English Premier League.

maroonlegions

Being serious now …

There was a top / big 4; ManUre, Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs!

Then a Russian bought Chelsea & an Arab bought ManC so that created a top / big 6!

However these clubs are getting reeled in slowly but surely … this season the media have started once again to refer to the top / big 4 however they are; ManUre, ManC, Chelski & Liverpool!

Will it become a top / big 5 or 6 again! Only time will tell!

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Being serious now …

There was a top / big 4; ManUre, Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs!

Then a Russian bought Chelsea & an Arab bought ManC so that created a top / big 6!

However these clubs are getting reeled in slowly but surely … this season the media have started once again to refer to the top / big 4 however they are; ManUre, ManC, Chelski & Liverpool!

Will it become a top / big 5 or 6 again! Only time will tell!

minor point but spurs were never a top/big 4 club before abramovich (At least in the premier league era) . their best finish before chelsea were bought was 7th and they mainly finished mid table around 10th

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know this is ridiculous but i really do not see they hype with Leeds or Bielsa. It just comes across like a group of headless chickens against the better teams. I suppose the fact they have not spent a massive amount is one factor?

Tottenham have won leagues and cups and European trophies however.

I think it because this forum has a large percentage of young posters, who simply wouldn't remember how he won an Olympic gold with Argentina, transformed Chile as a footballing nation. 

Won two league titles while in Argentina. 

By helping Chile qualify for a World Cup after two tournament absences, Bielsa attained great popularity there. His appointment brought about visible changes in the Chilean set-up, with the fast-tracking of young talents and a more attacking mindset away from home.[22] Due to the rumors that Bielsa would not continue to lead Chile after finishing their campaign at the World Cup, Chilean fans campaigned for him to remain as coach, with the movement titled "Bielsa is NOT leaving!"[23]

Managed to get Leeds promoted to the Premier League. 

I don't understand the hype either tbh mate 🤔 I mean he must be shite if Pep and other's Rave on about him, what do they know about football, they have never managed or won trophies like Super John boy Findlay has 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

I think it because this forum has a large percentage of young posters, who simply wouldn't remember how he won an Olympic gold with Argentina, transformed Chile as a footballing nation. 

By helping Chile qualify for a World Cup after two tournament absences, Bielsa attained great popularity there. His appointment brought about visible changes in the Chilean set-up, with the fast-tracking of young talents and a more attacking mindset away from home.[22] Due to the rumors that Bielsa would not continue to lead Chile after finishing their campaign at the World Cup, Chilean fans campaigned for him to remain as coach, with the movement titled "Bielsa is NOT leaving!"[23]

I don't understand the hype either tbh mate 🤔 I mean he must be shite if Pep and other Rave on about him, what do they know about football, they have never managed or won trophies like Super John boy Findlay has 👍

Not counting the Olympics when it comes to football, he's not won a trophy since 1998 :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I don't understand the hype either tbh mate 🤔 I mean he must be shite if Pep and other's Rave on about him, what do they know about football, they have never managed or won trophies like Super John boy Findlay has 👍

You spent all morning Googling  that. I hope your boss doesn't catch you.

Edited by John Findlay

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not counting the Olympics when it comes to football, he's not won a trophy since 1998 :thumbsup:

He's turned down Barcelona and other clubs of that stature  because he likes challenges that aren't easy. 

Give him the top 6 teams in the world and he wins. 

Peps own words ^. 

And didn't he win the English Championship 🤔

Edited by Bongo 1874

He's turned down Barcelona and other clubs of that stature because he likes challenges that aren't easy. 

Give him the top 6 teams in the world and he wins. 

Peps own words. 

And didn't he win the English Championship 🤔

Give Robbie the top 6 teams and he wins.

It's leeds...the Championship is a diddy league for them. Well, it should be!

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Pep also rates Arteta 😂

Arteta came into a shite show at arsenal that has been on a rapid decline, since wenger outstayed his welcome and neglecting the club for years with the board 👍

He's very much still a rookie so hard to right him off just yet. 

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Give Robbie the top 6 teams and he wins.

It's leeds...the Championship is a diddy league for them. Well, it should be!

Leeds hadn't been in the Premier League 16 years 😂😂 the excuses that are getting made honestly. 

Robbie couldn't get Mk dons promoted from league 1 😂😂

The Championship is not a Diddy League it's one of the most competitive league's in the world due to the financial rewards, of getting promoted to the Premier League. 

You are talking pish Nookie. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

10 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

Bielsa's Bilbao were a great team to watch. Their performances in the Europa League in particular.

Spot on put out United didn't they? 

Edit https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/revisiting-when-bielsas-athletic-club-blew-away-fergusons-man-utd/&ved=2ahUKEwiphom7-vvyAhUIBsAKHUUEA0sQFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1WNIevmAwVuOE4ObIrbx8B

Someone that's knows there stuff about football and doesn't jump in with two feet, making an arse of themselves. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Arteta h

Leeds hadn't been in the Premier League 16 years 😂😂 that excuses that are getting made honestly. 

Robbie couldn't get Mk dons promoted from league 1 😂😂

The Championship is not a Diddy League it's one of the most competitive league's in the world due to the financial rewards, of getting promoted to the Premier League. 

You are talking pish Nookie. 

Didn;t say Bielsa was a poor manager - he is certainly a cut above the likes of Paul Heckingbottom - but Leeds still had a more than healthy budget inthe Championship. He did well to organise and galvanise things in the same way Benitez did with Newcastle when they went down, or Pulis at Stoke 👍.

MK Dons are not a Top 6 team though. Of course Bielsa would do well with a top 6 club...practically every decent, experienced, coach would as well.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Didn;t say Bielsa was a poor manager - he is certainly a cut above the likes of Paul Heckingbottom - but Leeds still had a more than healthy budget inthe Championship. He did well to organise and galvanise things in the same way Benitez did with Newcastle when they went down, or Pulis at Stoke 👍.

MK Dons are not a Top 6 team though. Of course Bielsa would do well with a top 6 club...practically every decent, experienced, coach would as well.

If it's as easy as what you are saying then how come all the previous managers of the past 16 years couldn't get Leeds promoted. 

Cmon man give the guy some sort of credit. 

He had Leeds 9th last season with the second lowest wage budget in the division, and with decent football too doing it. 

As for Rafa i would of liked him to remain at Newcastle but Ashley pushed his buttons, and enough was enough with Rafa, Rafa made a championship team work for him they were good at counter attacking and hard to break down. 

Marcelo is different to Rafa in terms of playing style. 

If it's as easy as what you are saying then how come all the previous managers of the past 16 years couldn't get Leeds promoted. 

Cmon man give the guy some sort of credit. 

He had Leeds 9th last season with the second lowest wage budget in the division, and with decent football too doing it. 

As for Rafa i would of liked him to remain at Newcastle but Ashley pushed his buttons, and enough was enough with Rafa, Rafa made a championship team work for him they were good at counter attacking and hard to break down. 

Marcelo is different to Rafa in terms of playing style. 

I give Bielsa a lot of credit but i think the hero worship is excessive at times.

I've seen 3 Leeds games this season. They were embarrassed twice against Man Utd and Liverpool and insipid at Burnley.

And yes, very good league position with a low budget - bit like Chris Wilder and Sean Dyche - so will be interesting to see how he does this year.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know this is ridiculous but i really do not see they hype with Leeds or Bielsa. It just comes across like a group of headless chickens against the better teams. I suppose the fact they have not spent a massive amount is one factor?

Tottenham have won leagues and cups and European trophies however.

Both have won trophies, barely any this century though. 
Bielsa is viewed as a visionary by those in the know. Never a dull match with either of them though.

Spurs first then Leeds  

47460CED-EE93-4864-982F-0FCC1DDEB783.jpeg

38F9DF06-4488-4097-AE54-98BEBE68C000.jpeg

3DA85C0B-5C0B-490F-A0CB-4AF4013B16D9.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

Bielsa's Bilbao were a great team to watch. Their performances in the Europa League in particular.

Fair enough but his Leeds team are great to watch but cannot defend for toffee.

34 minutes ago, benny said:

Fair enough but his Leeds team are great to watch but cannot defend for toffee.

i dont think they get everton if they defend well

4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

minor point but spurs were never a top/big 4 club before abramovich (At least in the premier league era) . their best finish before chelsea were bought was 7th and they mainly finished mid table around 10th

Can’t disagree with any of that!

However there is a ‘vocal’ poster on this thread who is excited that Leeds who finished 9th last season won one home game (in eight) against the 8 clubs that finished above them - thus winning 8 points from a possible 24!!

This is offered as evidence the Bielsa is a ‘tactical genius’! Moyes, Allardyce, Dyche, Hodgson all have more tactical nous than Bielsa but they’re British so folks don’t swoon over them!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

On 11/09/2021 at 14:39, CJGJ said:

Have to say the atmosphere at Palace was and is terrific

Of course it has been well organised and watching fans with megaphones allowed inside the ground surprised me

A weakened Spurs side were never really in it but the stupidity of players just continues when you watch the sending off

It was a grand day out. Atmosphere was one of the best I have experienced at Selhurst. Didn't rate Edouard at Celtic but can't complain with his introduction to Palace. No doubt we will be brought back down to earth at Liverpool on Saturday. Despite my reservations, the digital season ticket worked fine and I didn't see too many queues before the game.

Interestingly, my nephew went to Tynecastle yesterday and was complaining about the queues ahead of the game. He got to his seat 10 minutes after KO. Is that usual for the Derby these days (apologies if covered on another thread)?

20 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Leeds won't qualify for Europe this season. Like a Stendel team their defending is woeful.

If Leeds finish bottom half this season the supporters will start turning against him. If you believe the modern football supporter will take losing games 5-4 every week, great entertainment they may be, they would rather win 1-0 every week playing boring football.

That is the modern reality.

Heaven forbid if Leeds were to get relegated, he would get the bullet faster than one leaving a rifle. Despite perhaps playing entertaining football, Leeds board would be lamenting the hundreds of million of pounds they would be losing for no longer being in the EPL. That Bongo is the reality of modern football.

Goal difference from qualifying for Europe last season.

Leeds certainly make football more entertaining. Maybe people prefer Newcastle's excellent 8 man defence.

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Leeds certainly make football more entertaining. Maybe people prefer Newcastle's excellent 8 man defence.

Newcastle did better at old Trafford than Leeds 😛

32 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Newcastle did better at old Trafford than Leeds 😛

Leeds also didn't have the homecoming of CR7 to deal with either

18 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Leeds also didn't have the homecoming of CR7 to deal with either

Bruce is better than Bielsa. 

That’s that argument sorted then 👍🏻

33 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

John Mcginn getting sectarian abuse at Chelsea 😦.

Role reversal time. For once, Chelsea will be able to say: “It was Rangers fans!”

3 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Can’t disagree with any of that!

However there is a ‘vocal’ poster on this thread who is excited that Leeds who finished 9th last season won one home game (in eight) against the 8 clubs that finished above them - thus winning 8 points from a possible 24!!

This is offered as evidence the Bielsa is a ‘tactical genius’! Moyes, Allardyce, Dyche, Hodgson all have more tactical nous than Bielsa but they’re British so folks don’t swoon over them!

Giving credit were it's due they had just come up, not bad finishing 9th first season up. 

As for the other managers, Moyes that was chased out of Man Utd?

And has only recently turned his career around at West Ham? 

Fat Sam behave!! 😂

Dyche holy Sh**

Hodgson his time with England says enough for me 😂😂

Apart from Moyes the rest are poor bores 😴😴

Bielsa is thought of very highly, tactical genius you decide 👍

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Giving credit were it's due they had just come up, not bad finishing 9th first season up. 

Fat Sam behave!! 😂

Dyche holy Sh**

You keep saying this. People who we should respect keep saying this.

But his teams get ripped apart time and time again in a way that would have this place going bonkers if it happened to Robbie. It just seems so naive at times and explains why he has not won a major trophy in 30 years.

and he allows man buns in his team :rifle:

8 hours ago, milky_26 said:

More stature than success.

If you watch Fever Pitch on iplayer about the formation of the EPL, it was originally set up by the big 5.

Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd , Liverpool  and Everton. 

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But his teams get ripped apart time and time again in a way that would have this place going bonkers if it happened to Robbie. It just seems so naive at times and explains why he has not won a major trophy in 30 years.

The Leeds haircuts alone are enough for them not to be tolerated 😂

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

He won the the English Championship with Leeds, he turned down Barcelona and others he doesn't like going to teams that are made, he likes building teams and improving what he's got, that's what makes him special 😉

Again people use Robbie as a reference no i wouldn't lose my shit if Robbie was more attacking and willing to give youth a chance etc if in the long term it will benefit Hearts. 

And change the culture of the club. 

His teams get ripped apart by teams that are world class, if he set up to park the bus the same would happen. 

Good teams always find a way to score goals. 

That's football. 

He has also won against World class teams sometimes it works other's it doesn't. 

41 minutes ago, leginten said:

Role reversal time. For once, Chelsea will be able to say: “It was Rangers fans!”

Chelsea will get the guy and ban him. Thing about cctv now is every fan that indulges in discriminatory chants can be ID'd and banned.  

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bruce is better than Bielsa. 

That’s that argument sorted then 👍🏻

Most would agree apart from those that swoon for the Argentinian!

When I see him sitting on his upturned bucket he reminds me of Oor Wullie (he wasn’t a football tactical genius ether!)!

Agreed argument sorted not that it was real ….

Edited by Jambo-Fox

39 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Fat Sam behave!! 😂

Dyche holy Sh**

Bielsa is thought of very highly, tactical genius you decide 👍
The jury have given their verdict! He’s not!!

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No we don't 😂😂 trust me, we have some good attacking players like Almiron, Saint-Maximin, Wilson, Fraser, 

But we don't play to there strengths 👍

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Bielsa is thought of very highly, tactical genius you decide 👍
The jury have given their verdict! He’s not!!

You have just said the Cabbage is a better manager than Marcelo 

As a Newcastle supporter let me confirm you are talking Colin Nish 👍

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No we don't 😂😂 trust me, we have some good attacking players like Almiron, Saint-Maximin, Wilson, Fraser, 

But we don't play to there strengths 👍

The problem on Saturday was the finishing.

Newcastle would have deserved to be 2-0 up at half time, apart from conceding during the extra minute played for their time wasting. 

9 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Benitez switched to a 343 tonight. 

:tlj: not looking good so far.   

Has a habit of changing a bit too much, very much like that at Newcastle, it's what you get with Rafa. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

4 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Benitez switched to a 343 tonight. 

:tlj: not looking good so far.   

Copying Bielsa who plays 3 at back against Burnley and others who play 2 forwards.

Edited by Mikey1874

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The problem on Saturday was the finishing.

Newcastle would have deserved to be 2-0 up at half time, apart from conceding during the extra minute played for their time wasting. 

You say that mate but as someone that watched the game we allowed Man Utd far too much time you only need to see Brunos goal as an example too understand , Man Utd were never in trouble easy for them tbh. 

Infact i don't know if you noticed but when the final whistle went did you see 4/5 Newcastle players running up to Ronaldo for his shirt. 

Embarrassing tbh. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Has a habit of changing a bit too much, very much like that at Newcastle, it's what you get with Rafa but. 

Well, he had to change it because of Burnleys' 442 two tough front men according to caragher, also calvert missing up front.   So he's got three forwards, Richarlson playing center. 

I think he might change it again mind. ☺. You could be right soon enough.    It's not looking too hot.    Burnley all over them still.    Digne had to challenge a long ball from his goalie and got malkied by Burnley center half.   😂 

Edited by HMFC01

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You say that mate but as someone that watched the game we allowed Man Utd far too much time you only need to see Brunos goal as an example too understand , Man Utd were never in trouble easy for them tbh. 

Infact i don't know if you noticed but when the final whistle went did you see 4/5 Newcastle players running up to Ronaldo for his shirt. 

Embarrassing tbh. 

I saw it. You only got away with that because Ronaldo kept his shirt. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I saw it. You only got away with that because Ronaldo kept his shirt. 

More because of what the score was, just shows you what sort of mentality the players have but, years ago Newcastle challenged Man Utd, just a distant memory I'm afraid now.