New Rule: Side with Teachers

JFK-1

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

You seem to have had a particularly scarring experience at school, Doc.

I was at school in the '70s/'80s when corporal punishment was part of the scene and, although I've experienced that first-hand (badoom-tish!) I haven't built up the dread of it you seem to have. "Routinely losing the plot" would not be how I describe my time then (and I was no angel, deserving every punishment I was given) and in my kids' time at school, a combined 36 years thus far, there's not been a single instance of a teacher losing the plot.

Have you got kids in or through school? Would they describe the same harrowing experiences you've had?

Three kids IP, and I'd have to say some teachers are excellent- truly inspirational, and I am never slow to put that in writing!

However there have been others who seem to spend their time belittling children and actively impeding their chances- putting them in boxes never to be let out again.

We moved 2 of our kids for those reasons to another school.

Well aware of my kids flaws- and if I think a story coming home from school fits them, then fair enough, the kids take their punishment from school.

However on a number of occasions the teachers are quite obviously protecting their wee faves ( who are invariably wee turds and grasses) and coming way too hard on others.

Not sure why anyone would insist their kids stayed in a class with a teacher who made them feel like shit for an entire year.

Seems odd

Wee turds and grasses, lovely words for the children of another parent who loves their children as do you. Where do you get the evidence of their informing on classmates. Are your children aware of your thoughts about their classmates.

I had several teachers who openly bullied me at school.

I also had several teachers who stood by and allowed my bullying from pupils to continue during classes.

Forgive me for having no trust whatsoever in the teaching profession.

7 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I also had several teachers who stood by and allowed my bullying from pupils to continue during classes.

Forgive me for having no trust whatsoever in the teaching profession.

I guess when you were raised has a lot to do with your views. I as a kid felt there must be a mark on me that said hit here. Parents, Police, some neighbours, big laddies, big sisters, teachers, I walked past and could get a smack. "What wis that fer",  "you ken fine" I never did ,nor did I ever find out. The open palmed hand was an adjunct to conversation. Those who know me probably would say thats what has made him the rectal orifice he has become.🤪

11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I guess when you were raised has a lot to do with your views. I as a kid felt there must be a mark on me that said hit here. Parents, Police, some neighbours, big laddies, big sisters, teachers, I walked past and could get a smack. "What wis that fer",  "you ken fine" I never did ,nor did I ever find out. The open palmed hand was an adjunct to conversation. Those who know me probably would say thats what has made him the rectal orifice he has become.🤪

This highlighted in bold is tremendous!!

22 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Squash racket to the testicles and a clean snapped thumb.

School was not a happy place.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Three kids IP, and I'd have to say some teachers are excellent- truly inspirational, and I am never slow to put that in writing!

However there have been others who seem to spend their time belittling children and actively impeding their chances- putting them in boxes never to be let out again.

Well aware of my kids flaws- and if I think a story coming home from school fits them, then fair enough, the kids take their punishment from school.

However on a number of occasions the teachers are quite obviously protecting their wee faves ( who are invariably wee turds and grasses) and coming way too hard on others.

Not sure why anyone would insist their kids stayed in a class with a teacher who made them feel like shit for an entire year.

Seems odd

Our experiences are hugely at odds with each other.

I'd agree that some are excellent and truly inspirational. Most do their very best and have the best job they possibly can in increasingly trying circumstances (in the state sector). It's like most lines of work, though; there are poor performers. I've not yet come across any who I'd classify in the way you've experienced. I suppose that's lucky for me 'cos, as I've said, I was the type of pupil who could (and did) get up the nose of any teacher.

I understand the accusation of putting kids in 'boxes' but, again, haven't seen a situation where a teacher hasn't willed the pupil (and parents) to work their way out of that box.

There is probably a bit of favouritism if there are kids who make the teachers' lives easier when they're surrounded by trouble-making turds and grasses but most teachers I've come across are sufficiently alert to know when an 11/12/13 year old is stirring it to get another in trouble. We all tend to gravitate towards folk who make our likes easier.

I can't think of many instances where a kid has said the teacher makes them feel like shit but in the ones that come to mind, it becomes a recurring theme. At the age of 9, "I don't like that teacher, (s)he isn't nice to me". OK, petal, we'll have a word with the school. Age of 10, "I don't like this teacher, (s)he isn't nice to me." OK, my little prince, we'll kick up some shit. Two changes of school later, the same story is still being told. "I don't like that policeman, he shouldn't be arresting me for drug abuse." OK, sweetheart, we'll have some words.

Again, I'll acknowledge that I've been particularly lucky with both my own school and my kids' school but when I hear parents bleating about how their kids' experience (which is exactly the same as my own kids') is just awful, I switch off. From where I'm sitting, it sounds like you and your kids have been landed with Salem House with David Copperfield 😛 .

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Surprised at this revelatuon.

I genuinely expected that you'd have been the one laying the smackdowns on the teachers and assorted toadies. 

The school ‘bullying teachers’ one again, eh?

Some very weird, and sadistic ones at my school, that’s for sure.

Many posters on here will know which school I refer to, in general, and which teachers, in particular.

15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The honour must have been sufficient  compensation. 🥴

I was involved too. I got picked out because my mum was in the PTA but I never fingered those involved. I got told how disappointed the teachers are with me and that it would not do any harm if I said. What really irks me us that the teachers knew who was involved or they wouldn't have pulled all the boys into the PE hall for a bollocking. 

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Many posters on here will know which school I refer to, in general, and which teachers, in particular.

I've read your posts previously. Can't remember where you went to but you really did have some dickhead teachers. #prayformorgan. 

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

I've read your posts previously. Can't remember where you went to but you really did have some dickhead teachers. #prayformorgan. 

Perfect description, Marvin.  👍

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 18:12, Sharpie said:

Not having done anything was not an acceptable defence. Even when they believed your protestations it was explained that the chastisement was for "what you are going to do" and so any miscarraige of justice was merely temporary. Clearly that was not helpful for crime prevention and so the more sensitive officers would also point out that the punishment was a warning against any future misbehaviour. Not your M.O. though it seems.

20 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Not having done anything was not an acceptable defence. Even when they believed your protestations it was explained that the chastisement was for "what you are going to do" and so any miscarraige of justice was merely temporary. Clearly that was not helpful for crime prevention and so the more sensitive officers would also point out that the punishment was a warning against any future misbehaviour. Not your M.O. though it seems.

Not my M.O. as a child and not as a Polis.💂‍♀️🧑‍✈️

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Not my M.O. as a child and not as a Polis.💂‍♀️🧑‍✈️

Of course not, but I expect you were aware of it.

As someone who was picked on by two teachers (one of whom had a personal grudge against me, I never found out why, and the other who just hated all males), and also bullied by certain fellow pupils, my memories of school are not entirely rosy. Had the tawse a couple of times too. When I was at school, if you were a nasty teacher then the sky was the limit as to what you could get up to. That was a fair while ago now though, and I hope things have changed.

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Of course not, but I expect you were aware of it.

Are you being serious, I made a comment with an element of jest and seem to be getting a lecture on accountability. I would suggest that as a veteran of thirty six years as police officer, retiring with the rank of Chief Superintendent, I do have some slight knowledge about the validity of presented defences. I was in my now quoted comment referring to myself as a wee Southside Laddie and trying to do so with an element of humor. Obviously I failed in your judgement, and will offer no defence applicable or other. I thank you for your advice, and appreciate your interest in making me aware of my lackings, but the term away and shite comes back from these same old days.

On 14/09/2020 at 17:00, doctor jambo said:

Seems odd

Ever thought it is your weans that misbehaving? 

On 14/09/2020 at 22:24, Morgan said:

Maybe you all deserved it. 

School was fine, if you could fight. Teacher's were a doddle, they hated me and I made their time in school Hell! But hey, it must be murder having g to deal with the wee uppity swats. At least we we're honest. 

michael_bolton
On 15/09/2020 at 00:00, doctor jambo said:

Any educational setting I've worked in the teacher's favourite has always been the type of kid that works hard and has a bit of personality. These are the kids that make a class work well and they're a dream to see.

Teachers find kiss-arse kids as annoying as anybody else. If your kid isn't a teacher's favourite, then they should probably work a bit harder and just be pleasant.

Who doesn't enjoy working with someone cooperative and interesting?

On 14/09/2020 at 04:01, JFK-1 said:

Bill Maher on a rant about the pampering of US kids into an unrealistic mindset. Some of this may translate to the UK.

Serious issue disguised as humour. American humour. Watched it...didnt even smile. Try harder C minus.

I am old enough to remember the belt as punishment dished out like a despot dictator to any child who even dropped their pencil.

I remember sitting in old draughty classrooms and putting up with disgusting school lunches.

Mrs PJ is an assistant teacher in a high school and she tells me that most of the kids nowadays are arrogant, disrespectful,  selfish, they dont listen, they dont try and they are obsessed with themselves and their mobile devices. 

Some of the teachers just should not be teachers either, moaning all the time.

I have a teenage son, gid lad but since he started the teenage years, hes turned into a bit of a wee dick!  Its the teenage way!

10 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Are you being serious, I made a comment with an element of jest and seem to be getting a lecture on accountability. I would suggest that as a veteran of thirty six years as police officer, retiring with the rank of Chief Superintendent, I do have some slight knowledge about the validity of presented defences. I was in my now quoted comment referring to myself as a wee Southside Laddie and trying to do so with an element of humor. Obviously I failed in your judgement, and will offer no defence applicable or other. I thank you for your advice, and appreciate your interest in making me aware of my lackings, but the term away and shite comes back from these same old days.

Not in any way. I,m certainly not suggesting you have failed either. Your experience of the police was different to mine. You were a policeman, l was not. You stated that you were routinely assaulted, many of us were,that's the way it was for many in the good old days. People in authority i.e.police didn't need a reason. That,s the only point I was trying to make. 

2 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Not in any way. I,m certainly not suggesting you have failed either. Your experience of the police was different to mine. You were a policeman, l was not. You stated that you were routinely assaulted, many of us were,that's the way it was for many in the good old days. People in authority i.e.police didn't need a reason. That,s the only point I was trying to make. 

I reacted to your comment stronger than required. I had in fact just a short time earlier been told by a neighbour that they were moving from our district, they had been described by my wife as our lifesavers for their care of us, you provided without malice I am sure a target for my disappointment and displeasure.

13 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I reacted to your comment stronger than required. I had in fact just a short time earlier been told by a neighbour that they were moving from our district, they had been described by my wife as our lifesavers for their care of us, you provided without malice I am sure a target for my disappointment and displeasure.

I was just reminiscing about about the good old days when corporal punishment of children was seen by many as a cure all and by some as a necessity. Many of us have moved on, thank goodness. 

On 14/09/2020 at 18:38, Vlad Magic said:

Squash racket to the testicles and a clean snapped thumb.

School was not a happy place.

Bad enough making you play squash, what a horrendous game, ftr im hopeless at it😏.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Bad enough making you play squash, what a horrendous game, ftr im hopeless at it😏.

:laugh:

I used to play at Queen Margaret College up at Cleri. My mate's dad worked there and so happened to have a spare key for the squash court, which we frequently used. I was still pish however.

26 minutes ago, Marvin said:

:laugh:

I used to play at Queen Margaret College up at Cleri. My mate's dad worked there and so happened to have a spare key for the squash court, which we frequently used. I was still pish however.

Went out with a student from there, lovely girl from Port seton, anyway only played squash once could not 

hit the ball 🤣, badminton was more my racket sport. 

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Went out with a student from there, lovely girl from Port seton, anyway only played squash once could not 

hit the ball 🤣, badminton was more my racket sport. 

The girls there were proper babes :wub: Tried it on once in theirs student union bar. Got nothing from her 😭. Wasn't bothered though, I didn't even go to the college, I worked down at Safeway on the Glasgow Road round-a-bought :D 

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The girls there were proper babes :wub: Tried it on once in theirs student union bar. Got nothing from her 😭. Wasn't bothered though, I didn't even go to the college, I worked down at Safeway on the Glasgow Road round-a-bought :D 

👍.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Round-a-bought.  :rofl:

Good one, Marv.  👍