That's another fine mess.

ri Alban

been here before

Another Fine Mess was the name of a film they made but the line "another fine mess" was never spoken in a film by eithrr of them.

The line "well, heres another nice mess..." was used many times though.

Edited by been here before

Been watching some of their stuff online during lockdown. The army one with the crow in it was superb. Sons of the desert and Way out West fantastic as well. Mad to think these films are approaching 100 years old. Hadn’t watched them since they were on tv during school holidays in the 80’s. 

Edited by GinRummy

millerjames398

Classic..and the bald fella with the moustache who played the stooge to laurel and hardy, I'm sure he was a guy called james finlayson, a famous son from my neck of the woods in larbert..incidentally the creators of the Simpsons apparently used his D'oh catchphrase for homer Simpson in the series..

Their stuff used to be pretty much locked out of YouTube but seems more available now which is good news. People used to post videos but use Stan And Bran So you could find them as that is what they were called in some countries. 

Yep, they were amazing. It's a real shame that their films and shorts - and those of Buster Keaton and the Marx Brothers, for example - are no longer ever shown on terrestrial TV. Same with the old Fred Quimby-produced Tom & Jerry cartoons, and the Warner Brothers ones of the same era.

I feel lucky to have grown-up with all of these as a background to my childhood and teenage years.

The Music Box is a Laurel and Hardy short film comedy released in 1932. It was directed by James Parrott, produced by Hal Roach and distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

The film, which depicts the pair attempting to move a piano up a long flight of steps, won the first Academy Award for Best Live Action Short (Comedy) in 1932.

In 1997, it was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "'culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.'"

48 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, they were amazing. It's a real shame that their films and shorts - and those of Buster Keaton and the Marx Brothers, for example - are no longer ever shown on terrestrial TV. Same with the old Fred Quimby-produced Tom & Jerry cartoons, and the Warner Brothers ones of the same era.

I feel lucky to have grown-up with all of these as a background to my childhood and teenage years.

Add Abbott and Costello to that list and you've got the full set. 👍

30 minutes ago, graygo said:

Add Abbott and Costello to that list and you've got the full set. 👍

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

:notsure:

Yeah, got to go with Taz on that one: Bud & Lou were nowhere near the level of Stan & Olly, as far as I'm concerned.

22 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Nicola Sturgeon: Salmond's deputy is on the brink of unprecedented power |  Alex Salmond | The Guardian     " Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into."

:jj_facepalm:

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yeah, got to go with Taz on that one: Bud & Lou were nowhere near the level of Stan & Olly, as far as I'm concerned.

Neither were Buster Keaton and the Marx Brothers but they made the list. ☹️

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Neither were Buster Keaton and the Marx Brothers but they made the list. ☹️

In your opinion, not mine!   :thumbsup:

Grew up watching them as my dad was a huge fan.    Both of them were geniuses.   The genius was always in the comic timing of the chaotic slapstick and the facial expressions in the looks to camera,  etc.    Less so in the oral content.    Comedy of a long passed era that's never been rivalled or developed upon.    

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Grew up watching them as my dad was a huge fan.    Both of them were geniuses.   The genius was always in the comic timing of the chaotic slapstick and the facial expressions in the looks to camera,  etc.    Less so in the oral content.    Comedy of a long passed era that's never been rivalled or developed upon.    

Agree completely.  So much of their comedy was visual, ingeniously devised and acted - and of course the contrast between the physical attributes of the 2.    There was an interesting feature about Stan on R.Scotland about a year ago - mentioned his accidental "stumble" into comedy while on stage..... and also the struggle he had to develop his career prior to meeting Ollie, which was greatly helped by the unknown (at the time) Charlie Chaplin.  As others have said, it's hard not to laugh even now when you see clips from their films.    The Steve Coogan film was  a great tribute, laced with the tragedy of seeing their demise.

2 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Classic..and the bald fella with the moustache who played the stooge to laurel and hardy, I'm sure he was a guy called james finlayson, a famous son from my neck of the woods in larbert..incidentally the creators of the Simpsons apparently used his D'oh catchphrase for homer Simpson in the series..

Yes ..... that's correct.     Feature about him in the Falkirk Herald last year -

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/stan-and-ollies-third-man-real-larbert-hero-957321

As regards the origins of "D'oh" ,   we should perhaps  give  a joint credit to Peter Glaze in the late 60s.           

"It's Friday.... it's 5 to 5 ....... it's time for Crackerjack" 

Edited by Lone Striker

3 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Finlayson was actually planned to be a big star and L&H were simply the support act.

Audiences never took to him and he was eventually moved down the billing and became a recurring star in L&H films.

37 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

Operator: Long distance from Atlanta, Georgia.

Stan: It sure is. (Hangs up the phone).

A lot of the verbal stuff was pretty surreal for the time. 
It still makes me laugh that they had a dog called Laughing Gravy.  

Love the anecdote about Stan's daughter saying she was afraid of Uncle Ollie as he was always beating up her dad on screen.

Next film they made had Stan beating the shite out of Ollie.

:greggy:

Edited by Cade

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Love the anecdote about Stan's daughter saying she was afraid of Uncle Ollie as he was always beating up her dad on screen.

Next film they made had Stan beating the shite out of Ollie.

Stan was the king of the sneaky kick or punch. 

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes ..... that's correct.     Feature about him in the Falkirk Herald last year -

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/stan-and-ollies-third-man-real-larbert-hero-957321

As regards the origins of "D'oh" ,   we should perhaps  give  a joint credit to Peter Glaze in the late 60s.           

"It's Friday.... it's 5 to 5 ....... it's time for Crackerjack" 

Thats the article i read it in, it was actually a old boy i worked with who told me about it years ago, but he could never mind the guys name, to my shame i thought he was slaverin single fish😆, until the herald had their piece on the guy,  obviously had to google him as well to get more of his story, quite interesting 👍🏼

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Finlayson was actually planned to be a big star and L&H were simply the support act.

Audiences never took to him and he was eventually moved down the billing and became a recurring star in L&H films.

Aye, I'm sure i read it could have been a toss up, between finlayson and either laurel or hardy as a duo as well, but laurel and hardy got the nod so to speak.

14 hours ago, graygo said:

Essential Saturday morning viewing for me along with Casey Jones.

followed by the bananna splits.

Borrowed the box set of laurel and hardy from a pal, that was about 2 years ago.

The Real Maroonblood
59 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

followed by the bananna splits.

Borrowed the box set of laurel and hardy from a pal, that was about 2 years ago.

They were showing some of their material on theTalking Pictures channel.
I never get tired of watching them.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They were showing some of their material on theTalking Pictures channel.
I never get tired of watching them.

Aye, great viewing, 

Morecambe and Wise owed everything to Stan and Ollie. To me the biggest accolade I can give them is that my 11yr old son begged me to take him to the film last year starring Steve Coogan as Stan Laurel and John C Reilly as Oliver Hardy. We both loved the film.