• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• iainmac

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I've not dismissed the complaints. I've said there are valid complaints and I can see how there could be confusion. I'm just having a clearly pointless discussion about how seriously opinions stated on the internet, usually anonymously, should be taken. 

Although I'm still not clear how anyone could expect to see 18 games in person (possibly spread over two seasons) and watch games online (possibly for an entire season meaning next year's ST would be free) under the same ST and not have that push the club into deep financial trouble (if everyone did that).

OK, you've asked the question before and it has been answered by a number of posters including me, but I'll answer one more time.

First, the decision to guarantee 18 games in person was made by the club and not the fans. Questions about how that was going to prove financially viable should be directed at the club rather than blaming fans and asking them to come up with a solution to the club's mistake. I thought at the time the guarantee was a bad idea that risked leaving them with a significant financial hole if the number of games season ticket holders could attend this year was significantly under 18. I thought it was quite likely that they would end up begging fans at the end of the season to pay full price for next year if they could afford it.

I thought it was possible that when it became clear that it was really likely that they would have to stream games that they would either charge for those games as they were outside of the season ticket or ask fans to convert their 18 game credits into streamed credits. Either of these could have ended with the club begging fans not to use their carry-forward credits to discount next year's ticket. Again, this was a problem of the club's making through their ill-conceived 'guarantee', not the fans.

What I absolutely didn't expect was the club to just breach their guarantee unilaterally and pretend that they hadn't. I'm still staggered they did so.

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I've not dismissed the complaints. I've said there are valid complaints and I can see how there could be confusion. I'm just having a clearly pointless discussion about how seriously opinions stated on the internet, usually anonymously, should be taken. 

Although I'm still not clear how anyone could expect to see 18 games in person (possibly spread over two seasons) and watch games online (possibly for an entire season meaning next year's ST would be free) under the same ST and not have that push the club into deep financial trouble (if everyone did that).

I think the reason you're not seeing it, is because not one person has ever said that's what they expected.

It was the club's wording of the statement that has caused the upset, and as has been pointed out, the problem could have been avoided if online games were mentioned in the guarantee.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

OK, you've asked the question before and it has been answered by a number of posters including me, but I'll answer one more time.

First, the decision to guarantee 18 games in person was made by the club and not the fans. Questions about how that was going to prove financially viable should be directed at the club rather than blaming fans and asking them to come up with a solution to the club's mistake. I thought at the time the guarantee was a bad idea that risked leaving them with a significant financial hole if the number of games season ticket holders could attend this year was significantly under 18. I thought it was quite likely that they would end up begging fans at the end of the season to pay full price for next year if they could afford it.

I thought it was possible that when it became clear that it was really likely that they would have to stream games that they would either charge for those games as they were outside of the season ticket or ask fans to convert their 18 game credits into streamed credits. Either of these could have ended with the club begging fans not to use their carry-forward credits to discount next year's ticket. Again, this was a problem of the club's making through their ill-conceived 'guarantee', not the fans.

What I absolutely didn't expect was the club to just breach their guarantee unilaterally and pretend that they hadn't. I'm still staggered they did so.

I get it was the wording. But at that time we didn't even know what league we were going to be in.

I can see using the term "guarantee" has backfired as some - no all it seems - people read that a certain way. However, I don't agree it was a deliberate attempt to mislead fans into buying STs.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I think the reason you're not seeing it, is because not one person has ever said that's what they expected.

It was the club's wording of the statement that has caused the upset, and as has been pointed out, the problem could have been avoided if online games were mentioned in the guarantee.

Then what were they expecting given closed door games for a long time was a very real possibility?

Jambof3tornado

How did the club not see this being a problem for many??? Nobody at any point in the discussions thought to question the fairness of it all or do we have a pile of yes men/women/other at the club?

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Then what were they expecting given closed door games for a long time was a very real possibility?

They were expecting18 games at Tyncastle, not unreasonably, because that's what was guaranteed.

And given as you say BCD games were a real possibility then it was poor planning by the club not to plan for all eventualities. However rather than admitting they made and arse of it, they've chosen to rip up the guarantee.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

They were expecting18 games at Tyncastle, not unreasonably, because that's what was guaranteed.

And given as you say BCD games were a real possibility then it was poor planning by the club not to plan for all eventualities. However rather than admitting they made and arse of it, they've chosen to rip up the guarantee.

I don't believe anyone expected to actually go to 18 games at Tynecastle this season.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't believe anyone expected to actually go to 18 games at Tynecastle this season.

Stop banging the 'this season' drum.

A season ticket, under the whole guarantee claim, was about BCD games being rolled over to next season.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kila said:

Stop banging the 'this season' drum.

A season ticket, under the whole guarantee claim, was about BCD games being rolled over to next season.

So how would people who buy a ST see the BCD games? Pay for them on top of their ST or did they expect to get them free, meaning potentially two seasons for one if this whole season is BCD? I can see the issues for people who thought they'd get 18 in person games over two seasons, but ca also see how hard it is to keep everyone happy and keep the club afloat.

Edited by ToqueJambo

28 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I get it was the wording. But at that time we didn't even know what league we were going to be in.

I can see using the term "guarantee" has backfired as some - no all it seems - people read that a certain way. However, I don't agree it was a deliberate attempt to mislead fans into buying STs.

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

In the response to the EEN on this issue a couple of days ago the club spokesperson said "When we launched the Season Ticket Guarantee back in May we very much had hoped, based on the guidance at that time, that supporters would be back in the stadium at the start of the season".

So it seems they did think we might get to a full complement of games this season. It was a stupid guarantee to make given the uncertainty, but again it was the club not the fans that made it. They must have expected us to go to close to 18 home games this season, because as you said earlier, otherwise honouring the pledge would be potentially financially ruinous.

I don't think the club aimed to mislead people when they gave the guarantee either. I think they genuinely thought they would be able to honour it. Fans understandably took them at their word. It was after all according to the club (again not the fans) a 'simple' and 'absolutely clear' guarantee. The fans maybe didn't think about how the finances of the 'guarantee' would stack up. Why should they need to? Surely the club management would have done so as they are the ones running the club.

Unilaterally changing the nature of the guarantee this week means they have now misled people, whether deliberately or down to some total incompetence in failing to understand what they were doing. Communicating this in a way that failed to even acknowledge this change compounded the issue.

Edited by Saint Jambo

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So how would people who buy a ST see the BCD games? Pay for them on top of their ST or did they expect to get them free, meaning potentially two seasons for one if this whole season is BCD? I can see the issues for people who thought they'd get 18 in person games over two seasons, but ca also see how hard it is to keep everyone happy and keep the club afloat.

The costs to stage a game with zero fans is hardly the same as a capacity crowd (stewards, police etc). Yet we're still being charged the same...

The entire season can't be BCD because the too many Championship clubs wouldn't survive. So it'll either be a few games BCD with fans back in smaller numbers and growing, or the league will mothball. And of course that would have massive ramifications for Hearts. But we cross that bridge if we come to it.

Edited by kila

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Then the club should have taken that into consideration.

We're not going to agree so I'll leave it there. 

On the bright side, at the rate you're manufacturing strawmen we'll soon have enough to fill Tyncastle.👍

Does anyone know what the script is on how season ticket holders are meant to log in to hearts tv? Did we get access a while back for free? I don't think I was ever sent details 

12 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

Does anyone know what the script is on how season ticket holders are meant to log in to hearts tv? Did we get access a while back for free? I don't think I was ever sent details 

It was name and ref number was username and ref number was password, you should got an email informing you.I don’t know if it will be the same this time.

Edited by obua

2 hours ago, kila said:

The costs to stage a game with zero fans is hardly the same as a capacity crowd (stewards, police etc). Yet we're still being charged the same...

The entire season can't be BCD because the too many Championship clubs wouldn't survive. So it'll either be a few games BCD with fans back in smaller numbers and growing, or the league will mothball. And of course that would have massive ramifications for Hearts. But we cross that bridge if we come to it.

They are also losing other revenue from catering, programmes, half time draw tickets, club shop sales and any one off hospitality bookings. 

Not sure what is happening with companies that have bought hospitality tables or seats for the season to entertain clients as a stream isn’t much good for them. 

Interesting times. 

I am not sure it's a case fans  necessarily expected to be back in the stands for all 14 or 18 games. The club offered a guarantee and many fans will have taken the view that they may have only got say 10 of those this season with the remaining 8 carried forward. This isn't about those fans being naïve, greedy or lesser supporters. They took the club at face value and will have trusted the club had done it's sums and felt that was manageable. I am sure many would have had on their minds they may not take up the discount the following season however the club has taken that decision from fans.  It is a very poor way to treat customers (never mind fans!) and if the club made promises they couldn't manage then that says more about the club.

This pandemic has probably had a wider impact and gone on longer than anticipated however Hearts like every other business has to adapt. There is no doubt there will be a drop in income however the situation should be manageable. The below are just some examples of where the club should be adapting (and I sure is) to this situation. As it currently stands I think Season 21/22 is probably an optimistic estimate of when we can expect to have a situation we can accommodate 12,000 ST holders never mind a full gate. For how long can you ask those people to keep paying for what they won't be  receiving as it is likely fans could get 4 or 5 games at best this year in the stadium.

The club will likely have saved money through furlough, other rates schemes, income from games which didn't go ahead and were not refunded, savings on match day costs - no policing/stewarding for example, match bonuses etc. Add to this the ability to stream and charge for this along with the large cut in salary costs alongside the ongoing FOH funds and the money from Hickey I'd really hope our finances are not in such dire straits we have to take this approach. We seem to have a good little business going with the new facilities and even if we hadn't sadly we would be reaching a stage those staff would potentially have to be laid off until the situation improved.

What should have happened is that the club e-mailed season ticket holders - not a generic newsletter/website story, explained that it looked unlikely we would get into Tynecastle for the foreseeable and the club was keen to mitigate the impact of the ST guarantee and offered fans options to include 1) refund, 2) pro-rata refund at the end of the season 3) option to swap for streaming ST where games could not be attended 4) abide by the offer but let fans donate the difference if they wanted to. I am sure as normal most fans would have tried to support the club however the way they have gone about it leaves a bad taste for me and I have to question the people making these decisions who have such little regard for fans that they thought they could get away with it. Either way you look at it isn't good - either they deliberately wrote it ambiguously trying to mislead people or they did it with the right intention then decided to go back on it. Neither is particularly ethical.

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You're either hard of thinking or trolling. 

The club sold the tickets on a "guarantee" that we would get 18 games in our seats, whether that was over two seasons or not. 

Its not up to the fans to figure out if that is feasible is it? Hearts offered something that everyone could see was going to be difficult to deliver, now they are getting stick for taking the money with no way to deliver what they "guaranteed". 

They've created this mess. 

3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

You're either hard of thinking or trolling. 

The club sold the tickets on a "guarantee" that we would get 18 games in our seats, whether that was over two seasons or not. 

No they didn’t. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Show me where they guaranteed games in your seat ?

"A 20/21 season ticket guarantees you 18 matches at Tynecastle Park, regardless of what league we play in or of the duration of the campaign." 

They promised the "full value" of your season ticket, is streaming games full value to yourself? 

"guarantee YOU 18 matches AT Tynecastle Park" watching in the front room isn't you at Tynecastle Park is it? 

Then there's an email from the ticket office and various people saying they were told the same thing face to face at the ticket office. 

I'm not one for putting the boot in to Hearts but they've ****ed this royally and anyone saying otherwise is at it. 

18 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

"A 20/21 season ticket guarantees you 18 matches at Tynecastle Park, regardless of what league we play in or of the duration of the campaign." 

They promised the "full value" of your season ticket, is streaming games full value to yourself? 

"guarantee YOU 18 matches AT Tynecastle Park" watching in the front room isn't you at Tynecastle Park is it? 

Then there's an email from the ticket office and various people saying they were told the same thing face to face at the ticket office. 

I'm not one for putting the boot in to Hearts but they've ****ed this royally and anyone saying otherwise is at it. 

There are people on this thread who will not even concede that hearts should have been clearer. That, in my mind, means they are just defending the club, regardless of what they themselves actually think. 

Edited by GinRummy

17 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

No point going round in circles it’s been done to death. I called it before hearts announced it and am ok with it. Wording wasn’t the best but I don’t get how people didn’t look around the world, see what was happening and logically join the dots. The headline guarantee led to zero thoughts given.  

Lets see how hearts deal with it now as clearly people aren’t happy. 

Edited by Dazo

No doubt the Clubs " at Tynecastle "  comment was misleading , but I don't believe it was intentional.

If I believed for one minute that my Club was trying to screw me then  that would be the end.

Being realistic  - refund of Season Tickets should be offered to all fans that want one ( perhaps max 15 / 20 % ) the Club will then have to bite the bullet and adjust this Season's budget accordingly and sell PPV..

The word Loyalty should also be used carefully, some fans simply can't afford to be as " loyal " as others.

Hopefully next season we can start afresh.

What else can they do  ?

14 minutes ago, Dazo said:

No point going round in circles it’s been done to death. I called it before hearts announced it and am ok with it. Wording wasn’t the best but I don’t get how people didn’t look around the world, see what was happening and logically join the dots. The headline guarantee led to zero thoughts given.  

Franksluckypants
27 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Absolutely correct. 

Trying to argue semantics of the unambiguous first sentence quoted above, when everyone and their dug (apart from lawyers and a few yes men...) very clearly understands it?

I like to be generous, but I hate being or even feeling like I'm being conned. This could really do with being sorted before it permanently harms the 'trust' between fans and the club - perhaps too late!

Can’t believe the moaning minnies on here. Man up and be hearts fans or go and join the trash down fester road way. Buying a ST was to ensure the jambos survival and allowed us to move forward from the hell hole the powers that be had put us in. No-one had a crystal ball so we’ve had to adapt to the world - that includes STs and no crowds. Get a grip. Only hearts 

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Can’t believe the moaning minnies on here. Man up and be hearts fans or go and join the trash down fester road way. Buying a ST was to ensure the jambos survival and allowed us to move forward from the hell hole the powers that be had put us in. No-one had a crystal ball so we’ve had to adapt to the world - that includes STs and no crowds. Get a grip. Only hearts 

Spot on lad. Its not the clubs fault this is all going on. If you bought your season ticket during this pandemic then surely you knew thus would posibly happen. Its a shame we can't go but glad i can still.watch the games and hopfully in the new year I can attend. If not the fine

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I bought my season ticket with the feeling we wouldn’t get in to see our team this season, two reasons, the support of our club and, being honest, I like where the seat I’m allocated is positioned. My wife was perplexed at me spending money this way but hey! It’s what you do when you support.

I think we need to have a competition to find #1 jammy wearer. There’s just so many to choose from now. Maybe the winner gets their ST ripped in front of them by Budge and they can laugh about it and buy another while praising the club?

19 minutes ago, davidjambo51 said:

No doubt the Clubs " at Tynecastle "  comment was misleading , but I don't believe it was intentional.

If I believed for one minute that my Club was trying to screw me then  that would be the end.

Being realistic  - refund of Season Tickets should be offered to all fans that want one ( perhaps max 15 / 20 % ) the Club will then have to bite the bullet and adjust this Season's budget accordingly and sell PPV..

The word Loyalty should also be used carefully, some fans simply can't afford to be as " loyal " as others.

Hopefully next season we can start afresh.

What else can they do  ?

I agree I don’t think for one second the club intentionally tried to deceive the fans. Also I think the club should make some kind of statement and refunds should probably be offered, it will be interesting to see the take up. Hopefully then those morning can move on to the next thing they aren’t happy about. 

Edited by Dazo

8 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Any justification why mines costs more than others then?  Are Hearts sending me a better scart cable than boys down the front or what? 

No one has any right to say when you can or can’t be angry. Especially with money involved, as a family we’ve spent near £800 for an adult, student u18 and u16 ticket all to watch it on a crap stream on the phone or laptop. We could’ve saved about £600 if we got hearts tv. So you can absolutely 100% guarantee I, like many others am raging about it 

Just now, Last Laff said:

Any justification why mines costs more than others then?  Are Hearts sending me a better scart cable than boys down the front or what? 

HDMI for platinum tickets. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, kila said:

I think we need to have a competition to find #1 jammy wearer. There’s just so many to choose from now. Maybe the winner gets their ST ripped in front of them by Budge and they can laugh about it and buy another while praising the club?

:rofl:

Then have dinner in the sky lounge and wank the club off on Tripadvisor 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I Agree I don’t think for one second the club intentionally tried to deceive the fans. Also I think the club should make some kind of statement and refunds should Probably be offered, it will be interesting To see the take up. Hopefully then those morning can move on to the next thing they aren’t happy

yip.....offer them a refund then cut the squad if lots taje up the offer. The people that bought a season ticket during this pandemic knew the risk. Hearts can keep my money. The ckub gas given me dome of the best days of my life 

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I agree I don’t think for one second the club intentionally tried to deceive the fans. Also I think the club should make some kind of statement and refunds should probably be offered, it will be interesting to see the take up. Hopefully then those morning can move on to the next thing they aren’t happy about. 

Maybe a fan like yourself could buy more than one season ticket to make up for any refunds? 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Maybe a fan like yourself could buy more than one season ticket to make up for any refunds? 

I have 5 already, Ann drops them off personally. 

7 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

yip.....offer them a refund then cut the squad if lots taje up the offer. The people that bought a season ticket during this pandemic knew the risk. Hearts can keep my money. The ckub gas given me dome of the best days of my life 

Lots won’t take up the offer. 

Franksluckypants
4 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Your last sentence I agree with. TBH they shouldn't have guaranteed it. When they did they took on that risk of the pandemic, not us!

provide a formal assurance, especially that certain conditions will be fulfilled relating to a product, service, or transaction.
"the company guarantees to refund your money"
promise with certainty.
"no one can guarantee a profit on stocks and shares"

portobellojambo1
25 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I agree with what you say, in that continually talking about it isn't going to change what has happened, but I think the comments that have been made, not necessarily just on here/online, but direct to the club, may make them think going forward about how they communicate things to the very life blood of the club, the fans.

I guess most agree that we purchased a ST to watch the games inside the stadium, in good faith. When I purchased mine I was aware that chances were that social distancing in place at the time they went on sale would mean that over the course of the full season, with restricted crowds, I might only be lucky enough to get to maybe 4/5 games at home, if social distancing rules were maintained for that full period. I looked at things along the lines of, we are down one division the club need some money, I don't mind helping them out, so I'll give the club the money they need it. If I'm honest I'm now starting to think it is possible we might not get back into Tynecastle as a collective unit at all in the coming season, and while it fits in with my original thinking it was more just the almost arrogant manner in which the club have said what they have said that disappointed me. I didn't expect them to come out and say we are going to be showing all home games at Tynecastle on Hearts TV and then give us back the full amount from our ST's. Again I think most HMFC fans would have told the club just to keep the ST money, but it was just the sort of couldn't care less manner in which they transmitted this message that has pissed people off to a certain extent.

Just now, maroon said:

No one has any right to say when you can or can’t be angry. Especially with money involved, as a family we’ve spent near £800 for an adult, student u18 and u16 ticket all to watch it on a crap stream on the phone or laptop. We could’ve saved about £600 if we got hearts tv. So you can absolutely 100% guarantee I, like many others am raging about it 

Which is where I am at . All this pish about not being behind the club , not being good supporters is at best a disappointing claim to make , if we aren’t “ proper Hearts” fans would we have bought ST’s either In the past or present ? 

Maybe next season the club could offer the multiple ST households a big discount on ST’s ?

( or charge the single ST households who are telling us to suck it up , a charge of say an extra £300* plus on  their ST’s to help cover discounts  🤷🏻‍♂️) ?????😉

I wouldn’t ask for a refund personally ,but I can see why some would or are going to ask , Hearts have not exactly covered themselves in glory at this decision . 

* first figure that came into my head , could be more 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Lots won’t take up the offer. 

I don’t think so either. At a time when people want to Chuck money at the club they would have spent on away games etc I think majority will be willing to write this season off.