Passenger with little flight experience lands plane when pilot dies

redjambo

I don't know if this has been posted on here before, but I found this captivating. Audio of the comms between ATC and a hobby pilot who landed a King Air when the pilot died, with Flight Simulator view of the flight as the comms took place.

This was a tremendous outcome by all involved, from the pilot to the AT controllers, and the people they found to provide technical assistance.  Flying an unfamiliar plane is no small feat.

The pilot was incredible cool in a very stressful situation.  It would have been no surprise if he'd panicked, stalled the plane, and killed all on board.

The best 43 minutes I've watched in years, hooked after a minute. I didn't realise it but I tensed up and only released when he touched down. The little knowledge of previous flying was crucial I think. One extremely cool dude.

Wow!

That was amazing!! Thanks for posting.

That would make a good movie, especially when you watch the film Sully with Tom Hanks. This is an even better / more courageous story than even that.

Салатные палочки
9 hours ago, redjambo said:

I don't know if this has been posted on here before, but I found this captivating. Audio of the comms between ATC and a hobby pilot who landed a King Air when the pilot died, with Flight Simulator view of the flight as the comms took place.

Wow. That was incredible. I often watch ATC videos on YouTube but that is by far the best. 

He actually sounded like he was crying when ATC told him to contact ground. Imagine that release of tension once you realise your on the ground and safe. 

The King Air looks a nippy wee aircraft as well. Could imagine that slightest wee turn on the yoke would have it wobbling all over the place. 

3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Wow. That was incredible. I often watch ATC videos on YouTube but that is by far the best. 

He actually sounded like he was crying when ATC told him to contact ground. Imagine that release of tension once you realise your on the ground and safe. 

The King Air looks a nippy wee aircraft as well. Could imagine that slightest wee turn on the yoke would have it wobbling all over the place. 

That was amazing, what a superb landing.

Haven’t had a chance to watch the video. Is there suppose to be a Co pilot?

Edited by AlimOzturk

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Haven’t had a chance to watch the video. Is there suppose to be a Co pilot?

No. It was a single pilot. The wife of the guy who ended up flying the plane tried to pull the dead pilot out of the seat but couldn't do so, so she tightened his straps so that he wouldn't be get in the way (which he ended up doing a bit anyway).

15 hours ago, redjambo said:

Really, really appreciate you sharing this. Watched the entire thing and then some of the follow-up video of the awards ceremony the following year linked in the original, last night.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Really, really appreciate you sharing this. Watched the entire thing and then some of the follow-up video of the awards ceremony the following year linked in the original, last night.

Just watched the awards video (thanks for the heads-up). It is good to see those air traffic controllers recognised for their teamwork and coolness under pressure. Doug White is a funny guy too (which perhaps contributed towards his own cool head). :) 

1 hour ago, magic roundabout said:

Here's something similar that happened in the UK. Truly amazing from both passengers. 

In the dark too! Many thanks for posting that. Gripping stuff.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this to add another remarkable compilation of traffic control radio in which a 17-year-old student pilot's right wheel fell off at takeoff.

Thanks for that @Justin Z. I'm such a wuss - the moment I heard the fear in Maggie's voice the tears started coming and they didn't stop until she landed.

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for that @Justin Z. I'm such a wuss - the moment I heard the fear in Maggie's voice the tears started coming and they didn't stop until she landed.

Wuss roll call—raising my hand, any other takers?

On 13/09/2020 at 09:39, Furious Styles said:

I wouldn’t even know how to use the radio to call mayday. 
I’d probably have to get my phone out and dial 999. 

Me too as i don't know the mayday number.