English Premier League.

maroonlegions

Looks like Southampton getting another wind.   They have certainly established themselves as quality contenders for premiership status. 

They have a good group of players throughout the squad to compete against any club in prem.   Won't be long before some of their players get scouted(again!).   

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robin olsen in for pickford today for Everton.   Debut for the goalie. 

Looks like a packed midfield for Everton, fairly defensive.   Will no doubt change it in the second half.    Not much pace on the wings I think, mostly through the center. 

Edited by HMFC01

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Everton’s title bid was exciting while it lasted.

As someone once said, seeing them at the top of the table is like seeing an elephant at the top of a tree. You’ve no idea how it got there but you know it won’t be there for long.

I noticed Everton play the diamond formation today as is man utd currently.   I wonder how many other clubs are using the same formation.   I haven't noticed any yet that can recall.   It's not the same as the diamond with wingers or wingbacks, just midfielders.   I think Barcelona tried few seasons back with Messi and suarez up top. 

Was thinking if irving could get back into the hearts team we could try a similar formation.   Haring or Haliday as the anchor.  Lee on right irving left, walker the top of the diamond or Naisy. 

Most of the play goes through the middle but the full backs get forward and help get crosses in or just stretch the game.   So far Everton lost 2-1 and I suspect man United might draw or lose, so it's not considered too successful a formation so far ☺ 

I would not mind us trying it though at our level. Would not just benefit irving, Wighton could support Boyce up top. 

Hmm, looks like they've switched to 4-2-3-1 now.   Confusing.  Man utd that is. 

Edited by HMFC01

Arsenal should be winning this.   Hold up, a sub, another midfielder 🤣.   They could do with some wingers. 

Get pogba off.   Too late 🤣 1-0  penalty, thanks to the irrepressible pogba. 

Edited by HMFC01

Weird goal there.

Brighton score a well worked goal but looked to have been a foul earlier in the move.

VAR tells the ref to review the goal.He does and he somehow doesn't change his mind.1/1.

I do enjoy a Roy Keane rant after a man utd defeat.   Please don't take ole away, yet.   I am enjoying the breakdown of the faults and errors by keano too much ☺ 

20 minutes ago, benny said:

Weird goal there.

Brighton score a well worked goal but looked to have been a foul earlier in the move.

VAR tells the ref to review the goal.He does and he somehow doesn't change his mind.1/1.

The ref didn’t seem to notice it was Hojbjerg that made the contact with the ball and decided it was the tackler. The ref has been pretty useless the whole game and I’m really not sure how the hell the VAR awarded the Spurs penalty. 

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The ref didn’t seem to notice it was Hojbjerg that made the contact with the ball and decided it was the tackler. The ref has been pretty useless the whole game and I’m really not sure how the hell the VAR awarded the Spurs penalty. 

I never saw the Spurs penalty but as you said the ref has been hopeless.

Just started watching at the start of the second half.

Brighton look a decent side but struggle to get the points their play deserves.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Harry Kane is the biggest diver in the history of football. He's such a cheat. 

He is trying his best to give Salah and Mane a  run for their money.

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Here's a variation on VAR offside.

Attacker is behind the defenders but pointed to where he wanted the ball.

Excellent Decision 

Young Fulham player fecks up his Panenka to deny his team a point with last kick of the game.

Imagine it on here, if Craig Wighton had done that.:lol:

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Young Fulham player fecks up his Panenka to deny his team a point with last kick of the game.

Imagine it on here, if Craig Wighton had done that.:lol:

I think last minute or pressure  from losing penalties should be convincing and not flamboyant.   I am still having issues with that jump-land-kick style one, Fernandes and the Chelsea player do.   Suppose part of it is entertainment.  

Leicester get 8th penalty in 8 games

2 penalties today and the first was just another poor hand ball decision re 'natural position'..second was the proverbial stonewaller

Scored the first but Vardy missed the second...Leicester 1-0 up against Wolves

Spurs score late to get a 1-0 win away to WBA

Manchester City v Liverpool at 4.30pm Sky Sports 1 with Arsenal v Aston Villa at 7.15pm on PPV

Just now, CJGJ said:

Leicester get 8th penalty in 8 games

2 penalties today and the first was just another poor hand ball decision re 'natural position'..second was the proverbial stonewaller

Scored the first but Vardy missed the second...Leicester 1-0 up against Wolves

Spurs score late to get a 1-0 win away to WBA..and go top if only for a short while

Manchester City v Liverpool at 4.30pm Sky Sports 1 with Arsenal v Aston Villa at 7.15pm on PPV

Liverpool move from front 3 to front 4 with Jota playing alongside the more established 3 up front

Klopp tells it as it is and states you need to attack to beat this side (City) so no bottling it for him.....4-2-3-1 formation.

4-4 it is then !!!!

VAR penalty though again is it outwith the natural body shape of Gomez

Ref looking at screen

You just never know..penalty given...truly you just do not know these days

Missed !!!!..put wide

Is it time for the referees/UEFA/FIFA to show us all what are the 'natural positions' that defenders can take ?

Placing hands behind your back is not natural and humans use their arms for balance in case they seem to have forgotten this

Just like offside which should be based on the feet only making it simpler for all..if your foot is ahead of the defender then offside, if not then not offside

PS it has been a very good first half of football

Edited by CJGJ

Bazzas right boot

Folk on social media, etc, going on about VAR like that's at fault for these ridiculous penalty decisions. 

Ffs- no it's the rules and the way they are being applied by the officials, not actually VAR, VAR is just a tool, it makes no rules or decisions. 

Folk piss me off. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Is it time for the referees/UEFA/FIFA to show us all what are the 'natural positions' that defenders can take ?

Placing hands behind your back is not natural and humans use their arms for balance in case they seem to have forgotten this

Just like offside which should be based on the feet only making it simpler for all..if your foot is ahead of the defender then offside, if not then not offside

Yip, VAR is being used incorrectly. 

33 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Folk on social media, etc, going on about VAR like that's at fault for these ridiculous penalty decisions. 

Ffs- no it's the rules and the way they are being applied by the officials, not actually VAR, VAR is just a tool, it makes no rules or decisions. 

Folk piss me off. 

VAR is a tool intended to take the subjectivity away from decisions. You cannot do VAR and have unclear rules whereby the officials get to make a discretionary call. VAR is a tool to help officials not make mistakes. Take away the possibility of error but leave discretion, and the only thing left is bias...

This is why the OF and SFA aren't too keen on VAR - not because of money! The OF will make a little noise about VAR when it suits them and they feel wronged, but the real aim is to bank a bit of favour for next time...

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

VAR is a tool intended to take the subjectivity away from decisions. You cannot do VAR and have unclear rules whereby the officials get to make a discretionary call. VAR is a tool to help officials not make mistakes. Take away the possibility of error but leave discretion, and the only thing left is bias...

This is why the OF and SFA aren't too keen on VAR - not because of money! The OF will make a little noise about VAR when it suits them and they feel wronged, but the real aim is to bank a bit of favour for next time...

Yeah, offside should be clear, but again the rules are making a dogs dinner of that. 

Handball will never be 100%  clear but the new rules are ridiculous and making it more difficult. 

Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I get you point about handball but offside needs to include any part of the the body you can score with. 

Head needs to be offside as well for example. 

The interference rule needs changed as well imo,  anyone in the box -- offside for me whether touching the ball or not. 

Edited by Smith's right boot