Contracts for 5 Academy Kids

Footballfirst

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye his dads a fair size too.

He is in this clip at 1' 30" in along with the other U18 keeper Harris Spratt.

• 4 weeks later...
jamboinglasgow
On 11/09/2020 at 10:38, Bigteam said:

Callum Flatman best of the lot but decided not to sign and now looking down south and abroad. A few really good  players in that year group not offered contracts this time round ( Winger  C Hambrook, M Thomas striker, F Pollock midfield/wide) 

Just seen him announce on instagram that he has now signed a 3 year deal with Hearts.

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just seen him announce on instagram that he has now signed a 3 year deal with Hearts.

Haven't seen him play but pleasing to hear given people are saying he is one of the most promising players.

14 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Can you send me the link I can't find him on there? Need it for football manager PC game

jamboinglasgow
45 minutes ago, VivaObua said:

Can you send me the link I can't find him on there? Need it for football manager PC game

Pm'd you the link

On 10/10/2020 at 21:05, jamboinglasgow said:

Yes he seemingly  did not enjoy the experience down south and is now fully committed to Hearts - his younger brother is on the books at Motherwell

On 12/09/2020 at 11:19, Footballfirst said:

With a few odd exceptions I don't get the sense that we have a group of potentially talented players coming through together until you get down to 2007s and younger. 

It is quite unusual to get a lot of quality players in the same age group. 2001/02 was similar in that sense to 1993/94 (Walker, Holt, McKay, McHattie, Mullen, D Smith, Hamilton Carrick, B King)

There's  only really a couple out of that group that have done ok. It just goes to show that being a promising youngsters counts for very little once they get to the full time contract stage.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

There's  only really a couple out of that group that have done ok. It just goes to show that being a promising youngsters counts for very little once they get to the full time contract stage.

Yip, there’s a lot to be said to play BC at a decent to 15/16 before heading to ‘Pro Youth’

2 hours ago, Hesh said:

Yip, there’s a lot to be said to play BC at a decent to 15/16 before heading to ‘Pro Youth’

Are there good examples of kids making it through this route?

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, Bigteam said:

Are there good examples of kids making it through this route?

Callum Paterson is probably one of the best examples for us, came to us at 15 from Tynecastle FC.

Though I also think there is not a one size fits all to player development, some suit going through boys clubs then pro-youth, some are better going through pro-youth at a young age.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Callum Paterson is probably one of the best examples for us, came to us at 15 from Tynecastle FC.

Though I also think there is not a one size fits all to player development, some suit going through boys clubs then pro-youth, some are better going through pro-youth at a young age.

Brad McKay was another who came to Hearts from Edinburgh City youths at age 17, then was immediately farmed out to Penicuik for a season.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think that’s fair comment 

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Calum Flatman in the evening news today, talking about going on trial at Spurs but chose to sign for us instead.  Compares himself in style to Nemanja Vidic.

4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Interview with Calum Flatman in the evening news today, talking about going on trial at Spurs but chose to sign for us instead.  Compares himself in style to Nemanja Vidic.

The lad was about 7 when Vidic was at his peak :lol:

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Was an interesting read, especially talking about motivations to move down and why things changed. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/new-hearts-signing-explains-why-he-chose-tynecastle-over-spurs-3011756

13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Was an interesting read, especially talking about motivations to move down and why things changed. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/new-hearts-signing-explains-why-he-chose-tynecastle-over-spurs-3011756

Didn't know Hughes and Berra had done coaching with the laddies, great teachers to have at such a young age

Guest ToqueJambo
On 12/09/2020 at 06:47, Lfhearts said:

Think you need to wisen up, it's about money, Flatman by far the best prospect will earn a lot more and learn a lot more than he would up here, little pathway for young players to develop at Hearts in first team, Hickey being the exception, this season is hopefully different as we should have no option but to play youths in games but not flatmans age group.

If you mean debut at 16, £1.8m move to Serie A a year or so later then Hickey is always going to be the exception. There's no doubt youngsters will get a chance at Hearts, so that has to be a good draw given we're a big club by Scottish standards, and then it's up to them to make the most of it as the likes of Hickey, Paterson, Naismith, Walker, Gordon, etc have done in the past. Even this season, Irving, Brandon, Cochrane, Henderson, McGill and Moore seem to be in Neilson's plans. And they have Walker, Gordon and Berra to look up to as examples of kids who came through as youth players at Hearts. For every Hickey or Paterson though we'll always have probably 6 or 7 Kings, McHatties, McGhees, etc who break through, look decent at first, but don't push on for whatever reason. 

I have blocked a certain poster and blocked his input and where his posts are quoted and I have just had to read the first words of crap before I recognised the style and typical content and noticed that my immediate reaction was confirmed when I saw the handle.

What's up?

Away to sterilise my computer.

Players develop at different rates, those that were considered Pro-youth prospects at U13 don't make the grade and are released by the time they reach U16.  Likewise there are late developers playing at youth clubs who do not get picked up until they are playing U19.

Granted Jason Cummings was at Hearts until released at U16 but he developed playing with Hutchie and Hibs signed him from their U19s.

The story is that Hearts were going to release Craig Gordon as a youth as he was not considered tall enough, but after considering the height of members of his family, he was kept on and duly sprouted.

Edited by Tasavallan

11 hours ago, Finlay James said:

If he's half as good as Vidic he'll be excellent. 

6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

If he's half as good as Vidic he'll be excellent. 

Exactly my thought when I read it 👍

On 12/10/2020 at 10:37, wavydavy said:

If by ok you mean forged a career as a professional footballer, then fair enough. They've all achieved that to varying degrees, but professional footballers nonetheless.