Garage Door Lock

luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

Alright folks, need your help please.

I cannot get into my garage, as the lock doesn’t seem to want to turn. I’ve been at it for hours now😞 It just won’t turn and I don’t want to snap the key in the lock. I could probably drill the lock out, but the drill is inside the garage🙄 Anybody got any ideas or good advice.

All sensible advice welcome (it is JKB after all)🤣

A wee picture of the lock...and yes it is my garage😁

061D6AF7-6D6F-4896-99D5-017ECDB7EB50.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Horatio Caine said:

WD40?  Seems to cure everything.  a bit like the Jannie's sawdust bucket.

Sprayed loads of WD40 on it the other day when it started to play up...and yes, the WD40 is in there too🙄

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sprayed loads of WD40 on it the other day when it started to play up...and yes, the WD40 is in there too🙄

Baws.  Nae luck!

18 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I know, really need in there. Moving house in 3 weeks too😞

go buy some more WD40 and try it, or do you have a mate who can lend you a drill?

Failing those attach a towrope to it and the back of your taxi and you will be in it in no time

highlandjambo3

Using one other person, get them to push the bottom of the door hard inward just to the side of the lock, this could take pressure off the lock mechanism as you turn the key.........alternatively, push in the top of the garage door putting the reverse amount of pressure off the lock.....try it a few times either way.

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

go buy some more WD40 and try it, or do you have a mate who can lend you a drill?

Failing those attach a towrope to it and the back of your taxi and you will be in it in no time

Knew there would be one🤣

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Cover yourself in WD40 first mate👍🏼

Thought you’d be the first 🤣

8 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Using one other person, get them to push the bottom of the door hard inward just to the side of the lock, this could take pressure off the lock mechanism as you turn the key.........alternatively, push in the top of the garage door putting the reverse amount of pressure off the lock.....try it a few times either way.

👍 will give it a go

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Could you have used the wrong key in it at some point and kind of half turned the lock so now the right key won’t fit. 

Nope, right key has always been used, pretty sure the barrel is goosed.

Put a post on Hibs.net saying where the garage is and you've left your stash in there, give it about 15 minutes and it'll be open!

luckyBatistuta
29 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Put a post on Hibs.net saying where the garage is and you've left your stash in there, give it about 15 minutes and it'll be open!

Can I think about it 🤔🤣🤪

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

🤣towrope, i have a locksmiths number if you want it LB.

Edited by Harry Potter

19 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Alright folks, need your help please.

I cannot get into my garage, as the lock doesn’t seem to want to turn. I’ve been at it for hours now😞 It just won’t turn and I don’t want to snap the key in the lock. I could probably drill the lock out, but the drill is inside the garage🙄 Anybody got any ideas or good advice.

All sensible advice welcome (it is JKB after all)🤣

A wee picture of the lock...and yes it is my garage😁

061D6AF7-6D6F-4896-99D5-017ECDB7EB50.jpeg

You tried spraying some 3 in 1 oil in it yet?  Wd40 usually for when it's frozen.  Try clean it out first, with a thin item incase it has some build up of crap ☺  maybe an old milk bottle brush. 

Never seen or used your lock but my method works for padlocks at least. 

Edited by HMFC01

Had a similar issue with a garage door a few years back. Got to the stage where I was considering just reversing my car into it as I was pissed off. Just got out one of those garage door companies and they opened it. I later paid a builder to knock a hole in the wall and put in a 2nd door entrance from my utility room. 
Anyway, I have moved now and dont have a garage anymore so good luck with it 😄

Could something have fallen in the garage, stopping the bars at the back of the door from moving?  If they can't move I doubt the lock would turn. If it was this, maybe some heft kicks might dislodge whatever it is. Though I'd imagine, if you haven't got it open yet it might already have received those kicks.

luckyBatistuta
19 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

🤣towrope, i have a locksmiths number if you want it LB.

I’ve found the lock on Amazon and I’m going to try and drill it out, but I’ll still take it off you bud in case I blow it👍

19 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Well this is extremely :pleasing:

If I had a hammer...but it’s in the garage🤣

2 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

You tried spraying some 3 in 1 oil in it yet?  Wd40 usually for when it's frozen.  Try clean it out first, with a thin item incase it has some build up of crap ☺  maybe an old milk bottle brush. 

Never seen or used your lock but my method works for padlocks at least. 

Done that, nothing😞

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Had a similar issue with a garage door a few years back. Got to the stage where I was considering just reversing my car into it as I was pissed off. Just got out one of those garage door companies and they opened it. I later paid a builder to knock a hole in the wall and put in a 2nd door entrance from my utility room. 
Anyway, I have moved now and dont have a garage anymore so good luck with it 😄

Cheers 🙏

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Could something have fallen in the garage, stopping the bars at the back of the door from moving?  If they can't move I doubt the lock would turn. If it was this, maybe some heft kicks might dislodge whatever it is. Though I'd imagine, if you haven't got it open yet it might already have received those kicks.

It’s definitely the barrel bud