Barbados Knows the Score

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cairneyhill Jambo

Another piece of the empire crumbling away.

From the BBC website

Barbados has announced its intention to remove Queen Elizabeth as its head of state and become a republic.
"The time has come to fully leave our colonial past behind," the Caribbean island nation's government said.
It aims to complete the process in time for the 55th anniversary of independence from Britain, in November 2021.
A speech written by Prime Minister Mia Mottley said Barbadians wanted a Barbadian head of state.
"This is the ultimate statement of confidence in who we are and what we are capable of achieving," the speech read.
Buckingham Palace said that it was a matter for the government and people of Barbados.
A source at Buckingham Palace said that the idea "was not out of the blue" and "has been mooted and publicly talked about many times", BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said.

If Scotland become independent I would like Robbo to be our Head of state. Or, if the constitution allows, Rudi Skacel.

Edited by Jambos_1874

37 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Another piece of the empire crumbling away.

From the BBC website

Barbados has announced its intention to remove Queen Elizabeth as its head of state and become a republic.
"The time has come to fully leave our colonial past behind," the Caribbean island nation's government said.
It aims to complete the process in time for the 55th anniversary of independence from Britain, in November 2021.
A speech written by Prime Minister Mia Mottley said Barbadians wanted a Barbadian head of state.
"This is the ultimate statement of confidence in who we are and what we are capable of achieving," the speech read.
Buckingham Palace said that it was a matter for the government and people of Barbados.
A source at Buckingham Palace said that the idea "was not out of the blue" and "has been mooted and publicly talked about many times", BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said.

It hasn't been a piece of the empire for 55 years. Tiny island state with the Queen as ceremonial head of state and no power. Barely newsworthy. Good luck to them.

Toxteth O'Grady
47 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

If Scotland become independent I would like Robbo to be our Head of state. Or, if the constitution allows, Rudi Skacel.

I like this a lot 

Given our pretty shady history with the majority of the ‘commonwealth’ former colonies it still puzzles me why so many still want to retain the queen in the first place if it’s not a necessity to stay within the Commonwealth.

54 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Given our pretty shady history with the majority of the ‘commonwealth’ former colonies it still puzzles me why so many still want to retain the queen in the first place if it’s not a necessity to stay within the Commonwealth.

Indeed. A huge percentage of West Indians have Scottish surnames, assigned by their Scottish colonial masters. Had they not been forcibly transported there from West Africa (and been lucky enough to survive the brutal journey), they'd have remained Africans with their original names. Many of the African Countries they originated from are Commonwealth members, but have long since removed the Queen as Head of State, a ceremonial title with no power anyway in a constitutional monarchy.

Edited by SwindonJambo

Shanks said no
40 minutes ago, RobboM said:

..... but the Royal Family do so much for tourism!!!!
Have Barbados thought this through? 😁

Meghan and Harry, 

49 minutes ago, RobboM said:

..... but the Royal Family do so much for tourism!!!!
Have Barbados thought this through? 😁

😂Maybe they’re trying to discourage visitors due to the current crisis. 

Royal families are for weirdos. 
Monarchy? WTF? 
Well done Barbados.
Hope others now follow and show the world the royalist sycophants are really just brain dead obsessed weirdos!!!

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

You don’t need a royal family when you have one of the coolest flags in the world. 

Indeed.

3168e-iiolL._AC_.jpg

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed.

3168e-iiolL._AC_.jpg

If Maserati and Sweden went for an ambitious World takeover attempt, this would be the flag!

8 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Indeed. A huge percentage of West Indians have Scottish surnames, assigned by their Scottish colonial masters. Had they not been forcibly transported there from West Africa (and been lucky enough to survive the brutal journey), they'd have remained Africans with their original names. Many of the African Countries they originated from are Commonwealth members, but have long since removed the Queen as Head of State, a ceremonial title with no power anyway in a constitutional monarchy.

Of course, but don't whitewash the huge part(Not Huge, Main) African Chiefs had in the sale of their fellow Africans to these traders? Oh and remember who were the first slaves in Barbados, yes, that's right, Scots. No doubt you'll call them something else. You expats instead of immigrants, type thing. 

Anyway, Back to your deflection of the English slave trade where some scumbag Scots managed to get rich off of. The same scum Scots who sold their granny to England by the Act of Union. 

Edited by ri Alban

16 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

sounds good i might vote yes next time🤔

manaliveits105
16 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Wonderful place.

last time I was there a Canadian couple in our hotel took us to a bar owned by Canadian millionaire who owned an ice hockey team - the place was rammed with Canadians as there was a big ice hockey cup final on The Ducks against someone - The atmosphere was incredible in the bar they were going mental -  as I couldnt see the puck on the TV I just cheered when they did and got drunk 

jack D and coke
11 hours ago, tian447 said:

If Maserati and Sweden went for an ambitious World takeover attempt, this would be the flag!

Couldn’t think where I knew that logo from👍🏼

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

last time I was there a Canadian couple in our hotel took us to a bar owned by Canadian millionaire who owned an ice hockey team - the place was rammed with Canadians as there was a big ice hockey cup final on The Ducks against someone - The atmosphere was incredible in the bar they were going mental -  as I couldnt see the puck on the TV I just cheered when they did and got drunk 

Sounds like a great night, and you don't need to see the puck to have a good time!