Steak

Psychedelicropcircle

Seymour M Hersh
20 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Aldi steaks are surprisingly good. 

The 36 day aged sirloin ones are outstanding. Decent size and a good price (around £4). 

One of the early responses was correct.

Morrison's is the best supermarket butcher in my opinion. Good quality and value. Then Aldi's comes up with good stuff as well. No need to look elsewhere unless you're desperate to get your ribby-Japanese-eye. Matron.

28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The 36 day aged sirloin ones are outstanding. Decent size and a good price (around £4). 

I've had those. They do a similar ribeye one. Really good.

42 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The butcher at Dobbies was good; expensive, but good.  It notice a new butcher has recently taken over there.

Shaws is gone? Ah nut. That is where I get my xmas turkey and trimmings. I know sainsburys took over the food so I suppose it was on the cards.

Edited by westbow
wrong supermarket

37 minutes ago, westbow said:

Shaws is gone? Ah nut. That is where I get my xmas turkey and trimmings. I know sainsburys took over the food so I suppose it was on the cards.

Shaw's closed their Dobbies butcher, but still have their main shop in Lauder, and they do home delivery to Edinburgh, so can still get.

31 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Shaw's closed their Dobbies butcher, but still have their main shop in Lauder, and they do home delivery to Edinburgh, so can still get.

👍 Cheers

kingsknowe_jambo
6 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Is USDA beef not full of growth hormones and all that? I'm an 'A' cup already but if i lived in the US i dread to think what would happen to my moobs 

😂 you may be right about that. It’s delicious though. Can pay a bit more for organic at Whole Foods which also has great steaks 🥩 

12 hours ago, redtipsjambo said:

Was talking to a Dobbies employee, they were saying that in any future lock down they wouldn't have to shut because they were part supermarket

Was at Dobbies yesterday and the new butcher's seems to look as good as Shaws

https://www.waltersmith.co.uk

Will be having one of their pork pies for tea tonight.

On 13/09/2020 at 13:48, Tazio said:

Is it Forsyth’s that do amazing steak pies? My mum’s neighbour visits family in Peebles and brought my mum a steak pie one time and it was possibly the best I have ever had. 

Great pies yep, TBF everything in the shop is tasty. Haggis and Black Pudding are top drawer. Have a bakers next door and the Tattie scones and bread are good as well. And no I don't work for them.....

Most steaks in the shops are from Scotbeef in Queenslie, Glasgow. 
they supply Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, M&S, Asda, Sainsbury etc.

Only difference between them is the maturity. 
so a 28 day ribeye in Aldi is the same as the 28 day ribeye in M&S.

On 13/09/2020 at 17:46, kingsknowe_jambo said:

Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philly, steaks are so big they almost take up a whole pan each! I like to cook on Cast Iron and finish off with a few minutes in the oven.

DEC66D78-55F5-4003-A0C8-BAFBDC4FE125.jpeg

Wonder what it's injected with?

Governor Tarkin
On 14/09/2020 at 14:30, Greenbank2 said:

Waitrose Angus Dry Aged rib-eye. Cut to order.

Waitrose is a good option if you can afford to live in Greenbank tbf.

Spare a thought for us commoners. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 15:41, highlandjambo3 said:

Love a ribeye................

Chuck 2 spoons of brown sugar in a wee bag with teaspoon of smoked paprika and half teaspoon of salt.........bung in sliced ribeye and sliced onions, tie bag up and bung in the fridge......overnight if you can.....massage the bag every now and then......fry the lot up (no oil needed) and bung it in a sliced crusty baguette..........perfect......if it sticks a bit in the pan bung in a wee bit of water.  You won’t taste the sugar as this will caramelise......it’s my weakness ❤️

Had this two nights ago on M&S ciabatta roll, beautiful, much appreciated highlandjambo3 :laugh4:

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, rambothejambo said:

Had this two nights ago on M&S ciabatta roll, beautiful, much appreciated highlandjambo3 :laugh4:

You will eat this often.....trust me.....spice it up a bit by adding chilli.....grate in some lime zest......add garlic.....etc...etc....experiment with tastes you like.

On 14/09/2020 at 19:12, Space Mackerel said:

Costco doing Tomahawk steaks. Around £30 a pair. Thank me later. 

630BBB9E-DCA9-43E8-9238-E00812173A16.jpeg

Best steaks I ever had were tomahawks from Aldi.

Pan fried for 10 minutes in butter, then wrapped in foil and put in the oven at low temp for another 20 minutes.

So soft and tasty.   It was gorgeous.

Might take a trip to Costco.

Edited by Lovecraft