New Rule: Side with Teachers

JFK-1

Perhaps you have forgotten what teachers were like as you were growing up?

The violence, shouting and aggression.

Dictatorial.

Also very biased- they had their favourites and some kids never caught a break.

Frankly I would never side with teachers over my kids.

Not so fond memories of getting an absolute bawling out and punishment exercises for something I didnt do at school, then it was home for a physical going over for having been punished.

No thanks.

7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Dictatorial.

Not so fond memories of getting an absolute bawling out and punishment exercises for something I didnt do at school, then it was home for a physical going over for having been punished.

No thanks.

Wee soul! 

I had the belt many times and was a right pain in the arse. Teachers are quite right to lose it, sometimes. Imo. 

#Bring back the Belt

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Wee soul! 

I had the belt many times and was a right pain in the arse. Teachers are quite right to lose it, sometimes. Imo. 

#Bring back the Belt

I take it  you are being sarcastic

The schools I went to, a very small percentage of teachers were NOT total a r s e h o l e s

Cue  answers of "maybe it was you"

Edited by ericthepen
sarcastic replies

25 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Well it would appear you're part of the problem he's describing. No matter what your kids do you're never taking the side of teachers. My parents always took the side of teachers. Because they knew that while they could control me with a glance they also knew that I was no angel.

They knew these teachers had to have something like the level of control over me they had or I would be out of control. As would many others sitting with me in those classes.

What you need is a dose of what that's like for a teacher. What do you think kids are? Little angels? They're not.  Significant numbers of them are perfectly capable of and frequently are little monsters. Little monsters you would always side with apparently.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

Well it would appear you're part of the problem he's describing. No matter what your kids do you're never taking the side of teachers. My parents always took the side of teachers. Because they knew that while they could control me with a glance they also knew that I was no angel.

They knew these teachers had to have something like the level of control over me they had or I would be out of control. As would many others sitting with me in those classes.

What you need is a dose of what that's like for a teacher. What do you think kids are? Little angels? They're not.  Significant numbers of them are perfectly capable of and frequently are little monsters. Little monsters you would always side with apparently.

👍

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Little monsters 🙄😒

Why do you hate kids? Just because you were a wee knob doesn't mean they all are. 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Bill Maher on a rant about the pampering of US kids into an unrealistic mindset. Some of this may translate to the UK.

Anyone wanting to get a good insight into American society and politics should watch Maher's show - it's now on Sky Comedy. It's a mix of debate/discussion and humour. 

Maher and his writing team are superb - the "New Rules" segment is often a great reflection on society. 

8 minutes ago, Smack said:

Little monsters 🙄😒

Why do you hate kids? Just because you were a wee knob doesn't mean they all are. 

What sort of alternate reality are you existing in? One where anyone who acknowledges kids can be little monsters hates kids? That's realism in your world?

Let's break it down one step at a time. Explain to me what little angels they all apparently are. I'm always open to being enlightened. 

1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

Anyone wanting to get a good insight into American society and politics should watch Maher's show - it's now on Sky Comedy. It's a mix of debate/discussion and humour. 

Maher and his writing team are superb - the "New Rules" segment is often a great reflection on society. 

I have seen his stand up routine live in Oklahoma City.

6 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I used to like Maher, until all his anti-vacc pish started creeping in to his shows. 

Religilous is excellent though!

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

What sort of alternate reality are you existing in? One where anyone who acknowledges kids can be little monsters hates kids? That's realism in your world?

Let's break it down one step at a time. Explain to me what little angels they all apparently are. I'm always open to being enlightened. 

I can assure you that nothing I ever did as a kid merrited the treatment I received at the hands of teachers.

there is rarely any instance at home where I have to shout at my kids- it does happen, but its usually my issue as opposed to theirs- ie I've lost control of the situation, or I have other shit going on.

Its sad that most of the shouting they hear in their lives is from their educators

31 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

:spoton: 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Dictatorial.

No thanks.

I think we're starting to see why you don't give a shit about old people dying.

Pasquale for King

Dictatorial.

No thanks.

I had the same experience but wasnt punished for it at home, my mum would do my lines as they brought me up to stand up for myself. 
Silverknowes from 75-78 was great. Niddrie from 78-82 was the best every day. The headmaster was a 5’6” combover twat, with two belts on each shoulder under his jacket. I was taller than him by age 11 and he grabbed me from behind once so I swung my arm round and hit him. My parents had to go up and see him, my mum said no tv for a month but didn’t do it. 
Portobello HS wasn’t as bad as the belt had been banned, still only had about two or three teachers that were any good. They went on strike I was threatened with expulsion for saying I was going to go on strike too 😆. Teachers like anyone else have to earn respect.  
Sorry to hear about your experiences, they really were sadistic *******s back then. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

9 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I can assure you that nothing I ever did as a kid merrited the treatment I received at the hands of teachers.

there is rarely any instance at home where I have to shout at my kids- it does happen, but its usually my issue as opposed to theirs- ie I've lost control of the situation, or I have other shit going on.

Its sad that most of the shouting they hear in their lives is from their educators

Well I really don't know what sort of school you have been in. But the schools I was in which were typical schools weren't littered with teachers shouting at anybody for nothing at all. In fact shouting at all was unusual.

And they weren't picking on people who were just sitting there behaving like little angels. They would warn people who were becoming disruptive to quit it. Then if they didn't something would be done to make them quit it.

Be realistic. You seriously think teachers who simply want to teach are going out of their way to pick on kids doing nothing at all? That's bizarre to me. I never in my entire school life saw that happen even once. 

Edited by JFK-1

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I used to like Maher, until all his anti-vacc pish started creeping in to his shows. 

Religilous is excellent though!

I never took his comments to mean he's anti-vax. I thought he articulated (and possibly badly) that we have to be open minded about cases where some kids have developed autism and investigate further. I think he gave a platform (wrongly) to a doctor on his show but if you pull back the layers of discussion i don't think he was outright promoting the outlook of anti-vax. Arguably he could have articulated the same view (about investigating those links) with a highly regarded doctor. 

In a show like his and with his mentality - there will always be occurrences where the debate goes against the grain and scepticism is promoted. 

Just a view.  

The Real Maroonblood

Although I detested school, generally the teachers were good.

Had the belt a couple of times but not a big deal.
There was never a situation that  my parents became involved.

1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

I never took his comments to mean he's anti-vax. I thought he articulated (and possibly badly) that we have to be open minded about cases where some kids have developed autism and investigate further. I think he gave a platform (wrongly) to a doctor on his show but if you pull back the layers of discussion i don't think he was outright promoting the outlook of anti-vax. Arguably he could have articulated the same view (about investigating those links) with a highly regarded doctor. 

In a show like his and with his mentality - there will always be occurrences where the debate goes against the grain and scepticism is promoted. 

Just a view.  

He isn't anti vaccine. On the contrary I have seen him ridicule the anti vaxxers and describe them as a problem to the society as a whole.

You're right. What he did actually say was something along the lines of that a vaccine may actually cause a problem for maybe 1 kid in a million. Which is obviously a big deal for the parents of that one kid in a million.

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, ericthepen said:

The schools I went to, a very small percentage of teachers were NOT total a r s e h o l e s

Cue  answers of "maybe it was you"

It was you 😜
Nothing to do with being unable to do their jobs properly and earn the respect of kids in a way that helps them behave. My nephew and niece both had problems with teachers but have worked with kids in various guises and now have them eating out their palms in deprived areas. 

AlphonseCapone

Dictatorial.

No thanks.

Perhaps people have different experiences. 

9 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Just a view.  

No highly regarded Doctor would hold those views.

The linking of Autsim to vaccines is textbook anti-vax behaviour. It is a shame because I like most of his stuff, particularly his views on religion. 

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He isn't anti vaccine. On the contrary I have seen him ridicule the anti vaxxers and describe them as a problem to the society as a whole.

You're right. What he did actually say was something along the lines of that a vaccine may actually cause a problem for maybe 1 kid in a million. Which is obviously a big deal for the parents of that one kid in a million.

He is most definitely is anti-vax and at the very least pro pseudo-science. 

That was just one incident. This isn't the first time he has given a platform to a quack / hero of the anti-vax movement either. There is numerous examples of his anti-vax views throughout his real-time shows

10 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

He is most definitely is anti-vax and at the very least pro pseudo-science. 

And yet here he is agreeing that vaccines are safe and effective.

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was you 😜
Nothing to do with being unable to do their jobs properly and earn the respect of kids in a way that helps them behave. My nephew and niece both had problems with teachers but have worked with kids in various guises and now have them eating out their palms in deprived areas. 

It’s a mixed message you are giving though. Your nephew and niece show that not everyone is ‘bad’ at dealing with kids and that has to apply to A lot of teachers as well. I had some bullies and nutters for teachers when I was growing up as well but I think that attitudes have changed a lot and teachers seem better now, in my experience. 

Of course, you might Just have been a wee annoying git when at school. 😄

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

And yet here he is agreeing that vaccines are safe and effective.

Did you watch the video? He actually goes on to say that people who get vaccines have a poorer immune system that those who don't! Also goes on to mention how the vaccine 'schedule' is too much (again classic anti-vax terminology), goes on to suggest having too many vaccines is the equivalent to using too many    anti-biotics (again classic anti-vax stance). If anything, this video supports the argument that he is anti-vax!

From an written article 7 years ago :

Mr. Maher recently told his Twitter followers that people who get flu shots are “idiots.”

Mr. Maher questioned letting someone stick “a disease into your arm,” wrongly implying that the flu shot contains a live virus.

Mr. Maher also discouraged pregnant women from getting vaccinated. Studies show pregnant women are among the most vulnerable to serious complications from H1N1

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/when-antivaccine-pseudoscience-isnt-enough-bill-maher-embraces-goat-milk-hiv-quackery/?fbclid=IwAR156kvRZJOTkXlSWlIEIwLXvJFalkB1EtXZOkkXHHPpYrCoYJe0QLOlSkY

I have maybe been watching a different Maher, but surely anyone can not argue, that he is anything other than anti-vax?

Edited by jambo89

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s a mixed message you are giving though. Your nephew and niece show that not everyone is ‘bad’ at dealing with kids and that has to apply to A lot of teachers as well. I had some bullies and nutters for teachers when I was growing up as well but I think that attitudes have changed a lot and teachers seem better now, in my experience. 

Of course, you might Just have been a wee annoying git when at school. 😄

Yes they’re not all bad, as I said I had a few good ones. They learnt from how not to deal with kids though, they explain what they’re point of view is, they do it with me when I’m off on a rant.

I think so many teachers seem to be institutionalised unfortunately and jaded. I know a few and when they started they were enthusiastic, my mate Sean is in Australia and still is but it doesn’t seem to be the norm. 
I was never wee, annoying most certainly. I used to ask questions that teachers couldn’t or wouldn’t answer, and question authority. I haven’t changed you could say 😱😜

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Did you watch the video? He actually goes on to say that people who get vaccines have a poorer immune system that those who don't! Also goes on to mention how the vaccine 'schedule' is too much (again classic anti-vax terminology), goes on to suggest having too many vaccines is the equivalent to using too many    anti-biotics (again classic anti-vax stance). If anything, this video supports the argument that he is anti-vax!

From an written article 7 years ago :

Mr. Maher recently told his Twitter followers that people who get flu shots are “idiots.”

Mr. Maher questioned letting someone stick “a disease into your arm,” wrongly implying that the flu shot contains a live virus.

Mr. Maher also discouraged pregnant women from getting vaccinated. Studies show pregnant women are among the most vulnerable to serious complications from H1N1

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/when-antivaccine-pseudoscience-isnt-enough-bill-maher-embraces-goat-milk-hiv-quackery/?fbclid=IwAR156kvRZJOTkXlSWlIEIwLXvJFalkB1EtXZOkkXHHPpYrCoYJe0QLOlSkY

I have maybe been watching a different Maher, but surely anyone can not argue, that he is anything other than anti-vax?

As someone about to be an idiot for the first time in the next few months I can safely he’s not using the privileged position he holds in a responsible manner unfortunately. He seems quite ill informed but that’s not that unusual in this day and age. 

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Is your surname Shipman?

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Is your surname Shipman?

I know that not everyone has a basic grasp of medical issues, but surely even you would be aware that posting on kickback is a little tricky post mortem

53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes they’re not all bad, as I said I had a few good ones. They learnt from how not to deal with kids though, they explain what they’re point of view is, they do it with me when I’m off on a rant.

I think so many teachers seem to be institutionalised unfortunately and jaded. I know a few and when they started they were enthusiastic, my mate Sean is in Australia and still is but it doesn’t seem to be the norm. 
I was never wee, annoying most certainly. I used to ask questions that teachers couldn’t or wouldn’t answer, and question authority. I haven’t changed you could say 😱😜

No comment. 😜

40 minutes ago, Cade said:

explain-these-bad-grades-then-explain-th

This is the issue.

Entitlement.

That's what I see far too often; parents refusing to challenge their children and lashing out at what- or whoever is nearest and the softest target. It's what Maher says in the video in the OP - 'helicopter' parents ensuring that their children never take responsibility for their own actions.

My parents' approach was similar to my own - i.e. not to undermine the school or the teachers. Establish the facts as much as possible and only as a last resort, question a teacher's actions. I remember one instance at school when my chemistry teacher accused me (in absentia) at parents' evening of some very specific and unusual behaviour. My folks gave me the third degree afterwards and I, of course, pled innocence. I told them about around 10 other instances of my bad/mischievous behaviour with that teacher but promised that I hadn't done this one thing. They never said any more to me about it but quietly let it drop. It was about five years later that they admitted that they were struggling not to laugh while I was going through my own rap sheet and that what this teacher had said was so obviously bizarre that they knew I wasn't at it. However, not once did they say they thought he was a loon. Poor guy had a bit of a breakdown a couple of years after.

I've had the same with my kids when they have been pulled up on something. If there's the slightest chance that they were involved, however indirectly, they know that they have to take their punishment. It won't scar them. Only once have Mrs K and I taken up an issue with the headmaster and that was when Knightley Minor's classmates told us how a very stressed teacher had flipped his lid completely unreasonably. Quiet words were had.

On the other hand, I see parents looking to excuse their kids' flagrant and obvious disregard for the school's behaviour policy; spending money on lawyers etc. to try to have exclusions overturned. These include cases of distributing child pornography and caught-red-handed possession of drugs. Not only do they accept the sanction or support the school by disciplining their kids, they seek to implicate other kids. They do this not to help eradicate a problem but malevolently to try to get other kids into trouble. They're nasty, selfish people and are doing their kids no favours.

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Dictatorial.

No thanks.

Did we go to the same school ? 😂

People's experiences will differ between the generations. 

I'd much rather be a schookid nowadays compared to some of the sadists that were around back then. 

Children have far more opportunities in education now. 

47 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I know that not everyone has a basic grasp of medical issues, but surely even you would be aware that posting on kickback is a little tricky post mortem

I dont know, I thought you doctors were renowned for performing miracles, even on oneself.

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I dont know, I thought you doctors were renowned for performing miracles, even on oneself.

I think thats the priesthood...

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Dictatorial.

No thanks.

But it prepares you for the big wide world. At least that's what I got told. Had the belt once because I refused to grass my class mates for fighting.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

But it prepares you for the big wide world. At least that's what I got told. Had the belt once because I refused to grass my class mates for fighting.

The honour must have been sufficient  compensation. 🥴

Салатные палочки

Imagine getting hit, with a belt, off someone who wasn't your mum or dad. I couldn't back then and I still can't get my head around that. Wilfully putting your hands or arse out for someone to hit you. Unbelievable. 

I had an issue with a teacher who took exception to me in Tech in high school. It culminated in him pushing me into a table, bruising my back against a vice. My mum went up to the school the next day and it never happened again. In fact he was overly nice from then on. Prick. 

There was also an incident in primary 7 when the teacher showed my project off in front of the class and proceeded to mock it, encouraging everyone to laugh at it. 

Can say what you want about kids being wee *******s etc but teachers should know better and being treated like that in your early years probably has as much an effect on you as being treated like that by family. 

In short, teachers can **** off if they think I'm siding with them over my kids. 

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm a fantastic teacher.

Not slept with any of my pupils in my whole career. Any who say otherwise are liars. Sexy impressionable liars.

:lol:

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm a fantastic teacher.

Not slept with any of my pupils in my whole career. Any who say otherwise are liars. Sexy impressionable liars.

:oohmatron:

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Imagine getting hit, with a belt, off someone who wasn't your mum or dad. I couldn't back then and I still can't get my head around that. Wilfully putting your hands or arse out for someone to hit you. Unbelievable. 

I had an issue with a teacher who took exception to me in Tech in high school. It culminated in him pushing me into a table, bruising my back against a vice. My mum went up to the school the next day and it never happened again. In fact he was overly nice from then on. Prick. 

There was also an incident in primary 7 when the teacher showed my project off in front of the class and proceeded to mock it, encouraging everyone to laugh at it. 

Can say what you want about kids being wee *******s etc but teachers should know better and being treated like that in your early years probably has as much an effect on you as being treated like that by family. 

In short, teachers can **** off if they think I'm siding with them over my kids. 

Its the only profession that is allowed to yell at kids.

YOu dont see paediatric nurses screaming at kids and putting them out the ward, yet they mysteriously cope.

Or dentists for that matter.

Yet teachers quite routinely shout at the kids and lose the plot.

Its quite odd that its still accepted.

i dont yell at anyone at my work, and dont know why they do

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

YOu dont see paediatric nurses screaming at kids and putting them out the ward, yet they mysteriously cope.

It is quite odd / quirky when you put it like that!

But I guess the argument would be that those other professions only have to deal with 1 or 2 kids at a time unlike teachers. 

I shouted at my toddler the other day, yet he continued to push the table lamp over / off the table whilst looking at me with utter didain!! Luckily it landed on the couch and there was no harm done, but I don't think I am very good at shouting! 

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

It is quite odd / quirky when you put it like that!

But I guess the argument would be that those other professions only have to deal with 1 or 2 kids at a time unlike teachers. 

I shouted at my toddler the other day, yet he continued to push the table lamp over / off the table whilst looking at me with utter didain!! Luckily it landed on the couch and there was no harm done, but I don't think I am very good at shouting! 

If you  are apt to lose your temper when faced with a group of kids, then I would suggest that teaching is not for you, though.

I started school in 1939, finished at Boroughmuir in 1947.  Wasn't a "bad" kid but certainly earned one way or another every punishment I received, have no grudges, except one which I have related numerous times on here.  A punishment was well deserved  and taken accordingly but was without doubt excessive. The experiences though to be honest prepared me for the future very well.

When I went to the army at seventeen I trained in a facility that was known for its extreme discipline. My school years had taught me a couple of things as had my old mother, the first was haud yer wheesht, Keep your mouth securely shut. I handled that well because of off record school programs initiated by individual teachers. It also taught me good lessons for my future police years, use the power you are granted but do not as some teachers were inclined use your power to cover your own inadequacies. My children had a different school experience, and to be honest there were times I thought  they could have used some corporal punishment, but it was not allowed.

21 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

You seem to have had a particularly scarring experience at school, Doc.

I was at school in the '70s/'80s when corporal punishment was part of the scene and, although I've experienced that first-hand (badoom-tish!) I haven't built up the dread of it you seem to have. "Routinely losing the plot" would not be how I describe my time then (and I was no angel, deserving every punishment I was given) and in my kids' time at school, a combined 36 years thus far, there's not been a single instance of a teacher losing the plot.

Have you got kids in or through school? Would they describe the same harrowing experiences you've had?