Terry Fox - Inspirational Canadian icon

JFK-1

I had never heard of Terry fox till I clicked on the current google 'doodle'. That picture they put above the actual search box and which I suspect may be different in different regions. I don't usually click on them but tonight I did and discovered the story of Terry Fox. A young Canadian who in 1977 at the age of 18 was diagnosed with  osteosarcoma, a form of cancer that often starts near the knees.

He was told that his leg had to be amputated, he would require chemotherapy treatment, and that recent medical advances meant he had a 50-percent chance of survival.

Terry was disappointed to learn how little money was devoted to cancer research. With that in mind  and hoping to highlight the issue while raising money for cancer research he decided to run from coast to coast in Canada while completing a marathon length distance of 26 miles every day of the run. Coast to coast in Canada is 4,025 miles. 

Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 3,339 mi, and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. Below is a photo of Terry Fox during his run and below that a link to a YouTube documentary telling the story of Terry Fox. An inspirational if tear jerking story.

TerryFoxToronto19800712.JPG

I had never heard of him until we moved to Canada. I wondered who the guy was as there are loads of streets, schools and stadiums named after him. He is a real Canadian hero. Cliched as it sounds it puts ones problems into perspective when you realize what he achieved. 

He was a remarkable young man and there are Terry Fox runs every year, continuing to raise money for cancer research.

Thousands of people participate.