Mountain biking

IronJambo

Just ordered a wee mountain bike for my soon to be 6 year old and I need to get one for myself as well as I'm planning on taking him on trails. Anyone got any recommendations for a bike with a £500 budget?

I'm 41 and a novice, is this going to be the end of me?

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Just ordered a wee mountain bike for my soon to be 6 year old and I need to get one for myself as well as I'm planning on taking him on trails. Anyone got any recommendations for a bike with a £500 budget?

I'm 41 and a novice, is this going to be the end of me?

They seem to be in short supply just now, I was trying tobget a Treck for my son a month ago and November was the earliest we could get one.

You’ll be fine. For that kind of price you can’t beat the Voodoo bikes from Halfords. Whatever you do don’t even think about full suspension, anything under about £1200 is basically a bouncy death trap. 
this one is bang on your budget, hydraulic disc brakes are a bonus at this price 

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bantu-mens-mountain-bike---16in-18in-20in-22in-frames-445828.html

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

They seem to be in short supply just now, I was trying tobget a Treck for my son a month ago and November was the earliest we could get one.

Try Criterium Cycles. I just bought a Trek Marlin 7 2021 from him. The guys names Paul, seems like a good guy. I think they purely do Trek bikes. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You’ll be fine. For that kind of price you can’t beat the Voodoo bikes from Halfords. Whatever you do don’t even think about full suspension, anything under about £1200 is basically a bouncy death trap. 
this one is bang on your budget, hydraulic disc brakes are a bonus at this price 

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bantu-mens-mountain-bike---16in-18in-20in-22in-frames-445828.html

The Voodoo Bikes are good bikes. Defo. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Try Criterium Cycles. I just bought a Trek Marlin 7 2021 from him. The guys names Paul, seems like a good guy. I think they purely do Trek bikes. 

Cheers, I'll look them up👍

Just now, Cruyff said:

I'd look at these site, Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles and Evans mate. 

Calibre, Cube, Specialized, Vitus, Trek, Voodoo all make good bikes. 

My son has his heart set on a Treck, hopefully we'll get one for him.

11 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, I had a struggle for my lad as well. Been all over the web trying to source one and I've ended up buying an Orbea MX20 Dirt from a shop in Glasgow. It should be noted that I'm in Berkshire.

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Cheers. I'm doing my best to avoid Halfords but I'll definitely take a look 

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My son has his heart set on a Treck, hopefully we'll get one for him.

That boy will sort you out I think. He's got Trek Marlin, 5,6,7 then they get a bit too pricey and start moving into pro/elite hardtail and full suspension ones. 

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Cheers. I'm doing my best to avoid Halfords but I'll definitely take a look 

I’ve got no time for them and wouldn’t give them the steam off my pish normally but those are decent bikes, same as when they sold Boardman. 
You could go down the 2nd hand route but it can be a minefield if you’re not into your bikes. A basic rule I find is the if the ad has loads of details about the bike which look a bit geeky it means the person selling is a proper cyclist and it will be decent. If it says “men’s bike suits 5’10” they either don’t know or it’s stolen. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve got no time for them and wouldn’t give them the steam off my pish normally but those are decent bikes, same as when they sold Boardman. 
You could go down the 2nd hand route but it can be a minefield if you’re not into your bikes. A basic rule I find is the if the ad has loads of details about the bike which look a bit geeky it means the person selling is a proper cyclist and it will be decent. If it says “men’s bike suits 5’10” they either don’t know or it’s stolen. 

Haha yeah I don't have an issue with 2nd hand but I would need my hand held when I was buying 🤣. I reached out to a couple of mates that are into cycling but mountain biking isn't their field. I think I need to try them for size as well, I've not had bike in my entire adult life.

44 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've still got a 4 times used boardman sitting doing nothing. 

Would hate to sell it but hey. £250

At least three of the JKB rules have been broken here.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

At least three of the JKB rules have been broken here.

Who cares. I'd probably be all over it if he wasn't so far away.

8 minutes ago, Boof said:

@Dunks for advice?

Did the guy who named himself after the top lip of a full-back we had circa 1986, not own a bike shop in Edinburgh?

Edited by Morgan

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Did the guy who named himself after the top lip of a full-back we had aka 1986, not own a bike shop in Edinburgh?

Electric bikes mainly I seem to remember. 

29 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Why did the mountain biker kill all his friends?

He was a cycle path.

Damnit, I thought it was the crazy tarmac that done that.

Halfords for kids bikes? Absolutely.

Any adult going to Halfords for a mountain bike is asking for trouble.

Do your homework and you’ll find they are bollocks. If you can do it, spend a wee bit more and you’ll get a far better spec bike that will last and not have you back at the bike shop every other week. 

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Electric bikes mainly I seem to remember. 

He’s actually got 2 shops, one at each end of a tenement block on Granton Road. One is definitely electric bikes but the other appears to supply normal bikes and modded bikes. 

52 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Seen a couple of guys at Threipmuir Reservoir with Harley Davidson electric assisted bikes.

The bikes looked quite impressive.

Harleys eh quality.

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

This!   Get a hardtail and you'll be sorted.

I used to do a fair bit of Mountain Biking and never had any issues other than white knuckles.  The first time I went to Glentress on a rented full suspension bike I just about died, and that was just in the wee jump park bit! :lol: 

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Completely agree. Full suspension is absolutely the way to go if you are doing the hill trails properly & not just the walkways and flat paths etc. I used to have a hard tail and swapped for a full sus Giant. Cost £2500 and got it set up properly. Its the dugz but youre right, dont go full sus unless you are investing on a decent bit of kit or theyre just death traps!

For the OP:

Plenty hard tail options (means just front suspension only) and they are really good now with proper tyres, brakes and decent geometry. You will have a blast!

Get a helmet as well. Dont scrimp on that part. Could save your life!

I'm 50 and carrying about 2 stone too much so the OP shouldn't be worrying about being 41. I often head up to the Pentlands or the borders and theres older (& fatter) than me doing it too.

FFS dont buy a "hybrid", they're brilliant for commuting but shit for everything else off the beaten track.

Edited by Pans Jambo

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Completely agree. Full suspension is absolutely the way to go if you are doing the hill trails properly & not just the walkways and flat paths etc. I used to have a hard tail and swapped for a full sus Giant. Cost £2500 and got it set up properly. Its the dugz but youre right, dont go full sus unless you are investing on a decent bit of kit or theyre just death traps!

For the OP:

Plenty hard tail options (means just front suspension only) and they are really good now with proper tyres, brakes and decent geometry. You will have a blast!

Get a helmet as well. Dont scrimp on that part. Could save your life!

I'm 50 and carrying about 2 stone too much so the OP shouldn't be worrying about being 41. I often head up to the Pentlands or the borders and theres older (& fatter) than me doing it too.

FFS dont buy a "hybrid", they're brilliant for commuting but shit for everything else off the beaten track.

Helmets a good point. I bought a bike, never bothered with the helmet park. Any recommendations on helmets? 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Helmets a good point. I bought a bike, never bothered with the helmet park. Any recommendations on helmets? 

Again, the choices are huge. There is slight difference in how the MTB helmets look and the road bikers helmets look but to be honest, I'm in the camp of "as long as you have one".

Theres a decent one. (same one is a tenner dearer in Hallys):

https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/helmets-c8/giro-fixture-helmet-p46031/s130802?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=giro-fixture-helmet-matte-black-unisize-54-61cm-colour-matt-black-si-colour-matt-black-size-unisize-54-61cm-gihfixb&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2Yw_3aWv7G5zMSFAI2pueNzT_4oHuwytUHnnIdYtPoLKMhyexpYNwgaAqBBEALw_wcB

If you shop around you can usually get a good deal. Just put "MTB Helmet UK" into a search engine.

In terms of a helmet I wouldn’t buy one online. They are very much a try before you buy kind of thing as they all fit very differently. I used to always wear one off-road and not bother in town, now I won’t leave the house without one but struggled to find one I felt comfy in, eventually found a good Louis Garneau one in Evans and now it probably needs replaced they don’t seem to sell in the UK. It’s got a removable peak so works on or off road, as the position on my road/cross bike means a peak blocks my vision so I get a sore neck having to look up all the time. To me after fit the most important thing is getting one with good ventilation as being too hot can make your time on the bike in summer miserable and in winter wear a cap or liner under it. 

Edited by Tazio

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In terms of a helmet I wouldn’t buy one online. They are very much a try before you buy kind of thing as they all fit very differently. I used to always wear one off-road and not bother in town, now I won’t leave the house without one but struggled to find one I felt comfy in, eventually found a good Louis Garneau one in Evans and now it probably needs replaced they don’t seem to sell in the UK. It’s got a removable peak so works on or off road, as the position on my road/cross bike means a peak blocks my vision so I get a sore neck having to look up all the time. To me after fit the most important thing is getting one with good ventilation as being too hot can make your time on the bike in summer miserable and in winter wear a cap or liner under it. 

Might be confusing the OP. (Most) helmets nowadays have a ratchet adjuster at the rear of the helmet and fully adjustable chin straps plus the padded felt sticky things to place where you want them. As long as you measure the circumference of your noggin and buy a helmet within the size range you should be good to go.

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

As long as you measure the circumference of your noggin and buy a helmet within the size range you should be good to go.

Well that’s the idea, maybe I’ve just got an odd shaped head. I still think the best thing is to go to a shop, see one in your price range you like the look of and try it. MET helmets just don’t work for me as an example, which is annoying as they make some nice ones. 

Cheers guys, it like like there's some very sound advice on here. It's got to be the budget range for now I'm afraid so front suspension only. Future use will be dictated by how much my lad gets into it but I'm hoping he really goes for it as it'll keep him away from the skate park. 

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Cheers guys, it like like there's some very sound advice on here. It's got to be the budget range for now I'm afraid so front suspension only. Future use will be dictated by how much my lad gets into it but I'm hoping he really goes for it as it'll keep him away from the skate park. 

Mind the stabilisers are extra.

31 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Mind the stabilisers are extra.

I might need them but the boys been riding his bike since not long after he turned 4.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I might need them but the boys been riding his bike since not long after he turned 4.

👍

Good luck.

Hopefully there are decent places for cycling where you live.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Again, the choices are huge. There is slight difference in how the MTB helmets look and the road bikers helmets look but to be honest, I'm in the camp of "as long as you have one".

Theres a decent one. (same one is a tenner dearer in Hallys):

https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/helmets-c8/giro-fixture-helmet-p46031/s130802?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=giro-fixture-helmet-matte-black-unisize-54-61cm-colour-matt-black-si-colour-matt-black-size-unisize-54-61cm-gihfixb&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2Yw_3aWv7G5zMSFAI2pueNzT_4oHuwytUHnnIdYtPoLKMhyexpYNwgaAqBBEALw_wcB

If you shop around you can usually get a good deal. Just put "MTB Helmet UK" into a search engine.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

So, I've had a look. 

Can you's shed any light on whether a MIPs one is worth the cash? Or whether a good ordinary one would do the job. What would you guys do? 

16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

So, I've had a look. 

Can you's shed any light on whether a MIPs one is worth the cash? Or whether a good ordinary one would do the job. What would you guys do? 

I’ve never had or tried a MIPS helmet, if the technology works as they say it seems a good idea. My personal feeling is that if it meets the necessary safety standards then that is enough unless you were to stack at serious speed or impact. I would always be looking to get the lightest weight I can afford as comfort is the thing. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve never had or tried a MIPS helmet, if the technology works as they say it seems a good idea. My personal feeling is that if it meets the necessary safety standards then that is enough unless you were to stack at serious speed or impact. I would always be looking to get the lightest weight I can afford as comfort is the thing. 

Cheers Tazio 👍 

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My sons bike arrived yesterday, so, what's the best way to mark or identify it as his incase in gets nicked? 

Check for a serial number on the frame, take photo's? 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Check for a serial number on the frame, take photo's? 

Ah, aye, never thought of that!!

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

My sons bike arrived yesterday, so, what's the best way to mark or identify it as his incase in gets nicked? 

I’m not sure if they still do it but there used to be a scheme where if you took it to a local police station they would write a unique number on the frame in UV pen. Invisible until a UV light is shone on it. 

31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure if they still do it but there used to be a scheme where if you took it to a local police station they would write a unique number on the frame in UV pen. Invisible until a UV light is shone on it. 

It's got to be a bloody expensive bike to go through that shit, personally i would just keep it in the house, ha. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

21 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Register it here: https://www.bikeregister.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXuL9nohMjKH3BpjticoTPeTQ8orbs__cYiu-2xluZW3T5EGnB6ONOxoChwsQAvD_BwE

Mine and my lads bike are in a bike shed in the car park so they're insured. £25 for each bike pretty much.