Big Tellies

rudiatemyhamster

rudiatemyhamster

Got a 50 inch budget telly the other day.

OMG the technology is so good.

I can’t put my finger on why but it is really enjoyable to watch.  Seems easier than the TV before.  Way more impressed that what I thought I would be.

Its got me thinking exactly how good is a luxury telly now.....

highlandjambo3

I’ve had an LG smart tv now for about 3 years, the tech is quite amazing and, tbh, I’m not using it anywhere near its smart capacity but the picture quality is great...........

Don't know if you know this or not but, when the big chains plump out a top tv for selling in their showroom, they tend to slightly degrade the picture quality of the tv’s surrounding the “great” tv so as to enhance its appearance......seems to work........we plod over and say “oh, look how much better quality that picture is”.......kerching, one sale had 😳

1 hour ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Got a 50 inch budget telly the other day.

OMG the technology is so good.

I can’t put my finger on why but it is really enjoyable to watch.  Seems easier than the TV before.  Way more impressed that what I thought I would be.

Its got me thinking exactly how good is a luxury telly now.....

Just bought this..

7692930_R_Z001A?w=1500&h=880&qlt=70&fmt=

Delighted with this purchase. Sound is ok, but I will buy a sound bar. However its a great tv and when we start the season I will be able to watch HeartsTV on it.

Edited by Marvin
uploading pic.

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Just bought this..

Delighted with this purchase. Sound is ok, but I will buy a sound bar. However its a great tv and when we start the season I will be able to watch HeartsTV on it.

Samsung HW-N400 All in One Compact Soundbar

Just bought this too... 

47 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Just bought this..

the bit about the poor sound is the issue woth thin TVs. You do need a soundbar or surround sound system to get better use out of it

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the bit about the poor sound is the issue woth thin TVs. You do need a soundbar or surround sound system to get better use out of it

My tv is great so as per my post above yours I am looking at the Samsung soundbar to go with it. Am I better connecting via the lead or Bluetooth? 

Edited by Marvin

17 minutes ago, Marvin said:

My tv is great so as per my post above yours I am looking at the Samsung soundbar to go with it. Am I better connecting via the lead or Bluetooth? 

my parents have their soundbar connected with bluetooth and it works great. i would suggest trying both to see what yu prefer and if you can use the bluetooth as it is one less wire to hide/use

Салатные палочки

I've been trying to talk her into getting a bigger telly for ages and she keeps making excuses not to get one. We have a white Samsung which does go with the the furniture but unfortunately is really hard to get now. 

Shs refuses to acknowledge that there is a purple patch on the left hand side of the screen, which is apparently common in Samsungs, even though it is really noticeable. So I have decided that I'm just going to wait until it has taken over the whole screen and is annoying her and she can go out and buy one. Not that she could be trusted to buy anything over a 40" as "theres no need for anything bigger". 

Really feckin winds me up. 

25 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I've been trying to talk her into getting a bigger telly for ages and she keeps making excuses not to get one. We have a white Samsung which does go with the the furniture but unfortunately is really hard to get now. 

Shs refuses to acknowledge that there is a purple patch on the left hand side of the screen, which is apparently common in Samsungs, even though it is really noticeable. So I have decided that I'm just going to wait until it has taken over the whole screen and is annoying her and she can go out and buy one. Not that she could be trusted to buy anything over a 40" as "theres no need for anything bigger". 

My one is 43" and it's not as big and offensive as you might think. Since buying it, I've watched a lot of David Attenborough especially episodes about the oceans (that's what convinced me). The picture is so clear it's like looking into an aquarium. F1 if that's your cup of tea, is also great, you do get the sense of speed they are racing at. 

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Depends on how.much of an audiophile you are. HDMI ARC is probably best. Bluetooth likely wouldn't be able to handle anything other than stereo sound. So it will downgrade Netflix etc.

I just got this for our TV. Well, ours is actually the SL7Y model but this is close.

https://www.very.co.uk/lg-lg-sl6ynbspsoundbarnbsp--31ch-420w-hi-res-audio-24bit96khz-dts-virtualx-hi-res-certi-spk8-compatible/1600359130.prd?cm_mmc=google-_-BAU+-+Generic-_-Lg+Sound+Bars-_-lg+sound+bars_p33753924920_[*AdID*]&utm_campaign=Generic_Electricals+-+LG+-+Sound+Bars&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=lg+sound+bars&campaigntype=retention&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGjYEGszPwB7zJ2o049AmgyMeXPoO8UceTvtRG1SEh6n01HkIj5udPgaApWxEALw_wcB

We also bought the additional rear speakers which sit behind our couch for proper surround sound.

Seen a thing the other week explaining the recent rush for people to buy bigger screens, particularly 55" size. It all has to do with the machines they use in China to actually cut up the panes of glass. The machines can handle very large sheet sof glass which coincidentally utilise a 55" screens as most economic and least waste when cutting up the glass.

They have recently upgraded their machines however meaning that 65" will become the most common over thr next decade.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Seen a thing the other week explaining the recent rush for people to buy bigger screens, particularly 55" size. It all has to do with the machines they use in China to actually cut up the panes of glass. The machines can handle very large sheet sof glass which coincidentally utilise a 55" screens as most economic and least waste when cutting up the glass.

They have recently upgraded their machines however meaning that 65" will become the most common over thr next decade.

There a formula for working out what size screen you need to get the best out of full HD content dependant on your distance from the screen. My preferred seat for watching telly is about 2.5m from the screen and I’m quite happy with my 42” screen. However according to the guide I should have a minimum of 65” screen. 
Madness, unless your basing the entire set up of the room around your viewing habits. 

24 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There a formula for working out what size screen you need to get the best out of full HD content dependant on your distance from the screen. My preferred seat for watching telly is about 2.5m from the screen and I’m quite happy with my 42” screen. However according to the guide I should have a minimum of 65” screen. 
Madness, unless your basing the entire set up of the room around your viewing habits. 

I bought my 50inch plasma 10 years ago and worried if it would be too big as we sit about 2.5m from it. Never been a problem but I’ll probably have the same angst when I replace it with something ( likely ) bigger. 

I sit about 2.5 metres away as well, I have a 48 incher and couldn't go any smaller now. 

Any bigger would be too big though, for the distance. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

which have a guide here for it

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/what-size-tv-should-i-buy/what-size-tv-should-i-buy

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

That one agrees with the distance to screen size I have at home. I wouldn’t be surprised if the one I remember seeing was on the website for a retailer as a carrot to make people buy bigger more expensive tellies. 

Does it not depend what you use it for as well? My xbox has been getting a pounding over lockdown, there can be a lot of small details and text in games. 

Theres no such thing as too big a TV. Purely down to aesthetics and preference.

Nobody should be living with any screen smaller than 40" though.

56 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Just had to chuck my phone, ipad and laptop in the bin, cheers. 

rudiatemyhamster
6 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

that was me - the good lady refused to believe our 5yr old £100 from the charity shop tv could be improved on.  Got a 319 quid 50 inch hisence - she’s not been off the telly since 🙁it’s marvellous 

23 hours ago, milky_26 said:

There is some merit to this view - however i'd argue that the more expensive the tv the better the speakers that are built in. I have 2 TVs from the same manufacturer where one is the high spec end and the other a mid range (£600) one. The cheaper one is terrible for sound - the high spec one is pretty decent.

So my only thing i can say is - play with the settings on the TV, adjust the sound as much as possible and see if it improves then go hunting for a soundbar. The new Atmos ones are good.

Can anyone recommend a decent soundbar that won't break the bank? Doesn't have to be outstanding quality, just looking for an improvement to the default TV audio.

There isn't much space between my TV unit and the base of TV, so will need to be relatively slim. 

Edited by Ritchez

48 minutes ago, Ritchez said:

Can anyone recommend a decent soundbar that won't break the bank? Doesn't have to be outstanding quality, just looking for an improvement to the default TV audio.

There isn't much space between my TV unit and the base of TV, so will need to be relatively slim. 

I’ve got an LG one I picked up for a decent price at PCWorld at Craigleith. 

54 minutes ago, Ritchez said:

You could also look at a soundbase. It's a soundbar you actually sit your TV on. Check Richer Sounds

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars.html?soundbar_soundbase=3705

Edited by RobboM

49 minutes ago, Ritchez said:

Richer Sounds is always worth checking - they are good on price, guarantees and customer service. 

I am using this one - it's very good. 

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars/panasonic-schtb700.html

20 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It's funny to think that the 'norm' has now become massive.

I've got one that's 48" (about as big as the space can take) and a second that's 49". The second one could be bigger but, considering it replaced one in the same space that was, I think, 32" and was perfectly adequate, it seemed daft to go any bigger.

I just put one up in the bedroom (ooh-err missus!) and it's a 32" HD flat screen. £229 from Richer Sounds and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do any research 'cos it doesn't have bluetooth for the speaker but it's not like we'll be watching more than the news on it so it's absolutely fine. Despite being a big room, a bigger telly would look daft. Not that there's much to choose from between 32" and about 43".

52 minutes ago, RobboM said:

You could also look at a soundbase. It's a soundbar you actually sit your TV on. Check Richer Sounds

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars.html?soundbar_soundbase=3705

What's the difference between this and a soundbar?

I've got the Cambridge Audio TV2 soundbar which comes with a sub-woofer. It's a great piece of kit but I could do with something to boost the sound on my main TV. Wiring is likely to be the problems, though. I've currently got it paired to a bluetooth speaker which sits on the floor under the mantelpiece. Not as neat as I'd like but I didn't think about this when getting the telly in the first place.

On 13/09/2020 at 12:02, Salad Fingers said:

Keep on polishing that patch. The more vigorous the buffing, the quicker you'll get your new telly.

I had a 'flare' going through the screen of my Samsung within a couple of years of buying it. Richer Sounds replaced it with no quibble. So, if you bought your TV from Richer Sounds, don't activate the guarantee or you won't get a larger telly.

Read that as big bellies, 😏, anyway got a 40 inch LG, was a replacement (insurance) for a Panasonic 40 inch

which developed a dark patch over the rhs of the screen, never noticed till the golf was on one day.

I've just had a wee browse through Richer Sounds. Jeez! An 85 inch TV is as wide as I am tall. Absolute nuts! What size of a room would you have to have to take that? I'd have to completely remodel the house to get one of those.

Even 65" is way too big for any room in my house. I'm comfy with what I've got, thanks!

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Read that as big bellies, 😏, anyway got a 40 inch LG, was a replacement (insurance) for a Panasonic 40 inch

which developed a dark patch over the rhs of the screen, never noticed till the golf was on one day.

Better than big boabies i suppose. 

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've just had a wee browse through Richer Sounds. Jeez! An 85 inch TV is as wide as I am tall. Absolute nuts! What size of a room would you have to have to take that? I'd have to completely remodel the house to get one of those.

Even 65" is way too big for any room in my house. I'm comfy with what I've got, thanks!

Makes my 49 incher seem inadequate but I am happy with what I have too and meets all my needs. 

Should concentrate on sound/picture source ,rather than the size of TV.

Soundbars are ok,but not a patch on a dedicated av amp.

Hardwire where you can..

Avoid bluetooth as it sounds fecking awful...

Just bought a new house so treating myself with a big one for the games room upstairs. 82" Samsung Q60 QLED badboy along with the full Q70T surround sound package. Picked up the lot for $2,200 with open boxes but brand new inside vs RRP of almost 3k. Im a happy man.  

Got a 58" Panasonic in the living room but it should really be 65".

Got a 49" LG up in the bedroom and it's great. The size is ideal and because of distance it looks bigger than the 58".

I'd advise anyone to connect their TV's via ethernet instead of WiFi (cat 6 shielded cables) It's much more stable. The added bonus being it frees up the WiFi and improves the connection on your other devices.

luckyBatistuta

I’m a bit of a saddo when it comes to televisions, even got one in the wall at the end of my bath. Pretty much always get them from John Lewis or Costco, great guarantees and after sales. I once bought one from Costco and after watching it at home, I wasn’t overly impressed by the picture and went back to the shop, where I then swapped it for a completely different model of tv...not many shops will let you do that.