I didn't realise he lives in Cornwall so I doubt he'd have been interested.

I know he went to Boro, but he admires the chairman and they probably pay more than Hearts.

He's got a place up here somewhere. Think it's Dunoon way. That said, he did do an interview with the papers a year or 2 ago saying he would love a go at managing one of the Edinburgh clubs. Said he's always fancied a job in Scotland and that if the phone rang, he would be more than happy to entertain it.

Then again, the mad **** said he was retiring at the start of the year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• GinRummy

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Spellczech

7 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Stendal will be another Sergio - regarded as the right manager, but at the wrong time. 

I believe it is easy to be a "defensive" manager in Scotland as pretty much everyone else is doing it too. Basically we have the OF who can buy 11 players each worth more than about 35 of the Association's member squads. You have a few clubs which occasionally get a manager who puts together a good team for a season then it gets broken up, and you have 2-3 clubs which for some nonsensical reason are willing to spend more than they have to try to be 3rd in the league...

It is not so easy to be an attack-minded manager like Stendal as 1. the players cost more, 2. the officials only protect the OF attackers

1 hour ago, part_time_jambo said:

I think Albert Einstein said something similar. Great minds?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results 

Seymour M Hersh

I like DS and I believe he improved several players in his time with us.  I was disappointed when he left and I still believe he would have done a great job for us. 

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, Locky said:

There is always going to be an element of 'what if' with Herr Stendel. 

What if we hadn't wasted 6 or 7 weeks to appoint someone who's take another 6 or 7 weeks to get his first win. 

24 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Summary

Sie harken in ihren Eimern, um etwas zu essen. Sie finden eine tote Ratte und denken, es ist ein Vergnügen

😂

1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

😂

Just hope Stendel doesn’t read this thread and think he’s the “Sie” in question.

3 minutes ago, leginten said:

Just hope Stendel doesn’t read this thread and think he’s the “Sie” in question.

Hope not too. Just tell him to google football supporters versions of "In your Liverpool homes"!

54 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

What if we hadn't wasted 6 or 7 weeks to appoint someone who's take another 6 or 7 weeks to get his first win. 

Aye tbh, the length it took to get it done wasn't ideal. He was thrown in the deep end with 5 games in 2 weeks, 3 of them against Aberdeen, Celtic and Hibs. A lot hinged on getting results in those games, which we didn't bar a point off the sheep.

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I like DS and I believe he improved several players in his time with us.  I was disappointed when he left and I still believe he would have done a great job for us. 

Absolutely.  I feel exactly the same. 

9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Was his first game not St Johnstone, then Accies away? 

St Johnston

Celtic

Hamilton

Hibs

Aberdeen

As much as I was desperate for him to succeed I saw nothing to suggest he had much of a clue tbh

Our only decent performance were against teams who tried to attack us.  We were clueless otherwise. 

Folk like him because he’s German and that’s ‘cool’ 

I couldn’t give a shit about him really, he failed to turn around loser leveins sinking ship.  Him and levein are history now and I’m glad they will both play no part in the future of the club. 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

St Johnston

Celtic

Hamilton

Hibs

Aberdeen

As much as I was desperate for him to succeed I saw nothing to suggest he had much of a clue tbh

Our only decent performance were against teams who tried to attack us.  We were clueless otherwise. 

That's how I remember it too. 

We actually should have lost more under Stendel, we had a couple of really lucky draws, Hamilton at home and Saints away. The boy was clueless. 

I also remember the games won were all televised live, that squad had a habit of turning up for they kind of matches. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Nice bloke but a one trick pony and complete failure as manager. Not much better than Cathro. 

Was his record not worse than Cathro?

EDIT 

It wasent, he had a 4% better win ratio than Cathro 

Edited by brux

5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's how I remember it too. 

We actually should have lost more under Stendel, we had a couple of really lucky draws, Hamilton at home and Saints away. The boy was clueless. 

I also remember the games won were all televised live, that squad had a habit of turning up for they kind of matches. 

In particular, the two wins against Rangers showed reserves of backbone and determination that were just not on show in other matches, Hibs (once) and Aberdeen excepted. 

A squad that had unfortunately developed a very suspect mentality.

Weakened Offender
Just now, leginten said:

In particular, the two wins against Rangers showed reserves of backbone and determination that were just not on show in other matches, Hibs (once) and Aberdeen excepted. 

A squad that had unfortunately developed a very suspect mentality.

Yup. Unfortunately a few of the main protagonists are still here too although Robbie will know that. 

His approach was admirable, but we simply didn't have the quality in players to implement his style properly. He should have realised this and tweaked his approach. His persistence in playing Pereria left him as culpable as anyone else in our relegation.

9 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

His approach was admirable, but we simply didn't have the quality in players to implement his style properly. He should have realised this and tweaked his approach. His persistence in playing Pereria left him as culpable as anyone else in our relegation.

Can we not agree never to mention his name on JKB? The goalie who could not stop a shot...

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Can we not agree never to mention his name on JKB? The goalie who could not stop a shot...

I was actually going to do that but thought it was a bit petty? 😅

Ultimately his failure to get players motivated to beat a very poor St Midden meant we would have been facing a tough ask even if covid hadn't stopped the season. We can blame everyone else that was involved before but that was billed as our biggest game of the season. The fans new it, the press new it and St Midden new it but our players didn't appear to get the message. You can't blame one manager for his failures then absolve another for the same failures. 

Mid Calder Jambo
23 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

My German isn’t great but listening to Daniel speak English used to do my nut in and that didn’t cost a penny. 

One of the reasons IMHO that he didn't get more out of the players at the time.  We needed someone who not only could speak the lingo but who wasn't scared to put underperformers up against a wall. Other than that thought he was a decent enough guy.

29 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

Daniel was a football manager not a magician and that's what  we needed after the mess Levein left 

It’s a real shame how it turned out. The players bought into Daniels philosophy when they could be bothered and thankfully Robbie has shown some of them (though not enough of them) the door. 

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s a real shame how it turned out. The players bought into Daniels philosophy when they could be bothered and thankfully Robbie has shown some of them (though not enough of them) the door. 

Thank you. i feel a gulp thinking about him sitting wondering what he was to do , it was over for him. 

On 18/09/2020 at 14:25, EH11 2NL said:

Exactly. And repeatedly sat the last man on the half way line whist we went game after game conceding multiple goals.

Yep & just watched highlights of East Fife game last night & Halkett just as culpable of misjudging high ball over the top as he was last season  liability, get rid asap

5 minutes ago, airthjambo said:

Yep & just watched highlights of East Fife game last night & Halkett just as culpable of misjudging high ball over the top as he was last season  liability, get rid asap

Defensive midfielder?

Just now, airthjambo said:

Not a defender at all IMO, only good at attacking ball in opposition box

😀 it was a shot in the dark tbh. He does have something about him bit he struggles defensively, which isn’t great for a defender. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😀 it was a shot in the dark tbh. He does have something about him bit he struggles defensively, which isn’t great for a defender. 

He was a forward at the huns, battering ram at Livi.  

On 18/09/2020 at 15:58, sassenach said:

I suggested Warnock at the time, but I didn't realise he lives in Cornwall so I doubt he'd have been interested.

I know he went to Boro, but he admires the chairman and they probably pay more than Hearts.

Also has a house in Rothesay on the Isle of Bute 

On 18/09/2020 at 13:54, jonnothejambo said:

Decent bloke but I don't buy any of this wrong time guff. 

He repeatedly picked poppadom paws when it was obvious the useless streak of pish couldn't catch a cold. 

That ultimately cost us dear and for that he is culpable.  

I won't go into the previous regime......

Maybe he's no good at goalkeepers and his strength lies in outfield players. 

Still, a blind man could see Joel Pereira was worse than a one armed zibby. 

A blind man could also play in goals ahead of Pereira 👍

Edited by Smoked-Glass

If we had appointed Robbie instead of Stendel last November, we'd probably have finished Top 6.

Stendel somehow managed to take an underperforming Levein side and make them worse.

I know we are still in pre-season but the turnaround in attitude at the club since Robbie's return has been palpable and good to see us playing a commonsense 4231 with everyone in their right positions again.

In summary Neilson is a far, far better Manager than Stendel.

On 18/09/2020 at 18:59, Jambo92 said:

I think we all mis judged how bad things were when we sacked Levein, and I thought it was pretty bad.  The players were absolutely bereft of any confidence, we had a massive gaping hole in our midfield (i still think we do today) and at keys ends of the pitch we were absolute powder puff.

Just have to look at the Spurs doc on Amazon to see how hard it is to get players out of a rut. That group got to the Champions league final the year before. Yes we have/had good players in that squad but ability doesn't beat willingness in Scottish football, Hamilton, St Mirren etc. wanted it more.

If Hamilton and St Midden wanted it more, says more about our players than the manager.

Mind you his tactics were all over the shop.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Take away his final match,  the week previous was highly impressive and showed he had learned and tempered his natural instincts. 

Great pity we will never know 

14 hours ago, airthjambo said:

Totally agree mate, he'll chip in with a few goals but concede more through silly mistakes. Not a great quality for a defender 

Austin MacGlee
2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

If we had appointed Robbie instead of Stendel last November, we'd probably have finished Top 6.

Stendel somehow managed to take an underperforming Levein side and make them worse.

I know we are still in pre-season but the turnaround in attitude at the club since Robbie's return has been palpable and good to see us playing a commonsense 4231 with everyone in their right positions again.

Couldn't agree more. I was worried when Stendel was being talked about seriously as Levein's replacement. I couldn't for the life of me see how that squad of slow shite could ever execute Stendel's methods to the point where we'd be successful.

I like him as a guy and if he'd been an early summer appointment with time to bring in his players and implement his style and methods it would've been fine.

When Levein was punted we needed someone who would galvanise the support and make the best of what he had with the squad. I wanted Warnock from the off but Robbie would've dragged us right up that table too.

Just another notch on Budge's poor recruitment bed post. 

Austin could’ve stayed on and we could’ve/would’ve achieved the same result as DS. The squad was rank and full of non triers and imposters. Klopp would’ve struggled to get a tune out of that garbage. 

I felt sorry for Jorg Sievers as he gave up a very secure job to become Daniels 2IC at an absolute shit show. Daniel tried to change things around too quickly with his geggenpress and should’ve grasped the reality that the shit he had to work with, weren’t capable of implementing his philosophy. He’s as culpable as the rest for taking us down a place and keeping us there. St liedown was just the icing on the cake for me. 80 mins without a shot at goal. No clue, no bottle no fight and no interest. The whole squad for me should be let go barring less than half a dozen. The feeling of achievement when we drew with Motherwell at home was a marker of how bereft of confidence that squad was. We were beaten before we even left the dressing room. I hope we never see the likes again. 

The levien, Cathro, Macphee, amd Stendal experiment has cost us so dearly and not just in terms of finances. . Throw covid into the mix and we’ve a long way to come back to even normality. We should come back up this season, pandemic permitting, and get the rest of Leveins duds out the door. 

This is a bitter pill that I feel we’ll all be swallowing for a long time to come! 

PS....still got a DS Vorsprung durch Technik, This is our Castle big flag going free to a good home lol. Would make a nice table cloth for an outdoor BBQ area 

Nice man but ultimately couldn’t make a bunch of players who, on paper, were much better than the other teams around us,  good enough to stay up.

For me he tried to do too much and left us in the position we ended up in due to his baffling decision to keep poppadom hands in goal. 

We should’ve bought someone in to make us more solid, not change an entire style of football midway through a season.

Bringing in a manager with virtually no knowledge of Scottish football in the middle of a season when we were struggling towards the bottom of the league was a big mistake. The truth is that at the time, neither the club nor most of the fans believed we were in serious danger of going down. I remember looking at how he had the team set up in some of the early games and thinking how naive it looked.

We are where we are though, and we need to look forward. At least in Robbie we have a manager who knows the club and Scottish football inside out.   

In retrospect, we needed to bring in fire fighter to get us out of trouble, not an idealist.

The games in which we were good under DS, Aberdeen at home, Rangers x2 at home and Hibs away, the football was as good as I've seen us play under any manager.

Ultimately if you are going to go down the route of appointing a manager with a philosophy, the ideal time is very early in pre season to give him adequate time to both coach the players in his tactics and also to bring in players suited to playing them.

What Hearts did was throw him into a situation with an injury ravaged squad, McLean was the only fit senior forward to begin with. The players were bereft of confidence and had been recruited to play the more pragmatic style of Levein. We also didn't recruit his coaching staff until several weeks after the appointment. When you look at it in this context, it's perhaps no surprise that he didn't make the impact we'd hoped for.

It's still a style of football I would like to see at Hearts some day.

been here before

Talking of Stendal, whatever happened to the overnight JKB experts in gegenpressen and its nuances who would regaile us with their big brainy heids about how he was going to revolutionise things Deutscher style.

13 hours ago, David McCaig said:

If MK Dons appointed Neilson instead of Stendel they would have probably have finished top half of League 1 instead of relegated. There’s no evidence at all he’s a far far better manager either.  He failed to take Dundee Utd up first time remember. Shat the bed against St Mirren

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

Talking of Stendal, whatever happened to the overnight JKB experts in gegenpressen and its nuances who would regaile us with their big brainy heids about how he was going to revolutionise things Deutscher style.

They now say Stendel was shite all along and all hail Ann Budge 👍

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

If MK Dons appointed Neilson instead of Stendel they would have probably have finished top half of League 1 instead of relegated. There’s no evidence at all he’s a far far better manager either.  He failed to take Dundee Utd up first time remember. Shat the bed against St Mirren

How about his Hearts record?

Championship Winners

SPL 3rd

SPL 2nd at time of departure.