The Media - What do you think?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Just wondering what people's impression of the mass media these day's and whether you feel it is balanced or it tries to influence and manipulate their personal agenda. Or is it  a well rounded view of what goes on in this country and globally.

Also why do some media streams and outlets use famous celebrities to voice opinions of one viewpoint rather than a variety of different opinions from wider society of all backgrounds as opposed to the rich pop star, actor/actress, ex politician etc, you never hear the other side of the story! 

The print media doesn't have the same circulation or influence it had probably due to the Internet and instant changing updates and people now rely on their electronic devices and TV for news and therefore people tend to look but not always listen correctly rather than read articles in print or in the Internet Even radio news channels seem to have presenters with strong opinions 

There seems to be much more news out there but much more pish 

Any thoughts? 

The media is shite, every channel has their own political agenda. The web is worse, too much of a pain in the arse trying to separate the facts from the bullshit. I watch a few news sources and then make up my own mind.  

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The media is shite, every channel has their own political agenda. The web is worse, too much of a pain in the arse trying to separate the facts from the bullshit. I watch a few news sources and then make up my own mind.  

Pretty much sums the situation up.

one thing that annoys me is when they have a story then they will go and such and such (a nomark celeb) has said X on twitter about this. Who cares what some celebrity says about it

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Pretty much the same here.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

one thing that annoys me is when they have a story then they will go and such and such (a nomark celeb) has said X on twitter about this. Who cares what some celebrity says about it

Equally as bad is when folks take to social media or forums including on here and say that so and so says this, so we should listen to them or do as they do.

Couldn't give a flying feck what some celeb or other says or does, most don't live in the real world anyway so don't have a clue what us normal plebs are going through on a daily basis.

• 2 weeks later...
jack D and coke

The media is like anything else or anyone you listen to. You’re getting an angle. It just depends on who’s angle you’re getting and how that fits in with what you like hearing. We’re all drawn to the stuff we want to hear and the media or parts of it feed into your stupid beliefs whatever they might be and what makes you feel better. 

Seymour M Hersh

The internet is the worst thing to happen to newspapers (not just for lack of sales) but the fact they all have their online papers now they can stuff unlimited pages of dross. When it's just a paper the quality has to be much higher due to lack of space (apart from the sun, record/mirror red top shite).

I have a view on newspapers, in Scotland, that if the nonsense and lies that they print on the back pages, are reflective of their front pages, then it's best not to believe anything without further information from elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Fake twitter account announces the imminent return of Woolworths to the high Street (in the middle of a pandemic and severe economic downturn)

Daily Mail, Daily Mirror and Metro ran the story without even the most basic journalistic checks.

Of course, it was uncovered as a hoax after a few better media outlets did check it out.