Haymarket

FWJ

6 hours ago, FWJ said:

It’s LAWN-market and GRASS-market but is it HAY-market or Hay-MARK-et?

Hay-MARK-et for me. Dalkeith is another one. Edinburgh folk tend to pronounce it DalKEITH whereas locals would say DALkeith.

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hay-MARK-et for me. Dalkeith is another one. Edinburgh folk tend to pronounce it DalKEITH whereas locals would say DALkeith.

DollKeith Sharley. 

56 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aye you're right about Dalkeith. My girlfriend is from there and we've had many a discussion about the pronunciation. She pronounced it like you said, Daal-keith. 

For Haymarket, I've said it out loud now on my own to see how I say it. If I say it on its own, I tend to emphasise the 'MARK' part, but if I say it in a list with Grassmarket and Lawnmarket, then I pronounce it the same as those 2. Strange.

24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The most important thing as long as you guys remember to get off at Haymarket.

😉

Going all the way to Waverley could land you in trouble😉

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The most important thing as long as you guys remember to get off at Haymarket.

😉

🤣. Was it not Billy Connolly who said even wild horses wouldn't drag him off at Haymarket😂

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

🤣. Was it not Billy Connolly who said even wild horses wouldn't drag him off at Haymarket😂

Maybe he did but that particular saying was on the go before Billy Connolly.

15 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Maybe he did but that particular saying was on the go before Billy Connolly.

Yes, I know that, it was before my time too. I'd never heard the expression until my Dad mentioned it several years ago.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I know that, it was before my time too. I'd never heard the expression until my Dad mentioned it several years ago.

I suspect our younger Kickbackers will be wondering what the hell are they on about.

:)

48 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I suspect our younger Kickbackers will be wondering what the hell are they on about.

:)

🤣. Yes, definitely showing our age

6 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Is it The Pons or The Pans? And my dottery auld dad pronounces Tranent as Turnent!

"lie forrut Turnent!!" An auld guy used to shout this when I saw them play Whitehill Welfare.

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

"lie forrut Turnent!!" An auld guy used to shout this when I saw them play Whitehill Welfare.

Aha....this is maybe where he gets it. My dad played Secondary Juvenile way back in 50's/60s (be damned if I can remember who for). It sounds like an old time thing.

1 minute ago, EH11_2NL said:

Aha....this is maybe where he gets it. My dad played Secondary Juvenile way back in 50's/60s (be damned if I can remember who for). It sounds like an old time thing.

The guy was 80 if he was a day and this was about 1978ish.

My missus broke her ankle a few weeks back and she’s doin ma nut in when I hear her telling folk she’s had an x-RAY (emphasis on RAY). 

Surely to **** it’s EX-ray, emphasis on EX?...which is what she’ll soon be if she doesnae learn to talk properly ffs 🥴

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

My missus broke her ankle a few weeks back and she’s doin ma nut in when I hear her telling folk she’s had an x-RAY (emphasis on RAY). 

Surely to **** it’s EX-ray, emphasis on EX?...which is what she’ll soon be if she doesnae learn to talk properly ffs 🥴

is she still managing to cook your meals and do the housework?

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

is she still managing to cook your meals and do the housework?

Had a wee camping stove gathering dust up the attic. It’s been a godsend. Sits just nicely next to her chair. Saying that tho, she made a right song and dance aboot her having to get up there to bring it down. 

Best of it was it was MY suggestion that she go get it. I was only thinkin of her ffs, and where’s the thanks? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Had a wee camping stove gathering dust up the attic. It’s been a godsend. Sits just nicely next to her chair. Saying that tho, she made a right song and dance aboot her having to get up there to bring it down. 

Best of it was it was MY suggestion that she go get it. I was only thinkin of her ffs, and where’s the thanks? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

:lol: