Night owls or early riser?

Angel eyes

Which are you? I’ve had to change tack usually up at the crack of dawn but changed jobs  and night shifts have come into play just getting to bed 5am must admit hasn’t been as horrific as I thought though it’s two week turnaround no sure if I’d manage it as  a steady shift roads are clear, every cloud I suppose 

Suffer from insomnia fairly regularly, so:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4L05gJNqBJJ8wgo39Zwr

Don't mind getting-up at some feckin'-awful time of the morning if I'm doing so to then jump on a flight to somewhere nice, but always hated having to do so for work.

A night-shift where you're back in your scratcher by 5am sounds not bad at all... Found it tough when I was on a rota which included nights, but then I usually had to work through until 8.

42 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Which are you? I’ve had to change tack usually up at the crack of dawn but changed jobs  and night shifts have come into play just getting to bed 5am must admit hasn’t been as horrific as I thought though it’s two week turnaround no sure if I’d manage it as  a steady shift roads are clear, every cloud I suppose 

Bed at 11 and up at 8, never changes much.

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Bed at 11 and up at 8, never changes much.

Wish I could get into that kind of routine. I’m up at 5:30-6:00 every day. Even if I go to bed late I’m still up at that time and end up falling asleep in the afternoon. 😟

I struggle to sleep much more than 6/7 hours a night and normally go to sleep between midnight and one then awake before 8 although with working from home for the last 6 months i've become quite accustomed to a nap as soon as i'm done with work at 5

For years working shifts got up at 4.30 am. on retirement continued to get up early for golf games or travel etc,  Did start getting up at 6.00am, but with one thing and another lately back to old original; 4'30am.

Edited by Sharpie

been here before
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wish I could get into that kind of routine. I’m up at 5:30-6:00 every day. Even if I go to bed late I’m still up at that time and end up falling asleep in the afternoon. 😟

You and me both. Its pish.

Ill say hello first thing tomorrow. See who else is about.

54 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

my wife on days off after nights is up at 4-30😕.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

my wife on days off after nights is up at 4-30😕.

I feel for her. It’s just so annoying waking up super early when everyone else is still sleeping and there’s nothing to do. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

I feel for her. It’s just so annoying waking up super early when everyone else is still sleeping and there’s nothing to do. 

All her chores are done when i get up.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

58 minutes ago, been here before said:

You and me both. Its pish.

Ill say hello first thing tomorrow. See who else is about.

Same!

4 on 4 off shift pattern, always awake before the alarm at 05:30, never slept in in ma puff, even after a bucket.

Gulls, Magpies and Widpigeons don't help.

Edited by OBE

10 minutes ago, OBE said:

Same!

4 on 4 off shift pattern, always awake before the alarm at 05:30, never slept in in ma puff, even after a bucket.

Gulls, Magpies and Widpigeons don't help.

Try eating them earlier on in the evening - might help...   :whistling:   :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Suffer from insomnia fairly regularly, so:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4L05gJNqBJJ8wgo39Zwr

Don't mind getting-up at some feckin'-awful time of the morning if I'm doing so to then jump on a flight to somewhere nice, but always hated having to do so for work.

All of this. It goes back to my student days - I was (and still am) the world’s biggest procrastinator, and if I hadn’t mastered the art of being alert and able to function in the wee small hours a lot of deadlines would have been missed and I would have been out on my ear.

Like you, I hated getting up early for work but can certainly motivate myself for an early rise where holidays, travel etc are concerned.

Shanks said no

Bed between 0030 - 0100 and up at 0600 Monday - Friday, sleep for an hour after work. Catch up a little bit at weekends. Have had trouble sleeping for years. When I was living in Bathgate and was driving home from Edinburgh every day I was struggling big time, went to the doctors and was getting the usual brush off until I explained I was nodding off on the M8. Got sleeping tablets then but rarely used them. Fitbit monitoring my sleep pattern was probably more use.

Since moving back to Edinburgh I often missed my stop home pre lockdown and would have to get another bus back.

Always have a mare after a long holiday or xmas/NY as become a total night owl.

Both. If I conk out early I'm up all night. And I'm usually up about 3 or 4 anyway. It's my relaxing time. Telly, coffee, take the dog out, shops, paper, more coffee, feed the dog and cat, shite, shower, another coffee and off to work. Braw! 

Oh and a wee bit of JKB. 👍

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Snap!  I wake between 5.30 & 6 every morning - usually because I need a Colin Nish.  Hard to get back to sleep again and, yes, if I sit down for too long in the afternoon I catch up on what I've missed.

J.T.F.Robertson

It wasn't always like this but has been for a few years now. 

Off to scratcher 8 or 8:30, read for a short time then conk out and up again by 6 at the latest. Never used to sleep anywhere near that long and don't know if it's boredom/depression or whatever, but just can't be ersed staying up any later.

Have been on two mild anxiety meds for a number of years now and before beginning one of them I had a helluva time, waking 5 or six times a night. It was debilitating.

Didn't mean to digress to my medical history. :rolleyes:

I work a crazy array of shifts with some starting at early as 03:05 and some finishing as late as 02:30ish. I don't have the same start/finish time any two days in a row either. Body clock is messed and I'll basically sleep anytime/anywhere I get the chance. I'd bite off a tramps bumfingers for a long lie but work and family life doesn't allow to me sleep past 8 even on a good day.

Doctor FinnBarr

Before lockdown I got home about 22.20, went to bed about 2.00 and got up whenever I woke, normally 10ish.

Since lockdown I get in at the same time, go to bed at 12 and get up at 5.15 to take the wife to work for her 6.00 start, she hasn't a lift and as First and Lothian Country changed bus times she can't get a bus. She's happy to splurge a tenner on a taxi if I'm off the following day and having a drink but that's not affordable 5 days a week. I sometimes go back to bed after dropping her, I sometimes don't. Just don't know if I'm a Night Owl or early riser nowadays.

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

It wasn't always like this but has been for a few years now. 

Off to scratcher 8 or 8:30, read for a short time then conk out and up again by 6 at the latest. Never used to sleep anywhere near that long and don't know if it's boredom/depression or whatever, but just can't be ersed staying up any later.

Have been on two mild anxiety meds for a number of years now and before beginning one of them I had a helluva time, waking 5 or six times a night. It was debilitating.

Didn't mean to digress to my medical history. :rolleyes:

At least you didn’t mention if you have to get up for the loo during the night.

😉

AlphonseCapone

I force myself to stay awake as late as possible. Sometimes that's 11 if I've had a hard day, other times it's 3 or 4. I'm usually up anywhere from 7 till 10. I hate/fear sleeping.

Салатные палочки

I've always been an early riser. 9.30-10ish is a long lie for me. Now we're up about 6.30 every morning with the wee one. 

If I'm working the next day I usually go to bed about 8 and read or watch the TV until I fall asleep then up at 6.30. Weekends ill sometimes stay up til 1 or 2 watching a film and again, up at 6.30am. 

If the wee one is staying over somewhere, we say we'll have a long lie and I find myself downstairs at 7.30am having a coffee as it gives me the chance to watch telly in peace. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I force myself to stay awake as late as possible. Sometimes that's 11 if I've had a hard day, other times it's 3 or 4. I'm usually up anywhere from 7 till 10. I hate/fear sleeping.

I certainly can relate to your last sentence.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye up at 8 to make the wifes breakie coming off nightshift 😀.

Grow a backbone man, she should be making yours.

:onesie:

Changed over time.

Used to be a total night owl but missing half the day became annoying.

Now I like getting up early to get all the daily tasks done then it's easy street all day after that.

Only time I'm up proper late is if the bevvy is on the go.

Still pull all-nighters from time to time.

Before the lockdown used to start at 5am so up at half 3, since March now we start at 2am, so up at 12.30am finish at 11amish try to relax for an hour then a couple of hours sleep, Netflix, YouTube then tea, hopefully fall asleep at 8pmish doing this 6 days a week totally throw's your sleep pattern all over the place, so 12.30 am does that makes me a late riser or early?