F1 today. What a mess.

Tazio

I’ve got the cycling on the telly and the F1 on the laptop. Utter carnage in the F1. Race stopped in the first lap with a safety car, restarts and immediately a huge crash Leading to everyone back to the pits, a few laps of fairly boring racing, now with a dozen laps left Stroll has a big shunt and everyone back to the pits again waiting for another restart. 
I doubt they’ll be back at Mugello anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve got the cycling on the telly and the F1 on the laptop. Utter carnage in the F1. Race stopped in the first lap with a safety car, restarts and immediately a huge crash Leading to everyone back to the pits, a few laps of fairly boring racing, now with a dozen laps left Stroll has a big shunt and everyone back to the pits again waiting for another restart. 
I doubt they’ll be back at Mugello anytime soon. 

Much better than the normal 60+ laps of the borefest of watching Hamilton disappearing into the distance.

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Much better than the normal 60+ laps of the borefest of watching Hamilton disappearing into the distance.

Agree completely, would have it back at Mugello every year.

The first restart was superb but I think they will be told to go single file next time.

It was a good race, the 2nd restart showed how good Hamilton is. 

Like Schumacher & Vettel before him, multi time world champions can make F1 boring, but have to admire how good the driver is. Was hoping Botas was going to take the race to Hamilton but his 2nd restart was awful. 

18 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This. Snoozefest of a sport. It's more predictable than the Scottish Prem. 

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This. Snoozefest of a sport. It's more predictable than the Scottish Prem. 

I assume you correctly predicted last week's result ::troll:: Yes agreed you can safely predict the result. What is good to watch is the midfield battle. Red Bull v Racing Point v Renault v McLaren v Ferrari. The new rules kick in next year bringing more balance to the field and hopefully making it more attractive to new fans. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don't watch F1 anymore. I'll go back as soon as Hamilton retired, can't stand the wee prick. 

Hamilton bringing in his own political agenda to F1 annoys me. Yes we do need to eradicate racism from, not just F1 but all sport. Fair enough taking the knee, but wearing tee shirts and trying to make sure the TV camera can see what's printed front and back to support your feelings is getting annoying.

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Hamilton bringing in his own political agenda to F1 annoys me. Yes we do need to eradicate racism from, not just F1 but all sport. Fair enough taking the knee, but wearing tee shirts and trying to make sure the TV camera can see what's printed front and back to support your feelings is getting annoying.

It doesn't annoy me at all. I like to see folk in the public eye using their position to speak out on issues which concern them rather than just pocketing the money and smiling.

5 hours ago, Mysterion said:

It was a good race, the 2nd restart showed how good Hamilton is. 

Like Schumacher & Vettel before him, multi time world champions can make F1 boring, but have to admire how good the driver is. Was hoping Botas was going to take the race to Hamilton but his 2nd restart was awful. 

Also shower the advantage the car gives them as Ricciardo roasted Bottas off the line but was then just utterly blown away by the additional pace the Mercedes had.

35 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Also shower the advantage the car gives them as Ricciardo roasted Bottas off the line but was then just utterly blown away by the additional pace the Mercedes had.

I can’t remember a recent time when a car was so dominant. The closest I can think of was when McLaren won 15 out of 16 races. Hamilton is without a doubt a good driver but he’s basically winning races by making sure he gets pole and then keeps it safe during the race and rarely has to go wheel to wheel with anyone. And pole isn’t a problem with the Mercedes about a second faster than anything else. On the rare occasions he doesn’t get it he normally beats Bottas to the first corner. The BBC are getting all frothy about his season but for me Verstappen is the driver of the season destroying his team mate and somehow keeping the Mercs honest when he gets a chance. Bottas is very much a mid range driver and he’s scooping up podiums no problem. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I can’t remember a recent time when a car was so dominant. The closest I can think of was when McLaren won 15 out of 16 races. Hamilton is without a doubt a good driver but he’s basically winning races by making sure he gets pole and then keeps it safe during the race and rarely has to go wheel to wheel with anyone. And pole isn’t a problem with the Mercedes about a second faster than anything else. On the rare occasions he doesn’t get it he normally beats Bottas to the first corner. The BBC are getting all frothy about his season but for me Verstappen is the driver of the season destroying his team mate and somehow keeping the Mercs honest when he gets a chance. Bottas is very much a mid range driver and he’s scooping up podiums no problem. 

That's key for me. It makes Bottas look the second best driver, and he just isn't. Imo.

Verstappen is doing an incredible job as you say. Put him in the Mercedes and I'm sure he could push Lewis a bit harder.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for the heads-up, IP. The FIA will be on a hiding to nothing if they do anything about this, so I doubt they will. But you never know.

Challenging the SFA/SPFL for the title of 'most out of touch sports administration body'?

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Exactly, put Hamilton in a Williams and let's see how many podium finishes he gets in a season.

You can be a fantastic driver but if your in a crap car there's only so much you can do, Button & Alonso spring to mind in recent years, great drivers but were latterly in crap cars and did really well to even finish in the mid table.

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly, put Hamilton in a Williams and let's see how many podium finishes he gets in a season.

You can be a fantastic driver but if your in a crap car there's only so much you can do, Button & Alonso spring to mind in recent years, great drivers but were latterly in crap cars and did really well to even finish in the mid table.

I agree on Alonso but I think it was the other way round with Button. A middling driver who got lucky to be in the Brawn when they clicked.